Thousand Sons - Those Once Loyal - Contemptor Dread WIP

Aasfresser

So after a short break I finally managed to build my first pre-heresy / mid-heresy Thousand Son ever. This is for a miniature exchange a colleague from a german hobby forum and I are doing. He always wanted to build and paint a 40k-era Thousnad Sons and I always wanted to build and paint a 30k-era Thousand Son. He has a pretty big 30K Iron Hands army and I thought, well why not send one of the XV. Legion as it was done before the Heresy by the Thousand Sons with many Legions. So I decided to build a Member of the Pavoni, an Apothecary that is also a weak psyker. Usually the Thousand Sons always blended in pretty well with their host-legion (well not the one they send to join Russ and his wackos) but I wanted somebody who might see it as unnecessary to amputate when you can "easily" grow back a severed part by will.

So here is my first concept. I'm not 100% sure about the head, but I kind of like it. With the pre heresy paint scheme he shouldn't look to much like a 40K mini anymore.

Heresy-Style Thousand Sons Apothecary front

Heresy-Style Thousand Sons Apothecary right

Heresy-Style Thousand Sons Apothecary left

Hope you like him!

He looks beautiful :smile.: you should be proud

He looks great! :thumbsup:

Well thank you kindly, Sirses!

I was tinkering a little bit around with some cultists. I don't like the underhive scum vibe the DV minis have for my Thousand Sons, so I decided to build a bunch of space ship underbelly scum! Thats right. All the slaves, tech-thralls, servitors and thrall-psikers you want. The twist will be that I can use them in an corrupted, er ..hm.. radical Inquisitors retinue. At least some of them.

Lets begin with a little Cyrabor tech-thrall. It once was a Skull Pass Nightgoblin and now is the servant of a Cyrabor sort-of-tech-priest (who will be build when I have the needed bits).

cyrabor tech-thrall cultist conversion 1

cyrabor tech-thrall cultist conversion 2

His right arm is some sort of servo-arm. Its for grabbing, reaching, lifting, bending and scratching. A little hooded multitool. Usually the cyrabor are supposed to wear animal-masks, but that little fella is only a lowly serf to a somewhat not quite so lowly serf. 

The second guy is not quite finisched yet. I'm waiting for a tube-tool to arrive. The will be cables coming from the backpack to his brain. And I'm not quite sure if I should cover him with purity seals, like in an attempt to stick to old habits or like he is trying to not get corrupted any further in a very futile attempt. Or to cover him in some tzeentchy trinkets and make him an open servant of the changer of ways. As I said, they will serve as a radical inqisitors retinue. 

Rogue Psyker / Thrall-Psyker conversion front

Rogue Psyker / Thrall-Psyker conversion right

Rogue Psyker / Thrall-Psyker conversion back

I was looking for an excuse to dabble in INQ28 conversions and now I finally dared.

Hope you like them!

The second dude looks great! I say give him a promotion and a hundred purity seals.

What is the story beind the apothecary? I'm not familiar with thousand sons lore, they lend out marines to the other legions?

The second dude looks great! I say give him a promotion and a hundred purity seals.

What is the story beind the apothecary? I'm not familiar with thousand sons lore, they lend out marines to the other legions?

Yes, they sent captains and commanding officers to study the cultures in other legions for a time and then come back and they could compile the knowledge. Hathor Maat, for instance, was very proud of a Oath of Moment that was gifted to him from Fulgrim himself, Uthizzar was horrified about "his" legion, the Space Wolves, and had no good tales about them...

The pavoni was the cult in the Thousand Sons that were biomancers. They could boil the blood in their foes and sculpt their own bodies (like facial traits and such) to their liking. It would be logical that the majority of apothecaries came from there.

I'm loving the goblin dude! :) I tried to make myself a squad of them once, only did one though before I found something else to distract my brain with. http://imageshack.com/a/img254/6989/dsc0083yc.jpg

Keep up the good work, man, you are definitely making me want to continue with my own Thousand Sons warband! :D

Wow, that is some nice stuff to piece stories from, I love inter-legion politics and dealings. Thanks for the explanation, I'll have to find some on that Hathor Maat guy.

The pavoni and their trait resculpting sounds a lot like Magnus' changing face. :)

That's a nice looking Pavoni Aasfresser, he looks great, though I feel the torso looks a little... Plain, maybe? I'm not sure, but I love the little Cobra helm ornament. I take it you were referencing how Apothecaries in ancient times used symbols that involved a serpent(s) coiled around a staff or goblet right?

BTW, I have a tiny, humble request to ask of you. Seeing your fantastic success with fusing Prosperan crests to the MK.2, 3 & 4 helmets, I was wondering if the next Sorcerer you create could bear a Corvus helm? I can't believe no-one's done it before but I think it would look really unique, especially if you used one of FW's skeletal Raven Guard helmets: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/rgup3.jpg

Yeah, I think I'll go that way. Purity seals are like sprinkles on a doughnut. 

Yes, they sent captains and commanding officers to study the cultures in other legions for a time and then come back and they could compile the knowledge. Hathor Maat, for instance, was very proud of a Oath of Moment that was gifted to him from Fulgrim himself, Uthizzar was horrified about "his" legion, the Space Wolves, and had no good tales about them...

The pavoni was the cult in the Thousand Sons that were biomancers. They could boil the blood in their foes and sculpt their own bodies (like facial traits and such) to their liking. It would be logical that the majority of apothecaries came from there.

I'm loving the goblin dude! :smile.: I tried to make myself a squad of them once, only did one though before I found something else to distract my brain with. http://imageshack.com/a/img254/6989/dsc0083yc.jpg

Keep up the good work, man, you are definitely making me want to continue with my own Thousand Sons warband! :biggrin.:

Exactly! 

You should continue with the mutant-space-gobos. The blue of the cloth is awesome. Hm... a whole unit as count as horrors? Way cooler than the monkey-frog-bird-thingys that GW now calls horrors. And I see Thousand Sons in the Background, but they are still grey... tztztz

Wow, that is some nice stuff to piece stories from, I love inter-legion politics and dealings. Thanks for the explanation, I'll have to find some on that Hathor Maat guy.

The pavoni and their trait resculpting sounds a lot like Magnus' changing face. :smile.:

The Pavoni where awesome. Thouand Sons are awesome. Its a pity that the troop sorcs can't take anything but tzeentch. Biomancy is so potent, even the primaris on a troop sorc is really devastating. 

Wow those thrall conversions are really nice :smile.: well done dude damn im now wanting to do some conversions for my chaos marined

Thank you! You should do that. You're going to like them :)

That's a nice looking Pavoni Aasfresser, he looks great, though I feel the torso looks a little... Plain, maybe? I'm not sure, but I love the little Cobra helm ornament. I take it you were referencing how Apothecaries in ancient times used symbols that involved a serpent(s) coiled around a staff or goblet right?

BTW, I have a tiny, humble request to ask of you. Seeing your fantastic success with fusing Prosperan crests to the MK.2, 3 & 4 helmets, I was wondering if the next Sorcerer you create could bear a Corvus helm? I can't believe no-one's done it before but I think it would look really unique, especially if you used one of FW's skeletal Raven Guard helmets: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/rgup3.jpg

Yeah, the torso now looks plain. Wait until its painted. If I stick more stuff to it, I have no place to practice my red painting skills :P

As for the snake: I was looking for something to make the helmet look more like TS but still 30k. In the artwork many helmets are crested by some minor ornaments, sometimes those snakes. And I had nothing else in my bitz box ;) But yeah, I way tempted to give him a double headed snake-staff from the WFB empire luminark.

As for the beaky-helmets: unfortunately have none. But it is a great idea. I need a corvidae with such a thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He appears to be coming along nicely brother, I'm looking forward to his completion. :smile.:

Thanks! I'm a bit unfocused at the moment, but I want to finish him this or next week.

great work throughout :smile.:

Thank you!

Very pretty color balance.

Thanks! Red is way harder to paint than blue. Glad it works!

Love the Khopesh. My favourite sword design.

Where did you get it? Tomb Kings or is it non-GW?

It's from the Tomb Kings Skeleton Box. The non-GW stuff is just bleh...

Well last year I planned a small Kill Team for my TS but I didn't want to use actual TS. So I decided to start a small IW Kill Team... and never finished it.

Somehow I just felt like splattering rust effect on something and well... I painted 2 more over the weekend. A Warsmith/Champion and a Bolter Marine. At some point I want to have 20 of them. I just like the picture in my head. 20 Bolter slinging IW in some reinforced structure shooting at everything approaching.

I'll use them as I use my Black Legion allies: when I need cheap (relatively) CSM bodies in my list or when I limply feel like CSM. And they are a somewhat expendable ally in the eyes of Ahrimans Cabal.

Hope you like them, the pictures are a bit uggo.

Iron Warrior small group

The marine on the left was painted ca one year ago.

The Warsmith

Iron Warrior Warsmith 1

Iron Warrior Warsmith 2

Iron Warrior Warsmith 3

Iron Warrior Warsmith 4

New Bolter Marine

Iron Warrior 2 front 1

Iron Warrior 1 front

Iron Warrior 3 right

Old Bolter Marine

Iron Warrior 1 front

Iron Warrior 1 left

Iron Warrior 1 right

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught up after reading through this thread in one go. This level of enthusiasm is why I am starting to put together my own Thousand Sons force to get back into the game.

Will be following this thread for sure.

Thank you! As a Thousand Sons player one must keep a lot of enthusiasm, because the fantastic look of a nicely painted and converted TS-army is the only reward one will get. No epic victories, because in the grim darkness of the far future there is only draw.

And again, some more Iron Warriors:

Iron Warriors Group

Iron Warrior with Melta Gun amd Breacher Shield

Iron Warrior with Rocket Launcher front

Iron Warrior Rocket Launcher side

Iron Warrior with Autocannon

The Breacher-Guy was inspired by something KrautScientist build, thanks for the inspiration ;)

Nice to take a break from clean colours schemes now and then. Helps to keep it fresh.

That's true. And the quick results are a real motivation booster.

I started painting the little Cyrabor tech-thrall. But I somply can't figure out how to upload picrures from my cellphone directly into the post. I 'm not near my a desktop computet till tomorrow.

OK, lets try it this way...

http://www.gw-fanworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=256441&d=1430852966

http://www.gw-fanworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=256440&d=1430852966

Hope it works and you like him!

Edited by Aasfresser

Loving the other guys as well, though Thousand Sons will always be my favorites... :D

The little Night Goblin turned out well!

Edited by Excessus

That jetbike/Disc is awesome, I live how you post that and then go 'Oh, I don't think I'm that good at converting models'. You are wrong on several level there.

Any plans to stick any of these guys in to the ETL? Especially the jetbike? Not gonna lie, I want to see paint on that so bad.

Dragonlover