Very, very well done! :thumbsup: 

I think you caught a perfect balance in embellishment level and fantastic weathering for Flesh Eaters. I like the chipped paint especially as it's small enough to emphasize the Redemptor's size.

Also that banner now looks good again (compared to the undercoat stage) adding to the balance of black areas across the model :yes:

Very nice job on the big FE symbol variation on the left panel! It's not easy to make an interesting bigger version of something that looks nice when kept small and compact. 

With the story for Nicolaj you have devised it all comes together really nice!

I couldn't help but notice the conversion of the mini-gatling into the mini-assault canon too! Lovely touch!

Thanks Majkhel, appreciate the feedback! The banenr is still slightly...off...I might repaint the emblem in the middle, but I think it needs a highlight, but otherwise works well. The assault cannon is a conversion to the gatling - this was the ETB version which comes with a stock flamer, which had to go when I can get more BRRT! For my buck. 

Awesome job!

Some of the insignias almost look Orky, but they're still really cool and fit well.

Thanks! A lot of my style harks back to second edition which had a lot of freehand checks and flames on...everything. If you ook closely marine and ork details/dags aren't too different! 

• 1 month later...

Doing a tester for another Primaris scheme - the Omega Marines - I've had a small force of these since ~2008, having tried to do a black and white army for ages.

gallery_58096_12319_384041.jpg

gallery_58096_12319_13053.jpg

gallery_58096_12319_2869.jpg

gallery_58096_12319_37706.jpg

gallery_58096_12319_1410075.jpg

gallery_58096_12319_1165936.jpg

I did wonder if I should carry on with these - the white could very easily be repainted to red to make them into Angels Sanguine, however there's something cool about the black and white. I might just dot a few of them around the army, or make a unit of Omega Marines to go with my BA successors - a Blood Debt after the 3rd War for Armageddon. After seeing the sacrifices the BA made there, the Omega Marines sent a token reinforcement to the BA after learning of the Devastation of Baal.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Arise blog!

Between the Horus Heresy box, and running the Bug's Life painting challenge, I've been painting a lot of Alpha Legion and Tyranids, as well as getting my Eldar to a fully painted 2000pts, after a decade. This isn't going to stop, but I also have a lot of unpainted Blood Angels to finish off, and I want them as a second army in Heresy also - with that in mind, all my remaining firstborn marines will be ported over to the Heresy setting, while Primaris will continue to be painted in Successor schemes for my Red Scar Crusade. I think I have enough Primaris for now, so won't be getting any more until they release some BA specific ones, but I've picked up Zephon for the BA force and will be making up at least a BA destroyer squad and Angels Tears unit. 

As for the Red Scar Crusade, my objective was to finish all of the Indomitus box before a new edition was released - so far I have not achieved that, and the rumours of the new edition are rumbling - June 2023 if the 3 year cycle and pattern repeats itself, so better get my skates on!

Here's an as of yet unnamed Biker Chaplain, converted from the Indo Chaplain and the Outrider sergeant - the serge wasn't the best choice as he has the attached helmet, but I think this is the only body that worked with the raised crozius. I'll update when inspriation takes me and I name this guy!

large.IMG20221016201040.jpg.5f886d458c801ed6db70e492a875d2bd.jpglarge.IMG20221016201024.jpg.39f1a61b000afd8f359d530d227db0d0.jpglarge.IMG20221016201031.jpg.3ee29ed2f7c0373d19522841eae05d07.jpglarge.IMG20221016201053.jpg.8094935d154475740683ce6fadabb86a.jpglarge.IMG20221016201112.jpg.23295c08bbb513b6f060dd2c40794e8b.jpglarge.IMG20221016201128.jpg.4be0597d1675a0d48a12973d187cdb8c.jpg

Good job, Xenith! I like how your style develops. Especially with the weathering. I also have to compliment how you selectively colored steel with brown!

The base is really nice too and veeeery good job on turning the regular Intercessor helmet into a skull-helm :thumbsup:

Good to see your FE's again!

You reminded me that I also did not paint my Indomitus box fully :biggrin: I still have the Captain to do (not to mention all the models I doubled on....)

We're getting scarily close to the end of 2022 and having a glance back through this thread it's going to be time to have another team shot in 3 months or so with everything finished in 2022. 

Relatively few Blood Angels finished this year, primarily due to 1) Painting up Thousand Sons for a tournament in Feb 2) getting the kitchen done March - April 3) A Bug's Life running May - August 4) Horus Heresy Alpha Legion 5) Eldar. As such the painting pile will be much bluer next year. I don't know how that happened really, I seem to gravitate to blues. I've painted at least the Chaplain, which is good, but I'll try to finish off the other Intercessor squad. I also need more death company, and having discovered a fast way to do black armour on the chaplain, I might be able to smash a unit out fast! 

On 1/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, Xenith said:

So as we have reached the end of 2021 and start our journey into 2022, I did a quick photoshoot of all the stuff I painted in 2021:

gallery_58096_11725_15978.jpg

Edited by Xenith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I've sequentially been distracted from BA by Tyranids, Thousand Sons, Tyranids again, and now Alpha Legion, however I have an awful lot of BA that still need painting - and a lot of Mk7 that will become a siege/heresy era force - I got this guy way back in like 2019, and put off working on him until now. I have to say, I've always had a kind of fear of working with resin, but this guy was so easy to put together, however in future I'd give everything a black spray before assembly, lots of hard to access places...

I was thinking of trying out a different colour scheme for heresy BA, maybe lighter, but this guy is done to fit in with my other BA models and tanks, so the standard GW method. I might test out Baal red for some contrast goodness, but also Magmadroth orange for some 2nd ed looking awesome. 

large.IMG-20221127-WA0002.jpeg.e7bbef4dd40b9ac2d15d1a0ee57915fa.jpeglarge.IMG20221126213007.jpg.75a8ea8b8a8ae724a026b876a35fadf6.jpglarge.IMG20221126212941.jpg.af58be6dd3058694736be44dc254a988.jpg

I used the BA Leviathan with twin storm cannons and assault cannon nips in a HH game last night v Dark angels, and I have to say it's absolutely brutal - 20 shots, hitting on 2+ wounding on 2+ v infantry is huge, then rending on 5+ with the storm cannons dishes out the hurt. The storms will each get ~5 hits, then ~2 rends from that, 2 cannons and the assault cannons I was averaging 4/5 rends and then forcing 10 - 12 or so saves on top of that, which will absolutely cripple anything in largely power armour. I dont think I'd use the twin stormcannon combo without the assault cannons, though - this works as it can throw out so much firepower and get the rends from the assault cannons, but without them I don't think it causes enough damage. 

It might also be ok with the volkites, thinking about it. It's 6 twin linked S6 shots with Deflagrate instead of 8 Rending ones, so you'll get about the same number of hits and cause the same number of saves - the volkte will be worse against terminators and a lot worse against tanks, however if the goal is forcing saves, it's decent, and 15pts compared to 40pts for 2x assault cannons...

I wheeled out the Blood Angels for the first time this year in a 2k game against a friends Imperial Fists - friendly but competitive game. I wanted to use some new toys, so came up with this:

Spoiler

+++ BA 2K (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [108 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] +++ ++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [108 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++ + Configuration + **Chapter Selector**: Blood Angels Game Type: 3. Chapter Approved: War Zone Nachmund

+ HQ +

Captain on Bike [6 PL, 125pts]: Storm bolter, Thunder hammer

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [8 PL, -1CP, 150pts]: 2. Artisan of War, 4. Mantra of Strength, 5. Gift of Foresight, Adamantine Mantle, Benediction of Fury, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Angel Exemplar, Warlord

Sanguinary Priest [7 PL, -1CP, 155pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Jump Pack, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Troops +

2x Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 150pts]: Multi-melta

Death Company Marines [8 PL, 125pts]: Jump Pack 5x D Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol, 1x Power axe 1x Thunder hammer

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 190pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Sanguinary Ancient [7 PL, -1CP, 110pts]: Angelus boltgun, Power fist, Stratagem: Relic of the Chapter, Wrath of Baal

Sanguinary Guard [17 PL, 180pts] . Sanguinary Guard: 2 axes, 2 swords, 1 fist, 4 plasma, 1 melta

Sanguinary Guard [7 PL, 130pts] 2 fists, 2 swords

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 105pts]: Jump Pack Space Marine Sergeant: Combat shield, Inferno pistol, Power sword 2 meltas, eviscerator.

Attack Bike Squad [4 PL, 120pts] 2x Attack Bike: Multi-melta
Attack Bike Squad [4 PL, 120pts] 2x Attack Bike: Multi-melta

Pretty standard for what I have, but first time not using vanguard in many games, to test out some BA stuff. Unfortunately plans were scuppered as we used the Nachmund rules which has the old secondaries for BA, so fury of the lost and death from above were the old bad versions.

I still went with engage, banners and relentless assault, and even though we only played until T3 I managed something like a 54-39 win, thanks to some tactical shennanigans and the wrath of Baal. I'm loving that relic, though it might be hard to find a place for it in Nephilim.

The Biker Chappy was also untested for me, but thought I'd give it a go - he's a monster with 6A in combat doctrine, rerolling hits and wounds, then mortals and 4D - he wipes out some terminators on his own with a lucky triple 6 to wound. I'll definitely be running him again. The captain I took for rerolls, but he killed an invader in the middle of the board to block oaths, then got punked by a lucky 6 on the damage roll from a 1W redemptor in combat - he managed to get 3 hits, then all wound, and I failed 1 save for 6 damage and dead. He really needs that 7th wound so he can survive, maybe Armour indomitus or iron resolve?

The Sanguard did sterling work, as expected, the 2+ with AoC is amazing and they tanked 2 rounds worth of thunder hammer attacks from a THSS unit before the chaplain intervened. 

12 minutes ago, Xenith said:

He really needs that 7th wound so he can survive, maybe Armour indomitus or iron resolve?

I love Armour Indomitus and I find space for it in almost every list. The 2+ save is also nice with AoC and helps stop him being dragged down by hordes of chaff attacks too. Admittedly I normally put Armour Indomitus on my Priest as he is rather squishy.

• Rites of War (WT) and Visage of Death (Relic) is still powerful. Normally found on one model, but has been seen to be spread around these days. Combos well with Shock Tactics.
  • Selfless Healer (WT) on the Priest is still popular, as is Armour Imdomitus (Relic) on anything you want alive *or* to use for tanking in combo with Angels' Sacrifice.
  • Soulwarden (WT) is meta dependent, but powerful. Often found away from the Priest to stretch out the MW "save" bubble. Such as on a Sanguinary Ancient with Wrath of Baal (Relic) for that 14" jump pack move with nearby characters/Sanguinary Guard

Nephilim more than anything is about secondaries, and building towards them.

• So if you want to go down the Fury of the Lost route, ideally you need three squads of DC and a DC character (usually Captain and/or Lemartes) minimum.
  • If you go for DFA, you want stuff arrive from reserve that can cause a problem when it arrives. Combo's well with Engage on All Fronts (especially when using Drop Pods) and Retrieve Nephilim Data.
  • Relentless Assault/Behind Enemy Lines depends on the matchup and how fast they can get to your deployment zone. Builds need fast units. As you're in that half of the board, it combos nicely with Retrieve Nephilim Data
  • Blade of Sanguinius can be swingy, but Astorath is currently best for this job (though I'm sure Dante or Mephiston (meta dependent) can do this too). Wrath of Baal (Relic) helps the jump units close the gap if need be too
  • Raise the Banners High and Shock Tactics combo nicely for us
  • Oath of Moment is still doable, but it's less effective then Nachmund and on six objective missions. Builds are still the same (plonk something durable in the centre with something that can retaliate/resurrect stuff)

Probably some stuff I've missed...

I am a big Fury of the Lost enjoyer. 

Lemartes, 

2 5 man units

1 8 man unit in a drill with company champion with icon of the angel and Tycho. YES TYCHO. love it

I also run a Sang Priest with Indomitus armor and rites of war.

Lemartes has soul warden.

Edited by INKS

• 4 weeks later...

So I made the time and stepped away from the Alpha Legion for a moment to finish off those ABR Intercessors, and am happy with progress - They're actually all done and weathered now, but I took some photos once they were finished, before weathering. 

large.IMG20221231134824.jpg.daf8cd5fe65843438832fef8f3f11a23.jpglarge.IMG20221231134858.jpg.5109323d0cbe00ad656338c0720d6a26.jpglarge.IMG20221231134904.jpg.6184a7a0061d0c24961a819892078e85.jpglarge.IMG20221231134832.jpg.24f654468eb14a24701567e33efd05a2.jpglarge.IMG20221231134907.jpg.6f66be6ea532779f57e79967b857af3e.jpglarge.IMG20221231134843.jpg.c52ebb8955832414f7890c098c87ae2d.jpg

You'll recognise two that were already finished, along with the 3 newly completed. I have to say evil sunz over mephiston is pretty decent, and if my younger self was more patient I'd probably have done all my BA in this brighter style. 

On 1/16/2013 at 1:52 PM, Xenith said:

gallery_58096_16283_11677.jpg

++Flesh Eaters (22)++

++Command++

Constantin, the Steadfast - Primaris Captain

Marcus - Bladeguard Lieutenant

Esteban Valdez, The Mindeater - Librarian in Phobos Armour

Reclusiarch Grigori, the Watchful - Chaplain on Bike

++Battleline++

02-11: Intercessor Squad Trajan (5 Man ABR)

++Close Support++

02-18: Reiver Squad Luca (5 man)

02-13: Outrider Squad Ionian (3 man)

02-13: Titus - Invictor Tactical Warsuit

Brother Nikolaj, The Redeemed - Redemptor Dreadnought

++Fire Support++

Suppressor Squad (3 man)

I've also updated my Red Scar Crusade roster, and named my Flesh Eater units based on typical Romanian names from here. If anyone has ideas, or is Romanian and can correct me/give better names, let me know!