+ Doom Slayers +

Radiation

Kizzdougs, MrBear: Thanks guys, glad you like the project so far.

Warlord Tarvold: No problem man, it's Astoroths jump pack cut free from its base. I think Frank would fit right in, heh. Thanks.

Dragonlover: I did some greenstuff work on them, so you'll be able to see them better after I get Odysseus painted.

A Kvlt Ghost: "Ultramarines successors gone off the rails." I couldn't say it better myself. I think the BA dex shows this nicely. Glad you saw it.

Olis: Good stuff. Okay, so you got me talking and we have some generalizations about the chapter to build from.

Really these guys are what I see a type of standard successor chapter to be. They are fleet based so no home world, maybe it was lost long ago, none of them really care anymore, a twist on Odysseus' name. They are adrift seeking the next front, the battlefield as symbolic homeland. They recruit as they go and are constantly understrength.

The recruits are all hypno-indoctrinated and thrown into scout squads and into the fray. The chanting and rituals, whats left are still practiced. Maybe there is an issue with it, like there is an issue with many things not working properly within the chapter. I don't want to get specific with it. The idea is all systems are within codex adherence, all systems are suffering from fatigue. Indoctrination is lacking, prayers are skipped, formations are not maintained, recruitment is slipping, history is lost, officers are not being replaced. Yet indoctrination, prayer, formation, records, promotion are still all occurring. It's not a problem if there is a front to attack and it is slowly destroying the chapter from within. Nothing too original here. Warfare and ignorance. Praise the Emperor and gun your chainsword. Charge!

Now back to the Ultramarines. The reason these guys are Ultras is because most chapters are Ultras. Again vanilla is my goal here. When Ward came out with his, all space marines look to the Ultras as the best chapter ever, it pissed a lot of people off. I thought it was funny, the whole situation. It was dead on how the Ultras had been portrayed for a long time, they just came out and said it. Anyways, some people were upset about it.

The Doom Slayers are not a noble or honorable chapter. Maybe they were at some point a long time ago, but now they are just thugs. The only reason they would care about being Ultras is that it gives them a chance to gloat, it gives them license to act in terrible and questionable ways towards their victims. They act this way to provoke violence, maybe even against their allies and cousins if the other is game. But there is ritual and protocol to follow. Blur the line bend the rules, snub someones honor. War.

Being a fleetbased chapter constantly at war, I think of them having a high mortality rate. Most Doom Slayers won't survive a hundred years or so. A generalization. Whatever the fluff is concerning marine mortality rates, knock off a decade or two and there is your Doom Slayers stat. They bring the average down.

So most of these guys probably haven't even met an Ultra, but the older ones like Odysseus, the ones in command hold the Ultramarines in contempt. Just a bunch of parade boys from high families in gold trimmings. The newer recruits would just scoff over their voxes if they saw it. Odysseus wouldn't say a thing to keep his men in line. He doesn't care about honor and nobility any more then his men. Let the boys in blue have their march and let's get to fighting. This doesn't mean the Doom Slayers don't march around and chant themselves, because they do, just like any other loyalist chapter. They're just so full of contempt and hatred that it obscures their own sense of honor and nobility.

Of course, they would hold all the other legions in even further contempt. The Ultras are still the best. If the Wardian codex got one thing right, it was that. The only time the Doom Slayers invoke their heritage is either ritual and prayer, or to elevate themselves in power or for spite. So they don't really see the Ultras in higher regard, but if you have to draw lineage from somewhere, well it's good to draw it from the best. Thug mentality.

The Doom Slayers keep librarians and navigators just like any other codex chapter, and just like other chapters they bothe mistrust and despise the need to keep mutants in their ranks, but they recognize the strategic value of having such assets and use them as standard fluff suggests.

"The Doom Slayers...words and deeds do not alway match. They are not to be trusted, yet they still take bolt and blade to the enemies of mankind, and for some this is enough."

Olis, I think the average Doom Slayer would mockingly approve of this. To go further would potentially invoke their wrath, heh. I hope you don't mind my edit, it is a good line brother. Thanks for being a part of this project. I look forward to anything else you want to add. Thanks man.

I really want to get these guys painted, but if you keep poking and prodding at me, I'm happy to write more. And if you don't like something, debate it. More photos soon. Hazard stripes death company marine for the win next time I post.

Edited by Radiation

I'm glad to help with the process, Radiation

So the name of the game is attrition and contempt. That works just dandy. Hell, even if you do let Librarians into the fold, I think the Marines Malevolent might like your lot (or love to hate them). ^_^

So they're fleet based, possibly with a destroyed/abandoned homeworld in their past, and they continually seek battle (whether for hate or honour, it's anyone's guess I suppose). Do they like to engage in boarding actions? Or are they more partial to ground-based combat? Or, and I suspect this may be the answer, do they not care either way?

A Kvlt Ghost: Oh yeah, the blue recipe is:

Base coat: macragge blue

Wash: badab black, dry. Drakenhof nightshade.

Base coat: macragge blue

Thick highlight layer on edges: altdorf guard blue

Edge highlight: hoeth blue

Second edge highlight: calgar blue

Then I water down the altdorf guard blue while the two edge highlights are still drying and wash blend them a little bit. So I do the edges in one sitting of three steps before the paint fully cures.

Final highlight: fenrisian grey, just where the light might hit the hardest, so very little.

Olis: attrition and contempt. That's the name of the game. I like it. How they choose to engage in combat is something to be explored further. Let me think about it for a bit. For now, I know they fight like codex marines, but are no longer as structured, straying from the codex as they are. They use obscene amounts of combat-drugs, like more then your average chapter. I want this to be one of their traits or themes, part of why they are deteriorating. So they tend to fight with whatever gets them into close combat the fastest, jump packs, storm ravens. Drop pods would work too, I just don't have the cash flow or desire to model and paint a pod list. Maybe when I retire, heh. But, I kind of see them as heading into bezerker realms, without falling to chaos. What's the fluff say about that? How far can these guys go into combat-drugs fueled bezerker mode without khorne showing up and sprouting horns everywhere. I figure they would just get into trouble with more noble imperial elements. Something to think about.

So here we go. Doom Slayers first Death Company marine. These guys are the baddest of the bunch and they get to sport hazard stripes for it. They get the best and most combat-drugs the chapter has to offer.

He is still a work in progress, but he is table ready once i base him. I have a bunch of weathering powder and blood paint, and will get to a point where everyone is covered in filth, but for the moment I want to get through some squads so I can actually play a game this century since I haven't really had an army since second edition.

There's the masking tape method I used to make the hazard stripes. That was a learning process. I will spare the details but the shoulder pad was a disaster. After that it was really easy and kinda fun.

And up next, another DC marine. This time the squad bruiser. All he wants to do is punch you in the face for the Emperor, especially if your the biggest person in the room. Cheers! Thanks for checking it out. Let me know what you think.

Doom Slayers Death Company Space Marine, WIP.

gallery_65363_7458_61537.jpg

Masking tape for hazard stripes.

gallery_65363_7458_26525.jpg

Doom Slayers Death Company Space Marine, WIP.

gallery_65363_7458_65694.jpg

But, I kind of see them as heading into bezerker realms, without falling to chaos. What's the fluff say about that? How far can these guys go into combat-drugs fueled bezerker mode without khorne showing up and sprouting horns everywhere. I figure they would just get into trouble with more noble imperial elements. Something to think about.

The use of combat drugs isn't new or above the station of many Imperial servants - from Templum Assassins to the dregs of Hive society utilise them to boost their performance. Bearing in mind that combat drugs generally have deleterious effects the longer they are used and that space marines have a biology specifically designed to cope with compounds and toxins, I think the drugs would either have to be in a highly concentrated form to work, or simply just dumped large doses into their body to overwhelm the coping mechanisms. 

If you are looking to make pseudo-berserkers, maybe a potent version of Frenzon (which would alter the mental state of the user) would be the order of the day. Granted, space marines have been altered enough in body to not need many particular combat drugs, hence the suggestion of Frenzon as it affects the mind rather than the body.

The danger with Khorne isn't so much acting like berserkers but things like blood rituals and the proximity to raw warp power that would cause issues. The Blood Angels and their successors have long had berserkers the Death Company and they seem to be staying out of Khorne's clutches okay. The consequences of hopped-up astartes on the rampage, however, may very well be something for Imperial authorities (like the Inquisition) to begin thinking something isn't right.

Edit - Also - sweet looking models. That blue is quality and the hazard stripes/chevrons give them a borrowed callousness from the Iron Warriors, I think. :thumbsup:

Edited by Olis

Grizzly_bear: thanks man!

Thanks Olis. I looked at a couple of threads on combat-drugs and space marines. Opinions seem to vary, from all of them use all sorts of drugs all the time as administered by their suits, to space marines use drugs, what!?!

So I don't want this to be like a huge defining thing. Just another part of why the chapter is in decline. Since I'm from the old days and I'm going for that Rogue Trader feel, lets just say the Doom Slayers rely heavily on large amounts of a variety of combat-drugs and angry catechisms. Nothing unheard of but perhaps they are a bit more excessive about it. Maybe the apothecary have found that the chapters preomnor organ, the neutralizer, is no longer functioning as it should and that the Doom Slayers have a weaker tolerance to poison. A beneficial side affect to this is that powerful narcotics and stimulants, such as frenzon and a variety of other combat-drugs have a more potent effect on the chapter brothers.

The brothers of the death company use a highly effective though damaging combination of combat-drugs, even for marine physiology, formulated by the chapter apothecary to increase combat awareness and pain thresholds beyond that of their normal battle-brothers.

It's clobberin' time!

Edited by Radiation

I gotta say I really like the chevrons on the shoulder pad.  Is it what your gonna use to denote death company?  If so you might invoke the ire of the sons of Perturbo.  Some how invoking ire is the last thing your chapter worries about tho :wink: 

I had thought about your Death Company could they be marines that end up addicted to the combat stimulants?  Where physically they are close to baseline Astartes but the addiction has eroded mental capacity to the point that even on the stims they are almost like rabid animals.

Also another thought could the wide spread use of combat stims have an effect on the progenoid glands causing a higher chance of defect either in the glands themselves or in the implantation process for new recruits.  If so this could help explain the slow decline of the Doom Slayers.

Great stuff so far Radiation :thumbsup:  I look forward to seeing more of your models and reading more of your fluff.

Warlord Torvold: I like both those ideas, although I don't know if marines can become addicted to substances. If anything these guys are addicted to nonstop ultraviolence. So how about that instead. But I also want to keep things a bit of a mystery, or rather a lack of information, so others can imagine their own interpretation. So maybe some of these guys are total combat-drug junkies and others have rotting progenoid glands, but others will be fine although psychopathic. Maybe one or two are even bordering on noble, but probably not.

The hazard stripes on the shoulder pad for the DC was the plan, but I'm changing it. Heh. I like the hazard stripes and want to use them throughout the army. I have another idea for marking the squad that will be closer to codex compliance. I have to create a new print file first.

Olis: So it seems like I want to put out a bunch of crazy ideas and then reel them back to codex adherence, or at least close to. I want to change the hazard stripe pad to a black backgound with a white skull. On the skull is the crossed arrows for assault squad designation. So they would function as a veteran assault squad from first company but with non standard color. I don't really know yet, but something to sort out later. I will have the actual design up this weekend.

Alright, I built this maniac this morning. Hundreds of years old he is the oldest living member of the Doom Slayers. He probably has a grey gandolf beard under that beaky helmet. Old and full of spite he strikes from the shadows. Thanks for checking it out! More stuff this weekend hopefully.

Epistolary Voorhees, WIP

gallery_65363_7458_65520.jpg

LordOrdGermany: No way dude, the Doom Slayers are a totally custom DIY chapter made by yours truely! Thanks for the compliment brother, I'm glad you like them. Send me a PM if you really want a pad. Maybe a trade for some forgeworld bits?

Daemonclaw, deathspectersgt7: thanks brothers. I appreciate the comments.

Biohazard: yeah, I was going for that original beaky libby from back in the day. I even gave him the aquila on his armor like the original one had. Thanks man.

Olis: the whole time I was putting the libby together, I was like, what does this remind me of? He's totally got that EC strut going. Heh. His story will be told in time, first I have to paint him.

So I decided to change the DC pad. I'm doing away with the hazard stripes so I can use them throughout the army, so really it means more hazard stripes, just not as formation markings. I got the new DC markings designed and printed. They printed right in the middle and off the side of the decal paper just to show how bad they are. No respect for file setup. Hardcore. I'll try to get one on a the DC bruiser this weekend. Stay tuned!

Doom Slayers DC badge decals

gallery_65363_7458_57119.jpg

• 1 month later...

I caught a bad case of real life intruding on me and lost my job a couple of months ago, and as many of us know it can be difficult to focus on anything remotely enjoyable or creative when that happens. But as is usually the case I found a better job getting paid to drive around town and lift heavy things all day. Just in time for the upcoming ETL.

I happened to buy a few forge world bits just before getting axed from the old job so I'm going to be throwing those into the mix and with my new source of dollar bills will continue to mercilessly throw more money towards the accumulation of older armor bits.

The rough idea here is that the Doom Slayers are not a new chapter or an old chapter, their founding being unknown yet they still have a history. So they have some of the older armor still in existence within the chapter, possibly from their founding or as battlefield salvage from darker periods from their shadowy past. I imagine that the older mark pieces are used to show seniority or combat prowess. Kind of like status or pride. The oldest and/or toughest marines will be in possession of the older marks. There would be tradition and treachery on how they got them, perhaps even blood spilled over who was entitled to a specific piece. The idea that brotherhood within the chapter is strained just like everything else, and that rank and association are built around brute force and coercion as opposed to camaraderie and are partially maintained by this form of status.

Two more DC troops. These guys just want to beat you up and steal your forge world bits. While looped out on combat-drugs. In the name of the Emperor.

Doom Slayers DC, WIP

gallery_65363_7458_6398.jpg

Doom Slayers DC, WIP

gallery_65363_7458_5022.jpg