Thousand Sons - Those Once Loyal - Contemptor Dread WIP

Aasfresser

Great start! What are your plans for the remainder of the body in order to carry the theme throughout?

Scarabs, scarabs everywhere!

I first want to finish the upper body, then the legs. I have some nice ideas, but I have to wait for some bits. Mostly it will be instant mold copied stuff from miniatures I like. But lets see :)

First press molded GS added. The scarab and the wings are just a premature mock up, I have to do new more crisp ones and combine them somehow with GS. The legs can be positioned differently at the hip, depending on the end pose.

gallery_76164_9665_8043.jpg

gallery_76164_9665_49379.jpg

Some bits should arrive today, lets see which ones will end on the dread :)

Do it.

Also, the idea of using that staff top was incredible. It's the perfect size.

A forgotten shard of Magnus in a contemptor

Awesome work man! Great thread!

Some really nice creations here! 

Thank you for the much needed motivation! I worked some more on the dread (see here) . Unfortunately I can't make new pictures. I filled some gaps with GS and build some more Cathaphractii Scarab Occult. 

Checked your link, i did something like it with one of my contemptors but with the chest from a bloodthirster, for me it helped to carve of the front section

from the contemptor to make it look more smooth and less humm top heavy.

After almost spending 3 days repairing my smartphone I can finally show you some new pictures. Who could have guessed it will be so cumbersome to restore the IMEI number after Android 6.0.1 screwed it...?

Well during the downtimes and reboot times I tried to make some progress on the dread. I dremeled most of the frontplate away to make the Magnus plate fit better and filled some gaps with GS. please note I still have to do some work on the GS, I want to make a much smoother transition to the original plate. Sofar it looks good, methinks. I just need those horns... ;)

gallery_76164_9665_28956.jpggallery_76164_9665_27691.jpg

There will be a scarab or the old legion symbol on the collar.

I did some work on the legs, too. The parts of the trim were I put GS o to make a smoother transition has to be cleaned up still.

gallery_76164_9665_39468.jpggallery_76164_9665_51205.jpggallery_76164_9665_11828.jpggallery_76164_9665_48503.jpg

And finally something that will finish the headcrest as soon as I have finished the chestplate. As I stated before I want to emulate the old metal asp. sorc from the TS upgrade kit. Just to give you an idea.

Thousand Sons Contemptor Dreadnought Wip 22

I also started work on the CCW arm but forgot to make pics, unfortunately I have to leave soon, As soon as I arrive I'll make some pictures.

C&C is always welcome!

Checked your link, i did something like it with one of my contemptors but with the chest from a bloodthirster, for me it helped to carve of the front section

from the contemptor to make it look more smooth and less humm top heavy.

I had to do the same too. I love your conversions btw!

I'm still working on the CCW and other parts of the dread. One thing that's still missing are rivets on the trimm, thanks to a tip from Augustus this will change soon. Than there is the problem with the sword on the CCW, like the Osiron has one. I the blades that come with Magnus are a bit too big, Tichinde was so kind and made a comparison picture of the Magnus sword blade and the Osiron blade in his thread. What would fit better is the knive that comes with Magnus, its in a sheet though but has some nice detail. I just don't want do nick it from my Magnus kit. If somebody has it by any chance, I glady trade it for bits or yuros.

gallery_76164_9665_1405.jpggallery_76164_9665_4845.jpg

The press molded winged scarab on the hand is a tad to thick, I might have to hone it down some more.

Than there were those Scarab Occult I converted out of BaC Cataphractii Terminators. I fanaly got some more bits to finish them. There are still some tzeentchy gubbins missing, but most of the TS look will come through the paintjob and decals.

med_gallery_76164_9665_32765.jpg

gallery_76164_9665_25724.jpggallery_76164_9665_48974.jpggallery_76164_9665_62963.jpg

I'm not so sure about the sword arm of the hellfire missle guy. Somehow I ordered one set of left cataphractii arms less than I thought. I still need one to finish the last SO terminator for the squad.

Within the last bits collection I got of ebay were a huge load of tzaangor and new Rubricae bits, I want to use them to revisit a very old project. I once build some Black Legion Terminators for my Sons of the Cyclops without ever finishing painting them. I don't want to overdo on the Tzeentch stuff, because I want to keep them mostly as they were, but here and there a new weapon and some details and you get some nice throwaway chaos tzeentch TDA.

gallery_76164_9665_2283.jpg

Here I only exchanged the old power axe with one from the tzaangors and gave him a combi plasma.

med_gallery_76164_9665_111808.jpg

Here I wanted to use the awesome tzaangor greatsword as a power sword for a terminator, I'm not set on the shield, because I really don't know how to get a combi bolter on him. But I like the look. The SO arms fit perfectly on the old CSM terminators and give him a slightly more tzeentchian look. I'm not sure about the shoulder pads. All of the other BL terminators have those MaxMini shoulder pads but the original ones look nice on him too. I didn't do mockups this time, because I need to dremel the shoulder pads a little to make them fit better.

C&C is as always very welcome!

Some more progress on the dread. I finished the other arm but I don't know how or if to caosify the kheres assault cannon. I might exchange the mussel with a bird face, but I'm unsure, will have to test a few things. The pose is just bluetacked, and not final. I also tried to sculpt some mini scarabs on the back, as the original model has some of those in those places. And the old legion symbol is now right on the collar. Still need a sword and some work around the helmet and crest. And some tabbard/loin cloth thing and a scarab in the midsection. I'm also considering adding some of the Necrophinxes leg blades to the legs of the dread, but that might look to random, hm...

med_gallery_76164_9665_162416.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_145182.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_124007.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks to Krautscientist I could make a mockupo with smaller horns on the chest plate, thank you so much Herr Kraut! But now that I see it and really like it, I'm not so sure if I want to add the bands to the headcrest, could get to crowded on the chestplate, maybe I'll do a mockup tomorrow. I really like the look! I also magnetized the weapons and the legs. I stretched the midsection and the legs a bit, still have to clean this up with GS and other stuff. Yesterday I realized I can't fit the legs without a base... so there's a basic base. Please not the pose is not finished, as is the base.

med_gallery_76164_9665_143754.jpg

Amazing work!!

Thank you, Skerr!

Today some new sculpting tools arrived and I somewhat got carried away with the contemptors legs. With some tubes and other plasticard pieces I gave some bulk to the tights. I know it doesn't makes much sense from an engeneers point of view, but after 10k years of stomping Russes mutts some warpsmiths or heretek copied ork-high-tech and gave this proud warrior of the XV legion some strengthend leg power bracers :D

I also finished the Kheres. Its not perfect, but the paintjob will do the rest. I really love that bird skull, does anybody know where it might be from? I got it yesterday in a bitzs drop from Kraut.

Now to finish the torso, the GS has to be smoothend with miliput and the horns have to be properly attached with GS. Rivets are missing all over the place. And the helmet needs some cables. Also those bands for the crest are missing, I just want to see if the look good or not. But first the torso.

med_gallery_76164_9665_93612.jpg med_gallery_76164_9665_46694.jpg

gallery_76164_9665_39842.jpggallery_76164_9665_52902.jpg

Hm...the horns a bit too big imo. :sweat:

They've grown on me, I love them :cool.:

Glad to see you've found such a good use for the bird skull -- I thought you might like it ;)

It's from an ogre kingdoms kit -- from the Stonehorn, I believe.

One question: What's preventing you from using that other decorative bird skull ob the front of the Kheres' actual barrel? Wouldn't it look even better that way?

Edited by KrautScientist

Glad to see you've found such a good use for the bird skull -- I thought you might like it :wink:

It's from an ogre kingdoms kit -- from the Stonehorn, I believe.

One question: What's preventing you from using that other decorative bird skull ob the front of the Kheres' actual barrel? Wouldn't it look even better that way?

What second bird skull are you talking about? The one from the warp-flamer? That's still possible, but I wanted to emulate the soulreaper, as you suggested :D

I think I'll try something else before adding again the same bit again. Maybe one of the tzaangor faces will do.

And back to the Dread. He is finished, for now. The rivets are still missing, a lot of them. And I'm not so sure about the striped bands/stola thingies anymore. While I love the idea, I cant get the hot enough to bend like I want to. They look a bit off. I'll sleep a few days on that...

med_gallery_76164_9665_62573.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_31204.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_107676.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_21722.jpg

And because I'm a ceap bastard and want all the options, every major joint is magnetized (also I love magnetizing my models).

med_gallery_76164_9665_239238.jpg

Tell me what you think!