Thousand Sons - Those Once Loyal - Contemptor Dread WIP

Aasfresser

Always a pleasure to check back and see what's been going on here, great work.

Thank you :smile.:

how, how, HOW do you sculpt those cables of greenstuff?! I must knowww!! They are boooottifullll!!!

i love those oblits, absolutely seksi creations. Tzeentch would be proud

Thanks! They are made with a tube tool.

Those Obliterators are absolutely incredible! Fantastic use of the Helbrute weapons -- and especially of the Helbrute faces, as they really sell the models for me!

There's one thing bothering me, though: the topknot on the second guy. I put it down to personal taste, but the feeling got even stronger after seeing the third model. The topknot just seems like a strange addition to models that are otherwise characterised by the juxtaposition of metallic weaponry and armour plates and mutated fleshmetal -- if you want to have something there, I think some kind of helmet crest would work better. I'm also not all that hot on the latest guy's fur trophy, basically for the same reason.

Beyond those small complaints, however, those guys are fantastic! :smile.:

Thank you Kraut! Well, the top knot and the patch of fur are a nod to the Black Legion. I love the depiction of Black Legionaries by Blanche, so I thought, why not? Even if they are a blob of fleshmetal, I think even they will have trophies of some to tie them in with their parent legion / adopted legion.

Great work putting those together and I am looking forward to seeing hwo you paint them up in the ETL.

When does that even start?

Thanks! As DL said, 15.09.

ETL starts this coming Sunday.

Aasfresser, those are some sweet Obliterators.

Dragonlover

Thank you.

I really like how you've upscaled those Obliterators Aasfresser - nice work!

They were in bitter need. Thanks!

As I want to expand my Black Legion Allies for ETL I build six poopy marines. I don't think I will ever play them with my Thousand Sons but even then, they are part of my Black Legion forces and are nothing more than a tool for the Changer of Ways, blindly following the god of poopy pants still doing their parts in the grand scheme.

Here they are:

gallery_76164_9728_164891.jpg

Those FW parts were lying around since 2009. I still have 5 of them, maybe I'll build them later this year. The metal one is the old standard bearer.

Edited by Aasfresser

Man I love all your stuff.

So, I want to run an idea by you. What are you doing with the Silver Tower set? I want to take the acolytes with the egyptian style Cadib loin cloths and sculpt/add Black Carapace interface ports on their exposed bodies in various places in addition to some sort of personal "Null Field" collars. I'm not sure about the masks.. maybe replace the heads with something like Astraeos?

Anyway, I figured they can be captured Librarians that have secrets stripped from their minds and their personalities erased- In order to maximize resources, they are given basic weaponry and used as cannon fodder. I think they are too big to count as cultists, so maybe Possessed? 

It's quite likely that my friends will help me create rules for my idea. What do you think??

Can't wait to see what you do with the boxed set

Great loooking plague marines there, Assfresser. I love the mix of bits, and that old metal icon bearer conversion looks the works.

Although... 

Nice tubing on the flamer wielder. Liking the scythe too.

Thank you! I'm rather fond of the scythe myself.

Great loooking plague marines there, Assfresser. I love the mix of bits, and that old metal icon bearer conversion looks the works.

Although... 

Thanks, Augie! That picture... It really cracked me up! 

Thanks @ TDPN & STD :D

Man I love all your stuff.

So, I want to run an idea by you. What are you doing with the Silver Tower set? I want to take the acolytes with the egyptian style Cadib loin cloths and sculpt/add Black Carapace interface ports on their exposed bodies in various places in addition to some sort of personal "Null Field" collars. I'm not sure about the masks.. maybe replace the heads with something like Astraeos?

Anyway, I figured they can be captured Librarians that have secrets stripped from their minds and their personalities erased- In order to maximize resources, they are given basic weaponry and used as cannon fodder. I think they are too big to count as cultists, so maybe Possessed? 

It's quite likely that my friends will help me create rules for my idea. What do you think??

Can't wait to see what you do with the boxed set

That's a hard one. I will have to wait for the box until November I guess, so I don't have any real plans yet. But my first thought was: Q'Sal Magister Immaterial thralls. Genetically and arcane enhanced human slave to their Q'Sal masters. Therefor I'd use them as CC cultists. But I also want to play the game as GW intended it to be played. Maybe I'll get two copies or I get them separately as conversion fodder. But to be honest, out of the whole box, they are the weakest miniatures. The Tzaangors, the new horrors, the ogroid etc... all so awesome.

Concerning your idea of making them former astartes slaves I'd say : go for it! I would even leave the masks in that case and maybe replace a mask if it occurs more than once. Possessed would be a nice way to play them, especially if you sneak in some mutations.

More ETL V stuff!

A new sorcerer. This fine gentleman is supposed to roll on biomancy most of the time, so the backpack is a visual reminder for me and my opponents. A TS master sorcerer doesn't need any surgical tools to preform emergency rituals surgery of course. But sometimes it is better for occult reasons beyond the understanding of mere mortals to dig deep into the viscera of your guinea pig  patient to improve the results. And it looks cool and makes the thralls shiver.

Thousand Sons Sorcerer WIP for ETLV

Also there is this unfinished Cypher conversion. He sill needs hair and those little wing-thingies on the sides of the backpack.

Hope you like them so far!

Cypher conversion Wip for ETL V

I really like the Idea for the Sorcerer with Biomancy! As I have a spare one of theose liying around I may have to 'Borrow' that Idear! 

Do it! It's neither very unique nor do I claim that I'm the only one who had that idea. I bet there are tonns of Sorcs like this one. I just like that backpack so much :biggrin.:

And here is my first ETL V vow:

I, Aasfresser, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete...

• One Thousand Sons Sorcerer (215 points)

- Mark of Tzeentch, Power Armour, Melta Bombs, Sigil of Corruption, Spell Familiar, Disc of Tzeentch, Veterans of the Long War, Mastery Level 3

- Ranged Weapon (Combi-melta)

- Force Weapon

• One Thousand Sons Sorcerer (175 points)

- Mark of Tzeentch, Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Sigil of Corruption, Spell Familiar, Veterans of the Long War, Mastery Level 3

- Force Weapon 

• Cypher (190 points)
  • 6 Black Legion Bringers of Decay Plague Marines (180 points)

- 2x Flamer, Veterans of the Long War

- Plague Champion (Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Melta Bombs, Melee Weapon (Power Weapon (Power Axe)))

• 3 Black Legion Sons of the Cyclops Obliterators (243 points)

- Mark of Tzeentch, Veterans of the Long War

of a total value of 1003 points from the Codex: Chaos Space Marines and the Black Legion Supplement on or before August 15st, 2016. Success will bring eternal glory to the Changer of Ways and the forces of the Thousand Sons and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Here are the pictures:

Cypher & TS Sorc

ETL V Vow 1 Cypher and Biomancy Sorcerer

TS Sorc on Disc

Thousand Sons Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch for ETL V

Black Legion PMs

Black Legion Bringers opf Decay Plague Marines for  ETL V

Black Legion Oblits

Black Legion Sons of the Cyclops Obliterators for ETL V

And the whole lot

Asfresser ETL V Vow 1

I hope I'll make it for a second and maybe third one. There is so much more on my desk, but time is so limited this year.

Edited by Aasfresser

Your plague marines are fantastic. I think I'll have to get some of the rust stuff your using as that really is a great effect, also when will we see the Oblits?

Nemac

Edit: Spelling failure

Edited by Nemac Vradon

• 3 weeks later...

Quite some awesome work in these parts of the forum... as hard as it is for me to admit that ;)

Did any of you ever think about or paint their Thousand Sons in a way that is not "aged"  and weathered - so no rust and damages and much signs of corruption.
Instead their armors would shine, just as much as their polished weapons, with "honor" badges of Tzeentch rivaling the most dignified decorations of Ultramar.
While they are mostly dead on the inside, Tzeentch 'gifted' the powers of illusion to them, so they can show "false pride". (Almost going Slaaneshi a bit... which is even heresy for you heretics, isn't it?)

So they would ALMOST look loyal for the first moment you look upon them, before the illusion flickers a little and you can see the small signs of chaos among their decorations.

(To me, some of the Chaos Kits - if you don't thin it out a bit or add you rown personal details with GS or so - are... too repetitive. Arrows and Skulls and Spikes. {Just like a certain Orcish Horde in another universe} The prideful character side of the Thousand Sons and their "noble" view upon their skills and knowledge get's lost in all the gritty darkness and generic Chaos symbolic. ...and I just love Egyptian aesthetics too much, to let them fall to the side. IF I ever did ANYTHING that would resemble something even CLOSE to a Chaotic force. *coughs*)

I have a scene before my eyes, with those shiny Thousand Sons arriving in a demon-besieged Imperial City, with Imperial Guards happily cheering and praising the Emperor, that finally someone came to their rescue... before a gruel screech howls through the base and the Sons of Magnus open fire upon the horrified Guardists, letting their demon allies in.

Not like I'm gathering ideas for a new army I certainly don't need or anything... but... what do you think? Too far off?

Not like I'm gathering ideas for a new army I certainly don't need or anything... but... what do you think? Too far off?

Keep telling yourself that. Those unaware of their fate are the most willing pawns for the Changer of the Ways. :tongue.:

It certainly sounds like a compelling idea, but I'd refer to the experts in all things Tzeentch to give you an elaborate answer.

It sounds kike a great idea! Very fluffy, very lord of deception. Your description drew my interest, but that scene really got my attention. Dammit. I used that meme wrong.

Thanks, that eases my mind.

Gameplay wise I would like to build them in a way, so I can play (most of) them as both SM and CSM - to screw with my enemies even more.

That way I only need to build a second army, but would have three at my disposal. Cheaper, more awesome and a tactical plus.

And it would challenge me to keep the balance between Chaos and Imperium being visible on them.

Well, anyway... it's off in the far future.

Quite some awesome work in these parts of the forum... as hard as it is for me to admit that :wink:

Did any of you ever think about or paint their Thousand Sons in a way that is not "aged"  and weathered - so no rust and damages and much signs of corruption.

Instead their armors would shine, just as much as their polished weapons, with "honor" badges of Tzeentch rivaling the most dignified decorations of Ultramar.

While they are mostly dead on the inside, Tzeentch 'gifted' the powers of illusion to them, so they can show "false pride". (Almost going Slaaneshi a bit... which is even heresy for you heretics, isn't it?)

So they would ALMOST look loyal for the first moment you look upon them, before the illusion flickers a little and you can see the small signs of chaos among their decorations.

(To me, some of the Chaos Kits - if you don't thin it out a bit or add you rown personal details with GS or so - are... too repetitive. Arrows and Skulls and Spikes. {Just like a certain Orcish Horde in another universe} The prideful character side of the Thousand Sons and their "noble" view upon their skills and knowledge get's lost in all the gritty darkness and generic Chaos symbolic. ...and I just love Egyptian aesthetics too much, to let them fall to the side. IF I ever did ANYTHING that would resemble something even CLOSE to a Chaotic force. *coughs*)

I have a scene before my eyes, with those shiny Thousand Sons arriving in a demon-besieged Imperial City, with Imperial Guards happily cheering and praising the Emperor, that finally someone came to their rescue... before a gruel screech howls through the base and the Sons of Magnus open fire upon the horrified Guardists, letting their demon allies in.

That's more or less what I am aiming for. Most of my Rubricae look rather un-chaosy but tzeentchy. At least thats what some people told me. And I would never ever paint Ultras in pristine and shiny armour, everything must look used :D For my BL and IW allies I like the chaos look. I like to imagine that Chaos Marines can look glorious and wonderful in the eyes of a normal emperor worshiping mortal. Until they look closer. Then the facade start to crumble, an imperial aquila turns into an eye of horus, shiny armor tuns dented and twisted etc. So go for it.

Here is what I have finished for ETL so far. My final thesis and other RL stuff keep me from painting. But there is some progress.

Cypher is done!

Cypher conversion for ETL V

And the first Obliterator. I really like how he turned out.

Black Legion Sons of the Cyclops Obliterator for ETL Nr1 1

And another follower of the porta potti incarnate.

Black Legion Bringers of Decay Plague Marine for ETL Nr.3

Three out of six poop slingers are done....

Black Legion Bringers of Decay Plague Marine for ETL group 3/6