UKGT 2010/11 session, heat dates with in

Iron-Daemon Forge

Did anyone take photos of the weekend??

I have a few photos on my phone (thought I'd left my camera at home, but turns out it was in the car the whole time! Ragin'!). There are only a few as I had limited memory, and they are just of some of the cool armies I saw around but I'll post them up later when I get home.

Saw you around IP, but didn't have a chance to come talk to you. I was with the Glasgow Deathwatch along with Eddie. I ended up second top of the Space Marines, which I am well chuffed about! And I had top marks for the "favourite army" (i.e. Favourite opponent/best sportsman etc - whatever you chose to base your vote on), which was also brilliant.

I didn't think the scoring system was difficult to understand - 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss. They total up everyone's points who plays a particular army, and take the average. Then they compare your result to your race's average and if you have more points above your race's average than anyone else has above their race's average, then you win overall. Theoretically it should be harder to win overall if you take a race that lots of people play. What you want to do is take an averagely poor race to use in a tournament, and try to come up with an awesome army list and learn to use it really well. That way your race's average should be rather low, but if you can pull it off you can come out with a high score above the average.

What I was confused about was the "favourite army" (the one where you vote for your favourite opponent over the weekend) scoring. I got 5 points for that, but everyone got at least one, which shouldn't happen if they just give you one point for each vote if some people got 3 or 5 points. Does anyone know how they assigned points for this?

You got 1 favourite army point for up to 1 favourite army nomination.

Right, okay, so anyone who had 1 point got either 0 or 1 vote? That's about what we figured - 0-1 votes = 1 point. 2 votes = 3 points. 3 votes = 5 points? We didn't see anyone with 2 or 4 votes on the sheet.

who won it? the army one, which list won? :P
Not sure which was the winner of the painting contest but the overall gaming champ was Steve Yates who was playing new DE. There was a bit of a debate afterwards with a few people though as there were only 2 DE players in the tournie and this meant that the average overall score would be tricky to determine. Needless to say there were quite a lot of unhappy bunnies leaving yesterday afternoon largely because of the lack of clarity of the scoring system. I had to feel for Gone Fishing who also suffered as a result of the new system. Both Storm Bringer and myself were convinced that with a tally of 4 wins and a draw he was going to take the top spot as Tau general for the weekend and be in the running for ToS champ. However when the results were announced he lost out to a guy that had won 4, lost 1 but managed to get 2 votes for 'best army' which placed him 1 point ahead. To my mind that's still not quite right, true the points for 'best army' are there to drive a better spirited attitude towards the game (and with my weekend it was the saving grace as I managed to get 3+ votes for best army (5 tournie points) but was otherwise white washed with 5 losses!!! :D ) but I'm wondering if it's actually balanced right.

Great result for IP. His SW's look the business and no mistake!!!

Was good to catch up with some of the B&C crew that I hadn't met face to face before (IP & Sgt Campbell) as well as hooking up with Idaho again. We'll have to try and get a game in at some point (looking at IP & Idaho).

It was also really good to go toe to toe with Sgt Campbell in game 3. Given his comments about reading my stuff on the OI forum it felt a bit like when Darth Vader killed Obi Wan in star wars ("The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master") although its fair to say Sgt Campbell couldn't be called a master of darkness and I'm hoping that we'll get the chance to meet up and game in a little less formal atmosphere in the not too distant future.

Anyway, I might get around to posting some stuff in a bit more detail on the OI forum later in the week. Well done to all, let's do it again sometime soon.

What De list did he have?

Did anyone take photos of the weekend??

I have a few photos on my phone (thought I'd left my camera at home, but turns out it was in the car the whole time! Ragin'!). There are only a few as I had limited memory, and they are just of some of the cool armies I saw around but I'll post them up later when I get home.

Saw you around IP, but didn't have a chance to come talk to you. I was with the Glasgow Deathwatch along with Eddie. I ended up second top of the Space Marines, which I am well chuffed about! And I had top marks for the "favourite army" (i.e. Favourite opponent/best sportsman etc - whatever you chose to base your vote on), which was also brilliant.

Yes I notice your army on table 3 on the first round. Sorry if I never had much time to talk to yourself. Like you said it was a busy time. I barely had much time in bugman bar, as soon as one game ended I pack & then seem as though another game was upon us.

I know round 4 going to 5 I was very rush, had to say sorry to the oppent as I try to grab my army & stuff from servel diffrent tables.

Also if you say well done to Eddie, his BA army is really cool. Given me a lot of idea for my own Blood Angels army, already got one but make a brand new one, preview of it should be that Conflict Scotland. Also how did his game go vs Nick with the Dark Eldar on Sat night??

But I felt very rush this year for some reason.

Also how did his game go vs Nick with the Dark Eldar on Sat night??

Haha! Eddie beat him! His DC Dread slaughtered the Incubi (although they HAD just killed the Death Company, with the Archon killing the Librarian), and it then proceeded to spend several turns chasing the Archon off the table. It was quite comical. Eddie won 2-0 on objectives in the end, but it was a great game.

@antique_nova

Here's a copy of my list. Pretty straightforward really, the trick is not to get shot. It worked in most the games until i ran into a Tau army and got torn apart.

HQ

Drazhar

Haemonculus Venom Blade, Shattershard, Casket of Flensing

Elites

4x Incubi in Venom with Splinter Cannon

Troops

9x Wyches Hekatrix Hydra Gauntlets Agoniser in Raider

10x Wracks 2x Liquifier Guns in Raider

10x Warriors Shredder Splinter Cannon Sybarite with Agoniser in Raider

5x Wracks Liquifier Gun in Venom with Splinter Cannon

Heavy Support

Ravager with Night Shield

Just to clear up the different Dark Eldar codex - the other player spoke to GW about three months ago and asked which Codex they'd be using, of course he was told the old one (as they'd not announced the new one then). However the rulespack allowed us to take any in-print Codex so i turned up with the new one. I'd only had two weeks of playtesting but did manage to get an awful lot of playtesting done in that time. Fortunately i've been playing Dark Eldar for years so it wasn't that bad a change although i had to very quickly build two Venoms and make some Liquifier guns.

The best-painted army was won by Yannis Krommydas who also won the best Eldar General Certificate.

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone i played, it was a much friendlier event that the Grand Tournaments, really enjoyable.

Steve

If this is allowed to stay on, not being a power armoured list, you might want to take the individual points costs for wargear off of that list mate. It is against forum rules.

By the way, is it true that you didn't win in the end? Was it the Ork guy? I don't mean to discredit you or make a fool of you, I genuinely am interested.

Thanks, I've removed the points costs, i didn't think, i just cut & paste. If it helps with you guys i do have a Power Armoured Army :P I've got a Red Scorpion Battle Company and then some at home.

I've not heard that I didn't win. Certainly no one has spoken to me about it and the trophy is sat in my cabinet at home :tu: I must admit i don't know exactly how the scoring works - i think i was more surprised than anyone when i won! From what I did hear it came between me and another guy who were on equal points (average points at least) so they went to the army lists. I had typed mine up nicely and with a full background so i won over his basic excel sheet (or something like that).

@antique_nova

Here's a copy of my list. Pretty straightforward really, the trick is not to get shot. It worked in most the games until i ran into a Tau army and got torn apart.

Steve

Ah, the Doppleganger of Phoenix Knight!!!

Steve, if I'm right in the assumption the Tau general you faced was Gone Fishing who lurks on here now and again. I believe that you also met Phoenix Knight during your game with Gone Fishing (another Steve who plays DE & SM's)?

Tell me, do you work for GW or would that be another namesake because that would be REALLY weird!!!

That's right! I met the other Steve Yates while playing the Tau. I'm guessing that it must have been Gone Fishing that i played. He has three Hammerheads, 3 units of Kroot and a whole host of other big guns. I nearly managed a draw but by the time the dice finally ended the game it wasn't so much a case of clean up as paint over!

I worked for GW until about a year ago so that would also be me.

I must admit i don't know exactly how the scoring works - i think i was more surprised than anyone when i won!

They compare how many points above your race's average your score is. No offence to you, but with only two Dark Eldar players scoring, according to the sheets we got at the end, 12 and 13 each, that's an average of 12.5. With your score (again according to the sheets), of 13, that's only 0.5 above the race average, which would not have been enough to win.

I don't mean to be the bearer or bad news, or shoot you down and take away your moment. I'd only heard from one of my friends that they had apparently mis-calculated the results and made a mistake, and it was the (rather unpopular) Ork guy who won overall. Certainly I know that Eddie's Blood Angels scored 18 overall with a race average of 9, so a score of 13 with a race average of 12.5 should not have beaten that, and Eddie wasn't the overall winner anyway.

I hope, for you, that what I heard isn't true. Since they messed up I'm sure they will allow you to keep the trophy though if it is. And besides, I got the impression that what matters is whether you came top of your own race (certainly, as second top Space Marine player, that's what I'm going to cling on to!)

That's right! I met the other Steve Yates while playing the Tau. I'm guessing that it must have been Gone Fishing that i played. He has three Hammerheads, 3 units of Kroot and a whole host of other big guns. I nearly managed a draw but by the time the dice finally ended the game it wasn't so much a case of clean up as paint over!

I worked for GW until about a year ago so that would also be me.

Heh heh heh, there you go, no such thing as anonymity where the forces of the inquisition are concerned. :)

Yeah, that'll be Gone Fishing's list. It's fair to say you did well to hold him to a draw for so long, he is the Tau master and i'd bet there's not many other Tau generals out there who know what their lists can do to the extent that he can. A worthy opponent by any measure.

Steve, Phoenix Knight (SM/DE) and myself (SoB/WH) are Nottingham residents so if you ever fancy a game drop us a line. Equally Gone Fishing & Storm Bringer (one of the 2nd place SW players/Nids) are also fairly regular visitors to our neck of the woods and we're always up for playing against new people.

Well done on the winning the ToS. Needless to say we've also congratulated Phoenix Knight of being a ToS champ as well.

why was the ork guy unpopular?
'cause he was an Ork nob? Heh heh heh

Haha! Just that everyone (okay the two people - one from this forum and one from my team) that I know played him did not like him much. Apparently he was not exactly a sporting or all that friendly opponent, and I'm told tried to cheat. I never played, nor talked to the guy personally, so I'm not going to pass judgement on him myself.

Haha! Just that everyone (okay the two people - one from this forum and one from my team) that I know played him did not like him much. Apparently he was not exactly a sporting or all that friendly opponent, and I'm told tried to cheat. I never played, nor talked to the guy personally, so I'm not going to pass judgement on him myself.

Best not to get involved, a mature and wise decision!

@ Poodelmoose: Congratulations on taking home the prize. If they let you keep it of course!

@ Poodelmoose: Congratulations on taking home the prize. If they let you keep it of course!

@Poodelmoose: Congratulations either way! Still top of your race, and 13 points is still up there as a high score! (It's what I got, but sadly I only ended up second in my race!)

...don't mention deathrollers eh? :yes:

...don't mention deathrollers eh? :HQ:

Indeed. Getting an ear full from his mate for critising him on Warseer.

Oh well, guess I made some friends there.

Sorry folks but it would be best to leave the subject of which has happen & ignore what going on by other fourms on the issue.

So will people be attending more ToS events?? I'd possible be looking that April ToS as another event & then one possible around Oct time.

IP

Archived