Bannockburn's hobby projects - 5th Company, DW, and more

Go to solution Solved by Cpt. Bannockburn,

U5VqHuG.jpg

I primed and basepainted the green today for these three guys and the ten intercessors. 

I also gave the THawk a coat of gloss varnish to prep it for an oil color pin wash (probably sometime the week after next). 

Furthermore I experimented with the clear plastic sheet I got, and I see cockpit window panes sometime in the future once I figured out how to cut it without breaking. or splintering at the edges.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a bit silent in the last weeks, but I made some progress. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but progress still. I am currently finishing up the last base colour, and after that shading and detail work, before experimentation with heavy weathering for this intercessor squad:

Upm0YXC.jpg

I have also received my order of a 10 man infiltrator squad, which I will probably start building next week or the week after, but latest during my vacation, if our new puppy lets me.

Got some work done today, I present some before and after pictures:

With and without weathering:

0OiEuWn.jpg

And with and without streaking grime.

kQwCL1b.jpg

Enamel colours are nerve wracking - first you finish up everything, then you slop a big gloop of brackish green over the whole miniature. But revealing it again with a q-tip is very satisfying. 

Beside the inherent unkindness of zooming, it does pull everything together, though. I probably won't do that for the whole army, but at least the coming infiltrators will get the same treatment.

These intercessor will be based tomorrow evening and then I'll take some more pictures on Sunday.

Finishing them up means that I only have 13 marines to go for the 5th company: 10 infiltrators (which are already in my drawer and waiting to be built) and 3 more plasma inceptors (not yet bought). 

I will probably start building the infiltrators next week, but since the next two weeks will be very busy it will be some time yet before I can start painting them.

Thank you, it was an experiment, and I think I'll repeat it, at least for the infiltrators. It also gives me something to work from when I start weathering the Thunderhawk.

I have very little free time this and the next week, but I managed to get started on the infiltrators. I prepped the bases and built three. They've got a bit less chest plate design, so I decided to fully build them, which should cut down a bit on time needed for priming and painting.

I hope to be able to prime the week after next, but since our puppy arrives soon, I will have to see how that goes.

• 3 weeks later...

These guys are now on my table:

E9EaoH1.jpg

I've not made a lot of progress since I also have someone under the table.

XxkkbQ3.jpg

However, I might be able to prime and basecoat them today or tomorrow, weather and time permitting.

• 1 month later...

Took a good long while, but I finally got them (almost) done:

U8OQiMX.jpg

They just need a coat of varnish, a few pigments and snow on the bases.

This means I only need 3 more plasma inceptors to finish up the company. I'm getting excited. Before I order them, I'll probably finish up a Talonmaster.

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn

The infiltrators are done (although pics will have to wait for better light), and I ordered the final four infantry models for my 5th company: 3 Inceptors, and a Primaris Techmarine.

In the meantime, I've finished something that has been in my painting box for a good 13 years: the multi-melta from Assault on Black Reach, to kit out my dreadnought for an upcoming crusade game. Apologies for the blurry picture, the light is terrible in the evening.

B8p8fUc.jpg

And I've gone back to my Talonmaster (who began life as Sammael in Sableclaw). It's pretty much ready for the tabletop, but I will be painting the details a bit better as befits a character model. You can see on the lower right how I will deal with highlighting the black, and it's practice for the Lion himself.

MTHbZIX.jpg

The one thing I'm still undecided about is how to paint the sword. I want it to be a Heavenfall Blade, but I am currently a bit unsure about how to paint obsidian. Any tips or recipes that someone may be able to offer?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've ordered a Dark Angels Relic Contemptor after Christmas and it's on its way to me. Unfortunately, my last 3 Inceptors and the Techmarine are still taking their sweet time.

In the meantime, I've begun painting an Age of Sigmar Stormcast dragon army, so the updates here might become a bit sporadic again in the nearer future.

hDnsSpO.jpg

UpcCAzV.jpg