Fairy power spray will strip the models pretty quickly, in minutes and will not damage the model at all.

Some models strip in minutes, some need a longer soaking depending on the amount of paint etc on them.

BTW your Minotaurs are absolutely glorious, so glad you are back! Also what with the spectral green Land Rider Achilles in the picture a few comments up?

Edited by dantay_xv

• 4 weeks later...

@Pearson73: Thanks. However I am going to finish some infantry next (see below).

@dantay_xv: Ta. I use Acetone Free Superdrug Nail Polish Remover. Cuts through paint like a hot knife through butter, it even shifted the varnish easily enough. The LR was one I swapped with a mate, then ended up swapping back after he had base green coated it for Salamanders.

Right, the delay. I was waiting for the 32mm round bases to come back into stock at GW. As no infantry is actually glued to their bases I thought I'd try them. They suit the "bullish" nature I am looking for, especially for Mk IIIs.

I have emptied the pennies jar and this time I am gluing two pence pieces to them for weight and stability. 140 of them. They fit as perfectly as one pence pieces do in 25mm. How fortuitous :smile.:

I have also ordered some Vallejo Burnt Cadmium Red for the gun cases etc. Looking at Lorenzen's Minotaurs it certainly looks a better shade than the GW stuff.

This will be slow. Whilst my new contract is saner hours (no more 7 day weeks for 6 weeks and 27 hours non-stop etc.) I have started back down the gym five nights a week so it'll take a while. Luckily I only play once a year or so :smile.:

Edit: A few days later...

and the paint arrives. I got some extra bronze at the same time. Creative Models never disappoint.

Meanwhile a small island of upside down 32mm bases with 2 pences glued into them is slowly spreading across my office desk. Something to do whilst I watch Bones.

Another Edit: A few weeks later....

I ordered some more FW stuff (books etc.) but also some legion despoiler MK IIIs, Mk IVs, and legion heavy bolters (to go with Kraatos). I am working on the tactical squad in MK III armour at the moment (from post #56), and sorting out the 32mm bases with some scenic stuff I cast. I have generic 40mm ones I cast from ones I made, and then I cut them apart with clippers and rearrange to suit (and add helms etc.).

When that squad, and a MK III infantry assault squad, is built I'll post a picture however I am really liking the new bases, in my opinion they really suit MK IIIs. They look very beefy and bullish, which fits with Minotaurs :wink:

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 4 weeks later...

Or I'll post now :smile.:

gallery_27755_8709_44611.jpg

Bimbling about with the MK IIIs, repositioned some, got basic stuff on the base to dry pin them to. Found the sergeants combi-melta too beefy (ironically) so going to go with a newer one from the sternnguard.

Having trouble with the limited poses of MK III, even with all the kits (normal, despolier, legion etc) so it will be cutting and hairdryer time. Messed about no end with blu-tac but really not "feeling it" at all, man number six took ages. I'll do another one left handed, but this time aiming down the barrel i.e. sighting along it. Doing lefties usually re-mojoises me with posing creativity.

Or maybe it is a lack of concentration as Vikings Season 2 and Fury ended up being watched as opposed to background listening.

Really like the new bases, much more imposing. Possibly too imposing, as when I placed the only painted test one I did ages ago (the Doghouse style MK VII one), he looked titchy. I mean really, really tiny.

Might be the MK III models but I am concerned enough to cut him off his base, cut the scenery off his old base, glue that into a new 32 mm possibly with a thin layer of plasti-card to jack up the height, build some more stuff onto his base, and then paint/blend it in (easy with oils and powders).

Edited by Marius Perdo

To be honest, i think you're worrying too much about the new bases. They look just right with your Mk III Minotaurs. And since we're talking about them, I think the left-handed Astartes looks superb. Really need to try my hand (ha ha) at reposing arms like that. Got any tips?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your next update and just generally more of your Minotaurs :)

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

Regards left-handed marines I use the arms from the storm bolter in the vehicle accessory sprue, and the hand cut away from the left hands holding plasma pistols to hold the grip of the boltgun. I cut off the holding hand from a left arm, then move the thumb before gluing to a right arm. More complicated with resin marks of older armour. Next time I do some I'll try and do pics, but I am sure there are some tutorials on here somewhere that got me started.

As for bases on my original Doom Fists thread (which sadly got deleted) Brother Argus asked me how I intended to frame my figures. A bit perplexed I messaged him and after a short exchange and a link to some of his Iron Hands he opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me.

In the case of the Minotaurs the whole mass destruction of worlds and the Trample trait is something I want to use to thematically tie them together as an army.

When I do my Marauders biker army (open desert), Knights of the Raven jump army (skulking), Imperial Fists bolters and big infantry guns army (fortified and trenches), Sons of Medusa (red earth and dust) I'll play about with other basing.

Tried to order more 32mm, out of stock (again).

Still not feeling the mojo, had a stinking cold and sinus infection so when I bounce back from that I'll hopefully get some inspiration. Spent £750 at FW to help chase the blues away. I have some ideas for a Vaylund Cal so hopefully pondering that will get the juices flowing.

In the interim musing about 2k armies for the Chapters listed about, but still committed to doing Minotaurs first.

Edit: Forgot to say I knocked my camera off my desk when it had the micro USB cable plugged in, which it landed on, and seems to have mangled the port (doesn't detect, communication errors etc) so it will be new camera time too. *sighs*

Edited by Marius Perdo

Still not feeling the mojo, had a stinking cold and sinus infection so when I bounce back from that I'll hopefully get some inspiration. Spent £750 at FW to help chase the blues away. I have some ideas for a Vaylund Cal so hopefully pondering that will get the juices flowing.

Oh goodness, that must've been a bad case of the blues my friend.  Looking forward to what you end up doing with £750 worth of forgeworld product though!  All of the IA space marine characters are interesting in their own right, and your take on Vaylund Cal will be eagerly anticipated!

@The_Chaplain: The purchases (in no particular order):

WORD BEARERS LEGION GAL VORBAK

DAMOCLES COMMAND VEHICLE

RAZORBACK LASCANNON AND PLASMA GUN TURRET

RAVEN GUARD CHAPTER UPGRADE BUNDLE

RAVEN GUARD SPACE MARINES UPGRADE PACK

IRON HANDS IRON FATHER

LEGION GRAVITON GUN SET

MKII COMMAND SET

BLACK TEMPLARS TRANSFER SHEET

Mk V MORTIS DREADNOUGHT AUTOCANNON

MK V DREADNOUGHT AUTOCANNON

Mk V MORTIS DREADNOUGHT MISSILE LAUNCHER

SPACE MARINE CHARACTER CONVERSION SET

DEIMOS PATTERN PREDATOR EXECUTIONER

SPACE MARINE LEGION FELLBLADE

LEGION DEIMOS PATTERN WHIRLWIND SCORPIUS

LEGION DEIMOS PATTERN VINDICATOR

FIRE RAPTOR GUNSHIP

CAESTUS ASSAULT RAM

DEIMOS PATTERN PREDATOR INFERNUS

LEGION SICARAN BATTLE TANK

In other news...

The new camera is in the post.

Much planning and fiddling is occurring in Army Builder for the Marauders, Sons of Medusa, and Knights of the Raven. Iteration after iteration, so many models, so few points, the allocation of resources to each Chapter from the Forge World (aka as my massive miniatures storage cupboard) continues apace. Juices flowing regards modelling ideas generally.

The reason for some of the relic type resin stuff is for each army to have a sort of central awesome thing of coolness, but in the case of the Minotaurs they will get several, which they obviously nicked from Chapters they gave a thumping too.

However a new club starts locally in a few weeks so...should I do Minotaurs first? Building lists is always a risk, but one of the above would be a doddle to paint and build. I expect castigation and censure from The_Chaplain. Regardless my oath is I will not take to the field unless they are painted, so that will focus me one way or another.

Oh, and the Strike Force Ultra terminator captain arrived, all the way from down under.

Note I also have a load of Imperial Fists, Space Wolves, Black Templars, Dark Angels, Blood Angels (Flesh Tearers), and Chaos Space Marines but I am just staying the hell away from that lot for now.

And finally I also got loads of bionic Iron Hands sets from GW, and lots of bionic bits from Anvil Industries. Vaylund Cal will have his Purge the Weak devastators, and Dave's guitar wire will see much use as cabling.

However a new club starts locally in a few weeks so...should I do Minotaurs first? Building lists is always a risk, but one of the above would be a doddle to paint and build. I expect castigation and censure from The_Chaplain. Regardless my oath is I will not take to the field unless they are painted, so that will focus me one way or another.

Why would I possibly castigate or chastise you?  At least you paint as you build-- I'm in the process of retooling my Confessors for siege vanguard dual listing and haven't painted a darn thing.  "People in glass houses" and all that. 

That said... there are a lot of shiny things on that list-- can't wait to see them painted.  A little surprised you didn't sneak a storm eagle in there for your minotaurs considering they exclusively run the "Roc" pattern stormeagle. 

@The_Chaplain: already have one mate, it is to be a Roc, for the bronze ones. Hmmm, I am sure it says in IA 2 about them using wings of four Storm Eagles backed up by a Fire Raptor :wink:

Going to London tomorrow, and the British Museum. The classical world section, Greece in particularly, is likely to overlord the Minotaur creativity parts in my brain.

Edited by Marius Perdo

And the new club starts on the 22/03 with a big team battle for launch, Imperium versus Forces of Evil. 1000 points each player, constraints still being decided but that has made my decision for me. It'll be Minotaurs due to time constraints, and then I'll do the other 1000 out of my 2k list.

So drawing board time selecting the 1k out of the 2k that I have a chance of finishing building and painting in 19 days. To Army Builder I go.

And the new club starts on the 22/03 with a big team battle for launch, Imperium versus Forces of Evil. 1000 points each player, constraints still being decided but that has made my decision for me. It'll be Minotaurs due to time constraints, and then I'll do the other 1000 out of my 2k list.

So drawing board time selecting the 1k out of the 2k that I have a chance of finishing building and painting in 19 days. To Army Builder I go.

Looking forward to whatever 1k list you come up with and the picture that will no doubt accompany it.

So back from London. Went to the British Museum. Historical overload generally.

I saw some "ox-hide" copper ingots, 37 kgs each, or talents, found in a wreck west off west Cyprus near the ancient site of...

gallery_27755_8709_22175.jpg

Enkomi! I have found the home of the Voice of the Minotaur :wink: Okay, maybe not but it was a pleasing coincidence.

However I will be using the other two names as the names for two of the vanguard veterans...Ayios and Iakovos :smile.:

The 1k has been confusing as it was going to be compulsory 2 Troops (but not HQ), and as I was going to be the sacrificial drop wave this was not ideal as I like the Minotaur Chapter tactics and bull rushing round in the opponents deployment zone.

However it is now Unbound if we want. However as I want a Damocles it was:

Librarian, Hammaath, 4 x plasma cannon devs (in a ruin hopefully bolstered by a friendly Iron Hands tech marine), Damocles, on table at start as bait.

2x 5 tact squad meltas with locator beacons 1st drop wave being joined by some Iron Hands

2 x 10 assault with flamer x2, vet sgt power axe in drop pods as second wave being joined by Iron Hand Ironclads in pods, homing in on beacons and hopefully coming in quick due to the Damocles.

Now with Unbound I might drop the tacts, take another assault squad (9) in pod with the librarian, put locator beacons in the 1st wave assault amrines, and drop Hamaath/devs and get a Contemptor in a Lucius as 2nd wave (want to build a two fist one called Bronze/Hell's Fury...need to fiddle with greek name).

As it is joint points having so much in reserve, from the total points pool, isn't an issue (one advantage to this sort of game).

It'll be up to the others to bring fire support. The Damocles will help all reserves, and the other marines could come in on my beacons. I'll just go after the two poor necron players and run them down. Never forgive, never forget, remember Orpheus.

Still no camera though.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Still no camera.

However been working on Veteran Sergeant Geryon from post #12 who will be leading the MKIII assault marines.

I will "re-imagine" Veteran Isskar as a Veteran Sergeant, and I'll have him with a power sword (the old Space Wolf one de-wolfed to look classical and gladius like as if taken from an Inceptor). He'll lead MKVII assault marines.

And the final one will be Mk VIII with a power maul as a homage to the old metal MKVIII(ish) veteran sergeant holding a power maul with crux shoulder.

Basically inspired by the one on the right before I sawed his arm off and made him into a boltgun using Imperial Fist.

gallery_27755_5863_88536.jpg

Although my favourite I did with that was:

gallery_27755_5863_13277.jpg

However nostalgia aside I will build a MKVIII Minotaur with a power maul as homage to the original I have amputated several times.

PS if I get them built and sprayed bronze, at this stage, I'll be happy.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@The_Chaplain: Ta. I demand my camera! When I ordered it I didn't note it wasn't prime. Oh well, it'll get here when it gets here.

I doubt I'll have time to build everything fresh, being realistic. Luckily I can sub in the Black Templars I got ages ago. However I will get the veterans done at least, and I need to make the librarian which I am using Loth for holding a Grey Knights force staff. It is going to be a busy weekend at my modelling desk :smile.:

Still no camera, been in touch and they are investigating.

Actually noted some points from folks I had not directly addressed.

@Loketh: Regards Enkomi, it wasn't planned. Basically Minotaurs really benefit from stomping around in enemy deployment zones and assaulting. He either gets void hardened armour or a jump pack. He is an obvious fit with vanguard veterans with jump packs, and the only jump pack that fit on him well was the MKIV Heresy one. In a sense he built himself.

Lorenzen: Termies, there will be 20 odd at some point. The reason is Asterion and his need for companions, and that will also be the reason for a Redeemer (can't fit six termies in a normal land raider). With the strike force ultra formation I will do 5 of each type of termie squad in each of the two types of armour. Thus 20. I have lifted various Greekenss off Asterion which I will use on some 1st company veterans, such as (no longer brevet) Captain Zaelos, who I'll do a cape for (a bloody mantle). However this will only even begin to start when I field Asterion, which will be while off. Regards markings see below.

Okay, Geryon is coming along. As he doesn't have a 'red hand' honours I am trying to give the impression that he is really looking for a challenge to kill to earn the honour, to someday make it to the first company and earn the white helmet stripe and red shoulder pads. I am thinking of a backstory as to how he became a veteran sergeant without the red hands or 1st company membership.

Isskar is progressing too, sort of positioned like the Deathwatch Inquisitor Brother-Captain Artemis. I have used the mould lifting from Asterion (weird gel stuff that I then filled with green stuff and then did a mould of to cast in resin, I made lots) to put the Macedonian star on his chestplate (just like the art in Badab War part 1). Magnetised jump pack so I can use him as a seconded 1st company veteran sergeant in normal infantry assault squads, or put on the jump pack and use him as a vanguard for accompanying Enkomi. Thus the white head stripe, and red shoulder pad insets, just like the art.

The MKVIII sergeant will use the chest plate from the new tactical boxes. Same logic regards jump pack/vanguard/seconded veteran from Isskar will apply. I am using the power maul from the MKIII Forge World weapons. I need to look in the Illead, but there is an alternate name from Ajax that I can't recall. I'll make him beefy and call him that.

Note Geryon isn't getting the vanguard love as I am building each one with unique weapon combos and the axe man will be using the double head axe from the plastic vanguard box.

Not having a camera is weird, and annoying. A picture really is worth a thousand words. Feel like a radio sports commentator trying to describe what my models WIPs look like :smile.:

And that's all from me Bob.

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 2 weeks later...

Camera arrived, charging batteries.

MKIII tactical squad is coming along. Got the last four dry pinned and just sorting out arm positioning (the part that needs the most converting). Trying out various fits for weapon positions, the last four include the meltagun. I will do another lefty and take pictures as I do it. Expect pictures on Saturday.

The club event went like all big games. Chaotic and incomplete.

However the Minotaurs did what they said on the tin, and smashed the centre of the entire enemy army. The assault squads in pods work well, the flamers proving exceptional at thinning on the way in and wall of deathing if anyone assaulted. Casualties were lower than expected, the immunity to Morale checks from shooting meant it took an obscene amount of firepower to wipe out a squad, so much so it never actually happened (apart from a Helldrake but that is to be expected).

Pulverising an entire Harlequin squad that was maxed out, in one assault phase (because a Salamander Librarian made the squad Invisible) was unexpected. Red hand honours for everyone!

It means I will do three assault squads in pods, and just have removable jump packs on the Vanguard. The running of the bulls in an enemy deployment zone is just too chaotic not to :smile.:

However the other two tactical squads need basing on the new 32 mm rounds. Have I mentioned how much I like them :wink:

*snort*

*snort*

*stamp*

*gore*

*bellow*

Moo!

PS forgot to say, on slightly more sane note, the client tried to change my role to something I don't do (technically a contract breach), so I handed in my notice (of a day). I was going to take a two month break at contract end for a few months but I am doing that from Monday instead. Thus this thread should appear more productive for a few months.

Edited by Marius Perdo