The Siege Makers

An update to my Call of Chaos VII vow as well as fluff for my other Predator. First up is a group shot of my armoured vehicles in the warband. The number will increase in time, but for now they form a nice little punch. Group shot:

All armoured vehicles of The Siege Makers

Rear: X2 Rhinos

Front: Defiler (centre) and X2 Predators

The non-CoC Predator is first up, the Dorn Breaker:

The Dorn Breaker (Predator)

This was part of a vow I made a couple of years ago (can't remember if it was ETL, CoC or LPC) and originally had Nurgle iconography on it (I got it from my brother who wanted to get rid of it, and had more spikes). I tried to remove the Nurgle icon from the front, but was only partially successful. But that then gave me an idea for its fluff, and thus the Dorn Breaker was made. 

Having served in First Captain Sigismund's Company during the Great Crusade and later the Horus Heresy, the Dorn's Mailed Fist was an object of pride, its hull glimmering and it had an exceptional kill record against Orks. This changed during the Siege of the Emperor's Palace, when the forces of Chaos were in retreat. However, the Dorn's Mailed Fist had pushed too far forward into traitor lines and became cut off. The Death Guard, corrupted and bloated by the blessings of Nurgle, took the vehicle and re-purposed it to their own ends. It was under their command that it was renamed the Bringer of Pus, but they kept some of the iconography from Imperial Fist's Champion in mockery. 

In 647.M34, the warband known as The Pustulated, a splinter group of the Death Guard, came to blows with the then fledgling Siege Makers in the ruins of a Hive world, reduced to a planet sized tomb thanks to the diseases spread by the Nurgle worshipers. However, despite the toxic atmosphere, the Siege Makers won and claimed what was left of the world's resources. Among them was the Bringer of Pus, a now ancient relic from the Great Crusade. Helslash ordered it to be recovered and taken back to The Cogs of Madness. There, the Predator was restored as much as possible, removing the adornments from its previous owners. When they reached the closest layer to the hull, Helslash laughed as he recognised the iconography of the Imperial Fists' greatest champion. A single sigil of Nurgle remained, stubborn to remove and allow the full restoration of the tank's machine spirit. Using an his own might, Helslash smashed it with his armoured fists and upon its broken shape laid his own symbol to claim ownership. Renaming it the Dorn Breaker, it now serves as a great prize among his armoured elements, destroying both xenos and the hated Imperium alike. 

The Dorn Breaker has seen recent action upon the world of Austik Vien, where the Necrons have been searching for an ancient relic. Working alongside the Nihilists, The Dorn Breaker has helped keep the ancient machines at bay as the forces of Kryten advance. 

Dorn Breaker punishes

The Dorn Breaker opens fire against the Necron threat. 

So on to the rest of my armoured elements, and 3 parts of my CoC7 vow. 

The Dark Corona (Tri-las Predator)

The Dark Corona, originally part of my space marine army, it has now had a refit and serves my Iron Warriors. Originally it had an autocannon turret, but I replaced this so as to have some variation between the two Predators. A backstory wasn't hard to do, and I added some Chaos icons I got from GW

The Dark Corona was originally part of a Great Crusade Expeditioary Fleet in Iron Warriors colours. During the Horus Heresy, it was engaged against Orks on the far flung world of Dayus with a contingent of loyalist Iron Warriors, although at this point they had no idea about the civil war erupting in the galaxy as they were a garrison force. It was when a force of Blood Angels arrived that they discovered the terrible truth, and surrendered themselves to the Imperium. They agreed to accompany the sons of Sanguinius to Luna to await judgement, but they never made it. Instead, they were ambushed by an Iron Warriors force loyal to their Primarch, and spared no survivors. Helslash was among those involved in the slaughter, and has seen the Dark Corona since it was placed back into the true Iron Warriors' clutches. 
Having also served in the Siege Crafters and now the Siege Makers, the Dark Corona has undergone several changes. As an honoured vehicle and long history with the warband, Helslash has it maintained above most other vehicles. The single greatest change was the turret weaponry, when it was destroyed by a Dark Lance shot from the Dark Eldar. It has since been replaced by twin linked Deida-pattern Lascannons. Typically, the Dark Corona is deployed as a vanguard tank and often takes on the more heavily armoured targets. It is also considered an honour among Helslash's men to serve in the tank - the crew is afforded a greater sense of freedom compared to the rest of the Siege Makers, as long as they get the job done. 

Death Monger (Rhino - right view)

Death Monger (Rhino - left view)

The Death Monger, a rhino that I typically use for the more assault orientated elements of my army. The chap on top was inspired by a model I saw in a White Dwarf issue, and used as a Dirge Caster (essentially he's a look out for the squad embarked, which is why he also has an auspex to locate the targets as the squad closes in). 

The Iron Teeth, under the command of the Champion Shail, readied their weapons as they prepared to face the Tau. Using the encrypted vox-link, Shail checked in with the Death Monger's driver. 

"How far now, Kilos?" The guttural voice of the Khornate champion edged with barely suppressed rage, waiting for the thrill of combat. 

+We are less than a hundred meters away, Champion Shail,+ was the immediate reply. +You shall have to disembark, however. Activity suggests this area is rife with targets that are best engaged on foot.+

"Understood. Sound the klaxon when we are at optimum range. Out." Less than a minute later, the Rhino came to a halt, with the rear ramp lowering to reveal the rubble strewn streets. As the combat orientated squad disembarked, their chainswords whirring and auto-senses locking onto targets as they formed up, the top hatch came open, revealing Gorten. 

"I shall provide covering fire as you move up. I can't let you have all the fun," said the Death Monger's co-driver in a matter of fact tone. Hefting up an ancient Bolter, the squad and Rhino advanced as one, in a merciless attack upon the hated xenos

Carpeidium (Rhino)

The Carpeidium was also originally a loyalist vehicle, but I decided to bring it over to my Iron Warriors (hence why it has a HK missile as a Havoc Missile Launcher and the Storm Bolter is facing slightly further forward. At present, I'm thinking up a backstory for it, most likely it will be for one of the more forward units of the army, although I'm really not sure yet. I'll edit it in later. 

The Steel Beast (Defiler - right view)

The Steel Beast (Defiler - left view)

The Steel Beast. Originally it was for my brother and he asked me to assemble it as just a basic Defiler, so I obliged. A year or so later and he sold it to me (for a pittance I might add) so I thought why not? I'm tempted to change the power scourge for a Havoc Launcher.

The construction had taken relatively few hours and not really much in the way of resources, yet the Warpsmith felt tired. Xathian, former Dark Angel Techmarine and Caliban survivor, had created the massive construct to honour an old debt - one that had been a long time in coming but was nearly over. Beside him, the Sorceror Vithian stood, cradling an ancient text. 

"You are sure you have the correct texts?" asked Xathian as he analysed his work. 

"I have what you asked for," replied the former Star Scythe Librarian. "The Great Schemer works in mysterious ways, as we both know." Both were in fact aligned with Tzeentch. After the Fall of Caliban, Xathian had been thrown into the Warp and trapped in a Daemon Forge run by Tzeentchian daemons. There, he studied for an unknown amount of time until Nurgle forces attacked and overran the forge. Vithian had turned to Tzeentch as a way to survive as reavers in the Warp after he and a small force of Star Scythes were cut off in a Warp Storm. The entity they were attempting to summon had a connection with Xathian, although Vithian didn't know the full details. 

Speaking together and in a largely forbidden language, the pair felt raw energy build up around them as they spoke. A servitor fell sideways and was dragged across the floor by an unseen force, meeting its demise at the base of the newly created Defiler. As the eyes atop the main housing began to glow, Xathian moved quickly. Using a rune encrusted chain he leapt on top of the beast and began to bind it. As he clipped the locks in place, he slid down the side, almost going face first into the ground due to his servo-arm. Turning back to his creation, he felt the gaze of the daemon within looking back at him, madness attempting to burrow its way into the Warpsmith's skull. 

"I am returned," it said in a low whisper, and in a language only Xathian and Vithian understood. "How long has it been, little Xathian?"

"Long enough, but I have honoured your wish," replied the Techmarine. "The master is now the pupil. The hunter the hunted..."

"Please spare me your human comparisons, little Xathian. I see you have ascended. Tell me, where are we headed?" 

"To take what is ours!" exclaimed the former Dark Angel. 

As always, comments and critique welcome. Good luck with your vows guys. 

• 1 month later...

A MONTH! A month without an update! Man, I need to crack on. Terminators are done, and Havocs have their basecoats down. So in Siege Makers tradition, here is my Terminator squad, the Iron Casters. The name comes not from any sorcery or affiliation to Tzeentch, but rather they cast the rest of the warband in Helslash's image, weeding out the weak and enforcing their brand of law on those they perceive as below them. Its also a nod to the warband's origins, the Siege Crafters. 

Rothga

Rothga, Terminator Champion, combi-melta and Power Axe

Having known Helslash for countless centuries, Helslash and Rothga have a deep bond, at least as far as Iron Warriors go. Rothga is a brute of an Astartes and knows he has no ability to lead on a massive scale. Whereas Helslash is cold and calculating, a rapier aiming for the jugular, Rothga is hot headed and quick to react, an axe to the middle of the forehead. When the Siege Makers formed amidst the shattered remains of the Siege Crafters, Helslash and Rothga ensured they took the best equipment as was their new right. The suits of Tactical Dreadnought Armour were highly coveted, and Helslash already had his own. Rothga was granted the next best one and allowed a similar armament to his Warsmith. He was then given one order: Enforce the will of the Warsmith at all times, and ensure in battle the safety of the Warsmith. As Rothga has no desire to be Warsmith himself, it is ideal for Helslash and the Terminator Champion is allowed a huge amount of freedom and pick of the spoils of victory after the Warsmith. Although regarded by many as a brute and thug, Rothga is just as calculating as his master but prefers to work things out on the battlefield. He actually despises the politics involved at the upper end of the warband, but enjoys the freedom afforded to him, and smashing usurpers in their own quarters, leaving a bloody smear in his wake as he enforces Helslash's regime. 

Kievan

Kievan, Terminator with combi-melta and Power axe
A sadist in the extreme, Kievan earned his reputation in the Siege Makers as an implacable killer. Although he will fight anywhere he is assigned, he takes great delight in destroying heavily armoured targets at the enemy's rear. To this extent, he has ascended the ranks and earned a place among the Siege Casters through manipulation and safe guarding his own interests. 

Trem

Trem, Terminator with combi-flamer, Power maul and Icon of Vengeance 
Trem earned his place among the Iron Casters as a killer of xenos. Sacrificing the previous wearer of his suit to a Hive Tyrant so as he could make the kill, he was awarded his place among Helslash's retinue due to his cunning. Rothga will assign him as vanguard in closely confined encounters as well as hordes of xenos as the situation dictates. He was awarded the Icon of the unit as he has a knack for his rallying calls, often calling into doubt the integrity of those around him. 

Garel

Garel, Terminator with Power axe and Reaper Autocannon. 
Originally Garel was part of a Havoc squad that met its demise at the hands of an Eldar ambush. He managed to escape, and turned the table on his assailants by turning his weapon and making the ground tremble with the heavy thud of shells unloading at close proximity, killing those still living by the end of his bombardment. He has since developed a hatred for the pointy eared race, and has a severe dislike for the warband's uneasy alliance with the kabal known as the Dark Blades. However, he has proved himself time and again by eliminating Helslash's foes, both in and outside of the Siege Makers. 

Afra

Afra, Terminator with a pair of Lightning Claws
The only experienced Terminator aside from Rothga, Afra enjoys the thrill of close combat more than most. Afra, however, enjoys combat with Astartes opponents more than anything, and especially if they have a green shade to them. To this extent, Afra usually enjoys combat with the Dark Angels and Salamanders Chapters, although any Space Marine colour helmet is welcome on his trophy rack. Recently, his sanity and integrity among the Iron Casters has been called in to doubt with the following transcript:
+That Dark Angel I got when he was back to back with that Salamander. Took their heads clean off. Got a third but it turned out it was an Alpha Legionnaire, so I just chucked the helmet to the side!+
Afra is usually the one alongside Helslash and Rothga in an assault due to his enthusiasm to get into combat. He is an ideal assault trooper and is single minded in his cause. 

Hope you enjoyed those bits of fluff guys. C&C is always welcome. 

Couple of units this week to add. First up is my 10 man Havoc squad from the CoC VII:

Havocs 1

Havocs 2

Above is my 10 man Havoc squad, the Stars of Ascension (Havoc squad, X2 Missile Launchers, Lascannon and Heavy Bolter, +5 Marines)
In many Astartes chapters, Devastator Squads are made up of recently promoted Initiates. In the Siege Makers this is twisted in a dark mockery to bring slaughter to the battlefield. Some of the warband's most ancient and venerated weapons are found here, and only those skilled with great marksmanship are permitted the use of them. They are often ascending the ranks of the warband, attempting to show a true understanding of the weapons at their disposal. Protecting them are recently recruited into the ranks of the IV Legion warband. These range from those who have been implanted with geneseed and recovering from surgery, to recently turned renegades with their equipment. This ensures their new allegiance to the Siege Makers, as each of these weapons is monitored closely to ensure they are always returned to the armoury, and woe betide any who allow harm to come to them. 

Coursain, Havoc Champion

Coursain, Stars of Ascension Champion (Havoc Champion with combi-plasma and power sword),

Originally from the Emperor's Watch Chapter and recently ascended to a 1st Company Vanguard Veteran, Coursain was taken captive by a group of Dark Eldar Wyches and thrown before the sands of the Dubray Arena in Commorragh. He was a worthy opponent and was requested at many an exhibition of feats. A small group of fighters planned an escape plan, and Cousain took joy in enacting it and fleeing back into real space after so long in the Webway. Feeling a sense of elation and pride at having escaped his captors, he felt a life returning to the cells of his Chapter and his humbling life somewhat paling, and so Coursain set course for the Eye of Terror. After a brief period as a mercenary, Coursain eventually found his way into Helslash's service. With the advent of the invasion of Mortrev, homeworld of the Emperor's Watch, Coursain has taken a slight glee, and indulged in murdering his former brothers. He will often take more esoteric trophies from the battlefield, such as an ear or index finger, although whether this is through a sense of dominance over the dead or simply insanity is not known at this point. 

The second unit I've uploaded to my album and I'll write up tomorrow as I need some sleep before work. Hope you like it folks, C&C welcome. 

And following on from last night is one of my basic CSM squads, known as The Iron Storm. They are in fact the CSM squad I did for the original ETL, but I've updated their shoulder markings and changed their weapon loadout (originally they had a missile launcher and plasma gun, now its 2 plasma guns - I think CSM work better if armed with 2 specials as it doesn't impact on their firepower as much as a heavy weapon does, but this is my opinion and it works for me). 

The Iron Storm 1

The Iron Storm 2

The Iron Storm, 10 man CSM squad with 2 Plasma Guns, Icon of Vengeance and Veterans of the Long War.
The Iron Storm is the oldest of the line squads from the Siege Makers, and is composed of bitter Iron Warriors who loathe any from another genetic line. Membership to this squad is simple - all are pure Iron Warriors, none are defectors from other Legions or Chapters. Newly recruited sons of Perturabo are welcome, but must prove themselves first, often by completing a set of objectives such as being able to shoot a certain number of eye lenses or correctly identify the weak points of certain marks of power armour. There is no true set of tests as such, and much of it is dependent upon the current Champion. The Iron Storm is called upon when heavy resistance is expected, and they will often deploy in forward positions and lend supporting fire as the battle rages.   

Antath, The Iron Storm Champion

Antath, Iron Storm Champion, Plasma Pistol and Power Fist

A Legion recruit after the Olympian Massacre, Antath has an incredible hatred for the Imperium. He also abhors many of those from other Legions both Loyalist and Traitor. He detests loyalist Space Marines for their blinding loyalty to a corpse, and sees nothing but competition in traitors. He prefers to kill his opponents from a distance, but isn't above cracking skulls open with his ancient Power Fist, Tank-Bane. His helmet has a gold front, a symbol of his status within the group. Some have assumed he is jealous of the power afforded to others within the warband, considering he was from the Siege Crafters too. Antath, however, knows different, and knows that what goes up must come down - often with his help and him waiting at the bottom for it. 

Hope you like it guys, C&C welcome. 

Call of Chaos VII Vow Complete. First up, the Lord I vowed, Barkesh the Destroyer. 

Barkesh the Manifested (front view)

Barkesh the Manifested (side view)

Chaos Lord, Burning Brand of Skalathrax, Ichor Blood, Sigil of Corruption, Meltabombs, Veteran of the Long War, Power Weapon, Gift of Mutation, Mark of Khorne. I understand that I could have used the Crimson Slaughter supplement (and I might even do so at some point) and given him Prophet of the Voices to make him Possessed but I felt it would have limited his game play a little, plus I wouldn't have been able to take the Burning Brand or VotLW. 

Originally a powerful Herald of Khorne, Barkesh and Ards'wat had an alliance while Ards'wat and his Pack had been banished following the Battle of Calth. He allowed the banished Daemon a place among his forces to aid him, racking up a debt of honour in the process. Barkesh led several assaults into the material realm, but was always dismayed at having to return to the Warp through loss of his grip on reality. When Ards'wat was able to return to the physical world via possession, Barkesh was quick to jump on this idea too. A Battle-Brother of the Praetors of Orpheus was sacrificed, and the body given over to possession by the Herald. Mutation ran rife in the newly acquired form, but it became suitable for the Daemon's purposes. Now, Barkesh is able to spend a great deal of time longer in the physical realm thanks to his allies in the Siege Makers, and regularly requests a 'spare' body be kept aside for him, although he always demands the armour be painted white in reflection of the first one he possessed. That, and he can see the blood stains easier. 

Next up are the renegades of the Star Scythe Chapter, who form a mobile element within the warband. 

Edit: In the photos he's Barkesh the Manifested instead of the Destroyer - that was his original title before I changed it more recently but forgot when I named the pic. My bad, whoops. He is Barkesh the Destroyer, just for clarity. 

I've used a new box for the Sorceror on Bike as that way I can keep these renegades together. He's part of the Star Scythe renegades, and they form the more mobile elements of the Siege Makers. With the Sorceror done, that is my vow complete for the Call of Chaos VII. Behold, Sorceror Vithian, former Epistolary of the Star Scythes. 

Sorceror Vithian (left side)

Sorceror Vithian (right side)

Sorceror, Bike, Sigil, Meltabombs, Mark of Tzeentch, Dimensional Key, +2 Mastery Levels. 

The Fortair system came under attack in late 231.M36 by a force of Orks. The Star Scythes mobilised a small strike force of Bikes and Assault troops, led by the Epistolary Vithian. Things went well, until a Warp Storm swept them into the Warp along with the rest of the human population and several Ork warbands. They were able to survive the Ork onslaught, but found themselves stuck in the Warp and under attack from a new foe - Chaos Space Marines. Making a fighting retreat and realising that the humans were the targets, the Star Scythes managed to board an ancient Thunderhawk and escape, although they didn't know where to. They had to land and resupply, attempting not to be in light of too many corrupted artefacts. However, they were still attacked and had to repair their armour in the field, scavenging parts from fallen Chaos Marines. Vithian, tired from trying to find a way home and succumbing to Warp visions, stated his intentions. Knowing they wouldn't be recognised by their Chapter or Imperium, they were to survive as renegades and mercenaries. Not long after, Vithian received clarity from Tzeentch, while Sergeant Soren turned to Khorne for martial prowess.

They plied their services to many warbands until in 365.M37 they were attached to a Black Legion warband who were attempting to attack a Dark Mechanicus Forgeworld, the Cogs of Madness. Several waves had already been wiped out - either by incredibly powerful defences or by the Iron Warriors warband who made the world their home. Vithian had a trick up his sleeve however - before their wave attacked, he and the renegades of the Star Scythes commandeered the frigate they were on, the Well of Isolation, and turned on their erstwhile employers. Having sought safe passage and giving the ship over as a bargaining tool, Vithian held talks with Helslash, Warsmith of the Siege Makers. The small band of renegades were integrated into the warband, where they now form a highly mobile element, while Vithian serves as an aide to Helslash, scrying the skies for targets and navigating the Warp in the absence of any Navigators.

Presently, news has reached Vithian of the death of the Star Scythes. He discovered their extinction and loss of homeworld happened 1600 years ago to the Eldar of Biel-Tan who were waging a series of skirmishes against the chapter that spread them thin and cut them where it hurt the most. This means there are several Star Scythe ships that are now empty and floating in space, as well as an abandoned Fortress Monastry. However, a shroud of darkness now seems to cover their old homeworld, and its exact location seems to be missing. This has sparked a flame of interest in Vithian and the Warsmith, although this may lead to a conflict of interests at a later point. 

The Next squad was originally a squad of Berzerkers (when they were troops in the gavdex), then they became Vanguard Veterans when I used the Siege Vanguard FW list (which is when they got their Jump Packs), then they became Raptors when I re-embraced the Chaos codex. Not pictured in the squad are 2 Space Wolves who now have Jump Packs but aren't painted up yet - they'll be added in a later post once they're done, along with their own history. 

Soren, Wings of Khorne Champion

Sergeant Soren, Wings of Khorne Champion, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon
​Originally a Sergeant of the 8th Company, Sergeant Soren has been tested of late by an insatiable bloodlust. He turned to Khorne as a way of improving his combat skills and giving him a purpose when the group divorced from their chapter - but now the true cost has arisen, he finds himself becoming even more daring and reckless when attempting to engage the enemy on the field. Since integrating into the Siege Makers, he has found like minded individuals who worship the Blood God. The most senior of these is Rualteth, Lieutenant to Helslash and Master of the Airborne. Soren uses advanced Mk.VIII Errant pattern Armour - a fact he boasts on a regular basis. His weapons are also his original weapons from their defection from the Imperium, although they have started to warped by the Immaterium. 

The Wings of Khorne, Raptor squad

The Wings of Khorne - Raptor Squad, X2 Plasma Pistols, Mark of Khorne, +2 Raptors

The Wings of Khorne are a tight knot group of Assault Marines, most of whom are from the Star Scythes 8th Company and who had only just begun their Assault training. Most of their weapons are from their defection, and thanks to their Jump Packs they have avoided the heaviest of damage, although some have had to repair their armour and now sport icons to the Dark Gods. During the commandeering of the frigate, the Wings of Khorne attacked the Black Legionnaires by dividing them and conquering in hit and run attacks. Once they had made enough of a dent, the Horned Reavers then secured important areas. They will often spar and train with The Iron Teeth, an Iron Warriors Line Squad who also follow the Blood God, although more as a means to an end. Recently, they have been bolstered with reinforcements in the forms of two young Space Wolves, the ones who persuaded Lokorex to defect from the Space Wolves. 

The last squad to be pictured is the Bike squad I vowed for the LPC 2012. 

Augutus, Horned Reavers Champion

Augutus, Champion of the Horned Reavers, Power Maul
Unlike the Wings of Khorne who have always been led by Soren, Augutus achieved his rank by killing the former leader of the Bike squadron. Sergeant Azran wanted to kill Vithian when he announced their detachment from the Imperium, and was going to draw his Bolt Pistol on the Librarian when Augutus intervened. There was a fight, and Augutus won, crushing Azran's skull with the Sergeant's Power Maul. Vithian awarded control of the Bikers to him, proclaiming him Champion. When the Star Scythes took control of the Well of Isolation, it was Augutus who took the bridge by storm, killing the captain and slaying the Navigators so as not to escape into the Warp. Some believe the Champion to be reckless, but in truth he is an opportunist, seizing the situation as it arises. 

The Horned Reavers, Biker Squad

The Horned Reavers - Bike Squad, +2 Bikers, X2 Meltaguns, Icon of Vengeance

The Horned Reavers are often the first to engage enemy forces when they range ahead of the main force. Often acting as a disruption to the enemy, they will target armour and targets of high value, wiping them out with their meltaguns and quickly moving on to other targets or making a rapid retreat. Before their absorption into the Siege Makers, they suffered horrific damage to their armour and were often the ones in need of the most repair. When the Well of Isolation was being commandeered, they were the ones who took out several key points after the Wings of Khorne made enough of a dent in the Black Legion's small force on board. They were mostly from the 6th Company, having been trained as both Tactical Marines and Bikers. Now, they act as cruel reavers who will spill the blood of their targets with contempt and malice, knowing there is no one to punish them save who can kill them. This has led to several run ins with some elements of the Siege Makers, where Vithian has had to use his powers to subdue them until they are again needed. 

• 1 month later...

Sssooo, I think an update could be in order. 
For those who are unaware, there is an awesome Frater vs Frater challenge going on in the Forge area of the board: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303480-augustus-arena-event-thread/. Myself and Iron Skull Mask are challenging each other (healthy challenging among the sons of Perturabo) - I've challenged him to finish X2 Helbrutes/Dreadnoughts (which will complete a Mayhem Pack), whilst he has challenged me to complete my counts-as Mutilators. As well as the update in the aboce linked thread, I thought I'd post my progress in my own thread too. 

Mutilators start

For those who liked my Possessed concept, I decided to go with it again, this time with a different unit and a different gene line. This group of (counts-as) Mutilators will be from the sons of Dorn, sort of as an honoured debt to the Siege Makers from Robersium, if you can see where this is going. I'll post updates to them as and when they get their colours, but needless to say I'm looking forward to this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Barkesh's daemon-flesh looked almost out of focus to the naked eye. The daemon-king ally of Warsmith Helslash enjoyed time in the Astartes body - such strong flesh, able to weather some of the most severe mutations as he reshaped it to his desired effect. In the Realm of Chaos, Barkesh controlled a legion of daemons, most of them created by the hand of Khorne in the same manner as he was. But he dreamed of a bigger plan. He had been inspired by Ards'wat, a fellow daemon banished back to the Warp during the battle of Calth. Since then, he had returned along with his pack, via means of possession. After the ritual to allow Barkesh a mortal host body, the Khorne Herald had another cunning plan, one that Helslash saw potential to exploit. 

Flitting between the mortal and Chaos realms, Barkesh looked to his regiments of Bloodletters. Some were more victorious than others, having more experience on battlefields across the many different realities. His first gathering would pitch his Bloodcrushers against each other. The last three standing would be given the first possessed bodies. Looking down into the great arena, Barkesh gave the signal and a horn was bellowed, its acoustics deep and reverberating across the audible land. Several large grates opened up around the edge. From each came a Juggernaught of Khorne, each ridden by the strongest of Bloodletters. As they all met in the centre of the arena, a great clash of arms and the sound of crushing metal rose up. Barkesh knew this would be a great challenge among his soldiers. 

In Perturabo's Post on the Cogs of Madness, Helslash and Robersium stood in front of a pool of black liquid. It shimmered to life as the visions from the Warp played out. Barkesh was keeping to his end of the bargain, the Warsmith thought. Now for Robersium to keep to his if the plan was to reach fruition. 

"You are certain that they are all pure Dorn seed?" questioned Helslash. 

"Does it make a difference, my liege?" replied the Sorceror. "Ten thousand years is a long time." As visions took shape in the liquid, Robersium saw worlds. "But yes, those that we seek are free from genetic mutations and defects." Helslash snarled as he saw three worlds, each a recruiting ground for his targets. 

"Excellent, pyromancer. I shall assemble a task force to bring these subjects back. Just ensure you have some names ready by the time I am finished." With that, the Warsmith turned and walked away, his cloak flowing from his ancient Terminator armour. Robersium saw the souls of the targets, and knew their time was rapidly running out. 

Mutilators WIP. Basecoats are all down, now I can concentrate on each one individually before the 19th April deadline. 

Mutilators WIP

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I couldn't stand it anymore - I had to get the squad done. So allow me to introduce Barkesh's Blades, Mutilators who form a bodyguard around Barkesh. 

Group shot:

Barkesh's Blades

Barkesh's Blades - Mutilators X3, Mark of Khorne. 

From the splintered horns and hellbaldes in the arena, three of the strongest Heralds of Khorne stood victorious. Their Juggernaught mounts were dented, one of them was even breathing heavily from a blocked nostril. Barkesh told them to all dismount, their true worth evident for all to see. Kneeling before their master, Barkesh smiled wickedly. Time flowed strangely in the Warp, and he knew that Helslash's end of the bargain was complete. There would be subjects for the victorious Heralds, whose whims would re-shape their new hosts as they saw fit. Knowing that these Heralds were now baying for true blood, Barkesh smiled to himself, thinking of the battles ahead and shedding blood along side these magnificent beasts. 

Sar'Kral

Sar'krel, Breaker of Wards, Slayer of the Undead. The last title came from Sar'krel's ability to fight Wraith units among the Craftworld Eldar. Although he wasn't one to brag, he did enjoy taking Eldar souls away from Slaanesh. 

Inhabiting the body of a BlackTemplar, formerly known as Estikan, Sar'krel knew the host's life from birth to his last mortal moments. Raised on an arid desert world, and gaining prestige through his martial prowess, Estikan was part of his Castellan's Command Squad, charged with seeking single combat on the battlefield. Very righteous, and praying at every given opportunity, Estikan was the model Black Templar and follower of Sigismund's teachings. He had hoped to one day become an Emperor's Champion, visions permitting. How ironic it was that, in his final moments, he realised he would become an anti-Emperor's Champon of sorts. 

Estikan had been part of a task force sent to quell an uprising on the world of Deama. Thirty Black Templars had been dispatched and utterly crushed the cultists of the depraved Blood Hounds, a sect known for their worship of Khorne. As the last cultist fell, elements of the Nihilists attacked. Artillery was the first mark of a co-ordinated attack, smashing into the Astartes lines as las-fire began to prick into their vision. Twelve brothers fell in that initial bombardment, each a seasoned fighter in their own right. Eighteen Initiates held their own for over an hour though, inflicting five times their number in heretic casualties. It was only as their numbers thinned thanks to Nurglite specialist weapons carriers and the arrival of heavy armour, namely the Leman Russ Battle Tank dubbed the Spoils of Victory, that the last of the Templars fell, Estikan realising he was the last of his kin. As the renegades circled him, and with him still cutting them down as they neared, he was determined that he would fell as many as he could before his demise. Then a path cleared between him and the leader, a bald headed champion with half of his body remade in cybernetics. 

Estikan charged up his Power Fist, then activated his Power Sword, both ancient relics in the Crusade he was part of. He leered forward, showing he wouldn't be intimidated by the presence of this heretic. It was this last sight he ever saw, as General Kryten fired his plasma pistol into Estikan's chest, ending his life immediately. With the target secured, Kryten the Iron Dragon ordered an immediate extraction, the perimeter secured with the objective his. Signalling over the ether-vox network, he informed Helslash of their victory, and made ready to return to the Cogs of Madness with their prize. 

Ar'Kr'Swal side

Ar'Kr'Swal front

Ar'Kr'Swan, Khorne's embedded, Slayer from beneath. Although a daemon of Khorne and always wanting to engage in close combat, Ar'Kr'Swan knows there is more than one way to fight the enemy. He chose the Crimson Fist corpse as his host, belonging to a former brother of the rebuilding 3rd Company, Siguel. But he had seen it through the Warp that this union would take place, and made sure as his future host would be in great shape for their spiritual union. 

It was just before Ortan Hishais took command of the Crimson Fists 3rd Company that the daemon struck. A task force had been assembled to reclaim the ruins of the Arx Tyrannus from Ork occupiers. Ar'Kr'Swan had laid a sword for Siguel to find, which he eventually did. The Orks provided a great distraction - they needed goading, which made the Khornate Herald more greatful as he directed them to separate the survivor. As Siguel was divorced more and more from his brothers, he came to confront his patron of sorts. 
​Unbeknownst to many,some of the Orks were in the employ of Barkesh, and he was calling in to collect. After a fierce struggle, Siguel last saw an Ork Choppa sever his Carotid Artery before several more smashed his cranium in. A Warp Rift was shortly opened to allow the body to be moved to the Dark Mechanicus Forge World, along with several prolific members of the Orkoid community. Shortly after it closed, the area was subjected to an intense purging by the Crimson Fists' own hands, who eradicated every life form not human as they saw them.   

Kiten'Darveed front

Kiten'Darveed side

Kiten'Darveed, Eradicator of the Night, Destroyer of the Hounds. Kiten'Darveed was originally a Son Of Horus, having achieved daemonhood following the Horus Heresy. He detested what became of his Legion, and has sought out those who bear the Great Betrayer's geneseed. To this end, he has a great hatred towards those in the Black Legion calling themselves the Hounds of Abbadon. 

Once Barkesh called the trials to allow those greatest a place in his retinue, he rose to the challenge. He is the greatest winner, knowing he has shed the most blood in those trials. But he also looks to the future, and knows that Khorne does not like idleness. 

Brother Foren was a humble brother, recently promoted to Veteran status. As an Imperial Fist, he practised scrimshawing to a massive degree. Upon the world of Daythen, he met his demise and the unholy union began. What started as a simple reclamation task quickly became an entrenched battle against the bitter enemies of the sons of Dorn, the Iron Warriors. His power fist dispatched traitor after traitor, his eye set upon destroying the enemies of the Emperor. Upon the field, driving the enemy back, he led a squad into the trenches that the Iron Warriors of the Siege Makers had set up, casting down their blasphemous icons as they did so. Driving ever deeper, a bulk head separated him from his squad. 

He heard their cries as they were cut down one by one.  Each brother sentenced to death by him, and he was powerless to stop it. It was then that a champin of the Blood God emerged, challenging him. Rualteth, a veteran from the Scouring, swung his gifted axe in martial pride. Scars that criss-crossed his face were displayed in a form of pride, and his smile was mocking to say the least. He held two axes, one his own gifted fro the Blood God, the other a simple power axe from some origin. Foren cared not as he charged. As he did so, Rualteth charged, silently which was unbefitting of a follower of the Blood God. As they approached, Foren swung, his zeal trying to find a weakness in his opponent's armour. It was to no avail, as Rualteth skidded under the swing and slammed his right handed axe into Foren's left arm. The cut was clean, the smell of burnt flesh now high for both to smell. The son of Dorn tried to block the succession of blows to his body, managing only a fraction from the super human strength that was renting the sides of his amour. Rualteth lept high, the last thing Foren saw. The butt of his axe smashed Foren's forehead in, and the transhuman fell to the side. 

"Would have thought you'd be better sport," said the Siege Maker Lieutenant as he hefted the Imperial Fist's head up, daubing ancient sigils on his head. "And now it is done!" Stepping back, Rulateth recited an ancient language, allowing Kiten'Darveed full control of the corpse. Getting up groggily, the possessed beast sensed where changes needed to be made.

'Where is blood flowing?' The voice sounded almost ethereal, as if it didn't truly belong in this realm. 

"Blood flows where it is needed. Is this transaction done?" 

'This transaction is but the beginning, young one,' Kiten'Darveed signalled for a weapon. Tossing over the lesser renowned axe and keeping his own blessed weapon close, Rulateth saw the shift in the daemon's mood.'We hunt and we kill, young Olympian. Let us shed blood for our true master. I feel it in your veins. Sanguinium pro derm sanguinius, frater.' Rualteth smiled.

"Sanguinius frater, sanguinius domus."

I hope you enjoyed this folks. It was a pleasure painting these guys. 

Iron Within, Iron Without. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys and girls I need an opinion. The following guy was a scratch built sentinel that I made for the LPC '13 (iirc). However, as I now use the R&H list and the squadrons come in 3s or more, he is being shifted over to the Siege Makers. However, do you think I should change the guys torso over to a CSM one keeping the head, or leave it as is? There will be a plate or something in the front so he won't be entirely exposed as he currently is. What do you think?

WP 000058

He will have a twin linked lascannon where his Missile Launcher is, but I'm not sure whether to put the Missile Launcher on top of him or on the left. Again, thoughts?

Many thanks in advance fellow heretics. 

So, the last few updates to my Iron Warriors army have been more on the more renegade and esoteric elements of the Siege Makers. Tonight this shall be remedied. I put the bellows and squad markings on some more of my units, and took a few snaps. I shall give each squad a box in this thread, as they each deserve it. I'll start with a couple of the Line Squads, the first being The Iron Teeth. 

Iron Teeth 1

Iron Teeth 2

CSM squad,+5 Marines, MoK, Flamer, Meltagun, Icon of Wrath. Champion Shail - Plasma Pistol, Power Sword, Meltabombs

Formed from the most melee orientated members of the Siege Makers, the Iron Teeth are also known to be the greatest scavengers from the battlefield. From parts of armour to weapons, they will turn any piece of equipment to their cause. Their squad icon reflects their tendencies - to shed the blood of the enemy. To this end, their greatest foes will find their skull impaled on their banner, a tribute to the Throne of Skulls whom their champion dedicates the kill to. 

Shail himself is likened to a force of nature. Recruited into the IV Legion during the Scouring, he detests anything to do with the Imperium. He has an extensive range of bionics, the most prominent of which incorporate into his helmet. He is the most recent champion of the Iron Teeth, having achieved his rank through sheer brutality and ritually killing his predecessor. His reverence to Khorne comes from practicality - he and his squad are often part of the vanguard during an assault. They perform some of the most intense close quarter combat imaginable, often against some of the most inhospitable of foes and, on occasion, enemy Astartes. Any Space Marines are greatly appreciated as enemies - their sheer durability and stamina makes them an ideal opponent on any battlefield, an opponent who can adapt to the tactics employed by the Iron Teeth. This is welcomed by the squad, knowing that the kills are the sweeter. 

Originally this squad had a power weapon in it instead of the flamer, as it was made when I was using the Siege Vanguard list. However, as followers of the Blood God they have seen their fair share of combat, but do tend to suffer casualties at an astonishing rate. Literally, I'm surprised if they last beyond the first round of shooting upon them once they're out of their transport (which is always taken). 

A while ago me and my brother played a campaign, the Austik Vien Relic campaign ( http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/285711-the-austik-vien-relic-campaign/ ). Although primarily Traitor Guard vs Necrons, the last battle I allied in some of my Iron Warriors, the squad that had the honour was the Iron Death. As an idea to the history of making them, they too were designed using the Siege Vanguard list. Their shields, taken from the Chaos Knights kit, represent the siege mantlets option for tactical squads. Now, they represent an extra close combat weapon option, as I imagine them battering back the enemy as they fire their weapons at close range. The guy with the flamer originally had a Heavy Bolter, but that's not my point - his legs are cobbled together from the hatch gunner from the vehicle sprue, biker legs and even an Empire knight's foot. He doesn't look pretty, but good old franky as I've nicknamed him holds his own. He's unique to say the least. They too were done as part of the LPC '13 iirc, maybe the LPC '12. Either way, they have served me as a great all round unit since. 

Iron Death 1

Iron Death 2

CSM squad, +5 Marines, +close combat weapons, flamer, plasma gun, Icon of Vengeance. Champion Vornt - Plasma Pistol, Power Maul, Meltabombs

A squad that nearly rivals the age of the Iron Storm, the Iron Death is geared towards medium to close fire support, and isn't afraid to get involved with hand to hand combat if required. The shields carried by squad members are desecrated Breacher Squad shields, carrying a mark from each of its former owner. To gain entry into the squad, every member must be able to wield a Bolter one handed and fire on the move. This in turn leads to many veteran members being drawn towards membership, as they prove their worth within the warband. It is also common practise for a training Apothecary to be attached to the squad to retrieve the progenoids due to the high attrition rates among the squad. Some of the squads more defining moments have been assaulting a high rise palace, their shields deflecting the worst of titan equivalent weaponry, and accompanying the Sorceror Robersium against the Necrons on Austik Vien. As an additionalnote, heavy weapons have been eschewed from the squad - if it can't be fired from a locked wrist, it doesn't make the grade. 

Vornt is a barbaric by many standards. Recruited into into the Iron Warriors towards the end of the Great Crusade, he uses a power maul dubbed The Spiker as his weapon of choice. He has been through 3 Bolters, 6 plasma pistols, four combi-bolters and a single gravgun that was used up in its one and only encounter. But always The Spiker has been there, administering 'enforcement' (re:cruelty with contempt) with gratuitous ease. Vornt is always moving forward, knowing he is backed up by veterans who want to see the Imperium burn. Deep down, however, Vornt need to ensure the The Spiker is readily fed, lest its base desires overtake him. 

Are you going to pick up any of the recent Iron Warriors upgrade from Forge World?

I've been looking at them and might just have to make a purchase. I like the heads a lot, but I think the torsos would have to go on more obscure units like Chosen or a cult unit. That said, I've always thought Mk.III would be most prevalent in the Iron Warriors, so I'm thinking of getting some of those bits along with some Breacher squads  upgrade bits. A certain Iron Warriors army inspired me with this, can't think who that would be eh IP :rolleyes: :tongue.:

Now, speaking of Chosen, allow me to introduce the Siege Vanguard, Chosen squad and some of the most bitter sadists in the galaxy. The squad itself is made mostly from Chaos Marines, an Assault Squad and a couple of bits from the Space Wolves sprue. The running pose of the legs signified to me their tendancy to engage the enemy as quickly as possible. I imagine them to mostly be fighting in confined spaces - trenches, corridors,packed city streets etc. There is no target they don't know how to handle, each is a veteran of the Great Crusade that has honed death as an art. 

Siege Vanguard - Niran

Niran, Chosen with Power Sword
Recruited fifty years before the Olympia Massacre, Niran has always had an excellent talent with close quarter weapons, but mostly those with a blade. Following the Heresy, Niran sold his services for a while before he came across Trapteth. Seeing opportunity, Niran chose to follow the aspiring leader, and saw conflict with the Space Wolves on many an occasion in the first few years. In fact, Niran came to enjoy dueling with the sons of Russ above any others, going so far as to even incorporate their runes of death upon his armour. His power sword, Njalli, is a trophy from a Wolf Guard who nearly severed Niran's head. The scars from that battle are still etched upon the Iron Warrior's neck, and was the reason for replacing his original helmet too. Since the Siege Vanguard joined the Siege Makers, Niran has had plenty of time to hone his skills, but will always relish the opportunity to combat those of Fenrisian origin. 

Siege Vanguard - Stredge

Stredge, Chosen with Power Fist
A Great Crusade veteran who also took delight in the Tallarn War, Stredge has learnt to trust his power fist DX-101 (the serial number stamped on the inside of the glove) above all else. When the traitor legions retreated, Stredge found himself upon a daemon world as he separated from his Grand Company and having to battle his way out. He made a pact with a Tzeentch daemon who granted him access back to the material universe, but that one day he would have to repay the debt. Stredge and Trapteth already knew each other from a previous deployment, and it was only through familiarity that they chose to work together. As the years have worn on, he has become more and more withdrawn. Worrying about the debt to the daemon, his fingers twitch every so often when wearing DX-101, creating a spark for a split second. To most, none notice. But from beyond the veil, his debtor watches, and continues counting down.

Siege Vanguard - Skrenn

Skrenn, Chosen with Melta gun
​Most Iron Warriors are incredibly direct in most approaches. Skrenn's story differs slightly than most. Recruited after the Heresy by a group of Iron Warriors, Skrenn's warband was assailed by Alpha Legion who stole the latest group of recruits and took them to their lair. There, they tortured him until he swore his allegiance to his new masters. His time with the XX Legionaires wasn't without warrant, however. Whilst wearing the colours of Alpharius, and losing his name in the process, he learnt to conceal himself with his surroundings. He was given a melta gun, and sought out high priority targets using stealth and guile. Whilst on a mission with his Cell against some Inquisitorial forces, he came up against Trapteth. Recognising a fellow in a similar situation, Skrenn was once again taken and held captive, this time aboard an Imperial cruiser. Trapteth had a multitude of allies, and this one scanned his biological makeup to determine his true origins. Trapteth gave him a choice - stay as he was, an Alpharius of the XX and faceless, or return to his true origins and burn the Imperium down bunker by bunker. Having regained his name, Skrenn now eels he owes his life to the aspiring champion, and will always call himself a Vanguard before anything else.

Siege Vanguard - Obras

Obras, Chosen with combi-flamer. 
The Iron Spark, the burning butcher, the True Old Boy. Obras wasn't a pre-teen when he was recruited into the Iron Warriors, he was a Terran in his 30s. In his previous life he had been a wealth administrator, and bored beyond belief. Once recruited into the IV Legion at the height of the Heresy, he felt unleashed and set about making sure that others didn't share the same fate. He was able to travel among worlds, rousing the local populations to tear down the icons of the Emperor and those perceived as shackled to his bidding. When the Heresy ended, he made his name as a mercenary for a long time. It was his time with a Word Bearers Host that he learnt the value of artificing his personal beliefs, and thus remade his now ancient Bolter. Now, it was remade as a Bolter-flamer named Sulphus, bringing the true light to the masses. Obras was also responsible for the murder of no less than three dozen Planetary Officials. Whereas he enjoyed killing normal people (from administrators to Guardsmen), he wasn't as great against enemy Astartes unless engaging them in close combat. It was for this that Trapteth recruited him into the Siege Vanguard. When the squad became part of the Siege Makers, Obras has spent many an hour with the Nihilists, honing their skills and ensuring the future of humanity is as enlightened in his view. 

Siege Vanguard Champ - Trapteth

Trapteth,Chosen Champion with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol

​Mercenary extraordinaire, plains hunter, hatred incarnate. Trapteth is all of these and more. He was present at the Siege of the Emperor's Palace, but then he was a White Scar, a son of the Khan. He betrayed his brothers when the traitor legions poured through the breach in the outer wall, turning his bolter upon his squad. He rejoiced in the liberation of wanton abandon, and his kill tally rose as those who believed him a saviour were gunned down when he revealed his new allegiance. When the traitors were driven back, he felt shame but knew he would never be part of the V Legion's brotherhood again. He was aboard a World Eater's craft as they entered the Eye of Terror after the Scouring, the years in between tempering his hatred towards the Imperium, but seeing the effect of the Blood God's rage and the Butcher's Nails he knew he didn't want to be part of that either. To this end, he departed ways with the sons of Angron on a star port and began to carve his way as a mercenary, and a very successful one at that.

It was an iron Warrior squad that initially hired him for his speed and efficiency. He learn to utilise his speed to quickly engage the enemy, but also the lessons learnt from the IV Legion enabled him to attack enemy weak points he had never considered before. Very quickly, he adapted and exchanged his old weapons for new, with a power fist named Lucian his new weapon of choice. Around this time he also decided to discard his former Legion identity, shedding the crisp white V Legion for the gun metal Iron Warriors scheme. In these new colours he has waged war upon the Imperium since.

Reborn to the IV Legion, Trapteth has earned a name carved in blood. He has been hired by several warbands thanks to his skills, and forged his own small unit of unique individuals. Around 700.M36, Helslash contracted him to undertake some missions on behalf of the Siege Makers. This resulted in a number o other missions until 904.M38 when Helslash offered the merc a permanent place in the Siege Maers. Hesitant at first, Trapteth accepted after a lengthy negotiation. Now, the Siege Vanguard live up to their name, and receive the best armour and priority repairs after Helslash, Rualteth and the Iron Casters. Trapteth accepts this, and now has a chance to look forward to the next battle.

Hope you like the fluff folks. As always C&C is welcome.  

• 4 weeks later...

Below are the units I'll be entering in for this years ETL. They are:

Land Raider WIP

Land Raider

10 CSM WIP

10 CSM

Thousand Sons WIP

Thousand Sons (counts as)

6 Chosen WIP

6 Chosen (they will have the Mark of Slaanesh)

To those of you reading this and participating in this years ETL, good luck and may the Dark Gods favour you. 

Chosen Squad for my ETL IV vow complete. Allow me to present Squad Nial, the Corvus Reapers. 

Chosen Squad Nial 'The Corvus Reapers'

Chosen Squad, +1 Chosen, Mark of Slaanesh, Plasma gun, Meltagun, X2 Power Swords, Pair of Lightning Claws, Icon of Excess, Veterans of the Long War. Champion Nial has a Plasma Pistol and Power Sword. 

The Corvus Reapers. A squad that has caused a fair share of problems within the Siege Makers. From the antics of various squad members to disrupting talks with the Kabal of the Dark Blades, the Dark Eldar Kabal that has an uneasy alliance with the Siege Makers, it is often a wonder they haven't been executed or exiled from the warband. They remain, however, due to their skills that none other seem to match. Although the Siege Vanguard are known to go forward and attack the enemy, the Corvus Reapers make a sport of it and their target is often the physical enemy soldier, not enemy structures or wargear such as tanks. The group formed a while ago, around the end of the Heresy although the last member joined in 502.M.37, when Nial was part of a different warband, the Lacerators of Heaven. All members have a considerable level of experience and have scavenged their weapons from the field and enemies. There are two key requirements to joining the squad - one, they wear at least Corvus helmets and aspire to own a complete set of Mark 6 Corvus armour by whatever means necessary; and two, they accept Slaanesh into their lives, so as to bathe in the glory of perfection unbound. 

Nial, Chosen Champion (MoS)

Nial, Chosen Champion, plasma pistol, power sword and Mark of Slaanesh. 
Despite being an Iron Warrior, Nial is actually compassionate towards his squad, but beyond this he is extremely mercurial in his dealings with others. Shorter than most other Astartes, he is often accused of also having mutated thumbs, something he rebukes every time it is brought up. That said, he is an expert swordsman, and is reported to have sparred with Captain Lucius of the Emperor's Children. During the Great Crusade, he was an Assault Marine who loved the thrill of close combat fighting, being one of the first to attack an enemy was something he grew to love. His love of Corvus pattern armour stems from the Dropsite Massacre of Istvaan V, when he saw the Raven Guard using it to great effect. He took the helmet of the first son of Corax he slew, and since then it has become a passion (in the literal meaning) of his to wear Corvus pattern armour at all times.
At the end of the Great Heresy, he was a Sergeant-Champion to the remnants of a Tactical Support squad. Among them, only two would survive service as the old Legion dissolved of its former ranks, Zebius and Dartius. Within two decades, the squad he had inherited had been all but wiped out. It was around this time (417.M.32) that the squad joined the Lacerators of Heaven, a Slaanesh worshiping warband drawn from several Legions and recently turned renegades. It was here that Nial, Dartius and Ziebus learnt of perfection in it's true form, and became faster, more aggressive, better than what they could have ever hoped to have been. By this point, they had all adopted the Corvus pattern helmet, with the sigil of the Dark Prince of Pleasure upon it. The Lacerators of Heaven were officially destroyed in actions against the Blood Angels around 300.M35, although the Corvus Reapers, as they had become known at this point, had escaped the field. They spent several decades wondering between small warbands before Nial made contact with Helslash of the Siege Makers, and joined their ranks in 487.M37. Since then, they have mostly been involved in attacks against other Astartes and Eldar of all types, although they take great joy in fighting the latter. 

Dartius, Chosen with Plasmagun (MoS)

Dartius, Chosen with a Plasma gun and Mark of Slaanesh
Recruited towards the end of the Horus Heresy, Dartius was largely a close combat orientated beast. His history and fate are intertwined with Nial and Ziebus, and he has been through much with them. In his years of service, he has acquired a plasma gun he has dubbed the Corona. He prides himself in dealing a fierce, energy based death upon his foes. Before his initiation into Perturabo's Legion, he was a young chef within the Imperial Army although the day he proved a gene match for the IV Legion was the day he was reborn. 

Ziebus, Chosen with Meltagun (MoS)

Ziebus, Chosen with Meltagun and Mark of Slaanesh
Recruited at the same time as Dartius, Ziebus has always had an affection for shorter ranged fights. Although he prefers close quarter combat, he also knows that the squad needs to hit heavy before going in, and so takes delight in wielding the Melta gun he took from a dead Salamander Space Marine. It was with this that he served in the Tactical Support squad at the end of the Horus Heresy, and has kept it lovingly maintained since. He maintains that it is a weapon, a tool, nothing deserving of a name, yet he has only ever been separated from it once and this resulted in separation anxiety like conditions. He still carries his ancient Bolt Pistol with him, although it is for show than actual use. It hasn't actually been loaded since the Reign of Blood, when he saw the birth of the Sisters of Battle and laughed at the irony. 

Bennum, Chosen with Power Sword (MoS)

Bennun, Chosen with Power Sword and Mark of Slaanesh. Please note Bennun is his actual name, its just a typo I need to correct on the pic at some point. 
Bennun joined the Iron Warriors during the height of the Great Crusade, where he was quickly recognised as being adept at battlefield communications. He managed to disguise the fact he was loyal to Terra at the outbreak of the Great Heresy, although he was known to have several links with loyalists who were executed during the Istvaan III actions. He was regarded largely as a scholar of sorts, reading extensively the history and abilities of the next theater of war. More so than the rest of the Corvus Reapers, he is more calculating and is often regarded as the one to seek out enemy weaknesses before combat. Due to the squad's association with Slaanesh, this is actually done extremely quickly. Bennun gained his Corvus helmet by killing a Raven Guard Assault Marine, while his power sword actually came from a Steel Brethren Aspiring Champion. 

Caak, Chosen with Power Sword (MoS)

Caak, Chosen with Power Sword and Mark of Slaanesh

The most recent member to join the Corvus Reapers, Caak was actually recruited post Heresy, during a recruitment drive of 250.M37. Although young compared to others of the Siege Makers, he has proven himself even in impossible odds. On a mission against the Black Templars of the Sandiem Crusade, he damaged his helmet. He was soon engaged in close combat, where he bested an Initiate and took his own Corvus helmet. His next action involved wiping out a Sword Brethren squad, where he obtained a power sword, although he had to hack the hand off and take the chains with it. This he has used to great effect, ensuring he is never without a weapon again. When the Corvus Reapers joined the Siege Makers in 487.M37, he became intrigued by their actions. Over the next decade, he made it his mission to collect a complete suit of Mark VI armour, a feat not accomplished by any other Corvus Reaper. In 502.M37, Nial offered him a place among the squad, and he has proven his worth ever since. 

Bowyen, with Icon of Excess & Pair of Lightning Claws (MoS)

Bowyen, Chosen with Pair of Lightning Claws, Icon of Excess and Markof Slaanesh. 

Of all the Corvus Reapers, Bowyen is the most twisted of fates. Originally, Bowyen was of the World Eaters, a son of Angron. He was a brawler who wanted more, and won a pair of Lightning Claws he called Sparks from a fellow Berzerker. But he always wanted more - more skulls, more action, more speed. In 313.M34, his warband fought against the Lacerators of Heaven, and he found a way he had been seeking. No longer were his kills dedicated to Khorne, but he found his soul bound to fighting for pleasure's sake. He became thrice cursed and rejected the ways of the Blood  God, and fought under the icons of the Pleasure Prince. He never truly left his martial ways though, but he recognised that the Butcher's Nails gave him ecstasy instead of pain. When the Lacerators were destroyed, he left the field with the Corvus Reapers, taking with him a Mark VI helmet from a fallen Blood Angel Death Company marine. His armour is the most mismatched of them all, and is often the most that requires repairs or upgrades. Because of his actions and executions dedicated to the Dark Prince, he has received the honour of displaying the unit's banner, invigorating his squad mates in battle. 

Hope you like 'em folks. I enjoyed painting them as well as basing them, but the studded pads did cause a bit of a conundrum for a bit. Originally they were just going to be silver and gold, but I thought as Slaanesh followers black and gold seemed much better. I also didn't know what to do about the Mark of Slaanesh itself, and did think of just doing their mark 6 helmets in purple. Then I realised that a full squad of purple helmets :wink: just didn't seem appropriate. I could be wrong, what do other Dark Prince followers think? 

One squad down, three to go. 

Quick WIP shot of my Thousand Sons squad (well, counts as):

Thousand Sons (count as) WIP

The idea is that they will be supporting this guy, Captain Altoth the Archeao-Technologist of the Siege Makers (he himself is undergoing a bit of modification to makehim a bit more 'Tzeentchy'):

Captain Altoth front

Captain Altoth rear

The shield represents his Sigil of Corruption combined with the Mark of Tzeentch giving him the 3++. It's made from a normal storm shield trimmed down at the bottom and a Defiler mask. I thought the horns would be a nice touch. 

I will most likely have the squad done in the next couple of days, as well as remarking the captain. I'll throw their fluff up together once they're all done. 

Thanks IP. This year I'm doing a 10 man CSM squad with melta and flamer; a Land Raider; Thousand Sons with an Icon of Flame (WIPs shown above); and a 6 man Chosen squad with Mark of Slaanesh, X2 power swords,Lighting Claws, Plasma and Melta, Icon of Excess and Champ with a Power Sword and Plasma pistol. So far, I've only completed the Chosen squad, best get my painting cap on :rolleyes:

Thanks Xenith. I've tried them out once and they did well, but did need support to get into combat. Once there though they did well - they beat an assault squad, part of a tactical squad and finished off a sternguard veteran squad. The higher Initiative and Feel No Pain coupled with their power swords meant they hurt the units in combat. I haven't tried them against terminators yet but I don't fancy their chances if I'm honest. 

Archived