Edit: I forgot scout Segeants are BS4. I think the combi-grav would be fine then.

I also don't like overcharged engines on sniper Preds. But that's preference. The only Lucifer pattern engine I buy is for a Vindicator, because it's worth it.

Otherwise I can't really see anything else to change.

If I want a sniper tank, I'll play Codex :wink:

The theory is that the tank will be advancing with the Razors (Objective-collecting notwithstanding) and I wish to be able to fire as often as I can at the best BS I can. Seriously, if I'm going to be taking lascannon sponsons I don't want to be paying for them to only snap shot. The tank needs to fire at full effect in this list.

Makes sense. I play my Preds cheap and in cover to snipe with them. I understand where you're coming from though.

• 1 month later...

Potential game next month, so I've taking some inspiration from Morticon and spruced my light mech list up a little. Changes in red:

Blood Angels - 1500

Combined Arms Detachment

:HQ:

Librarian

~ Level 2 (Sanguinary or Diviniation)
~ Galian's Staff

~ Auspex

~ Space Marine Bike

:Elite:

"Fragioso" Dreadnought
~ Frag Cannon
~ Melta Gun
~ Magna Grapple
~ Drop Pod

~~ Deathwind missile launcher

:Troops:

Tactical Squad (5)
~ Plasma gun

~ Melta bombs, combi-plasma gun
~ Rhino

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

~ Melta bombs

~ Razorback

~~ Lascannon and twin-linked plasma gun

Tactical Squad (5)
~ Flamer

~ Melta bombs, combi-flamer
~ Drop Pod

:FA:
Bike Squadron (5)
~ Grav Guns (2)

~ Combi-Grav, Melta Bomb

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi Melta

:HS:

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank
~ Lascannon Sponsons

~ Legacy of Glory: Schism of Mars

Stormraven Gunship
~ Twin-linked Multi Melta
~ Twin-linked Assault Cannon

Officio Assassinorum Detachment

Vindicare Assassin

Going with this (mainly because I have to pack the models tonight!). Will have a report up from the week beginning the 5th January. Cheers for the help folks!

Basically I've dropped the Predator, Scouts, sole Attack Bike and Death Company to squeeze in my Sicaran and two more Tactical Squads. I've also opted for a CAD over a BSF. Overall I feel that this will still play the same as the previous version of the list whilst offering me more ability to score Objectives and to hit hard from range.

Naturally, C&C are welcomed.

I like it. Nice and mobile with some good firepower.

I think it's a shame to run BA without an Assault unit, that even scouts could provide to this (while maintaining some Obj Sec). Maybe even a 6 man squad to go inside the Raven by dropping the attack bike and a few other random bits?

Vindicare seems an out of place but fun addition! How does he usually fare for you? I love the rules but when you are only really ever doing on average 3-4 wounds across the game when you take into account cover and stuff he just feels underwhelming :(

I like it. Nice and mobile with some good firepower.

I think it's a shame to run BA without an Assault unit, that even scouts could provide to this (while maintaining some Obj Sec). Maybe even a 6 man squad to go inside the Raven by dropping the attack bike and a few other random bits?

Vindicare seems an out of place but fun addition! How does he usually fare for you? I love the rules but when you are only really ever doing on average 3-4 wounds across the game when you take into account cover and stuff he just feels underwhelming :sad.:

As you can see I used to have the Scouts do this but have eschewed them in favour of another Tactical Squad. Will see how it goes...

As for the Vindicare, you're right in that it can sometimes struggle to make it's points back but it has the potential to be amazing. I find you need to avoid the obvious targets and use it as a debuffer (and by that, I mean taking out key models at key times). I don't know if you remember but in the Apocalypse it took out that Killa Kan to allow the Reaver to charge the Phantom, the year before it got the killshot on a Reaver. In regular games it's got me Slay the Warlord but sometimes it dies before it can be of any use - just like everything else really.

That said, in my last game it would have had a wonderful time.

• 1 year later...

Bump for 8th:

Light Mech, 1500

Battalion Detachment

Librarian on Bike

~ Storm bolter, Galian's Staff

~ Smite, Unleash Rage, Shield of Sanguinius

~ Warlod: Gift of Forsight

Sanguinary Priest on Bike

~ Storm bolter, chainsword

Scouts (6)

~ Shotguns (2)

~ Combat knife (3)

Tacticals (5)

~ Bolter, chainsword

~ Plasma Cannon

Tacticals (5)

Bolter, chainsword

~ Lascannon

Bike Squad (5)

~ Combi-grav

~ Grav-gun (2)

~ Bolt pistol (2)

~ Attack bike

~~ Multi-melta

Predator

~ Twin lascannon, Two lascannons

~ Storm bolter, hunter-killer missile

:FA::FA:

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin lascannon, typhoon missile launcher, two hurricane bolters

:Troops::Troops:

Razorback

~ Twin assault cannon

~ Storm bolter

Razorback

~ Lascannon and twin plasma guns

~ Storm bolter

Thoughts

• Bikes, Razors, Predator are the main threat.
  • Scouts role in the Stormraven for late drops, Tacticals sit on objectives
  • On reflection, probably need to fit in a missile launcher on the Tacticals. What to drop though?
  • Is it stacked too heavily on ranged shooting?

Change the Plasma Cannon for a Missile, easy swap.

Seems nice and shooty, lacking on the AP with the choppy though.

Did you mean the Tactical lascannon as they are the same points? Switching out the plasma means find four points (so two stormbolters...)

I probably do require a counter-assault element (at the moment it's the Bikes and Scouts). I could toss in some chainswords on the "spare" bikes, but I don't know where I'd find a power sword to go in anywhere - the Priest doesn't want to be in combat if it can be helped, whilst I don't plan on going for a T1 charge with the Scouts like a normally do.

The list's theme remains light mech and I want to keep that in place. I could save 60 points by swapping the Predator for a Vindicator, but something needs to do the heavy lifting. Perhaps if I switch one of the Tacticals from heavy to combat/moving orientated and have them start in a Razor?

I mean the Tactical Plasma Cannon, but unsure of the points myself so if you need to find them I'd advise it.

Maybe swap out the Twin-Las Turret for the Pred Autocannon? It's still a solid workhorse. Vindicators are decidedly average - awful now :(

Tacs aren't fit for CC, you'd want something with at least 2A but the list is pretty set now - I'd focus on the shooting like you are but maybe drop in a powersword or two somewhere so you have bite if need be.

As BA I find stock Marines can do a job thanks to that lush +1 to wound. A power sword wouldn't go amiss though.

Vindicator is still T8 and a threat, even if it has become niche. I also have no trouble fielding stuff the net/game/planet dislikes :) Point is, it fits the theme and gives me more points to play with. So do I need the Predstor's greater threat or extra points the most?

• 8 months later...

Somewhat surprised that I've been running a variant of this list since 2012... Anyway, here's the post-CA18 version of the list (changes in red), one that I ran on the weekend at the last minute. It will need tweaking as it's too casual :/

Light Mech, 1500

Battalion Detachment

HQ

Librarian on Bike

~ Warlord: Gift of Forsight

Sanguinary Priest on Bike

~ The Veritas Vitae

Troops

Scouts (5)

~ Bolter, chainsword

~ Bolter (4)

Tacticals (5)

~ Bolter, chainsword

~ Missile Launcher

Tacticals (5)

Bolter, chainsword

~ Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support

Predator

~ Predator autocannon, two lascannons

~ Storm bolter, hunter-killer missile

Flyer

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin lascannon, Typhoon missile launcher, two hurricane bolters

Dedicated Transport

Razorback

~ Twin assault cannon

~ Storm bolter

Razorback

~ Storm bolter

Outrider Detachment

HQ

Lieutenant

~ Mastercrafted bolter, power sword

Fast attack

Bike Squad (5)

~ Combi-grav

~ Grav-gun (2)

~ Chainsword (2)

Attack bike

~ Multi-melta

Attack bike

~ Heavy bolter

Options, thoughts, musings

• Reminder of the theme: by light mech I envisage Razors, Rhinos, Bikes, etc. A sole Predator, etc, is there for the heavy lifting but I don't want to overdo it (I have a heavy mech theme elsewhere).
  • Extra CP with the Outrider, gobbled up by second relic. Librarian Warlord with GoF for that imperative 6+++ as there's no Standard of Sacrifice...
  • Veritas too important, Gallian's staff because 1) the model has a staff and, 2) I feel I need as many mortal wounds as possible in this edition. Shield because 5++ on either the bikes or an Attack Bike, Rage because this is my main combat block...
  • ML and HB Tacticals for mortal wounds. Perhaps I could spread these around? The HBAB is too feeble a platform but perhaps some Scouts to free up points?
  • Characters on bikes fits the theme, but perhaps jump packs and find the points for a jump ancient with Standard of Sacrifice to follow the bikes?
  • Lieutenant starts with the tank block. Perhaps a Dreadnought (Wisdom of Ancients), Captain, or Techmarine would be better here?
  • Not happy with the Stormraven, but at least it can be 24" away for maximun effectiveness. Could drop the hurricane bolters or try something else?

• 10 months later...

Posting for posterity, changes in red:

Light Mech, 1500

Battalion Detachment

HQ

Librarian on Bike

~ Bolter, force staff

~ Warlord: Gift of Forsight

Sanguinary Priest

~ Bolter, power sword, jump pack

~ The Veritas Vitae

Elites

Company Ancient

~ Bolter, jump pack

~ Standard of Sarifice

Troops

Scouts (5)

~ Combat blade (4)

Tacticals (5)

~ Bolter, chainsword

~ Missile Launcher

Tacticals (5)

Bolt pistol, chainsword

~ Heavy flamer

Heavy Support

Predator

~ Twin lascannon, two lascannons

~ Storm bolter

Flyer

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin multi-melta, Twin plasma cannon, two hurricane bolters

Dedicated Transport

Razorback

~ Twin assault cannon

~ Storm bolter

Razorback

Outrider Detachment

HQ

Lieutenant

~ Mastercrafted bolter, power axe

Fast attack

Bike Squad (5)

~ Combi-grav

~ Grav-gun (2)

~ Chainsword (2)

Attack bike

~ Heavy bolter

Attack bike

~ Heavy bolter

Won with these changes the other night. Some things are odd (i.e Stormraven loadout) but I needed the points to try the Ancient and Priest options. TBH I didn't really like how some aspects played:

• Standard with the Bikes did little.
  • Priest got up one bike and then could only heal it with Chalice Overflowing which seemed like a waste :/
  • Not really feeling jump packs chasing bikes fit the theme I want :/
  • Veritas gained the CP I spent on it...
  • Stormraven got blew up quickly - which in hindsight was good as I dropped my Scouts, Lieutenant, and heavy flamer Tactical squad onto the Objective which won me the game - but I don't like how quick it goes down every time I use it.

Liked the Predator, the Razors did a good job eating up shots.

• 8 months later...

Current setup, changes in red:

Light Mech, 1500

Battalion Detachment

HQ

Librarian on Bike

Smite, Quickening, Wings of Sanguinius

~ Warlord: Artisan of War

Captain Tycho

Troops

Scouts (5)

~ Bolter, chainsword

Sniper rifle (4)

Tacticals (5)

~ Stormbolter, chainsword

~ Lascannon

Tacticals (5)

Bolt pistol, power sword

Heavy flamer

Heavy Support

Predator

~ Twin lascannon, two lascannons

Flyer

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin heavy bolter, twin assault cannon

Dedicated Transport

Razorback

~ Twin assault cannon

Razorback

~ Twin lascannon

Fast attack

Bike Squad 

~ Combi-grav

~ Grav-gun (2)

Attack bike

Multi-metla

Bike Squad 

~ Power sword

~ Bolt pistol (2)

~ Chainsword (1)

Attack bike

~ Heavy bolter

Musings

• This was supposed to have a Chaplain on Bike but I've misplaced it... Tycho steps in as Warlord. He hangs around with backfield stuff
  • Librarian on Bike rolls with the Bike Squad but instead of buffing it/them, it can fly off on it's own to deal with things. Galian's staff just because...
  • Tactical with flamer sits in the Bolterback.

(I had a game with this list yesterday, will more than likely make changes once the Codex is in my hands).

• 3 months later...

Post Supplement list, changes in red:

Light Mech, 1500

Battalion Detachment

Librarian on Bike

~ Stormbolter, Force Stave

Captain Tycho

Warlord

Lieutenant

~ Power fist, master-crafted bolter

Tacticals (5)

~ Combi-plasma, chainsword

~ Plasmagun

Tacticals (5)

~ Stormbolter, chainsword

~ Lascannon

Tacticals (5)

Bolt pistol, power sword

~ Heavy flamer

Predator

~ Twin lascannon, two lascannons

Flyer

Stormhawk Interceptor

~ Icarus stormcannon, skyhammer missile launcher

Dedicated Transport

Razorback

~ Twin heavy bolter

Razorback

~ Twin lascannon

Bike Squad 

~ Combi-grav

~ Grav-gun (2)

~ Chainsword (1)

~ Bolt pistol (1)

Attack bike

~ Multi-metla

Attack bike

~ Heavy bolter

Musings

• Enforced change of Scouts -> Tacticals. I now how one long range, one mid table (lasback), one for combat (bolterback)
  • Tycho with plasma, Lieutenant with combat. Librarian with Bikes (powers tbc) (can still opt for Chaplain on Bike instead of the Lieutenant)
  • Warlord & Relics tbc
  • Stormraven benched for something smaller. It's currently unbuilt and I plan on magnetising :eek: so it's up for debate what's the best choice here. The points mean I can tweak the Bike lineups.

• 1 year later...

Will be using this list on the weekend. Theme remains a light mech one (so Bikes, Razors, something with a bit of punch, etc). It will be a Tempest of War game, so I've made some tweaks...

Light Mech, 1500

Blood Angels Battalion

Captain Tycho

Librarian on Bike

~ Bolter, force stave, Chief Librarian

Smite, Psychic Scourge, Might of Heroes, Null Zone

Warlord: Rites of War, Soulwarden; Relic: Visage of Death

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Combi-plasma, chainsword

~ Plasmagun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Bolt pistol, power axe

~ Heavy flamer

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Lascannon

Sternguard (6)

~ SI boltgun, chainsword

~ Combi melta (2)

~ Meltagun (2)

~ SI boltgun

Attack Bike

~ Heavy bolter

Attack Bike

~ Heavy bolter

Bike Squad (6)

~ Combi-grav

~ Grav-gun (2)

~ Bolt pistol (2)

~ Chainsword (1)

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi-melta

:DTran:

Razorback

~ Twin lascannon, storm bolter, hunter-killer missile

Razorback

~ Twin heavy bolter, storm bolter

Termite

~ Twin volkite chargers

Musings

• 11 CP, Librarian Warlord, kitted out for MWs
  • Tycho, Sternguard, Termite in reserve. Aiming for two turns of Tactical Doctrine too.
  • Close range Tacticals in Bolterback (likely advance), mid range in Lasback, Lasticals on the backfield objective. 
  • Bike block and Librarians go where needed. Two solo Attack Bikes to turbo where needed.
  • Basically, I want to use my Termite and this seems a good way to try it out. Tycho and Sternguard have always synergised well (enough) and the Bikes are fun to play with. Yes, it needs a Priest but I don't have one on a bike (yet) and I always use my jump pack one. With the Tempest cards being random, it should be ok to compete...

Up against an Emperor's Spears list (UM Successor, Whirlwind of Rage & Hungry for Battle). Was something like this:

• Primaris Librarian
  • Primaris Chaplain on bike
  • Primaris Techmarine
  • 1 x Intercessors
  • 2 x Assault Intercessors
  • Apothecary
  • 2 x Redemptor Dreadnoughts
  • Dakka Gladiator
  • Outriders
  • Bladeguard

Went first, five objective mission. My secondaries were awful for T1 and T2 (and my opponent's weren't), but I managed to pull it back in the end through more experience of the game mainly. Final score was BA 83:70 ES.

My shooting was awful this game. Still feel this list needs something else to it however, the Termite had a good debut. Whilst it's shooting was nullified somewhat by the ES Librarian casting Psychic Fortress, it pulled off a charge on the turn it arrived and created a bottleneck that hemmed in the ES Dreadnoughts and Gladiator. When the drill hit, it hurt, but like all things that hit on a 4+, you really feel it when it whiffs. Didn't use my Sternguard particularly well, need to improve on that. Will likely persist with this setup for a while.

• 3 months later...

Game booked in for this Sunday. Switching back to Nephilim, so the list is to be tweaked, however, I'm going to give my Chaplain on Bike a run out in lieu of the Librarian on Bike in this list. Changes in red:

On 9/29/2022 at 7:10 PM, Jolemai said:

Light Mech, 1500

Blood Angels Battalion

Captain Tycho

Chaplain on Bike

~ Stormbolter, crozius arcanum, Master of Sanctity

Litany of Hate, Mantra of Strength, Recitation of Focus

Warlord: Rites of War, Soulwarden; Relic: Visage of Death

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Plasmagun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Bolt pistol, power axe

~ Heavy flamer

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Lascannon

Sternguard (6)

~ SI boltgun, chainsword

~ Combi melta (2)

~ Meltagun (2)

~ SI boltgun

Attack Bike

~ Multi-melta

Attack Bike

~ Multi-melta

Bike Squad (6)

~ Combi-grav

~ Grav-gun (2)

~ Bolt pistol (2)

~ Chainsword (1)

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi-melta

Razorback

Razorback

~ Twin heavy bolter, storm bolter

Termite

~ Twin volkite chargers

Musings

• List starts at 3CP, but I suppose I can drop Soulwarden if needed. Thinking about putting the two solo Attack Bikes into Strategic Reserves for 1 CP
  • Chaplain can buff the large Bike Squad, lend something else to combat, has better durability with the ++, and saves 20 points with a stormbolter (which meant I could upgrade the solo Attack Bikes to multi-meltas)
  • List plays as previous. Tycho + Sternguard in Termite, arrive T2, pop out T3 (so likely staying in Tactical for two turns). Razors move up the field with Tacticals inside to do things. Bikes a threat, again, ABs maybe in reserve depending on Secondaries (see below)
  • Secondaries are a concern, maybe. I can push for BEL/RA/Shock Tactics as a possibility with this list. Abhor is now opened up if needed. RND remains a backup, and anything else is probably opponent dependent...

Nephilim mission (Tear Down Their Icons) against new Guard, went second :turned: Opponent's list:

• Tank Commander in LRBT
  • 2x LRBT, 1x LREx Squadron
  • 2x Cadian Shock Troopers with Chimera
  • 1x Cadian Command Squad (with Nork and Astropath)
  • 1x Primaris Psyker
  • 1x Commisar
  • 1x Cadian Shock Troopers
  • 1x Scions

Went for RA (12), Oath (10), Bring it Down (4). Lone Attack Bike went into SR to help with RA (which is did). Chaplain was decent enough but I kept forgetting about Focus on the Bikes despite it being active (unfamiliar use) :facepalm: Found Bring it Down harder than expected as I couldn't consistently deal enough damage to the LRs and when one was left on the bottom bracket, it would use the stratagem Relentless to fire at full effect. Some of the orders are nasty too tbh. I only managed 24 on the Primaries too (think I need a bit more work/practice here). Termite whiffed and got splatted, along with it's cargo (that's a lot of anti-armour not used). In short, I got wiped T4.

However, I won as the final score was Guard 47-60. Somehow :blink:

I still enjoyed the game and this list, but I need to play it a bit differently as it's not as durable as I want it to be. Perhaps the Librarian with Shield will return as there's no more AoC going forward :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

The points changes for Arks of Omen freed up enough space for another HQ (which saw the Librarian return to the list) and another biker - it also meant I has no qualms about running my second edition models as WYSIWYG for the first time in ages. Changes in red:

On 1/5/2023 at 12:56 PM, Jolemai said:

Light Mech, 1500

Arks of Omen Detachment

Captain Tycho

Chaplain on Bike

~ Combi-flamer, crozius arcanum, Master of Sanctity

Litany of Hate, Mantra of Strength, Recitation of Focus

Warlord: Rites of War, Relic: Visage of Death

Librarian on Bike

~ Combi-grav, force stave, Chief Librarian

~ Nullzone, Psychic Fortress, Might of Heroes, Smite

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Plasmagun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Plasma pistol, power axe

~ Heavy flamer

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Lascannon

Sternguard (6)

~ Combi-grav, chainsword

~ Combi melta (2)

~ Meltagun (1)

~ Multi-melta (1)

~ SI boltgun

Land Speeder

~ Multi-melta

Attack Bike

~ Multi-melta

Bike Squad (5)

~ Combi-grav

~ Grav-gun (2)

~ Chainsword (1)

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi-melta

Bike Squad (3)

~ Power sword

~ Melta gun (1)

~ Plasma gun (1)

Razorback

Razorback

~ Multi-melta, storm bolter, hunter-killer missile

Termite

~ Twin volkite chargers

Musings

• Removal of Soulwarden gives me 4 CP to start with. Meta dependant tbh and atm, there's isn't much to worry about...
  • Librarian with Fortress to help with the removal of AoC - but with Nullzone for targets of opportunity. Mantra + MoH on the Chaplain if needed.
  • I'm using legends anyway, so a Meltaback might as well get used give the points decrease. Now goes into Strategic Reserves (with the short range Tactical Squad) with the spare Attack Bike
  • The Bike characters have free combis which aren't modelled, but I've left the Sergeants with their chainswords for now and I don't want to be too far removed from WYSIWYG.
  • Bike split is off, but that can be changed. I have the option to change the grav to something else, but I quite enjoy it tbh.
  • Secondaries... The Land Speeder, Termite, SR units make good RA choices, so there's that (or BEL if my opponent is fast). Possibly Oath of Moment for another (but ideally, I need that Priest), then one dependant on the opponent I guess. 
  • I'll likely stay in Tactical Doctrine for as long as possible too.

Arks of Omen: Secure Missing Artefacts. Went first for a change Vs Knights:

• Knight Paladin (High Monarch, Strike and Shield, Blessed by the Sacristans, Ion Bulwark, ??
  • 2 Helverins
  • 4 Warglaives
  • Grind It Down, Yield No Ground, Renew The Oaths

Decent cover setup using the GW recommendations meant as few wounds plinked off the Armigers and some bikes killed in return, however, once I got into melta range and the Termite arrived the tide turned in my favour completely. When the Paladin died T4 it exploded taking out four of my units, but the game was won at that point. RA (15), BID (14), Oath (15) with the last Armiger remaining on 2W.

BA - 99:29- IK :blush:

Basically, going first (and even playing cagey at the start) allowed me to push up and the reserves hemmed them in. Sticky objectives are nuts for Marines and helped me control the second Primary Mission constantly. The loss of AoC wasn't felt for being shot by melta and getting that six role was a bonus before, but losing it Vs battle cannons is unpleasant as that weapon decimated my vehicles. Same as the Helverin shots, but they didn't get optimal targets this time around. I stayed in Tactical from T2 onwards as it made more sense, forgot about my melta bomb stratagem until it was too late and then the guy missed), but remembered to disembark the Termite on arrival this time around (which I can do from the rules). Oh, and it got a charge off and shredded an Armiger...