Got a little more done, two more MK III tacticals to do. Will lefty the guy leaning forward to give the impression of a shoulder barge.

gallery_27755_8709_107372.jpg

Then I wondered what I had been working on generally (minus tanks and pods) looked like together, for motivational purposes.

Left

gallery_27755_8709_91772.jpg

Right

gallery_27755_8709_115051.jpg

The Whole Lot

gallery_27755_8709_250164.jpg

I'll finish of the MK IIIs, then do the Mk III assaults whilst fiddling with that sort of armour is fresh in my mind. Then finish off the MK VIII assaults. Then re-base the MK VII and MK VIII tacticals. Then a MK VII assault squad. Then the MK IV devastators and Kraatos, with 4 x heavy bolters and 4 x plasma cannons.

Ta.

It has been hard to create variety with the MK IIIs. That is why there are still two left to do :smile.:

Should be easier with the assault squad given I have the despoiler and weapon pack arms.

And a saw :smile.:

Last two done, and one previous rough based. Did one not holding the boltgun in two hands for a change, hard to see but he has a combat knife in his left had.

gallery_27755_8709_101412.jpg

I'll do the base for the other one tomorrow...erm, later today. MK III assault squad (infantry) next.

Edited by Marius Perdo

• 2 weeks later...

These are on hold temporarily as the club needs a board and terrain to go with it.*

So I am building a little corner of Mars. Well, an Explorator Base. I'll post pics when I have them but so much planning and sub-plans I cracked out MSP and did a project plan.

When done it'll be the Minotaurs new stomping ground.

Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one and all that.

*well, 4, but I am doing this one first. Cities of Death/Ash Waste, Agri-world at War/Western Front, and Ruff in the Jungle will be future projects.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing all sorts for the Martian board.

The mesas/tors/rock columns are the most progressed. Finally got the first one to the point where a few more cast rocks and it'll then be gravel/sand, and then it'll be painting time (finally).

The small one (with the marines on for scale) is 15" long x 12 "wide x 10" high. The bigger one is 15" high. Terrain that knights can use to block LOS :smile.:

I used liquid plastic rather than plaster, and it is thus very tough and robust. And a lot of expanding foam, no more nails, and hot glue.

There is a third one that has a single wider column and more of a plateau (mini) look.

When placed close together they give a pleasing canyon like affect, in my opinion.

As stated the club needs a board doing and all the ad mech stuff GW have released/are releasing inspired this.

gallery_27755_8709_172379.jpg

gallery_27755_8709_14436.jpg

gallery_27755_8709_24469.jpg

gallery_27755_8709_10354.jpg

Edited by Marius Perdo

Thanks guys. This should answers Bjorn's question:

gallery_27755_8709_1429.jpg

gallery_27755_8709_121304.jpg

As it is nearly midnight here very leeched by the artificial light. It really is more brick red/red granite. Just letting the base coat dry. Next will be various air brush shading and striations, lightening the gravel, and collected dust/sand and rain streaks with weathering powders.

Finally starting to look like a little slice of 40K Mars in my opinion.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Very overcast outside but this is a bit more like how it looks with actual eyes. Still very early days paint wise, still exploring my paint and weathering powders collection for recipe ideas. This will be very organic and experimental, which is a bit mad as igneous rocks are about as un-organic as it gets :smile.:

gallery_27755_8709_170874.jpg

gallery_27755_8709_135037.jpg

There is a danger it could be mistaken for a giant chocolate cake that went wrong. Thought I'd get that in first :wink:

Thanks guys.

Took it to the club yesterday, and some folks tried it out.

They really liked how a large piece of impassable terrain affected the game. Using it to block LOS when moving up etc, especially for vehicles.

They really want me to get the other two done so we can have canyons.

Some Hot Gates for my Minotaurs then :smile.: On these shields boys!

Note it is still WIP, painting it will be on hold as I am off to the home of the Minotaur for two weeks (a holiday in Crete).

• 5 weeks later...

Crete was great.

All this Knights and Ad Mech stuff is(was) great.

Sorting out my large amount of un-built things to store better, and cataloguing as I go.

This is not great. It is periods of tedium interspersed with little glimmers of "When the hell did I buy that?" or "Why do I have 16 un-built Rhinos?".

Pondering what these new formations will mean for my Minotaurs as I go. The Demi-company is obviously a good start. After that...

I am a bit confused by the new assault squad box, as it seems there are no formations for actual assault marines meaning just one squad in the demi. Seems strange to release a box that won't sell much duplicates per customer (if at all given what else can be taken instead). Maybe we'll get one in a WD. It would have made sense to have had an Auxillary one in the WD when they released the models.

I suppose the same logic is true of the devastators, except a box gives nice upgrades for tactical squads.

Just seems strange to me, almost means if you want multiple assault or devastator you'll have to stick with a CAD. Unless some datasheets as single entries can also be an Auxillary choice, but I haven't seen anything to that affect.

However I guess I can take Vanguard instead, the power weapons are so cheap now. They can have pods. And the 1st Company task force means I may even take Asterion and then give him some terminators rather than just taking 5 squads of vanguards (again it seems weird to be able to "spam" elite vanguard squads but not ordinary 7th company assault fodder).

Decisions, decisions. I did get six Ultramarines upgrades as I felt I may need to balance the ancient Greek with the classical Roman but I guess I should get these Minotaurs done first.

A demi-company it is then. A good start, mainly because a Core is compulsory and the only Core choice is a demi-company, and then the 1st Company Strike Force as one Auxillary is compulsory as well. This is feeling very, very constraining. Not what I expected based on the other "new" codices.

Edited by Marius Perdo

+++WARNING: SERIOUS RAMBLING INBOUND+++

Well, I have collated (and compacted) my collection whilst having read the full leaked rules. These two activites have synergised.

Everything is now going to have to change. and some reasons why.

Basically when compared to other CAC (Core/Auxillary/Command) Detachments for other armies (Necrons/Khorne Daemonkin/Craftworlds): their Cores can at least equal (usually exceed) a CAD (certainly for Troops), marines can't. We can't equal a CAD with a single core for, well, core troops. Odd.

Also there aren't any Auxillary formations that let us take more assault/devastator/bikes/land speeders etc. Tactical, assault, or devastator reserve formations or "task forces" spring to mind. Again with a new assault and devastator box I find this strange.

It means I can't do the waves of Minotaur assault squad fodder that I can with a CAC (and have loved since the first battle I used them in). Or all the bikes (I own 50+) for Marauders (White Scars). Or the jump assaut troops for Knights of the Raven (Ravenguard) (another 50+ models). Or mutilple devatstator/centurion devastator squads for Imperial Fists (I doubt Sentinels of Terra update on Saturday is going to enable my models). Five boxes of centurions...oh dear. Don't get my started on the heavy weapons for devastators...

Sons of Medusa (iron Hands) is actually not to bad beyond I'll need to wait for FW to update Vaylund Cal and having three MKV Mortis is now odd with our ferocious dreads. Also the Armoured Task Force has high minimums. Even with 3 whirlwinds, 4 predators, 4 vindicators and 3 thrunderfires I'd probablty still need more tanks for the full 3 unit squadron bonus, and end up spending a lot of points (that much It Will Not Die though...joy).

At some point, maybe, the new rules available will change with an expansion or White Dwarf but that isn't certain and it certainly isn't right now (and as far as the FW stuff goes could be a very long time).

Okay, negative observations aside. Honest :smile.:

Most of the stuff I own isn't built. Nothing is meaningfully painted. Actual White Scars players with armies of built bikes, or Raven Guard players with lots of assault sqauds and vanguard are likely to be a bit more miffed than I am.

I love the Doctrines. I like ironing out the horrible 16.6% 1 in 6, although given Imperial Fists get that with a lot of their guns already there was still part of me that will always twitch at being short-changed. The re-roll all misses is great. In some combinations twin-linked might not be needed dues to the number of cards.

Dreads are lovely, venerables more so. Units of dreads. Sooo many attacks.

I like the Gladius Detachment. I like its command benefit. I like the Demi-companies benefit, I don't actually dislike battle companies. I do like tactical marines, I always took 3 squads when playing Fists or Minotaurs. In this new context I really like the Ultramarines Chapter Tactics.

I really, really like terminators in the context of the new 1st Company Task Force. I have 78 unbuilt plastic terminitots. I have 4 venerable dreadnoughts, numerous unbuilt land raiders, the plastic termie captain, an unbuilt stormraven. A strike force ultra and a land raider spearhead are doabe, with interchangeability of models between formations for different set ups.

With a plethora of inherited plastic marines (about 150), unbuilt ones (again about 150), and lots of spare FW MK bits, and a bit (Okay, 30 bottles) of Superdrug Acetone Free Nail Polish Remover I could build a Battle-company. I have 10 drops pods, 15 rhino chassis (unbuilt), and 3 built rhinos (and enough top turrets, including FW ones, for 15 razorbacks).

I have lots of models that can easily be re-purposed, I did it before for my Fists at post #37 and then back again to the Minotaurs for their Mk VII squad. It can be easily done again and get me started by landing running so to speak.

Point is I can adapt what I have to play a way I like, one that just happens to be different. It just won't be in bronze unfortunatley (or yellow, or green, or silver, or the others listed at post #134). It will be in blue. A bit like an Ugly Sister I'd just have to hack so much off the foot to make it fit the shoe it would no longer resemble the foot I wanted. So I'll try a different shaped foot :smile.:

It was those new upgrade sorues that sealed it (if you believe that you'll believe anything).

I found Calagr, Sicarius, Tigurius, Cronos, Cassius in my collectuion of lost and forlorn miniatures. FW does cool UM stuff (another order breaching. I like Romanesque as much as ancient Greek. There are two novels in the HH written about them by Dan Abnett that I love.

So I am going blue for a whole different reason that feelong glum or down.

Now, do I just re-label this thread and cut across half-way through with the new project parameters, or start a new thread? I guess this WIP is home so when I have a few shots of the substrate for the new project I'll post an actual update as opposed to rambly musings.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Yeah.

The other stuff will just sit in boxes until the wind changes.

Just popped inside to change rubber gloves. Lovely day and it'll stop me poisoning myself with fumes :smile.:

Once I have the old models in need of some new love I'll make scenic bases of the various sizes and then make a mould for those. I can re-use that for any project.

FW Ultramarines order should arrive tomorrow, Codex and datacards and devatators on Monday, I'll get the iBook codex tonight at midnight, and I pick up 5 Ultramarines upgrade sprues from a mate (who picked them up for me) at the gym tonight. How manly :wink:

Been thinking about it all week, the new Codex being the catalyst. Not as if I don't have nearly all the stuff now organised and accounted for.

Pondering paint schemes. I prefer a slightly darker blue. I'll look at my citadel paints, work out what I like, and then order the Vallejo air brush equivalents. I will be doing 2nd company but I'll have the trim more bronze than gold. For first company I'll probably present white trim and chest eagles as silver (heradlically white represents silver and yellow is gold).

Looking forward to blinging out the somewhat outdated and low detail plastic terminator kits to make them more like the more recent Space Wolf and Death Wing ones, with Grandt Line rivets and FW brass etch Ultras and eagles (and shoulder pads of course).

Lots and lots of ideas, going to avoid special characters and do them from a millenium ago (to personalise it). Got Julius Casar's Commetries on hand for names, but the Captain will be Marius Perdo :smile.:

Quite enthused really, can't waint to get a Demi-company and 1st Company Strike Force done.

Edited by Marius Perdo