XIth: Wardens of Light - Destined to be forgotten

MikhalLeNoir
Go to solution Solved by MikhalLeNoir,

I think their are a multitude of ways to go. I wanted that a tleast for a part of the legion the primarchs views are threatening and differ from their worldview..so much, that they kill him.

It's certainly one way to make your legion stand out amongst the rest, don't think I'll do anything as drastic though. How did you come up with the names for the legion?

The legion name? Or the names for the units and such?

Well I love arthurian mythology and as a kid I read a lot of Lawheads Arthur novels. So I thought although the legions culture should resemble siuth east asia and korea i thought names could come from irish, gaelic sources..well nowadays I would use korean names but our project leader of the botl would kill me and Gwal Cha-vad looks strange^^

The legion name? Or the names for the units and such?

Well I love arthurian mythology and as a kid I read a lot of Lawheads Arthur novels. So I thought although the legions culture should resemble siuth east asia and korea i thought names could come from irish, gaelic sources..well nowadays I would use korean names but our project leader of the botl would kill me and Gwal Cha-vad looks strange^^

Both, especially the legion name though. I'll be using Irish for units and such. 

As a former night lord player i wanted to create a total cintrast to their theme. And the contra to their darkness is the light. Light bearers was not possible as well as light bringers because to close to the lightning bearers so i chose wardens of light.

Names for the units: what is their purpose and how would.i name them as english variant, then I checked some gaelic names.and thought those sound cool. I love the sitheadair especially

As a former night lord player i wanted to create a total cintrast to their theme. And the contra to their darkness is the light. Light bearers was not possible as well as light bringers because to close to the lightning bearers so i chose wardens of light.

Names for the units: what is their purpose and how would.i name them as english variant, then I checked some gaelic names.and thought those sound cool. I love the sitheadair especially

That's cool, I never thought of looking at the legion name that way. For unit names I'll be taking ancient mythological creatures for unique units. 

Cool..can't wait to see your approach. Always love the creativity of the community when it comes to the lost legions.

That might be a while yet, I have two very slow WIP threads on the go already. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Take your time, don't rush it. See, this thread is 4 years old, bored close to 100k people, but I still work on the project^^

The new marines have some nice poses, particularly the fellow aiming his bolter over his drawn blade. Good idea casting them in a modular fashion.

That artwork is cracking, the angle of perspective with the Destroyer looming from above really amplifies his dread aspect as an executioner and reaper.

Back with a bang dude! The marine with MkII helmet is my favorite.

BANG!!!

Thx for the kind words. My fav is either the guy with lantern or the guy with the melterbomb.

The new marines have some nice poses, particularly the fellow aiming his bolter over his drawn blade. Good idea casting them in a modular fashion.

That artwork is cracking, the angle of perspective with the Destroyer looming from above really amplifies his dread aspect as an executioner and reaper.

I will forward your words to the artist. And thx^^

Say, when will you visit us in Berlin?

And as promised the painted tower or desth of scorpion from the botl

Sorry for the crude pics

THE FALL

999924-.jpg

999928-.jpg

999927-.jpg

999926-.jpg

999936-.jpg

999929-.jpg

999931-.jpg

999934-.jpg

That really is one heck of a diorama, the tower itself is especially well done.

Berlin is a city I'm always happy to go back to and since Leipzig is only a little way away, it really would be remiss of me not to take the opportunity to visit.

• 4 weeks later...

There was a saying - started in the Excertus, I'm told - that I'd heard but never heeded. Take the Warden out of the Light, you'll not take the Light out of him. Did any Legion ever believe in its own principle so much? We didn't - we were in the right, we were sure, but the notion that we were the forces of light always seemed fanciful to us.

But Lemorik's Chapter? Oh, their faith was unending. Pitching themselves into a war that was all grey, knowing nothing of their Primarch's will, they committed. And so they came, howling out of the sun...

Captain Guliko of the Void Eagles, Harbourmaster of Thelum

• 1 month later...

BL Fluff Segment (12k words)

Anthology: 30% - Incomplete - (The usual)

FW Fluff Segment (10k? words)

History: 15% - Incomplete - (A portion is written)

Organization: 15% - Incomplete - (There have been a couple of ideas written somewhere.

Exemplary Battles: 15% - Incomplete - (I know Shadow was working on this)

Crunch

Legiones Astartes & Unique Wargear: 5% - Incomplete - (Not sure if I saw any Unique wargear)

Rites of War: 5% - N/A - (Didn't see any)

Unique Units: 5% - Incomplete - (NYR)

Unique Characters: 5% - Incomplete - (NYR)

Primarch: 5% - Incomplete - (NYR)

Total - 0%

Lots of shiny pics. Not so shiny on the words.

Edited by simison

At least they are shiny.

But why 5 percent in the unique units.and characters? The Sitheadair, Saigheadair, Stormblast/Lightbringers, Coimheadair and Illuminator Landspeeder are all there, even with non finalized rules. Even some short bannertexts.

Same goes for the characters( in part). Scorpion is here with a description ( okay.might be outdsted but with a preruleset) arngrim is dead so he does nit count, guaire amalasan has ni rules but he is the 2nd char and Voscott Moragh is the last of the chara, but his ruleset might be hidden in PM with Meros.

And the Unique wargear is the Dual Saber even with rules on page 1

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/312353-il-xii-the-wardens-of-light/?p=4146392

Ignore the legion tactcis as the rising sun sheet in the Rules Hub is the status quo.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

1 - As in, why only 5% for that category? Or why didn't you earn the 5% for that category? Given the rest of your post, I'm going to assume the latter. The NYR means Not Yet Reviewed. You don't get the 5% for that category, until Grifft and I review the unit and give our seal of approval. So, that means those categories are only one step away from achieving the 5%. 

2 - I missed the dual saber, I thought it was part of the unique rule. Ignore the note there and sorry about that.

3 - If the Legion Tactics have been approved on the Hub, I wouldn't have been able to see them since I was at work when I did the review. 

• 1 month later...

BL Fluff Segment (12k words)

Anthology: 30% - Incomplete - (The usual)

FW Fluff Segment (10k? words)

History: 15% - Incomplete - (A portion is written)

Organization: 15% - Incomplete - (There have been a couple of ideas written somewhere.

Exemplary Battles: 15% - Incomplete - (I know Shadow was working on this)

Crunch

Legiones Astartes & Unique Wargear: 5% - Incomplete - (Not sure if I saw any Unique wargear)

Rites of War: 5% - N/A - (Didn't see any)

Unique Units: 5% - Incomplete - (NYR)

Unique Characters: 5% - Incomplete - (NYR)

Primarch: 5% - Incomplete - (NYR)

Total - 0%

Lots of shiny pics. Not so shiny on the words.

I think I have most of first drafts done for these battles, but I'm not sure if I'm still working on them.

Here is the second exemplary battle that I wrote. 

Fall of Phuevon

Imperial annals of the later phase of the Great Crusade show the Phuevon Campaign as one of the earliest illustrious examples of a reborn XIIth Legion after tragedy and rebirth. It is one that exemplifies XIIth Legion innovative ideas and tactics since Gwalchavad took his rightful place as the leader of his Legion.

Phuevon was not a name given by any Rogue Trader or Explorator Fleet, but the name of the meager empire of the Dolor Hegemony, which professed their dominion over it. Phuevon itself was an agri-world with a large human population that encountered the Imperium when the Rogue Trader, Kryster von Harkovo, was looking for possible Warp paths in the Galactic East. Initial diplomatic talks of Compliance started in the throne-city of the Dolor Hegemony, Hurruo. Hurruo was a hive that filled with a interconnected rail system throughout the hive, used for transportation and defense. Over time, first signs of conflict started when the talks of Compliance were obstructed by the Dolorian government. Anti-Imperial rhetoric rose from the Dolorian government as concerns from officials losing their independence. Only days later would the Dolor Hegemony officially declare war on the Imperium and ending any ventures of a peaceful Compliance.

An armada of Imperial ships from the 100th Expeditionary warped into the system within the full authority to fight a war against the Hegemony. With the fleet was eleven full companies of Legiones Astartes from the Wardens of Light Legion under the command of Captain Llwch Lllenlleawg. Being a native of Caerbannog, Llwch Llenlleawg is one of many Caerbannogi who filled the ranks of the XIIth Legion after their near-destruction fighting Xenos in the Rangdan System. This difference in culture from Caerbannogi and Terrans shaped how the XIIth fought in this campaign and future campaigns. In the case of Phuevon, Lllenlleawg’s main objective is attacking the throne-city and forcing a surrender.

When the Imperial fleet arrived in the system, they encountered the Dolorian fleet assembled before them, waiting for the chance to defend their homeland. Along with the fleet, there were orbital gun platforms that served as the primary defense of the planet. A request for surrender was sent to the Dolorian fleet, but only rejection was sent back. It is clear from the amount of ships and other orbital defenses; they thought they could stop the inevitable onslaught that is the Imperium.

Imperial and Dolorian fleets engaged in void combat for the first and last time in the history of both empires. Vanguard ships of the XIIth Legion opened fired as they got within range of the enemy ships. An array of torpedo and lance fire hit the enemy ships that denied the enemy from doing the same. The void battle between the two fleets was in favor of the Imperials for they had better ships than their Dolorian counterparts. Batteries of macrocannons pierced the hulls of the enemy ships as fighter and bombers picked off smaller ships in the battle. The main Dolorian stratagem was to draw out the fight and hoped the Imperial fleet would retreat due to the number of losses they would take, but this failed. A hubris plan that relied on no intelligence or secondary stratagems. The battle was over when the entire Dolorian fleet was destroyed and the orbital platforms were either captured or destroyed in the process. Imperial fleet took losses during the void battle, it was not enough to dissuade them from their main objective.

The Dolor Hegemony did not respond to the XIIth Legion’s second request for surrender even after their fleet and orbital defenses were destroyed. Lllenlleag and the other leaders of the 100th Expeditionary Fleet thought they would surrender after seeing their fleet decimated. When they did, it was an absolute declaration of rejection of the Imperium and the ideals they represent. Days of preparation lead to the day of reckoning as the XIIth Legion finalized their plan. While most Legions, notable the VIIth Legion, would have destroyed the hive from orbit or slaughtered the populace, the XIIth Legion would avoid any unnecessary casualties against the populace of Hurruo. The primary target was the Dolor Hegemony's leaders and military that were hiding behind Hurruo’s walls. This order from Lllenlleag was very typical of some Wardens of Light commander’s operation and it showed the influence of their father on the XIIth Legion. They cared about minimizing collateral damage to the population which differentiated them from their more savage brethren. It was with this decree that Llenlleag did not order any orbital strike against the city as he feared for collateral damage from the barrage.

Drop pods of the first wave faced major resistance from anti-air batteries. Many of the drop pods of the first wave met a fiery end while causing others to miss their original landing targets. These latter drop pods missed the initial targets, harming coherency of the invasion. The first wave was made up of Illuminator land speeders, jetbikes, and infantry. The first wave’s objective was to search for any major defense that would impede any major assault on the capital and then destroy them. Scouting parties were sent to locate these defenses to coordinate the attacks against the anti-air batteries, so the rest of the assault force can land. One single message was sent from the ground forces in the capital to the waiting force above in the fleet. It was with this message that sealed the fate of the planet for good.

Battles between the Wardens of Light and the Dolorian Defense Force raged across Hurruo as the rest of the invasion landed. From reports during and after the battle, the Dolorian military force were made of a mixture of medium infantry and mobile robotic automatas. The war reached new heights as the armored gun trains of the Dolorian Defense Force appeared and open fired onto the Wardens of Light forces. These black armored trains used the railways that interconnect throughout the hive, forming a mobile defense behind walls of the hive. The havoc from the gun-trains caused not only killed Astartes but destroyed the hive these trains were built to protect. The weapons wielded shredded ceramite armor and punctured holes into the toughest hulls of Legion vehicles. What counter the trains were the Legion heavy Illuminator land speeders and heavy weapon teams that were deployed in the hive. The Illuminators were fast enough to catch up and have weapons strong enough to penetrate the armor.

Traps were made throughout the rail system as Dolorian war-trains continued their onslaught against the Wardens of Light. It was at dawn of the second day when Lllenlleawg gave the order to destroy the rail system in the hive. In moments, thunderous explosions echoed throughout the hive as smoke engulf entire sections of the hive. With the war-trains, the Wardens of Light made a push to the center where the leaders of the Hegemony conducted their operations. Pockets of resistance near isolated war-trains were crushed by the encroaching legionaries who were ordered to attack after the strike. The blue beams of death from lascannon fire was more than enough to pierce the black-clad hulls of the trains. What was once proud defenders of their realm only to be reduced to burned-out husks as Imperial forces all around city made their final push into the heart of enemy operations.

This final advance was nothing more of the Imperial forces making sure that victory was within their reach. Attacks from the Wardens of Lights came from various angles as they destroyed any defenses that were optional by this point. It became very clear by the commanders of the XIIth Legion that the war-trains were the primary defense of the city and anything else was either old or not prepared for an assault of this size. Weapon emplacements were easily taken care of as jetbikes used their anti-armour weapons to piece the steel hides of the guns platforms. While casualties did appear from this assault on XIIth Legion side, they did not stop the assault nor do any real harm to bloody them.

It was during the final moments of the battle that messages of surrender finally appeared from the leaders of the Dolorian Hegemony. It was a smart move on their end as what little of their defenses were gone and Imperial reached the final gate that lead to the main fortress of the city. What happened to the leadership of the government is unknown as conflicting reports of most to all members were executed or some were given positions in the new Imperial government that was established and the others that did not comply were executed. Give both reports involve some them being executed must mean that they were in the minority and did not want the city to belong into Imperial hands. Overtime the hive city was remade to fit the standards of Imperium of Man as the infrastructure were repair and the government establish a greater Imperial presence in the city.