Night Lords 33rd Company - The Mongrels of the Eight

MrBear

that's some fine WIP pics :thumbsup:

i'm with augustus on the guy on the left in the first picture, but i guess it's the tacks fault :wink.:

i like your captain, because his pose and gear just convey a massive feeling of badassery!

there's two parts i gotta know where they're from, first pic the left guys' head and second pic also the head :tongue.:

Cheers guys! Thanks for the feedback, always nice get some input before the old super glue makes an appearance.

Haha well don't worry - the wip pics give us an insight into your work process, which, like everyone's work process, is always in the process of improving :biggrin.:

Point in case: I really like these dudes, mostly because of the different bits you used (I approve highly of the raptor arms and the MkV legs) and especially the last guy. He looks the part. Small detail on the left guy in the first pic: I'd try bending his torso a little backward (it slightly looks like he is bending forward now) and a little to his left (which will give the impression of his torso adding momentum to his swing). :thumbsup: What is the last guy going to be - a warpsmith or 'just' a champion of some sort?

MOAR!

Well I have built up more of a 'bits box' this year (and I try to make it grow bigger still) so there will be a bit more variation now compared to the first guys I made. I agree about the pose, most of it comes from the tacking but I will be careful with the posing when the time comes to finalize.  The last guy is Justinian Vorbis - Captain of the 33rd, Lord of the Mongrels, the Straight Edge of the Eight Legion. Since the old 3.5 codex is the latest chaos codex that I own I haven't got a clue what the proper name of the HQ is these days but he's no warpsmith, in my head he's a regular lord. :smile.:

Did some painting yesterday and there's 'only' skulls, red markings, lightning, an extra armour highlight and the bases left so there's a distinct possibility I can finish them during the weekend. Got to write their background aswell though...

Love the new guy with the power fist and stormbolter -- is that the CSM champion head with the horns cut off? It's looking excellent!

Correct guess! I wanted a more special head for him and with the horns filed he got a Bane from 'The Dark Knight Rises' vibe that's quite fitting for a Night Lord :pirate:

that's some fine WIP pics :thumbsup:

i'm with augustus on the guy on the left in the first picture, but i guess it's the tacks fault :wink.:

i like your captain, because his pose and gear just convey a massive feeling of badassery!

there's two parts i gotta know where they're from, first pic the left guys' head and second pic also the head :tongue.:

I would say it's mostly the tack but I could probably have been more careful with the pose anyway. Regarding the captain I've been working a bit on his background and if I can put my ideas on paper he will hopefully have a suitable backstory when he's finished.

Regarding the heads... The first one is a head from the Havocs box with a pair of tusks cut off, a quite easy conversion. The other one is the bare head from the plastic chaplain in the reclusiam command squad box, his body is the base for my captain. :cool.:

Well brothers and sisters, it's update time again! A couple of days late as always but c'est la vie as they say...

”To a mortal eye the corridor would have been nothing but utter darkness, though few of them ever entered the halls and fewer still left it with body and mind intact. But so seldom were these rooms used that most of the Legion's servants had never even heard their name, 'The Heart of Stone', those that had shuddered inwardly though as they knew it as the place where the Captain's cold justice was executed upon those unfortunate enough to be considered 'special cases'. If mercy was a rare thing in the dark realm of their demigod masters it was totally unknown here where only an eventual death would bring any kind of release from the torment.

Their feelings about the place meant next to nothing to Kalad as he stood guard at the sealed portal to the ships 'inner sanctum'. Serfs did not matter much, they were just there to do the bidding of the Astartes or to serve as prey to those of his brothers that could not contain their lust to hunt between the raids. Wasteful as the latter might seem there was never any real lack of lower deck trash and if anyone grew so bloodthirsty that they were effectively uncontrollable the Captain would dispose of them if their brothers did not do it themselves. A stray thought entered Kalad's head, I wonder when Jastes will finally lose what little controll he has left. Not that he really cared, while he might feel some small sympathy towards Sazed who had to lead the mob that called itself 'Third Claw' it would be no great loss if Jastes should grow too wild for the Captain's taste.

As he looked along the corridor there were other things dominating his mind though, such as the boredom standing guard when the rest of the Company was raiding the planet below. It was not the duty as such, the 'Primus Pilus' usually served as the Captain's bodyguard after all. No Atramentar bastards for the 'Mongrels'. They've always looked down upon us as if the 33rd was a pile of rotting blood they had accidentally stepped in. What really bothered him was that he was most likely stuck with this duty for as long as they remained in orbit. He could understand why he had been chosen to stay behind when his brothers raided the citadel, an autocannon was hardly the most efficent weapon in a 'stealth mission' after all, but the damage the others had taken meant that most of them would be unsuited to stand guard for weeks.

In his irritation he flickered through the different spectra of his eye lenses even though all it was doing was letting him see the dust-covered floor and walls in several ways at the same time. Quite useless at this time unless a stealth shielded assassin somehow had found his way onboard. Losing his left eye, while somewhat inconvenient at the time, had turned to be an overall blessing though as he could now track numerous targets at once without disrupting his aim. The act gave rise to another stray thought, I almost wish that the Captain had sent 'Second Claw' instead, it would have done the 'True-blooded' good to bleed for a change. Those damn Nostromans are the reason we have to stand guard here anyway. But he had to admit that they most likely would have failed with the task though which combined with an Inquisitor on the loose was not something to have made the rest of the Company happy.

While everyone was following the Captain's orders Kalad could not deny that there were 'tensions' within the Company. Most of the Nostramans could not quite adapt to the fact that they might form the overwhelming majority of the Legion but that they were simply a plurality among the 33rd. While many customs had changed after the Night Haunter joined his sons many more had lingered, especially with the 'Primus Pilus' as a reminder of the 'Old Legion' when tales of the 'Grey Terrors' were whispered on countless worlds. In a way they served as the dark 'heart' of the 'Mongrels', just as the Captain was their 'soul'. Though he might be cold and distant and his ideology might seem like a delusion to most of the Legion it did not matter to Kalad and the rest of 'First Claw'. It was clear to them that their Captain, in a way, was still fighting the 'Great Crusade', or a dark reflection of it at least. While they might not bring worlds into compliance with the 'Imperial Truth', he still led them in a fight against crime, corruption and faith with the same methods that had made the Eight feared throughout the galaxy. It was sweetly ironic to the 'Primus Pilus' that these actions were now done against the Imperium they had helped build and that had cast them out. Kalad knew most of their brothers throughout the Legion, and even many among the 'Mongrels', might laugh madly at them for how much they shared their Captain's 'delusions' but it gave them a purpose. They might have spat upon their oaths to the Emperor but that did not mean that the ideals they had once fought for were wrong. While it might be an impossible fight, all but pointless considering their situation, it was still a fight that needed to be fought. The rest could rot their souls away if they so liked, they would still continue to wage the war they had been made to fight.

Bitterness was not an uncommon feeling among the sons of the Night Haunter but their stance had made the 'Primus Pilus' truly acrimonious over the years as so many of their brothers followed other paths. Especially as knew that their days were numbered, one day their luck would run out and they would face oblivion. It had seemed to their eyes that they would leave no legacy behind, that their histories would be forgotten. That had changed after Tsagualsa when they had fled the wrath of the 'Primogenitors', the Captain had been quick-thinking and lucky as they had slipped away not only unscathed but with an extra Apothechary aswell. Even though Scadrial was only half sane, together with Camon the two of them had been enough to supply a slowly but steadily increasing number of new brothers to the Company. Some of them, like Pahn Kahl, were disappointments that fell to the same ways as their more depraved bretheren but most of them showed promise. One of them had even been chosen by the 'Primus Pilus', a surprising act to all but Derethan had been what the Captain's 'Chosen' had waited for. As Kalad thought about the brother standing guard next to him he had to supress his laughter as he remembered how the youngster had been recruited. Who would have thought that a meek and sniveling child that had soiled himself would one day stand with us in midnight clad?

That Derethan still drew breath was a minor miracle in itself as Rashek had merely spared the crying boy on a whim. Afterall, most Astartes whether they were the thin-blood chapters or Legion warbands chose their recruits from the firecest and strongest youths and would barely have bothered to wet their blades with his blood. He had been tested though and found exceptional so Camon had devoted extra attention to his training and indoctrination and been the one suggesting him to his squad brothers, Derethan had not been found wanting. While he had served for less than a decade he had proven himself equal to his new brothers and was as a natural part of the squad as any of them. If more of their prospective recruits followed in his footsteps the future of the 'Mongrels' might herald the return of those past days for which it's veterans longed.

As distracting as such daydreaming might be it could not overcome Kalad's boredom for long and he sighed bitterly, those heavy doors would not even let them have the Inqusitor's scream as amusements. Knowing the Captain we'll be standing here for days on end while the other 'claws' hunt.

And here we have the two guards, Derethan to the left and Kalad to the right

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/FirstClaw18_zps21ad383b.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/FirstClaw20_zps05844a69.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/FirstClaw19_zps910f46b5.jpg

C&C is always welcome of course

Glad you liked them mate! First time I've heard that monkey balls rock but I guess it makes sense since the monkeys probably enjoys them :wink:

I try to make the fluff 'realistic', in the sense that while I might be a fan of fairly puritan Night Lords I know it would be fairly stale and probably boring to people if all of the 33rd thought the same. It's pretty obvious that there should be tensions and different ideologies in a warband such as this, especially as the whole legion is so divided. The background to all of this will (hopefully) be expanded a bit when I finish the Captain and try to explain why he acts the way he do. When it comes to the music... well I'm a fan of metal music and try to find something to fit each update (either when it comes to mood or lyrics) :cool.: \m/

Nothing new to report when it comes to painting or modelling but I did get a little pack of goodies from GW today...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/SAM_0295_zps84457096.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/SAM_0296_zps61e4e45b.jpg

Don't worry about those oversized batwings on the helmets, I won't use them the way they are. If I use any of those helmets there are going to be some major conversions made first... :wink:

Don't worry about those oversized batwings on the helmets, I won't use them the way they are. If I use any of those helmets there are going to be some major conversions made first... :wink:

That's a relief, lol. Giant batwing helmets was the worst thing to ever happen to the Night Lords.

That's a relief, lol. Giant batwing helmets was the worst thing to ever happen to the Night Lords.

absolutely, but if you cut the wings and smooth it, you get some evil looking helmets and the wings can be used as decoration for backpacks or even vehicles :cool.:

Cheers mates!  Thanks for the comments and responses!

Rock'n Fluff D&K rock.

Glad you liked these aswell deathspectersgt7! Their fluff was a little tricky getting right but

I found Yomen's singing to be some of the most enjoyable fluff I have read in a long time.

That's mighty fine praise, glad you enjoyed it! I tried to put some little piece of humanity into him that way and got the inspiration from how Octavia thinks of Talos in ADB's trilogy: 'a child, grown into a god's body without a man's comprehension of humanity'. Those lullabies was the best idea I came up with to illustrate that.

absolutely, but if you cut the wings and smooth it, you get some evil looking helmets and the wings can be used as decoration for backpacks or even vehicles :cool.:

I mostly bought the Night Lord upgrades for the shoulder pads but I've been experimenting a bit with a couple of the heads. Mostly by getting rid of the wings (the helmets look pretty sweet without them) but I have tried to make some 'cermonial wings" in their stead aswell. I have an example here below, just a test but it looks fairly promising...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/SAM_0300_zpsd179ad5f.jpg

I've also started on my Captain even though painting him will take some time I guess...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/SAM_0297_zps24993787.jpg

I'll see if I can get any decent wip-pictures of him along the way aswell.

I think the wings might look great attached to the back of the rim around the neck rather than the head itself.

yeah, i second that, maybe "folded" back a bit

I think the wings might look great attached to the back of the rim around the neck rather than the head itself.

Btw, I meant this more in general rather than in your specific case, the smaller ones you are using MrBear, look like they are working fine.

Btw, I meant this more in general rather than in your specific case, the smaller ones you are using MrBear, look like they are working fine.

yeah, i second that, maybe "folded" back a bit

A nice idea guys! :thumbsup:  That's something I will have to experiment with, it could look mighty cool I think.  I discovered one problem with the smaller wings though, or rather the way I placed them. A marine with the wings in the way of my first try wouldn't be able to turn his head... :blush.: So the experiments will continue, after I have finished the captain and placed an FW order for some more parts for Second Claw  that is.

I'm loving the fluff and the mix of loyalists parts. They're the right amount of chaos. Will the captain look Sevatar like with the winged helmet?

Thanks jimbo! Glad you liked them. I try to make them 'proper' renegades, more chaos MARINES than CHAOS marines if you get my meaning :wink:

The captain won't be getting any wings though, I was considering it but it doesn't really fit with my ideas on his background. Like 'Primus Pilus/First Claw' he's a veteran from the time before they became the Night Lords so that's a piece of legion iconography he's a bit unlikely to have adopted.

Normally there arn't that many wip-pictures in this blog, mainly because my painting habits are a bit... 'erratic' so most of the time there isn't very much to show. But since Augustus was 'nagging' me ( I hope you're happy now buddy :wink: ) about more such pictures a couple of weeks ago I thought that I'd try to take some picture along the way as I work on the Captain, so here he is in his present state:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/SAM_0302_zps343346ca.jpg

Obviously not the best of pictures and still a lot of work to be done with... pretty much everything but at least it's proof of some progress with the head honcho of the 33rd

Gotcha. The fluff is spot on, I like hearing the Terran style overview. They never usually receive much love in the 8th legion fluff.

There will probably be some kind of official GW/BL-publication sometime along the way that turns the 'facts' I make up regarding these guys obsolete, but I'll have fun trying to come up with new things as long as I can. :biggrin.:

No painting progress to report but happy news anyway, one of my mates managed to bring my computer back to life again so the chance of a new wip-picture in a couple of days is quite good. :biggrin.:

Great stuff, MrBear! Those vampire counts winged helmet wings looks pretty cool. Gotta give them a try myself sometime. :thumbsup:

Thanks mate! Don't do the same mistake as I did though, a marine that can't move his head looks a little bit silly :wink:

The Captaain is coming along nicely.

Thanks deathspecter! Hopefully some more to be seen in a couple of days if life is kind to me

MUST READ YO FLUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Already working on some more for the captain, also very glad that what I had already had written wasn't lost in a computer crash :biggrin.:

he's coming along greatly, looking forward to more!

Thanks Wicced! As they say... 'Stay tuned' :wink:

Archived