[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

What about a drop pod list with 10man support squads of melta, if you know you're going up against them?

They have to pick where they point their ion shields at start of game/start of their turn (depending who goes first)  Drop pod in on the other side of that, (can you combat squad in 30k? if so do that)  then sit there and melta their hides!

2 knights? Take 2 pods, 3 to be sure ;)  

Anybody used the Onslaught detachment with the Hammer of Olympia RoW? 5 heavy supports slots is nothing to take lightly.

Hmm If you could take more than 0-1 Artillery Squads I think you could make a pretty devastating Siege List.

AS is, what would you use the 5 HS Slots for?

Apart from the awesomeness that is 15 Predators, it simply allows you to take anything you need. Normally it's like, "I'll take a Predator squadron, a Spartan and some Havocs. Or maybe a Sicaran. Oooh! I really want an Artillery squadron. Damn, this is hard." You get to go nuts. :)

And don't forget an Allied Detachment with Hammer of Olympia allows 5 too.

After making a couple of lists, I understand why you guys are bitching, 3 troops minimum is annoying as hell for 2000 point games.

I do like the RoW, it just needs to be used in the Onslaught detachment.

Well, the RoW + Onslaught really only comes into its own at 3k+ where you can actually field tons of stuff.

Yeah, fair points. I often forget people play 30k vs 40k armies a lot too.

"The Hammer of Olympia" could work well as an Allied Detachment - need a Warsmith HQ and 2 compulsory Troops, but you get 2 Heavy Support...

I like your train of though. Sadly, one of the problems with the IW ROW is that you need an additional troops choice. Troops are some of the most expensive (for what they do) units, so being forced to take another one to unlock a 4th Heavy Support choice isn't really a fair trade. By itself it would be ok, but you also need to take a Warpsmith- an HQ that costs a lot and comes with drawbacks that don't make up for his perks. Then consider the IW's legion rules that let your opponent end the game if they want... suddenly your paying a lot to get a single extra heavy support option.

Onslaught is an all around better way to go. You only need a single troops option (which is huge) and a guaranteed second turn can be good if you build your army around it.

After making a couple of lists, I understand why you guys are bitching, 3 troops minimum is annoying as hell for 2000 point games.

I do like the RoW, it just needs to be used in the Onslaught detachment.

Yeah, I play mostly at 1500-1850 points and it's really hard to make it worth it.

Who knew you'd have check with your opponent, I had no idea.

I proxied Iron Warriors for a few games and I don't see the issue with Warsmiths, yes on paper giving two victory points sounds bad but having a Cortex Controller for a Praetor outweighs that.

I was very impressed by the Seige Terminators, amazing unit for the price.

• 3 weeks later...

I like your train of though. Sadly, one of the problems with the IW ROW is that you need an additional troops choice. Troops are some of the most expensive (for what they do) units, so being forced to take another one to unlock a 4th Heavy Support choice isn't really a fair trade. By itself it would be ok, but you also need to take a Warpsmith- an HQ that costs a lot and comes with drawbacks that don't make up for his perks. Then consider the IW's legion rules that let your opponent end the game if they want... suddenly your paying a lot to get a single extra heavy support option.

I think it depends on how much points you use and on how you play.

If you use the CAD from the core rules and play Maelstrom where every unit is scoring, then you don't need three Troop choices.

But If you play AoD and the missions from Betrayel, then your only scoring units are Terminators and your Troop choices. I think that makes a huge difference wether you need three Troops or not.

Yes, they score too. But they don't give an additional Heavy Support slot ;)

And it is questionable if you want to use Veterans or seekers for babysitting. I think they're way to expansive for that job and I might add that I won't use Seekers at all because that is a crappy overprized unit. If I want to shoot stuff I take my Medusas, Tyrants or Sicarans and not some Nerds with fancy Bolters.

When I make a list the Heavy Support is the first section which is full. Getting a fourth one is just plain awesome. That could be another Sicaran or another Scorpion. As I meantioned before I don't think that a Tactical Squad is useless. They allways do important stuff for me and are a reliable unit for holding objectives because you have to kill them all, if you want to remove them.

Or beat them with a stikk in CC, I have to admit :D

Yeah, a Warsmith has his disadvantages but he is stubborn, which is kind of nice. Getting free additional armour for your tanks is... hey, it's for free so I'm cool with that as well. Nice for Rhinos. To expansive to buy it, but for free I'll take it.

• 2 months later...

Hello, sons of the IVth!

I have an idea in my head for a loyalist Iron Warriors list that's based around the idea of steadily advancing footsloggers, i.e. I want every unit (except those that can't - Iron Havocs etc.) to be able to move and shoot with reasonable efficiency every turn.

I'm thinking this will likely be a Pride list with at least one squad of Siege Tyrants as a troop choice, simply because the firepower they can bring is worth bringing. I'm also considering bringing in some Mechanicum, either as allies or via a Forgelord/Praevian.

Therefore - Units I'm thinking for a 2-3K list

Praetor in Terminator armour to go with a Termie squad/unlock Pride of the Legion 

Possible Forgelord/Praevian for Mechanicum goodies!

Siege Tyrants x 10

Tartaros or non-Cataphractii Terminator squad x 5-10 (because I have spare Tartaros Termies lying around looking for something to do)

Tac Squad x 10 in Rhino

Tac Support Squad with Plasma x 5-7 in Rhino

Contemptor Talon x 3 kitted for various forms of tank hunting

Iron Havocs with Missile Launchers and Lascannons (probably - again, I have spare bits to do this) x 5-7

Sicaran

Deredeo with Plasma/Aiolos

I'd park the Havocs and Deredeo, as well as possibly one of the Contemptors and maybe even the Siege Tyrants depending on terrain/opponents deployment, in my deployment zone. Everything else gets to move and shoot at whatever targets are best to be shot at. I'm not sure what to bring in in terms of Mechanicum units. Vorax could be good for the CC punch, but getting them there might be an issue if they're tied to the Praevian.

Does this even look at all viable as a concept? Happy to change it around to add in more infantry or more of whatever I don't have and need, but really want to stick to the footslogger idea, because I've got my mechanised/rapid response Iron Hands and my backline, unmovable defenders-Imperial Fists already sorted, and I want something in the middle!

Any help or suggestions you can offer in terms of solidifying this list would be greatly appreciated!

Tyrants don't count for Pride of the Legion RoW. Look the faq on FW.

If you want to do this just take two units of Terminator Squats. The thing is that Terminators seldom do something really important. They are to underarmed to be a real threat to anything.

Secondly I would not take TSS with Plasma Guns. Way to expensive. Trust me, I have one of those units. ;)

Tyrants don't count for Pride of the Legion RoW. Look the faq on FW.

Read the Pride of the Legion rules in the Red Book. All Elite-choice Terminators are Troops. Not Deathshroud (which are HQ) or Grave Wardens & Fulmentarus (which are both Heavy Support). Tyrants are Elites.

He's referring to the old Betrayal FAQ. It has an entry stating Legion specific Terminators only work with PotL if it says so specifically in the Terminator's entry. Another one of those "updates" that didn't carry over to the current red book... So as it stands it's up to your group if Tyrants work with PotL, that old shtick

Which was why I mentioned the Red Book. It's very clear. Betrayal rules are outdated, so it goes to say that any Betrayal FAQs that were addressed in the Red Book, like PotL, are also outdated.

Fingers crossed for a tight rules update in the 2nd Edition Red Books! :)