The Lost and Forgotten: Building the II Legion

Athrawes

Like the sketch, it will look good finished.

Oh, and Happy Missing Primarchs Day!

And Happy II/IX to you!

@Brother Tyrax: Harrowing. Now that is a interesting choice of words. Do you mean they are terrifying?

Like the sketch, it will look good finished.

Oh, and Happy Missing Primarchs Day!

And Happy II/IX to you!

@Brother Tyrax: Harrowing. Now that is a interesting choice of words. Do you mean they are terrifying?

Most definitely, nothing chills the blood more than a faceless enemy. You can't see the rage in his eyes, the twist of his snarling mouth, you can't identify with him being flesh and blood and feeling all the things you feel. He's just death. 

Great great work on the whole project.

I am doing exactly the same type of helmet for my HH White Scars Stormseer, and just saw your result today. And now I feel partly bothered that you achieved the idea before me and partly really happy because your superb result is motivating me to finish the job ! :)

More seriously, that's an awesome helmet, I'd love to see a full squad with them.

Wow.

This is one crazily inspirational thread. I love every part of it, but most of all, I love how you have taken something that is quite taboo to some (if not most) people and then have gone on to create this beautiful project.

Actually, I'm so lost for words that I'm not even sure how to finish my post other than this way. I'll get back to you once I can get more out of my brain than "oooh", "aaah", "damn, I wish I had thought of all of this before he did" and "gosh, how I wish I could be half as good as him in everything he does".

Wow.

This is incredible. Very very well done. Normally when I see a lost legion thread they end up disappointing me. They either go over the top or the legion becomes some god like figures that are waiting for the right moment to save the galaxy. I like what's been done so far. Very high strung but not over the top. Flavorful, but not too strong. The colors are also a relief, usually you see very out there color schemes just to be different, this is a nice, more mute scheme that still sits apart.

The fact that I signed in to chime in with praise and admiration for this project is something that I wasn't expecting to do. But when something comes along with this kind of planning, forethought and execution, one can not permalurk.

I have to emulate what people have already said in the past, this project is just incredibly well done with very little objection to what is considered taboo sometimes. I am a huge fan of the amount of research and thought that you have put into this so far.

Another reason that I signed in was to hopefully offer a suggestion to you.

I can't help but shake the idea of tengu-lore being incorporated into you history. What I am envisioning is the original thought on the tengu as a harbinger of war, a demon taking on the form of a bird of prey...

Add in, perhaps, creating another custom unit and I would see a jump pack assault unit. Using both the sanguinary jump packs and grey knight teleport packs. While the volta go into battle forgoing close combat weapons, the tengu go in forgoing projectile weapons. Maybe using space marine martial arts??? :eek I would keep use the death masks as a kind of play on faceless demon descending from the sky. Go far enough and say that the identities of these battle brothers are unknown to each other and are banded together from some sort of vision or choosing before the battle.

Take it or leave it, I just wanted to suggest it. In the end, bravo.

Cheers.

I like what you have going on here.  The amount of thought you are putting into the fluff of the II Legion is very respectable.  You are going to have naysayers and people who will explain that it is supposed to be a mystery.  We all know it is supposed to be a mystery, but I believe it is supposed to be one to be explored by the readers/fans of the 40k world.

You are doing an extremely good job of fleshing this out.  Keep it up! 

BTW, maybe I missed it, who did you have commission your artwork?

The Astral College of Madrigal

Since long before the arrival of the Lord Icarion upon the hollowed soil of Madrigal, the Astral College has endured and grown to guide it’s citizens and Principalities. The college itself is a place of learning and reflection to which all are welcome but for those gifted with the psyker gene, the college forms the center of a curriculum of self-awareness and betterment. 

The Celestial Orders

Within the structure of the Astral College exist the Celestial Orders. Named for Madrigals most significant constellations, the Celestial orders each embody different views on the mastery of psychic ability, each championing their own view in noble opposition to their brother Orders. 

At one time, the Astral College espoused the teachings of all forms for psychic mastery such as Biomancy and Pyrokinesis, but by the time of the Great Crusade, these areas of instruction have been falling by the wayside in favor of honing the ability to predict and affect the future. This can be seen most clearly in the Celestial Orders that have currently risen to the fore within the College; Volta of the Blue shield and Oni of the Red Path. Both distinctions focus on the mastery of star-seeing and battle-scrying, however their aim differs at a fundamental level.  The Volta believe that fate and the future is sacrosanct and that the gifts of future sight must be used to steer events and moments towards a preferred future while respecting that some points in time are fixed. In contrast, the Oni of the Red Path believe that fate and destiny are dynamic and fluid things which can be changed, twisted or manipulated by the proper exhortation of controlled will.

Despite the predominance of psychic visions and Future sight among the people of Madrigal, it is not uncommon for Members of the Various Orders to exhibit minor psychic powers in addition their battle-scrying. Because of this, the several complimentary Celestial Orders have not yet become defunct in the eyes of the Astral College. Legionaries who follow the teachings of Tengu of the Jade Diamond and Kitsune of the Golden Blossom can be found amongst the Companies of the II Legion, although in diminished numbers compared to their brother Orders.

Psykers in the Thunder Legion

Within the Thunder Legion, the Astral College and its Celestial orders form the foundation of psychic training for gifted legionaries. Every neophyte, upon induction into the legion is enrolled as part of their training into the Astral College, regardless of psychic talent, for The Astral college not only seeks to train warrior sages in the art of psychic manipulation but to shape the mind, and tutor legionaries on methods through which they can focus their thoughts and through reasoned understanding, better serve Icarion and the Emperor.

Only after years of Training, can a legionary choose to progress into the focused study of one of the Colleges Celestial Orders. Upon beginning training in the ways of a specific order, a legionary begins on a path outside of the traditional Legion structure. For most legionaries, the study within a celestial order does not alter their position within the Legion; they will still march to war under the leadership of their sergeants and captains. But for some, those who champion the teaching of an individual Order, will take to the field of battle surrounded by their brothers as deadly proponents of the psychic arts in practical use.

Oni

Amongst the Thunder Legion, many Astartes exhibit a singular gift for precognition and Future sight, however none seek to utilize their gift as aggressively as the Oni of the Red Path. Senior Members of this Celestial Order have found their niche amongst the II Legion Astartes as Paragons of Close in combat.

The Oni are superlative blade masters, whose unique gift of Battle-Scrying allows them move with a preternatural grace and swiftness in the heat battle that is said to be almost hypnotic.

Equipped with a prototype Teleportation Device designed by Icarion himself, the Oni are able to perform short distance “warp shunts” using their psychic prowess to tunnel their way through warpspace traveling from point to point on a battlefield.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/718DC7CC-40D2-46DA-91CA-97619407A201-1.jpghttp://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/F1268453-47C8-4970-959E-775CA5A2DF1E1.jpghttp://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/222C3C59-203A-4D2A-8072-A51FF28D78AF1.jpg

(Pictured above is Legionary Anzu Aki, an Oni of the Red Path. Note: the red bifurcated path symbol adorning the Legionaries Right Pauldron is the Orders Sigil, much like the Blue shield of the Volta.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This was a prototype model I knocked together in few hours. While it was more of an exercise to see what a Legionary with a teleportation pack would like, I ended up becoming fascinated with the idea of various psychic orders within the Astral College of Madrigal and the II Legion, so I decided this was the perfect opportunity to expand the fluff of the Legions Librarius division and how it is structured.

I'm not sure whether there will be a whole squad of these Oni, but i know that at some point I want to at least model one of each of the Celestial Orders.

What do you guys think?

Athrawes I salute your vision sir.  This is a well conceived and thought out project.  Your lore and fluff is well written and more importantly in my mind seems plausible.  Well as plausible as super human genetically modified soldiers in power armour can be :)

Your models are stunning.  I love the idea and look of the Volta blind gunslingers just brilliant.  The mask on the Oni is kinda unnerving in a good way though.  Gives it a Samurai feel that in my mind fits with the melee roll of the Oni.

I look forward to reading more about the II Legion and their primarch in the future.  Keep up the good work.  Bravo.

Icarion The Stormborn

The Master of The Thunder Legion, The Guiding Star, The Second Son, The Storms Eye

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/theIIPrimarch-s.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is the completed and inked sketch of Primarch Icarion. I have to say I have been floored by how well Saint-Max from deviantart has completed this commission.

The next step will be for him to turn this final version into a color version like the V Legion Primarch from early in this thread(also a beautiful example of his work)

And finaly, I need to start thinking about how to turn this awesome piece of artwork into a centerpiece model for my II Legion army. To that end I am desperately in need of guidance on what the best way to go forward would be, whether there are specific bits you think would work well, ect. 

Doghouse had suggested that I use the Forgeworld Lorgar as a base for the model and I think that seems like a good starting point. Any other recomendations or thought?

How do you guys this the non-color version of the Primarch artwork turned out

I would definitely say that Lorgar would be an awesome start, though I would personally err on the side of caution for a little while, and let FW make a few more Primarch's before making a final decision. Making this guy should be as big a deal as possible, considering that he is not just a centerpiece of your army, he is the focal point. The entire look of your army hinges on this fella's look.

To that end, I would work on some other elements for a while, and continue to solidify ideas for him and the rest of your army. In your shoes, I would wait for Icarion until near the end.

Just my opinion, brother.

I have to agree with 1000heathens on that point.  Wait for the other primarchs to see if there is a better suited figure.  Going by the design elements in that wonder sketch, I think waiting the years until the Khan is released would be the best thing for you.  Having read Scars and noted the direction that Chris Wraight went with them, I think that might be the best direction.  

I would love to see more Oni though and consider that face mask idea of yours stolen!

Angrypants

And you said you wouldnt be using the teleportation devices you sneaky b******!  I love it, man those facemasks make a helluva difference and I am really digging the use of the halberd/spear.  The primarch commission has come along brilliantly as is the fluff.  

While I agree with 1000heathens (may he continue to grace us with the badassery we have come to expect from him), BassWave makes a good point.  You could always start with the Lorgar model then use greenstuff or even commission someone to help build it for you, there's a couple people and studios on this website that make great models (I am partial to Den of Imagination considering they already do a couple of Primarchs).  

Keep up the GREAT work!!!!!!

Archived