Thousand Sons - Those Once Loyal - Contemptor Dread WIP

Aasfresser

Sanahkt is an excellent tragic character, good choice! Beautiful models and ideas all - if only the codex allowed you to rubricise any basic or veteran marine.

I must admit I don't picture of any the characters in the Ahriman novels with crests like that, or perhaps even the Rubricae - in fact, I do wonder when the crest came into fashion (if before their M33 setting) and on what kinds of units - since it doesn't seem to have been around during the Heresy (or in typical FW style, it will appear as one of many unit crests on a identifications and chapter marks page?). I guess it happened on Solarius [sic] or about Terra, but for all the THousand Sons to adopt the same device seems unlikely. 

That's strange, the Ahriman Books speak of Sanakhts Helmet to be creststed and on top of that there were 2 jackal-heads facing in opposite directions. And I think that even the captured Rubric Marine in Iobels memory had a crested helmet. But this is all after Terra.

On some artwork many of the TS during the Burning of Prospero hat Helm-Crests. I always thought of them as something typically prosperine and not chaosy-tzeentchy. So if one assumes that this is something from their collective cultural background, I can see why they all or most of them may have adopted/kept it. If there is one thing about the remnants of the XV it is that all of them are bitter about the loss of Prospero and they tend to be very nostalgic.

Ah cool, I just must have missed that or imagined it different. I guess my caution is that crests come in many forms - it could be the twin, outward-facing crest we know, but it might also not be, another similar iconography or something different in scale or shape. Great for imaging according to personal taste - as you do :)

I don't think all of the XV is bitter about Prospero - some are for sure, but others like Khayon, Ignis and even Sanahkt don't seem to be so bitter or even care. I think it's problematic - and untrue of any large populus - to assume that they do not have incredible variation in belief, feeling and identity. Hopefully FW's Prospero book as well as more of ADB's and French's stories will explore the XV's variety. 

Anyway, as always, you have made beautiful miniatures. 

I had some time to work on Sanakht. I exchanged the chain sword and replaced some parts that were too Blood-Angel-y. There will be a scarab on the belt where the blood drop was, it's still drying. Tomorrow, when the GS is dry I'll refine the helmet and the cap between the front and back part of the robe.

Hope you like him!

Sanakht conversion front

Sanakht conversion back

Lovely work.

The old backpack is a particularly nice addition.

Thanks. I really love them but soon I'll run out of them. Only 6 or so left. So nearly 6 more Sorcerers to go.

I agree the backpack suits the model really well, the whole bits choice works.

I like the Idea of a Scarab where the Blood Drop was it should be a great model.

Thanks! The scarab is only done with the help of instant mold. 

I wish my old chaos models haden't gotten stolen from storage. Those old backpacks were awesome! :smile.:

My were from ebay. Somebody sold them in packs of 5 or so.

Mini update!

Sanakht conversion WiP front

Sanakht conversion WiP closeup

Sanakht conversion WiP left

Hope you like him sofar! Some details mentioned in the book are missing, but I'm still very pleased.

Speaking of Ignis..have we any mentioning of the "order of Ruin" outside the Ahriman series? Like what heraldry they used? Painting-wise those fractal Roscharch patterns are probably ..interesting..to achieve..

Speaking of Ignis..have we any mentioning of the "order of Ruin" outside the Ahriman series? Like what heraldry they used? Painting-wise those fractal Roscharch patterns are probably ..interesting..to achieve..

As far as I know, no, that's the first mentioning of the "order of Ruin". I would go with geometric patterns on Ignis face, at least that's how I remember they were described. I'm planing a Unit based on Ignis and Credence. The whole idea of an battleautomata commanded by a sorcerer is not new in a Thousand Sons army, but it reminds me of the golems of old. I liked how Khalophis back in the "A Thousand Sons" novel controlled several of them or when he took control ofthe Warlord-Titan Canis Vertex. So awesome.

So awesome.

Pretty much sums up Thousand Sons in general... :biggrin.:

I thouroghly(sp?) enjoyed the Order of Ruin thing. Of course they would have had a specific school for that, it makes so much sense for our favorite battle-nerds to have a division for maths! :wub.:

Edited by Excessus

Those are interesting thoughts on Ignis and the Order of Ruin. I liked how Ignis representing something disturbing and alien to the other members of the Legion, also. Like the Order of Ruin represented something anathemic. Perhaps because this group represented ultimately only destruction? Whereas so much of the Legion was focused on the preservation of - even if in secret - knowledge, ritual and material culture, there is no possibility of that when a figure like Ignis enters the battlefield - such as during the destruction of Ahriman's fleet at the end of Sorceror

So awesome.

Pretty much sums up Thousand Sons in general... :biggrin.:

I thouroghly(sp?) enjoyed the Order of Ruin thing. Of course they would have had a specific school for that, it makes so much sense for our favorite battle-nerds to have a division for maths! :wub.:

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. Hope there will be a third novel with some more facts about Ignis and the Order of Ruin. 

Those are interesting thoughts on Ignis and the Order of Ruin. I liked how Ignis representing something disturbing and alien to the other members of the Legion, also. Like the Order of Ruin represented something anathemic. Perhaps because this group represented ultimately only destruction? Whereas so much of the Legion was focused on the preservation of - even if in secret - knowledge, ritual and material culture, there is no possibility of that when a figure like Ignis enters the battlefield - such as during the destruction of Ahriman's fleet at the end of Sorceror

I thought the same. Ignis was like an embodiment of the destructive powers of the warp. He had a very different mind set than his brothers. Well he even left his Legion before the Rubric and in general didn't seem to miss them too much. Only thing I really didn't like about him was his orange colored armor. But well, that might be changed when he will be build and painted. Maybe in March :smile.:

And again... another sorcerer build. This one is based on the Master of the Marches. I really like the pose and the little gimp masked cherub. Looks like he is in the middle of an powerful ritual. May be a member of the Order of Ruin or a disciple of the Rubric? I don't know yet. But I hope you like him.

The Ritualist WIP 1

The Ritualist WIP 2

The helmet has to be repaired later. Maybe next week. and this time I kept the original face part. If I can get a vampire lords helmet with bat wings or a NL helmet I'll replace the cherubs wings.

Edited by Aasfresser

Some minor progress on the Rubric-Terminator. Only some minor details on the body left and I have to paint both arms.

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1310650820313.jpg

Unf. Cataphractii Terminators with Prosperan Crests, a match so gods-damned perfect it makes Slaanesh so green with envy that Orks have started worshipping her. :laugh.: I look forward to seeing more of this gorgeous son-of-a-gun, not to mention any of his fellow Cataphractii you may or may not produce in future. :wink:

Cataphractii Sorceror plz?

Some minor progress on the Rubric-Terminator. Only some minor details on the body left and I have to paint both arms.

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1310650820313.jpg

Unf. Cataphractii Terminators with Prosperan Crests, a match so gods-damned perfect it makes Slaanesh so green with envy that Orks have started worshipping her. :laugh.: I look forward to seeing more of this gorgeous son-of-a-gun, not to mention any of his fellow Cataphractii you may or may not produce in future. :wink:

Cataphractii Sorceror plz?

Thanks! At the moment I only have this one. But in the near future I will buy more. There will be at least 6 of them!

Yep, still the best Thousand Son army of all time.  Keep it up!

Thank you! I don't know if it's the best, but still thank you!

Are you being supplied with this stuff by fw? Because as advertising goes it's making me want to buy Cataphracti more and more.

Unfortunately I have to buy my stuff. But this guy makes me want to buy more Cataphractii as well :)

Such a beautiful army :smile.: Tzeench is easily my favorite chaos god so for this beautiful paint scheme alone he should favor you

Thanks! May Tzeentch bless you with a tentacle!

The Terminator is done! Well freehands are missing, I'll add them after a short break.

Rubric Cataphractii Terminator sans Freehands

Edited by Aasfresser