drop pod closed/open both wrong?>

vanguardwolf

After some reading, and some thinking, and some playing with the toy soldiers (especially that!)... I'd like to throw myself on the mercy of the court! I concede that I was incorrect. perhaps i could plead temporary insanity?

I don't want to get into a huge arguement about every point that everyone here has said, that's not particularly useful to anyone, especially with regard to RAI/RAW type debates where people get unessessarily defensive. I'm all for RAI but that can get subjective, ask people in each gaming group :( .

My first post here explained (maybe not clearly enough) that I too use the hexagonal hull for measuring distances like disembarking etc.

But that several other considerations need to be clarified. That is because common sense is subjective. Here is a great place to clear the air so to speak :(

I agree with Brother Ramses that landing, opening the doors and disembarking is effectively one movement action.

That it affects the pod's footprint if 'blown' does indeed mean the doors open creates very real interpretation problems.

Disembarking notwithstanding (as I think we have a 'common' sense consensus), there are interpretation issues of TLOS, effects on cover, how close a friendly model can come to the opened doors (on top etc.) and how close an enemy model can come to the opened doors (1" or ignore them etc).

@Venemox: I'm permanently insane so join the club :)

Thoughts on the issues?

s

EDIT:

@Gentlemanloser, no of course not, a unit can disembark onto a Rhino with it's doors glued shut. Should the Pod models doors even be opened at all?

Disembarking notwithstanding (as I think we have a 'common' sense consensus), there are interpretation issues of TLOS, effects on cover, how close a friendly model can come to the opened doors (on top etc.) and how close an enemy model can come to the opened doors (1" or ignore them etc).

Thoughts on the issues?

all these secondary issues can be solved by answering the folowing question

are the petals of a drop pod considered hull?

i say no, and have explained why numerous times

Disembarking from the tip of the petal also allows shooting and assaulting TO the tip of the petal. Examining the scenarios involved with recognizing the petals I see balance.

actually thats not technically true

its only true if we assume the petals form part of the hull..

however in my arguments ive given reasons why petals are not hull, yet the detractors say they dont have to be part of the hull to be able to disembark from them as the rules state "2" from any point on the vehicle".

so although id love to use common sense in ruling here, if others wont i cant either.

also in terms of balance being able to shoot at a drop pod by drawing LOS to its petals doesnt really compare to the benefit of a 250 inch squared disembark zone from a drop pod

(got that figure by assuming each petal is 6" plus 2" each side.. not including actual hull comes to 16".. 16" squared is 256 inches)..

with all that distance, you can imagine the possibilities for deployment shenanigans, multiple flamers deployed to best effect no matter the drp pods scatter etc.

these are the people that are most dangerous in this discussion, they want the best of both worlds. petals not hull yet can deploy from them is asinine

Oh i wish they would try those shenanigan tactics vs me, ill just punish them for doing that by targeting the doors of the pod.

If they use that to deploy from than i can use that as target practise, line them up nicely their for my vindicator or other blastlike thing.

Archived