Iron Warriors 49th Grand Company "The Iron Hounds"

Sure, of course I'm off to a late start...

So I started off my vow completions with the Big Man himself, Typhus:

gallery_53134_7133_69518.jpg

gallery_53134_7133_15042.jpg

gallery_53134_7133_77249.jpg

gallery_53134_7133_33168.jpg

gallery_53134_7133_45693.jpg

I will admit to having little idea about how to do a Death Guard or Nurgle themed colour scheme. I went with a simple and fast method: base in Rotting Flesh, wash with Thraka Green, call it a day.

I like him though. I'm going to do my 7 Plague Marines in the same way.

Nothing much to see here. I'm just posting the "before" photo of my Plague Marines for the COC VII.

gallery_53134_7133_57927.jpg

I ended up with all my Nurgle stuff just because I liked the models. I doubt I'll ever really play them, but I have used them as a demo army before. Since I am not really going to ever play them seriously I just went ahead and assembled them just like on the box without any thought to optimal wargear or anything. In short, my small Death Guard collection is just an army for looking at.

This is also why my Nurgle Daemon Prince isn't going to have wings when I get around to assembling him.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the Plague Marines based coated and washed, going to work on the details soon.

In the meantime I got the construction of the Rhino started. I'm converting it to look older like my Relic Predator project, and while waiting for greenstuff to dry I pulled the Deimos out and did some more work on it:

gallery_53134_7133_10613.jpg

I added some layers of putty over the foam, because the foam would never stand up to regular use. Then I sanded it smooth. Then I did my level best construct a mantlet with plastic and putty, and it's not the best thing but it's not the worst either so I'm going with it. What I want to be able to do is magnetise the main weapon systems, so I abandoned my original idea of putty-ing the plasma destroyer directly to the turret.

I cut the middle section out of the ammo bin from the regular Predator turret kit, and then glued it to a hatch (after dry fitting with blue tac to make sure it was OK.) I'm going to add more putty to the undersides there when the original is dry.

Here is where I am with the Nurgle Rhino for the CoC:

gallery_53134_7133_30320.jpg

Instead of the rounded guards for the exhaust like the Predator I went with shortening the original stacks. Once I get both sides sanded I'm going to add the pipes and the running boards. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the upper handrails. That depends on whether or not I think I can do it without looking like poop. I'm definitely doing the rounded doors, obviously.

I want to do the Nurgle fly icon on the upper hatches, and I'm going to do the Mk1 style front, too. I haven't yet decided how much I want to do with battle damage or mutations. This isn't my regular Iron Hounds army so I can run wild with that sort of thing.

• 1 month later...

Has it really been over a month since I've updated this thing? I'm glad the holidays are mostly over now..

I'm still working on my CoC vow, I just don't have anything to show right now. I also pulled the plasticard off the Relic Predator. I finally realised I wasn't happy with how it was going and pulled the mantle off to redo, and then I was finally able to get to sleep. It was literally keeping me awake. I've also got the guys to finish up my Chaos Rapier Battery squad, I just need to get that done.

But anyway, of course I got an idea to start a whole new unit on top of all the other madness I'm working on right now.

Here is a sneak peek at the most heretical project I have yet conceived:

gallery_53134_7133_70716.jpg

There is a convoluted story that comes from two separate Dark Heresy campaigns I played in, but I won't Wall of Text you with the details here. The upshot of all of it is that the Iron Hounds now have a single squad of gene-engineered bio-enhanced women with a pseudo-Sisters of Battle-ish theme. No boob plates, because these women are genetic monsters, not pious orphans. I decided they would be Raptors because the champion is basically my retired Dark Heresy Seraphim character (looooong story.)

I've got Statuesque "heroic female heads" on the way, and by the time I get them I should have at least the first five built with green stuffed robes. I need another set of the new Raptor jump packs to make a full squad of ten, though.

NEAT! I was going to say that he had some over sized sleeves but after reading the text I liked the idea. 

I tried making a seraphim with kabalite warriors, the scourges, and marine jump packs but that...that went bad thanks to insufficient skill with GS and sculpting. So I am interested in seeing this!

I'm pretty jazzed about finally starting this project. It's been rattling around in the back of my head for a while now. I was really disappointed to discover that Meow Meow Minis had closed up shop, so when I saw the Statuesque heads I jumped at it. I maybe would have used the Dynath female marine torsos, but they're Egyptian themed and I wasn't into that. But you don't really need boob plates if the heads are bare, and it makes more sense for them not have them anyway.

What's holding me up right now is that three out of five of the women I have done have magnetised arms, and I'm putting off doing the robes on those until I figure out exactly what weapons to go with first.

I have a lot of plates spinning right now in WIP land. I will try and finish a couple of them in January so this thread will have an actual point to it. unsure.png

Archived