WarriorFish's AdMech and Knight House Blog

WarriorFish

Thanks Kurama, she's coming along well albeit slowly. My evenings are pretty busy at the moment unfortunately so I'm left pinching time over the weekends. I should get a good chunk of time this Sunday so I'm planning on getting some colour on :D

What's this maintenance bay thing? The lighting was a lot of work, I can't pretend otherwise but it was worth it in the end. LEDs would be perfect for the larger eye pieces but I wanted to do all four and play with colours... plus I didn't really know what I was doing as this is my first bit of lighting :P

I've documented my progress here in fair detail but if you have any questions let me know and I might be able to help :)

I'll check it out when I'm done :smile.: After today's progress that doesn't feel too far away now, though I doubt I'll get any time next week to paint :sad.:

I've approached her haphazardly so the progress isn't consistent but that has helped me cement the colour scheme so it worked out :smile.:

gallery_30308_12009_15029.jpg

As an example the carapace only has one coat of Eshin Grey, the grey shoulder pad needs the metal/scroll and the red pad only needs the purity seals before its done!

gallery_30308_12009_10039.jpg

Here's a shot of the gun housing, coming along well too :smile.:

gallery_30308_12009_25015.jpg

I do have some last bits on their way, but if they'll work and what they'll do will remain a secret until she's finished :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Only a little unfortunately, I've been busy so I've finished the Eshin Grey on the carapace but that's all. I should have the weekend free to play catch up :) I did get the last of my extras yesterday, the first was sadly not what I wanted but I reckon I can work with what I've got :)

• 2 weeks later...

Working on my Knight and the bronze is taking a while as there's quite a bit of it and being edging needs a bit of attention. Should only need another coat to be finished though :) During my painting I've been musing on the reaper chainsword. I've only got the bronze going so far:

gallery_30308_12009_1713.jpg

I was going to paint it Eshin Grey to match the main body, but perhaps the blade part could be different? I was thinking Rakarth and maybe a red stripe or two, would this be too different/stand out?

Oh, if anyone's interested the Marine has since found his way back to his brothers :P

Back again with another question! I'm going with a quartered heraldic approach on one of the face plates and have two colours:

gallery_30308_12009_2664.jpg

I'm thinking one of these colours needs to be done in an opposite quarter so it doesn't suffer from too many different colours but I'm not sure which one or what colour to put in the last quarter? I have used some white and green a little elsewhere for heraldic purposes so perhaps one of them or the Eshin Grey? Any ideas would be appreciated :smile.:

Solid progress made today, especially on the legs:

gallery_30308_12009_21084.jpg

Touches up on the bronze in a few places and a wash and that will be a lot done! The arms are where most of the work resides other than the base/feet of course, I may prime them tomorrow along with a few other bits...

Back again with another question! I'm going with a quartered heraldic approach on one of the face plates and have two colours:

gallery_30308_12009_2664.jpg

I'm thinking one of these colours needs to be done in an opposite quarter so it doesn't suffer from too many different colours but I'm not sure which one or what colour to put in the last quarter? I have used some white and green a little elsewhere for heraldic purposes so perhaps one of them or the Eshin Grey? Any ideas would be appreciated :smile.:

I would have put the two catacorner from one another the darker grey (green?) And then the red and white the other two corners ... so switch the white with the bottom left grey green (color hard to determine in this pic for me)

Hidden Content

I'll check it out when I'm done :smile.: After today's progress that doesn't feel too far away now, though I doubt I'll get any time next week to paint :sad.:

I've approached her haphazardly so the progress isn't consistent but that has helped me cement the colour scheme so it worked out :smile.:

gallery_30308_12009_15029.jpg

As an example the carapace only has one coat of Eshin Grey, the grey shoulder pad needs the metal/scroll and the red pad only needs the purity seals before its done!

gallery_30308_12009_10039.jpg

Here's a shot of the gun housing, coming along well too :smile.:

gallery_30308_12009_25015.jpg

I do have some last bits on their way, but if they'll work and what they'll do will remain a secret until she's finished :wink:

Your color scheme is close to one I have been considering. We had talked about it earlier. Sort of the classic battleship color scheme. Ie, 2 tones of grey.

I like it. It may help me make up my mind. Mine won't be the same as this, but seeing greys work for the main plates is good... my details will be different. Might look thru some old battle ship books for detail colors and the pennants and such for inspiration. That would be cool. And seeing knights and titans as walking battleships isn't a bad thing.

Thanks Canadian, the top colours are Rakarth Flesh for a cream and Wazdakka Red - the bottom two are still primed black. I'm thinking of maybe two Rakarths and the green, as a sort of "white" should help balance the others - I'll sleep on it and see what I think tomorrow :)

The colour scheme has a strong inspiration - there are a few clues already that those who know of the reference should get if they look ;) I wasn't quite sure how I'd execute the colours other than a general idea but I think it turned out nicely so I hope it helps you devise your paint scheme :)

It was bad lighting yes, light was fading at that point. Speaking of which not much light now :confused: I'll be settling back into painting this afternoon but in between the various tasks of the morning I finished this piece of cross-army fluff:

Hidden Content
In honour of the 144th's victory the jubilant people of Maynsar IV threw a grand ceremonial party in thanks. Though usually seeing no point in festivities regimental command had agreed to participate, for resupplying to leave would not be complete for a week and while they wouldn't admit it the campaign had been a hard one and it was decided that the soldiers deserved some rest. The officers of the 144th were invited to a VIP party with the planet's nobles, leaving the streets of the cities to the common people and Guardsmen.

Firionel, ever the serious man, would rather be elsewhere but he recognised the importance of such events and as the Lord Commander of the 144th he was the object of their thanks. "Hero" was a term he had no like for, but he was merely buying time for he knew that someone would soon turn up (fashionably late, as usual) that would attract all the attention. The wave of heads turning was the familiar sign that she was moments away. Taking another flute of champagne he held it out, and it was softly taken.
"You are late, I trust all is well?"
"Certainly, my lord, but surely you know that after a battle I have much to attend to?"
"Not least your attire?" Firionel remarked dryly, noting the elegant green and white dress - an extravagance no Arukan would dream of wearing.
"Oh but of course my dear Firionel. See here, does the green not gracefully change hue ever so slightly? And the white, should the light catch it just so, will display a different constellation from Arukan Secundus," she helpfully held her dress out slightly. Firionel recognised the Hunter's Bane formation - the sign of his birth no less.
The nobles clamoured to know who this beauty was with her fiery hair interwoven with hymn and purity seals it was clear she was no native of Arukan.
"This is Lady Calistiria, I have the honour of her aiding me in my duties," Firionel knew that with this his loathsome time in the spotlight was now over.

The evening went smoothly, tributes were made and hearty toasts were raised. Ever diligent in his duty Firionel saw that the day was wound down satisfactorily - keen never to leave any battle unfinished.
"Our thanks can never truly be enough, good sir," a voice interrupted his thoughts; the governor stood smiling and - unusually - alone.
"Then you have said enough, we did our duty for the Emperor and expect nothing more. Thank Him on Terra for sending us in time."
"Kind words indeed, but I will never forget the sight of your soldiers and the mighty Knight holding the city gates against everything the xenos had. I fear it is without exaggeration when I say it was the longest four days of my life! We shall honour this victory with a statue, perhaps, of yourse-?"
"That is most kind, please make it of a Guardsman. It is they who win our wars," Firionel cut him off quickly.
The governor nodded respectfully, perhaps mistaking Firionel's dislike for attention as humility.
"Though truth be told, I would much rather have a statue of the lady Calistiria. Quite where you found such a creature I could not know!" he said, half joking.
"A question I hear often. The truth is I did not find her, she was assigned as my bodyguard."
"I say! I would never have expected it, yet her sublime grace and insight makes it so clear to me now. She must be formidable, I dare say you need fear nothing with her by your side! Even so, it is hard to imagine such a delicate woman in a fight, but I have seen stranger things I am sure," the governor chuckled, finding this only adding to her allure.
"Forgive me governor but you misunderstand. She does not guard me in places such as this, though I know she could do so easily. She instead protects me on the battlefield. I assure you sure is anything but delicate there," Firionel raised his drink slightly.
To this the governor was startled into momentary silence as he realised precisely what role Firionel was talking about.

I'm quite pleased with the progress I have made:

gallery_30308_12009_7306.jpg

Aside from some touching up and details (chiefly purity seals) a lot of the model is about done :) I've figured out how I'll paint the rest so it's just a matter of doing it now - oh and the little extras I've planned of course. I'll have a look at them during the week I hope :tu:

Not a bad day today, feels like I spent time catching up on bits but I just need to remind myself that's because the arms only had a little work done. The upper arms are done now and further metallics have been completed, I've also all but finished the AdMech skull mask as it just needs the metal done:

gallery_30308_12009_96246.jpg

I'm focusing on the reaper chainsword weapon, got the bulk of it done now. Just need to touch up the bronze, apply another bronze and the Leadbelcher and it'll pretty much just need washing :smile.:

gallery_30308_12009_19568.jpg

Rear shot:

gallery_30308_12009_4517.jpg

Really starting to feel like I'm getting close. The base will be quick and simple to do (just need a big brush...) so the only thing that really remains are the extras I've been working on... they will remain a secret however as I've still not decided on how some can be done so I'd rather wait to see if it works before bothering to show anything.

Looks like it's going well :) Having the base done (or at least partly) will suddenly make a big difference in how it looks. Bases and faces make a disproportionate difference to their size compared to the rest of a model and I assume the rule still applies to such a big model ;)

I'm sure it does, I think I'll try to prime the base this week to help rectify that :) Just need to figure out a good colour to highlight Eshin Grey with, I'm not looking for something to stark so maybe a blue rather than grey?

Archived