My Sisters (Order of the Vermilion Veil)

tvih

Regarding models weapon optionsd - i'm really annoyed that seraphim superior may replace ONLY ONE bolt pistol with plasma pistol.

Games Workshop wants us to field an army of genderbent Cypher the Fallen Angels?

At least our angels have the "Fly" keyword lol:wink:

I was looking at my painted models again. Meh. I just can't seem to be happy with the white+red cloth with the silvery armor. What a drag. I'm still not sure if it's the relative lack of contrast compared to white/red on black, but seems likely.

The silver itself is fine, it already is nuln-washed and can have details done with other metallics to further accentuate it. It's the cloth that is the problem. Yet I'm not keen on switching to a different scheme, as I prefer to roll with official ones and this together with Ebon Chalice were my favorites (and Ebon Chalice is too similar to my Templars).

Or maybe I just need to stop fussing and just try to get my armies painted even if it isn't exactly as I'd like it.

Edited by tvih

• 7 months later...

Yesterday had my first battle with Sisters in 8th edition. Well, it was a mixed list with Sisters, Steel Legion and Crimson Fists each having their own detachment, but Sisters were the biggest in points as well as having the Warlord - had Celestine, which was a first for me as well.

I was fighting against an Eldar/Harlequin tournament list so it was a foregone conclusion from the start, but as upsides I did kill their Flyer and a few other things (Celestine whacked a Venom before dying to a bunch of nasties), managed to complete 3 tactical objectives, and especially actually remembered to use Acts of Faith - I'm not sure if I've ever actually remembered to use them before. Not that they amounted to much with my limited number of units and being overrun so fast. 2

• 3 weeks later...

No new matches but it seems my Sisters army is getting decimated nonetheless! Since the match I've ended up selling about 20 models and have about a dozen more I'm trying to sell. Not trying to get rid of Sisters entirely, but just making some room for some plastic models. How many plastic models, that remains to be seen. I had just enough models to make a 2000pt brigade, but it wasn't really a well thought-out list in that it would've probably died horribly. When the new codex and models finally arrive, I'll have to see if I'll even strive for a standalone army or make do with allies.

Still undecided about upgrading to the plastic Celestine, too, although since I sold a batch of five Seraphim (wasn't really planning on it since they were mostly plainted, but got a quite decent offer even with two backpacks missing) I no longer have two models to represent the Geminae, only one. So it's either use just the one, use a plastic one as the second when the new Seraphim get released, or get the current Celestine kit. Aside from the new one's cost, the old Celestine's just so much easier to transport. Then again I'd need to rebase her on something bigger - probably 40mm - so that she'd stay upright if I attach the heavy cloak. It'd be an easier decision if the Triumvirate box was still available. I'm kicking myself for not getting it when it was. So much better value for money considering the nice Inquisitor, and then you basically got Cawl for free on top compared to separately buying the other two.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated force roster after selling some of the models:

-

1 Celestine
3 canoness
2 combi-flamer canoness (one converted to combi-melta)
1 ministorum priest with plasma pistol
1 ministorum priest with plasma gun
1 ministorum priest with power maul (Kyrinov)

1 hospitaller

1 imagifier

1 mistress repentia
10 repentia
1 seraphim superior with power sword and plasma pistol
1 seraphim superior with power sword
2 seraphim with hand flamers
2 seraphim

3 superior with power maul
2 superior with plasma pistol
1 superior with bolter
1 superior with power sword

1 blessed banner (I guess she's out of a job these days)
4 flamer
2 melta
2 storm bolter

19 bolters

4 heavy bolter
1 heavy flamer
2 multi-melta
3 retributor bodies with no weapons

2 Immolators
1 Exorcist
0-2 Rhinos

-

Looks like I'm still able to field two battalion detachments for a total of 2k points if factoring in the Rhinos - I'm still not sure if those Rhinos will be for Sisters or someone else. And I may still sell some more of the infantry, we shall see. Currently it doesn't make for a particularly good list, regardless. Very little that can deal with heavy armor and the like since my age-old melta shortage weighs heavily upon me still. It'll be interesting to see what the beta codex will bring with it. Cheaper Immolators/Rhinos and better Exorcists, I hope. And once we get to see all the "Order tactics" I can see if I'll stick with fully Argent Shroud or also do something else. Although the main reason I'm contemplating something else that I'm still so unhappy with how my Argent Shroud vehicles look like. Then again my marines and guard are already split into two factions, which get messy when assembling detachments.

-

Also I played a second game with my haphazard CF+IG+SoB list a week ago. I was supposed to play with orks but didn't quite get them ready (heck, they still aren't) and so splurged for the list that I had mostly packed already. Although compared to last time I dropped Celestine and the second Immolator in order to fit in a Stormraven that I had just reassembled. That made Sisters the smallest detachment here I think, but you'll see why I'm putting this write-up here, if you bother to read it that is :tongue.:

gallery_68041_14905_193123.jpg

The short of it is that it didn't pan out so well, especially the minor list change. I lost the match 3-8 or so, in one part because of how much luck the opponent had with his invulnerability saves and on the other with how poorly I rolled at times.

To start with, my Stormraven failed to hit with both multi-melta shots and both lascannon shots against his carnifexes. Hurricane bolters killed a few gaunts, and a missile did hit/wound one of the carnifexes I think. But that was it, and in his turn the opponent blew the plane up. Points well spent! Although ironically as it crashed and burned, it damaged two of his Carnifexes with that.

The Chimera on my right flank along with its passengers failed to kill the enemy gaunts because while I caused a good 15 wounds in the second turn, they saved all but two with their 5++. Figures. Which in turn lead to the entire infantry squad being slaughtered in melee, and soon after the Chimera as well.

My Seraphim and one five-woman battle sister squad finally killed all the gaunts on the right flank, the last four of them with overwatch since I had two models with hand flamers. Nice. But the battle sisters did perish in the effort and had the Guard units survived, I could've gotten an additional two victory points from the objective that was there. A broodlord killed my remaining Seraphims a bit later.

In the middle my Sisters fought some of the Carnifexes together with the terminators that had been in the Stormraven (a Librarian was too, but it got charged to death on turn 1). Except the Sisters were left to do all the damage. The terminators got to do a total of 12 thunder hammer attacks before their demise, but missed every single one of them. The curse of the Stormraven all over again! The Sisters - a squad of five plus Canoness and Imagifier - managed to kill one wounded Carnifex (I think my Immolator's multi-melta hit it before as well as the crash damage?) with a lucky melta overwatch shot, a second wounded one (from the Stormraven missile and/or crash?) was killed with melee - Imagifier bonked him on the head with her pole thingy to take off the last wound - but the third proved too much especially as a Broodlord joined it. Frickin' Broodlords.

Speaking of Broodlords, there were three of them. My tactical terminators deep striked in behind the enemy lines on turn 2, shot at and managed to - after a CP reroll - to charge and kill one, earning a victory point. They were then promptly shot off the table. Terminators really are so great and durable in this edition...

The tyranid monster with the massive cannon thingy that was mostly responsible for killing my Stormraven also killed my Immolator in one shot in turn 2. On the left flank I had a venerable autocannon dreadnought and a Leman Russ Punisher. The Punisher whacked a couple of small gaunt units there, but the venerable didn't do much overall since I rolled terribly. When all the Sisters had perished all that I had left were those two, and both were damaged. Something had killed the Armored Sentinel in the middle as well. The Punisher and dread did manage to kill off the remaining carnifex. By next turn probably would've killed the closer Broodlord, but we called it after 4 rounds as aside from killing the Broodlord and perhaps possibly a few remaining gaunts (the ones that had killed my Chimera and the Lord Commissar inside) there was little I could've done, and nothing that would've given me any Victory Points.

Overall, my marines were completely gimped by my atrocious rolls and the Guard were gimped by the opponent's crazy saving throws... but unlike in every novel with Sisters in it, at least here they gave a decent account of themselves on average, especially the Seraphim. In the end I think the opponent was left with the two slightly wounded Broodlords, uninjured Old One Eye, the cannon monster, the burrowing monster (at the bottom in the pic below) and maybe 4 gaunts. Given some of the unfavorable rolling, I guess it could've gone worse.

gallery_68041_14905_137373.jpg

Next time I bring the Sisters to the table I hope to have a more solid list overall. I need to paint a third battle sister squad to be able to fill a battalion before the next match, but as pondered above might need to wait for the CA before I do to decide on paint scheme. In this match I had only 4 CP total, which shows just how ridiculous the list was.

Ugh, end of longest post ever.

Edited by tvih

• 6 months later...

I FINALLY got around to painting the third squad to fill up the battalion. Well, still needs finishing touches and whatnot, but regardless soon usable. I'm planning on taking a nearly 50/50 split of Sisters and Guard when I play next time, hopefully within the week (it's been months from the previous game again, last three games having been with orks). I'll still only have 9 CP since it'll be Battalion + Spearhead as my Guard is suffering from the lack of painted troops as well, but definitely an improvement compared to the above list.

• 3 months later...

Only took all summer and then some but finally Amalia is more or less done:

med_gallery_68041_15835_280048.jpg

Flash lighting and backfocusing lens aren't doing it any favors, but it is what it is. Still haven't gotten around to playing since May either.

Edited by tvih

Regarding models weapon optionsd - i'm really annoyed that seraphim superior may replace ONLY ONE bolt pistol with plasma pistol.

Games Workshop wants us to field an army of genderbent Cypher the Fallen Angels?

You mean like this?

https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/space-warrior-cypheria-the-fallen/

• 5 weeks later...

I was contemplating the bases of my Sisters again. Last year I bought enough 32mm bases to rebase all my old marines, Sisters and even Orks. However while that's mostly easy to do for the marines and Orks since they're mostly plastic, the Sisters are a trickier prospect. The bases are MDF, and they're not slotted; and I don't have enough plastic 32mm bases to cut slots into. Cutting and filing the "tabs" off every darn Sister to put them on a regular base and then hope their tiny feet can hold them in place considering their weight... ugh. Just no. However putting the slotted 25mm bases on top of the 32mm ones just looks stupid. May have to buy slotted 32mm bases but that's more money that I don't have right now.

I really should get more models ready by the time the Codex launches. But as usual Orks, Guard and Marines are all also screaming for attention and I have no energy. Guard and Sisters are of course the most taxing to work on due to being metal. Jeez, I hate metal. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really wish they had changed Guard and Sisters models over to resin.

Oh... actually I did finally finish up Amalia's scenic base last week. Didn't grab a new pic of it yet though. I still kinda wish they had just made the scenic base itself be the base, since it's nearly as big as one anyway, and would look nice while not making the miniature tower so much over everyone else.

Edited by tvih

Nah, it's not for me. Even at best it makes everyone look like they're all standing on mounds or such while making them look taller than oldmarines. I mean it's only £20 for 100 slotted bases, so messing around with dual bases and whatnot isn't particularly attractive even while broke. Just wish I hadn't bought the MDF ones for the same purpose already, even if they were even cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than clog up the BSB speculation topic with off-topic, I'll continue this here... tank paint scheme again. As mentioned there as well as earlier in this thread I'm not really happy with my Argent Shroud tanks, and the new awesome tank models would really suffer from this. I like my infantry well enough, but the vehicles not so much. The flat silver just looks... off, and boring. I've tried using Nuln for the recesses, without much luck. Mostly it looks like badly done grime, not shading.

Originally I went with Argent Shroud for a few reasons - they were feature in Helsreach alongside Black Templars, they weren't black like my Templars and even my Orks ended up being (with Crimson Fists being dark enough to look nearly black), and also because the black on metal minis was a pain, it sometimes rubbing off and the silver beneath becoming visible regardless of basecoat or varnish. Now with the plastics the latter wouldn't be a problem. If not for the separate Order rules, I might just give in to the blackness and do the new stuff with a black scheme. But I'm already suffering with my marines regarding this two-chapter syndrome, essentially ending up with two near-identical armies with all too much money spent and all too much headache about fielding them. Repainting all current AS models on the other hand isn't appealing either.

On my Guard tanks I use heavy drybrushing to get the finished color over a black base without it being too uniform. On Orks it's black base with a light metal drybrush. I've contemplated trying the latter just with a much heavier metal application for the AS tanks, but I feel it'd probably not be "silver enough" in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

More and more I'm coming to realize I really underestimated what the quality of models for this release would be. Not that the metal models are suddenly bad, but the plastics really are next-level, including the vehicles. Easily the best-looking 40k army now.

Given how it has been for everyone else, I suppose we'll end up with C:AS also having some rules that make playing two Orders at once suboptimal. If that wasn't the case, I'd just keep the current stuff I've painted as Argent Shroud, and start the plastics with a different scheme. I have nearly 2000 points of metals + vehicles still I think, and selling them would be futile given the nonexistent monetary value (last time I tried, like 1€/figure)... but with the plastics arriving my motivation to paint metal figs is even lower than before. So the metals wouldn't really be making a 2k list on their own, in fact what's painted and painting a further half-dozen figures (mainly my HB retributors) to round it out it's more like 900 points + Celestine. Hardly a great standalone force.

I guess if I do end up painting plastics differently the most reasonable solution will be to just run them all as the Order regardless of paint schemes. It's not like I'll have enough plastics to make a 2k list - or even 1k - with any time soon anyway.

Oh look, finally a HB retributor! And she has an eye! With a pupil! :eek:

gallery_68041_15835_113112.jpg

Now I just need to clone her three times to get a functional retributor squad at last. Imagine paying almost 40€ for 4 heavy bolters almost 7 years ago and then not even painting them. Pfft. Makes the army set's price not seem so bad by comparison.

Edited by tvih