​Imperial Fists 1st Company

@Syth: thanks mate it's always nice to hear from ya and i'm still eagerly awaiting another shot of that behemoth you're working on.

@Mikey: What heresy is this? your daemon bride has been tampering with my lovely loyalists? :) haha, tell her I said thanks. :) RE: Bases. Not gonna think about em too much til the painting is all done, but i am starting to formulate an idea. Not quite cityscape (cos I want em to look good on as many battlefields as poss) but defo lots of debris and twisted metal etc I think.

You gonna come round for a stint when CoC starts?

You gonna come round for a stint when CoC starts?

Definitley!

I reckon some snacks, Pepsi ( :) ) and some good company will really go a long way to help getting my stuff painted.

We could also set a challenge on the day, see who can get the most done.

I'm intrigued about the bases though you really should do one assaulting a hedge with a chainfist! :)

Mike.

• 1 year later...

Cheers Ludo, feels good to be back at at it. I must say your fists are looking superb buddy. Sadly my photography skills aren't developing anywhere near as quickly as my painting skills :(

Can anyone tell me how to bold the text in this threads title please? I thought it would be simple but I just can't suss it. Cheers guys.

Thanks for the kind words :) Concerning the quality of pictures, it was a very experimental process for me and still is! I have a big glass door in my room, so whenever I have natural lighting, I try my best to have a photo session then (a bit more difficult now in autumn/winter). I think the problem with your lighting is that the light source is coming directly from above, whereas I would tend to place the light source in front of the model, above the camera (so diagonally up from the model itself).

For bolding the thread title text, you can't, so I'm not surprised that you haven't managed to do it so far ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So there are a couple of guys in the squad that i'm not totally happy with (model/pose wise) see if you can guess which ones?, Anyway I've started working on their replacements tonight. Still a little to do on each one yet before I prime. May I present:

The replacements.

med_gallery_67182_7784_87167.jpg

med_gallery_67182_7784_1098878.jpg

med_gallery_67182_7784_1905378.jpg

Should finish the squad off nicely.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure i'm making things way more difficult for myself then they need to be. It seems to be taking me forever to get anywhere with them. I'll keep plugging away though. Just about to get my brushes out for the day so should have an update later tonight.

Thanks again for taking an interest thumbsup.gif

These are looking great! :)

With all due respect though, I do feel that you're making work for yourself with the yellow... Since you shade them to a deep beige/chestnut and then highlight them all the way back up again, why not start with the shade colour anyway? Or alternatively, why not start with a brighter mid-colouor colour and, using thinner washes, gradually build up the shades only in the recesses? I ask as yellow > brown> yellow> highlights seems like you're overpainting one stage's worth of effort comepletely!

Haha, I think you're absolutely right. I have no idea why i've been doing it the way I have. I'm not a very experienced painter and i'm just sort of learning as I go along. Its too late for this squad now as they're all at the same stage. So im going to have to persevere with them. My best brush looks like it's on it's way out too sad.png

I actually would be able to cut out 2 stages if I started with a brownish base coat I think and would make the overall finish a lot smoother.

I just need to find the right colours as i'm about to completey overhaul my painting set, but I really love the yellow i'm getting here.

I'm always open to suggestions smile.png

EDIT: I think I was under the impression that my yellow wouldn't cover brown very well, and that I had to go yellow/wash/yellow to get good coverage.

Have you looked at VGC? Exactly GW's previous range. Or even VMA too? There's lots if brown yellows to help with building up to a final yellow layer/highlight that will then save you more paint on the yellow you like

Archived