Lorenzen's Abyss: Heresy, Necro & a load of other stuff

Lorenzen

cut the base size down, and gave the sarge one too

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/275/7/f/squad_by_typhion-d5gmf4p.jpg

need to sort out the transfers at some point and finish off things like the skull on the sarge and get him a heresy bolt pistol (and weather his shoulder pad rims more!) but i gotta say im really enjoying this project so far!

much better, very nice work :lol: these look rather cool and I really am impressed with the colours you've achieved on the bases too.

one quick question, where abouts do you get your weathering powder sealer? so it doesn't rub off?

Dude. Duuuuuude. That's it. You've decided me. I've been waffling for a while on which Heresy-era army I want to do, and you've solidified my choice. Death Guard it is. These lads are awesome. Your Cataphract sergeant needs paint, though. I can hear him crying out for it. :lol:

Which brand of weathering powder do you use? And how do you seal it? Is it Tamiya? Do you use the sponge method for weathering when you use paint?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm just a huge fan of these guys. Proper Death Guard, they are.

Edited by death given form

i airbrush satin varnish onto my models to seal them.. as long as you dont saturate the powders they shouldnt alter appearance & tbh once theyre on a model i dont find i have much trouble with them rubbing off anyway..

*edit more questions to answer*

i sponge on some of the weathering, some is done with a brush (rust on the sarges powerfist for example) i use a combo of forgeworld and mig pigments (for these guys its all fw stuff)

im pretty sure that when i spray these guys the light earth will blend into the dark earth a bit more, so i may have to add a little more of it once there done just to bring it back up then reseal it.. we'll see though, it may not be an issue.

Edited by Lorenzen

Thanks for the quick reply. Sigh. Forge World is going to be taking so much of my money here soon, it's not even funny. Books, weathering powders, models...

As an aside, I have a bunch of actual wine corks lying about somewhere that I'm doing nothing with, if you think they might help you. I'm sure shipping them over the pond wouldn't be too costly, send me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers!

keep the wine corks for yourself man (as you can see cork is a handy substance!) once cut in twain i have 72' of cork strip to play with, so im good for all my corky needs! cheers for the offer though!

forge world are evil evil people, im already eagerly anticipating mark bedfords deathshroud models and praying to the dark gods that simon egan gets to do mortarion (he had to go and say "I REALLY want to do mortarion before i could even get my comment about championing for him in a knife fight with the other sculptors over it)

Those look great. The Legion kits look great too, would you advise someone to wait for them to be released instead of getting the current Mark III marines? These Legion ones look beefier...

Lorenzen is using a mix of the old and new kits, he previously stated that it gives a lot of variety, so I'd suggest picking up one of each of the current kits, and then getting one of each of the legion kits once they're released

2 mk2,3 & 4 sets will be available soon, im using 1 of each set, the current one & the legion one.

Oh delicious. My Consecrators project will be very happy about that indeed.

they were in the cabinets at the fw stand and i believe they were in the catalogue too (not 100%) i know the new dreads were (i made sum1 go on a wild goose chase for one)

most of them could be seen on the command upgrade models

i cut the head down to fit the space then used a bit of green stuff to rectify a few obvious & ugly ones that were visible when it was in place

Edited by Lorenzen

i cut the head down to fit the space then used a bit of green stuff to rectify a few obvious & ugly ones that were visible when it was in place

I did the same for one of my tartaros terminators, it's much easier than trying to drill a hole big enough!

give us more updates!

ill be doing an update a little later tonight (stupid afternoon shift gets in the way of death guarding it up!) so keep your eyes open..

oil washes are quite a different beast to acrylic ones, because of the way they work they allow you to play about with them a lot longer than acrylics and tend to flow into recesses better.. it all depends on what you want the wash to acomplish really (my fire angels use an acrylic wash mixed with gloss varnish rather than oils) i do find that if you are looking to cover the model with one that i tend towards oils as they dont pool so much on flat surfaces and tend to flow around details more.. but with metallics its all about acrylic + gloss imho to counteract the satin coat i give my models later on.

oh and oils require more prep work.. ie they need to be sealed before you can paint over them pretty much.

Really love these guys Lorenzen.

The dirty off-white works really well. Definitely my favourite Death Guard that ive seen. The painting quality is top notch too.

Are you planning a Garro model? (Please say yes.)

Okay so ive got one more member of the squad done now

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/277/5/0/squad_1_by_typhion-d5gsmx5.jpg

he still needs his combat blade painting and some stuff done on the backside of him, but as with the sarge hes almost complete.

i have a few pics of the process done but my camera is dead atm so i cant upload them, the tutorial will cover the main colour of the armour and if people want me to go into specifics on the weathering/rest of it, then i will with the next one.

Brilliant man. I'm with BH on this one, and would personally love to see a step-by-step of your weathering process. Looking great, I love how the red eyes make a great contrast with the rest of the colors, it's a nice touch. Also the variation in the way the pauldrons are done from marine to marine looks great and adds character and variety to the force.

I also personally think Mk.III is the best armor to put Death Guard in, something about the low brow and the breather grill/ visor and the sheer bulk of the suit really works for them, so again, thumbs up there. Looking forward to more, mate, get that camera charged! :P