Iron Warriors 49th Grand Company "The Iron Hounds"

I wanted to put up the completely painted Land Speeder, but this is where my eyes started to get fuzzy. I'm also coming to grips with my imminent LPC failure. Which is OK, because it's still motivated me to get a lot done that I probably wouldn't have otherwise, but I probably should have shot a little lower. Or screwed off less, whatever.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/chaos-speeder-1-wip-008.png

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/chaos-speeder-1-wip-009.png

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/chaos-speeder-1-wip-010.png

I have an ever growing collection of devices used to prime models. I had to construct a rig just for Land Speeders so I could prime the whole thing in one go without having to touch it. It's funny how accomplished one can feel gluing a plastic tube to a round piece of foam board and taping a toothpick to the top of it.

I'm going to go back over those hazard stripes tomorrow when I'm sure I can see straight. The one black wing section is a squad identifier. I reckon I'll do the left wing for the second one, and then something clever I haven't thought of yet for the third one. I was originally going to freehand Gothic numbers on the sides, but my practice runs made me decide that something simple and easier to see from far away was a better idea.

This is coming across quite nicely :)

How much of the LPC have you got left?

Thanks!

I've got a Defiler and a Dreadclaw done.

I'm pretty sure I can finish the 2 Land Raiders, 1 Vindicator, 1 Rhino, and 1 Land Speeder. All those models need is some finishing touches.

That leaves me 2 Predators, 2 Land Speeders, 2 Defilers, and 1 Rhino that would take a miracle for me to get done before the deadline. Out of those I might be able to get some work done on the first Predator or the third Defiler, because they are primed and ready to go. The other things are in various stages of assembly still.

So I'm looking at a probable half of my LPC vow... :tu:

• 4 months later...

Haven't posted in my WIP thread since March, back when I was finishing up my last semester of college. I've got a handful of projects on the go right now, some of them allied detachments. But I'm also working on my backlog of half finished Chaos Marine stuff, too. Here are my three Obliterators that I converted up, finally with paint on them:

gallery_53134_7133_133089.png

gallery_53134_7133_244893.png

gallery_53134_7133_65181.png

gallery_53134_7133_151141.png

gallery_53134_7133_75311.png

gallery_53134_7133_242640.png

I notice on the Plasma Cannon I have some touch up to do. Always find stuff in pictures I missed with the eyeball...

To recap for these guys, my Obliterators are not guys with the Obliterator virus, but "Obliterator"-class Cataphracti seconded to the Iron Hounds by the Dark Mechanicum's Legio Nefandum.

So here's my first Deathwatch model WIP:

gallery_53134_7133_182880.png

gallery_53134_7133_289565.png

gallery_53134_7133_39621.png

gallery_53134_7133_73461.png

I've been getting around to a lot of things lately that I've been talking about for a while. These Deathwatch are going to be counts-as Rubric Marines. Why? Because I like to push the boundaries, that's why. They will be led an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor that's pretty far down the rabbit hole of radicalism that will be the Aspiring Sorcerer. I forget which Inquisition philosophy covers it, but he's one of those "use the enemy against itself" people, he's just a little too far gone for his own good, and now he's got his team mixed up with the Iron Hounds.

About the counts-as stuff: the big shield is the Invuln save, and the master crafted bolter is the Hellfire ammunition. The Sorcerer Commands will show their confusion and indecision at finding themselves among the Enemy without their Inquisitor. I'm going to mix in some Blackshields (for mystery), but paint most of the shoulder pads in colors of questionable loyalist chapters, those who are themselves heading down the path to damnation.

Glorious Heresy! Mua ha ha ha haaaa!

I did some modeling last night, and now have two short squads done. First, my Deathwatch Kill-Team:

The radical Inquisitor and one of his marines:

gallery_53134_7133_6456.jpg

Two Deathwatch marines on the move:

gallery_53134_7133_96323.jpg

A Deathwatch marine hunkered down behind his boarding shield:

gallery_53134_7133_64110.jpg

From another angle:

gallery_53134_7133_32385.jpg

I reckon on doing about half of them hunkered down to shoot, and the other half in a moving pose.

Here's my short squad of Plague Marines:

Sergeant and marine:

gallery_53134_7133_110951.jpg

Two more marines:

gallery_53134_7133_76409.jpg

And this guy has a "personal icon" in the form of a teleport homer:

gallery_53134_7133_129958.jpg

Another angle:

gallery_53134_7133_15169.jpg

I'm going to be using my Landspeeders as Blight Drones, and to use a Blight Drone I need to have a unit of Plague Marines in my list. My apothecary and his zombies aren't always appropriate (fluff-wise), so I made a second unit of regular Iron Hounds, but instead of actual Plague Marines they are forward observers for the Fleet. They direct the Blight Drone/Landspeeders and can use the teleport homer (personal icon) to deepstrike reinforcements to guard objectives in the backfield.

I bought the Kromlech samurai heads just because I thought they looked neat, then thought they would be a good way to distinguish this unit from the rest of my Iron Hounds. They will be orange and black, but I'm going to come up with a special shoulder pad insignia to show that they are not one of the regular line units.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

November, Update 1

This evening I started work on my Iron Warriors squad for the Call of Chaos V. I've got MkIII helmets and the Iron Warriors shoulder pads, but no money for the full MkIII set from Forge World, so I'm having a go at making some out of putty. Here is a picture of the first three:

gallery_53134_7133_80647.jpg

Of course, When I headed out for the FLGS to work on these models tonight I was in a bit of a hurry, and as such I forgot that I had the Iron Warriors shoulder pads. Then I saw them on the shelf when I got home a little while ago, and now I'm trying to decided if I should just let these three guys stay as they are so I can use those three shoulder pads for other projects later. Probably will do that, because it would actually be four IW shoulder pads that didn't get used, and I could combine those with a custom sergeant model and have a full squad of 5...

Anway, this is my first official update of the Call of Chaos, and update 1 of 2 required for November. The next one these three will be painted and I'll probably have the Warpsmith and IW sergeant assembled. I cut out and cleaned up the Warpsmith today too, but I didn't feel like bothering with assembly just yet.

Until next time, thanks for looking and any comment or critiques are welcome!

EDIT: to add the proper update format

Well Max they're definitely not hideous and it's far better than I can do with sculpting. Not that they look bad as is, but it'll probably look alot better with paint though, I wouldn't worry.

Heh, thanks for allaying my doubts. It's hard to judge something I've done myself.

• 3 weeks later...

November, Update 2

I really need to spend more time painting...

gallery_53134_7133_38776.jpg

gallery_53134_7133_14714.jpg

These guys are Iron Warriors vets from the Horus Heresy and are a standing honor guard and "legacy squad" among the Iron Hounds. This is why they've kept the Iron Warriors color scheme, modified only by the Iron Hounds colors on the right shoulder guard. And stuff...

I'm not sure I'm happy with my putty attempts at MkIII armour. I wanted to have a go at it, and I did, but I might just make the other six dudes normal like except for the Mk III head and IW shoulder pad.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm unhappy with the way the converted "Iron Armour" is coming out, and will be abandoning that project, and by extension the Call of Chaos V. If I go forward, then I'm going to have a squad I'm not happy with. I'm still going to do the sergeant and the Warpsmith, but the 9 CSM from the IW squad are going to have to wait until summer, when I believe I will be able to do them justice.

Moving right along, the LPC is going on now, and for that I'm doing 3 CSM bearing Icons of Excess, 3 CSM bearing Icons of Vengeance, and a Heldrake. All of these are already converted and modeled and all that, so I won't be abandoning the LPC like the CoC.

So, to start that off, here is my CSM bearing Icons of Excess:

gallery_53134_7133_20551.jpg

It's an obvious conversion choice, really. I got the idea for the narthecium conversion from a thread on the Chaos Ascendant forum where someone linked to a conversion tutorial. I can't find that thread or remember where the tutorial came from, so I can't link it. But it's pretty simple, and I made it even more simple with mine. The original called for a TDA flamer, but I went with a "hold a frag grenade"-style arm from the basic SM squad box as the base, then added putty to bulk up the forearm and mount the other bits. I modified chainswords from the CSM squad box, cutting them down to half, and the syringe is from the SM squad box. It's the spare missiles cut into three pieces. The tutorial had three of these, and only used the one with the needle looking thing on the end. I couldn't find more than one, so I cut off the tips of the other two missiles, drilled holes in them, and added in some cut-off pieces of straight pins.

I also stick one of them pretty deep into my thumb when I was mounting it in the hole, so remember to be very careful at that stage if you have a go at making your own. That sucker was in there and bleeding pretty good, but I yanked it out with pliers then smeared some super glue on the wound. It's funny how you learn to be casual about that sort of thing as a hobby modeler...

The gene-seed containers are from the Dark Angels conversion kit. They are some kind of lantern thing, but they come in pairs and are the perfect size to put gene-seed into. They also fit the baroque theme of Chaos Marine armour, and were dirt cheap from my favorite bits store.

The three Icon of Vengeance bearers are pictured earlier in this thread, the squad banner bearers from before, so I won't include them again until they've got paint on them.

The last thing I'm doing for the LPC is painting my Heldrake conversion. It needs to be done ASAP, since I never play a game without it anymore. I guess since I'm dropping out of the Call of Chaos I'm going to be modeling and painting a spawn soon, too...

I've got my first man painted, I just need to base him.

gallery_53134_7133_30374.jpg

He's the Chief Medic, which is why he's got the hazard stripes on his leg. The other guys have normal CSM legs that will just be white with the red trim. On the left pauldron I've got the "orange and black with white skull and crossbones" device of the Iron Hounds. Pretty much Codex Astartes style, I guess. I'm going to say this is because following the break from Legion traditions, the Warsmith adopted certain loyalist practices because he saw that they worked well, and the paint scheme came along with other medic doctrine.

Oh yeah, these are Icon of Excess bearers, because the Iron Hounds do not consort with daemons or the Ruinous Powers (see signature for why.)

And looking at the picture, as always, I see a couple of areas that need to be touched up and highlighted...

Very nice medics Max. Too bad you lost that link, I'm going to try to searchy for it though as customizable narthecarums would be nice.

FOUND IT!

The thread where we talked about it is here, and the outside tutorial I based my narthecium conversion is here.

I just had to dig a little bit to find it. I hope that helps anybody who wants to try the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I should be painting, but I really wanted to get started on this idea I had for a Forgefiend conversion:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/marauder-wip-001.jpg

My otaku obsession is mecha, and when I needed to come up with a non-daemon Forgefiend I looked to one of my favorite shows from growing up: Macross/Robotech. And also Battletech. So here's my Officer's Tactical Battlepod/Glaug/Marauder-styled Forgefiend.

The main armament are counts-as Hades Autocannons, modeled out of plastic and putty, with the ball joints cut off of LEGO Bionicles. The base model is a DUST Tactics "Heinrich" model. The counts-as Ectoplasma Cannon is a Plasma Cannon from a Venerable Dreadnought that's been extended with tubing and guitar string. It's magnetized so I can remove it if I don't want to pay the 25 points extra. The base is an old CD that I traced a flying base from and cut-out with scissors, then heaped old Milliput on top of.

I need to put some Chaos bits on it, but I'm unsure where to start. I don't want spikey bits everywhere, as it would ruin the lines, and there aren't a lot of broad surfaces to mount icons and whatnot.

Now to get back to painting my LPC vow...

• 1 month later...

It's about time I got around to updating my Call of Chaos LPC vow. Here is my counts-as Heldrake with some paint on it:

gallery_53134_7133_60620.jpg

This is Skull Leader, or at least his legs, with about 90% of the paint of his "Hellstorm Gunship" applied. I need to finish some details, paint a skull-and-crossbones on the tail, finish the cockpit, then do some touch-ups and it's done. One more afternoon of mucking about with it. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm going to do at least one more of these, maybe even a third. You may have guess from my Forge Fiend conversion that I'm into Macross/Robotech. This was inspired by Roy Fokker's colour scheme, and the second one is going to have red and black stripes to look like Rick Hunter's Veritech. I'm not sure what I'd do about a third one. Probabaly one with a blue stripe as a nod to Maximillian (I wouldn't want to do the whole thing blue, though.)

• 3 weeks later...

Did some more painting tonight because I realised that OH MY GOD THE LPC IS OVER IN ABOUT TWO WEEKS!

Here are my three Icon of Vengeance / Squad Banner dudes with an initial coat of paint on them:

gallery_53134_7133_119387.jpg

I still need to wash, highlight, and touch-up, and also the Burnished Gold trim has not been applied yet. You get the idea, though.

These guys are not in the usual quartered orange and black, but since they're banner bearers in a warband descended from the Iron Warriors, I decided to give them an Iron Warriors paint job as a sort of "traditions and legacy" nod. You don't let just anybody hold the banner, so only the cool guy veterans who you wouldn't be embarrassed if your Iron Warrior brothers saw get to do it. So they get IW colours. I forgot that's what I was doing and gave them a base coat of orange at first, but when I was doing the chest plate on the last guy I remembered why I bits ordered the fancy Black Templars torso and went back and did it over again. Also I built and primed these models AGES ago, and apparently I was using a cruddy paint or doing it on a humid day, because some areas are way too textured. But whatever, the Bolter Grey sort of blends it all together. And those banners are totally distracting, so it's all good.

Maybe I'll finish them later on this evening. Or maybe I'll work on my apothecaries, since they're in the same boat as being "mostly done but not quite". As is my Heldrake.

I am such a lazy painter...

• 2 weeks later...

@Deathspectersgt & BrotherAtrox, Thanks very much! thanks.gif

So I'm running it right down to the last minute again with an LPC, though I'm confident that this year I'm getting done. I've got my six Icon bearers done, and most of the Heldrake is done. All I've got to do on the Heldrake is finish painting the pilot, paint the skull&crossbones on the tail fin, some minor detailing, and gloss coat it. But without further ado, my Icons of Excess, or Chaos Apothecaries:

gallery_53134_7133_92286.jpg

And my Icon of Vengeance Bearers:

gallery_53134_7133_24651.jpg

I still need to seal and dull coat them, but it's too chilly outside and too late at night to do it right now. I'll do that tomorrow.

I probably won't actually use these guys as Icons of Vengeance, since I probably won't want to buy an IoV anyway. I'll most likely just put them in the squad to be able to point out which squad is which.

These pictures are kind of dark. The models are actually brighter than is shown here, and the orange is definitely more orange-y and less red IRL. I'm pretty happy with how the IW scheme turned out on them. Most people go for a brass or copper for the edging, but I went burnished gold. I based in Boltgun, washed with Badab Black, then drybrushed and highlighted with Mithril silver. And it doesn't really stand out, but the right knee pad is blood red with a burnished gold khornate skull. Just because.

I'm very glad these guys are done...

Archived