Consecrators

EPK

EPK - well done mate! This looks awesome! Judging from what you've done on the meltagunner's shoulderpad I'm confident that you will do your sergeant justice! Although I'd rather you do a different pattern - but checkers will work fine too! Same applies for the shoulder cloth. The verdigris is a very nice touch - certainly exceeds my abilities for sure :(. So that'll be a 10-strong squad! What is in the pipeline? A Master maybe? Whatever happened to the termie with the BT sized shield?

Studs on the helmet - they look great painted! (they looked great even before they were!)

My only comment would be that there are no Company markings. I know it is difficult with no knee pads but it would be cool if at least on the sergeant you could put the Company markings. Shoulder pad maybe? or even on the shoulder cloth...

Nice work mate. Keep it up.

These are looking good (so much so that I pointed a friend in the direction of this thread as an example of 'blue' highlights for black armour), and all the better for a squad leader. Could we have a group shot please?

Scripture on the shoulder cloth is perhaps too obvious a choice, but would support the idea that the Consecrators have access to a large number of relics (sudden flash of self doubt; that is the Consecrator's hook, right??). Perhaps a small pictograph to represent a fragment of mural or ancient tapestry?

Thank you all for the kind comments and suggestions.

@ Bryan - Good call on the sepia wash, I didn't even think of that - I had actually gone back over with a dry brush of dwarf bronze, it was way more green. But the wash would be a more subtle way to clean it up.

@ Captain Semper - Yep, 10 marines. I might build some alternates just so I can avoid mixing these guys with regular DA marines. You're right, company and/or sqaud markings might be a nice detail, I'll have to look into what might work.

Also, you could totally do the verdigris. Vellejo makes a paint that is perfect (maybe called jade?) but what I wound up using was mixing Hawk Turquoise and Scorpion Green (a touch more green) and than watering it down. Brush it on like a wash. Dry brush the color you covered if it's too heavy or use another wash as Bryan suggested.

As for the pipeline, the Deathwing Command Squad is certainly still on my plate. I love me some terminators. This is the last picture I took of them. They are only slightly more complete and I switched the hammer and morning star between the two. Also on my plate, which may take precendence, as my friend and I are starting to play it more, is a Redemptionist gang for Necromunda (obviously they will not be posted here, maybe I can add a link to their progress in my sig if anyone is interested.) - I've ordered some Empire Flagellants to convert and will pick up the gang set soon.

@ Skink - I'm honored that you recommended the thread! At first I tried layering 3 highlights but when it came down to it, 2 worked just fine, it's simply Fenris Grey and than an subtle highlight of codex grey over that. And the tapestry is a great idea as too much scripture lends itself to Guardians of the Covenant rather than Consecrators. I can just see it now, a piece of art from ancient Caliban passed down. Of course I don't know if I can pull it off on such a small scale.

Well, given that one shoulder pad is given to studs and the other will have to carry the Chapter badge I sort of went around it by making mine 6th company (thus making squad markings redundant - their all tactical) and used the kneepads for the company markings. I'm considering adding the squad number to the other leg. I know not having knee-pads can make it kind of difficult...

I'll test the verdigris technique ASAP! It looks very effective. I'm thinking Chaos... Or maybe Fallen. I like my Consecrators (& Disciples for that matter) polished ;)!

I'll test the verdigris technique ASAP! It looks very effective. I'm thinking Chaos... Or maybe Fallen. I like my Consecrators (& Disciples for that matter) polished ;)!

I hear ya, I'm always loathe to do too much weathering (partly because I'm lazy) for that very reason. Marines keep their gear in tip top shape. But I figured I give this a try and rationalized it as the few bronze pieces being very archaic, perhaps even retained from pre-Imperial Caliban - I'm crazy, so I always have to over think everything. I'll definitely be doing it to my zealous heretic-burning Redemptionists though.

Glad you like them Brother Degas. The blueish highlight worried me at first, but once they all started coming together I really started to like it.

I can see these as a nice gallery page on The Dark Fortress :yes: - if you don't mind of course.

Cheers

I

No, of course I don't mind. I'd be honored (that is if you don't mind the semi-incompleteness - chapter badges and such).

• 2 months later...

FInally got around to detailing the sarge's shoulder pad. Decided to stick with the checkered pattern to tie him together with the other member but I added a red stripe on the top and bottom to make it more distinct. I also added some red trim to the robe and as you can see a little tapestry-type angel detail to the shoulder cloth.

gallery_49213_4130_13531.jpg

I also have some new group shots. No actual updates to the models, just cleared pics I think. Still no chapter icons ;)

gallery_49213_4130_159873.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_131989.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_64771.jpg

Great stuff!! The chequered detail on the shoulder pad is excellent and looks great with the red stripes! Your free hand on the shoulder cloth is amazing!

This squad looks ace ;) I really hope you expand your force! Eager to see more!

BTW you don't want to know what happened with my attempt to do chequers on a shoulder pad. You don't...

Thanks Captain Semper! I wouldn't say amazing, but I suppose it did come out well for how tiny of a canvas I had to work with - it really is only a dark green silhouette of the figure and a handful of strategically placed lines. Makes me wonder if the pros use magnifying glasses to do such things.

No plans to expand but I keep going back and forth about actually free handing the chapter icon. Or at least I might do the white circle freehand and print out a sheet of red icons on clear decal paper to lay over it. I already have the clear decal paper.

• 1 month later...

Archived