Vow complete! :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10604_12382.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_26162.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_58486.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_20137.jpg

There's the remaining Bullgryn to do, along with magnetising the Sergeant Major so these will be my next Guard projects. Not sure what I can do after that, but I did find another HWS box in the pile so that means with a fair few outstanding HWT models probably a good idea to get them done next :wink:

Thanks guys they turned out nicely :) I've long touted them as good models to build and paint, but now they have good rules too there's no excuses ;) The blood splatter was done with the flicking technique from an old toothbrush, aiming roughly for where I had dashed some Blood for the Blood God. Just be careful not to get any in your eye :lol:

Now I have some shiny new Bullgryns it was time to test them out!

750pts vs Dark Angels

This was my opponent's first game for some time, and due to the somewhat hap-hazarded arrangement the game was intended more to be a learning experience so he could get up to speed with 8th and all that has changed since. So while I would be helping out it's still a game, and the 144th's first against DA so there was pride to play for :wink:

I had my list of lots of infantry to avoid having to take larger vehicles though it still filled the carry case It also meant deployment was "interesting" as it was a smaller table set up :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10077_24389.jpg

The Bullgryns ready for battle:

gallery_30308_10077_31722.jpg

Firionel with his command squad and support staff:

gallery_30308_10077_68609.jpg

With the -1 to first turn and failing to seize the DA had first turn. It proved a fairly uneventful one in some regards - the Librarian rolled well to Smite the Ratlings off the board but to counter that the Deathwing utterly whiffed on arrival despite the Stratagem to let them shoot twice over one turn! A Scout Sentinel goes down and a squad takes 5 casualties but otherwise nothing of great note.

In return I don't achieve a great deal either, with weapons fire mostly failing to amount to anything. A few Marines go down but crucially a Terminator is shot down by plasma and another finished off by Firionel himself. That lets my Bullgryns close for the charge, taking a wound on overwatch:

gallery_30308_10077_24330.jpg

The mauls manage to get three on the dot through which is enough to wipe the squad. A good result, so the weapons fire poured in earlier was not entirely in vain as I'm sure a couple of Terminators swinging back wouldn't have been fun. That's a fair chunk of points so things are looking good for the Guard:

gallery_30308_10077_69765.jpg

My Primaris Psyker doesn't do a great deal, but he does keep rolling 11s which is great for Deny the Witch both avoiding and inflicting. Firionel's orders do ok but the Marines prove quite resilient. Even so they are being whittled down slowly but surely.

The game goes fairly predictably from here. The DA advance with effective weapons fire but the Guard hold strong. The Vindicator wakes up a bit but it's the Marines doing the main fighting - and crucially dying. The tables are turned when the smaller Tactical squad encounters the Bullgryns (it doesn't end well for them) and the other squad doing well engaged in combat get my Primaris's Smite to get wiped - revenge for the poor Ratlings! :laugh.:

The Vindie having moved up now looks vulnerable as the sudden exit of the Tacticals exposes the Librarian to command squad plasmas. However as if to prove all the doubters wrong the tank starts doing the improbable... and maybe impossible? It takes out the Sentinel on the charge, and endures the surviving Bullgryn's assault. Moving back, it then over watches the Bullgryn when he attempts to charge again, leading to this:

gallery_30308_10077_20796.jpg

That's a couple of turns before the end too; the Guardsmen ended up just beyond the centre ruins in their advance! The Vindicator can do little damage and certainly can't stop the advance, but it proves enviably durable. Two overcharged plasma shots that should have ended it bounce off armour, autocannons clearly feel they've contributed enough and more. I'm not sure what turn we actually played to in the end to see how it all panned out, perhaps 8 or 9? I wish my Vindictators could do so well :laugh.:

It was good fun, and much more importantly a good introduction to the various ways of 8th Edition :biggrin.: Next time we'll have a bit more time so can have a more proper game. It was a good first outing for the Bullgryns, I can see why everyone enjoys them so much. Aside from being a good combat unit generally it's a huge difference for a Guard commander to know he has something tough and pretty killy he can send into combat :smile.:

Thanks chaps, I really can't recommend them enough (especially magnetised ;) ). I won't leave it so long to finish the last one and spruce up the Sergeant Major, I am considering another box once I've finished with what I have but we'll see. I reckon I'm due some Guardsmen and HWTs first for the 144th along with finally getting moving on my Stormies :)

Agree, very nice looking Bullgryns and a nice report. Hopefully your friend had a good enough time to look for the rematch.

Question: The mauls manage to get three on the dot through which is enough to wipe the squad.

Is this assuming termies have two wounds  each or  just one?

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

Once more the 144th go into battle in His name, this time joined by their old allies from the Legio Venator. First time I've taken an allied list in a long time! Which is odd now I think about it, given that 8th suits alliances so well and I used to do it a lot back in the day. Along with the list being a bit of a quick one I'm not convinced it was a particularly good one, or rather had a few flaws.

2,000pts vs Grey Knights

That mission with three Tactical Objectives

The 144th and Legio

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [1106pts] ++

Regimental Doctrine: Cadian

+ HQ +

Company Commander [30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Company Commander [30pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Grand Strategist, Laspistol, Warlord

Lord Commissar [35pts]: Bolt pistol, Power sword

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [45pts]
8x Guardsman
Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher
Sergeant: Laspistol

Infantry Squad [45pts]
8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [45pts]
8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [45pts]
8x Guardsman

+ Elites +

Bullgryns [126pts]
Bullgryn: Brute Shield, Bullgryn Maul

Bullgryn: Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield
Bullgryn Bone 'ead: Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield

Commissar [20pts]: Bolt pistol, Power sword

Ratlings [45pts]
5x Ratling: 5x Sniper Rifle

Tech-Priest Enginseer [42pts]: Servo-arm

+ Fast Attack +

Hellhounds [101pts]
Hellhound: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Inferno Cannon

Hellhounds [101pts]
Hellhound: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Inferno Cannon

Hellhounds [105pts]
Bane Wolf: Heavy Flamer, Turret-mounted Chem Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks [216pts]
Basilisk: Heavy Bolter
Basilisk: Heavy Bolter

Heavy Weapons Squad [33pts]
Heavy Weapon Team: Mortar

Heavy Weapons Squad [42pts]
Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [894pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

+ HQ +

Techmarine [90pts]: Boltgun, Power axe
Servo-harness: Flamer, Plasma cutter, 2x Servo-arm

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [165pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Kheres pattern assault cannon

Dreadnought [134pts]: Assault cannon
Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

Dreadnought [149pts]: Assault cannon
Dreadnought combat weapon w/Heavy Flamer: Heavy flamer

Ironclad Dreadnought [174pts]: 2x Hunter-killer missile, Meltagun, Seismic hammer
Dreadnought combat weapon w/Heavy Flamer: Heavy flamer

Venerable Dreadnought [182pts]: Twin lascannon
Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

Grey Knights

Hidden Content
GMNDK

- fists

- psilencer

- psycannon

librarian

- fury of Deimos

- daemonhammer

Stormraven

- lascannons

- multimeltas

- hurricane bolters

3x PAGK

- psycannon

- daemonhammer

Dreadnought

- lascannons

- autocannons

Razorback

- lascannons

- stormbolter

Terminators

- daemonhammer

Champion

Deployment

We've got the quartered deployment, which isn't great for me and means they can be a bit closer. I struggle a bit trying to place units in optimal positions ending up keeping artillery to the rear with a centre hedging bets on where they need to do. I've no idea what to do with the Ratlings and figured they'd probably get blasted off the board quickly so put them out on the left flank as I figured it could benefit more from keeping the Turn 1 rush back more.

gallery_30308_10077_47830.jpg

Not only did I forget my dice, I also miscounted Guardsmen. Four Termagaunts on "learning experience" take their place :tongue.: My opponent keeps a fair few units in reserves, unseen is a PAGK squad with the Champion behind the building.

gallery_30308_10077_40660.jpg

I roll low and am going second - seems normal!

Turn 1

All but the Librarian pop in, and my opponent's dice are on fire. I lose a Bassie and the Banewolf, the Ratlings and the right flank squad. A few wounds are plinked off elsewhere too so it's not a great start as my opponent also starts clocking up Tactical Objectives.

gallery_30308_10077_51695.jpg

I realise that my centre is too far back, but need to keep them shooting so move them up as best I can. The Venerable Dreadnought fails miserably to shoot his opposite, but can take out a couple of Terminators on the charge. Supported by withering spam fire preceding it the Terminators take casualties. The Basilisk rolls poorly even with Aerial Spotters and does a single wound to the Dread.

A cheeky wound or two from the Hellhound let me play the Cadian Stratagem to increase hit rolls and I throw a lot at the Stormraven taking it down to 10 wounds. Fortunately for me my opponent's good rolling doesn't really follow to his saves and a fair few PAGK are killed. It's an ok turn I feel, but with the Venerable left on 1 wound the Terminators will be free easily and the GMNDK and Stormraven will require a lot of my resources to counter - resources that are not that close.

gallery_30308_10077_50799.jpg

Turn 2

The librarian strikes in and farts off Vortex of Doom (of course), I end up losing the Lord Commissar and Dread. The Stormraven takes out the Heavy Bolter HWS but fortunately whiffs badly against the Ironclad. The Terminators kill a fair few Guardsmen on their way into the charge having Smited the Venerable, leaving a single Grenade Launcher on the second squad while charging the left most. The Hellhound is crippled in combat, then a Stratagem to fight again is played to finish it off. My battle plan is not feasible any more so I need to come up with something new...

gallery_30308_10077_26793.jpg

Not wasting any time I fall the Guardsman squad back, and throw dice at the Terminators to make them go away. The Bullgryns I had moved up no longer necessary which isn't great as I could do with them on the right. The Contemptor and Ironclad move to intercept the GM while the damaged Dread moves to deal with the Librarian. Aside from needing to die, bobbing him off will help me gather vital TOs as my opponent is building a lead.

A couple of wounds are plinked off the Stormraven but while it's flying I don't have much answer. I do rearrange my units to try and force him to hover next turn rather than potentially zip off the table. The surviving Hellhound zips up the table to try and keep the Astral Aim Dreadnought busy. The Librarian is squished, but uses the fight again stratagem to knock out the Dread. In combat the GM takes some hits but his 3++ keeps him going, and he badly damages the Ironclad. It's a better turn but I've taken a lot of hits and am badly out of position, not to mention trailing in Victory Points.

gallery_30308_10077_60807.jpg

Turn 3

Dropping into hover the Stormraven kills the Techpriest to score a TO, but otherwise GK fire doesn't perform. Lascannons fail to damage the Hellhound enough for stat reduction, and while the Bassie is reduced it's still in the fight. The Contemptor holds on and reduces the GM some more but the fight continues.

The Bullgryns charge into the Stormraven which is fairly damaged by shooting and finish it off, and the Hellhound inflicts some damage on the Dreadnought before charging in. Crucially I got some good cards finally and start to make some VP ground but there's still a way to go. My opponent spends his last Command Point to save his GM, but the Contemptor is still holding on with 2 wounds left!

gallery_30308_10077_45490.jpg

Turn 4

It's looking like the turning point of the game here, but it all depends on how several things go. The GM could easily ruin things and the Hellhound could potentially drastically reduce GK shooting. With a good lead in VPs and safely back from the majority of my forces my opponent could easily wait it out for a win. So: all to play for!

The Dreadnought falls back, but that still stops it shooting so good enough. The Razorback damages the Hellhound but it's still trucking. The surviving PAGK squad finally moves to get a bead on the Hellhound but fails to achieve anything. Just before my opponent gets to the fight phase I pull out a Stratagem to strike first - the GM does not survive! This is great, saving my Contemptor and stopping the GM from being free to shoot everything up and charge the rest.

There's not a huge amount to do in my turn. My forces start moving up (the Techmarine now busy with repairs) and with Basilisk support (again with Aerial Spotters) the Hellhound finishes off the Dreadnought. It stays in place to nab me a tasty 3 VPs on a D3 roll for stealing the random objective from my opponent, and with my Infantry Squads busy capturing objectives for more I finally close the gap in VPs!

gallery_30308_10077_71819.jpg

Turn 5

With his lead in VPs no longer comfortable my opponent is facing dilemmas. I'm moving up and will have a good shot at taking the lead in VPs so he needs to score, but not be too exposed in doing so. There's also the game potentially ending to consider. The PAGK move up, as they could reverse the objective stealing in the centre (D3 wounds etc can deal with the Bullgryns), plus the Champion and his 2+ save are pretty safe capturing the other. While the Hellhound is destroyed by lascannon fire the PAGK fail to charge the Bullgryns, and the Champion fails his.

gallery_30308_10077_40060.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_39403.jpg

The Bullgryns move up and have no problem with their charge, but not before the Basilisk finally rolls well and delivers 9 wounds to the Razorback! The Champion is brutally cut down by weapons fire, as does the Justicar lose his squad in exchange for a Bullgryn.

gallery_30308_10077_61847.jpg

From here on to turn 7 it's game over for the GK. The Razorback whiffs as expected and is pounded to oblivion by the Basilisk, and while the Justicar can take out another Bullgryn he can't stop the remaining abhuman from clobbering him to death - victory is sealed without needing my last turn and I have earned a comfortable lead in VPs should it not have been so!

It was a good fight, I certainly had my work cut out for me early game. With my opponent's rolling coupled with his cards he was leveraging an advantage that was only growing. Fortunately with the Guard I could weather some attrition, and even when my rolling finally started improving (and my opponents returning to a more "normal" level) I was still lagging behind until I got some good cards. Aerial Spotters was in full force (aided by CP regeneration) but even so the Basilisk was a bit disappointing, good job it woke up at the end!

I think my opponent was correct after the game, he said that the turning point was me spending 2 CPs (and regenerating both, for added insult) for the Contemptor to strike first. Otherwise the GM would have won and been free to shoot and punch freely. With his death line breaker was gone, as was a heavy hitter. Even so I still needed turn 6 at the least to start pulling into the lead so the game could easily have ended in defeat with his remaining forces hiding far back.

I think I spent a few too many points on my allies (almost half) but then I usually do with Dreadnoughts :laugh.: In the future I'll need to be better with allied forces but it was fun to do :smile.: At 2k not having any of the "big toys" also felt like a bit of a handicap - I'd probably not have struggle so much early game if I had meatier answers though I'm sure it'd make a juicy target for the Stormraven. The Contemptor did heroic work, and the Bullgryns pulled some weight when it counted so I'm pleased with them - but they've always done good work for me so perhaps to be expected.

The Dreads are usually reliable, but then I do tend to take them in number! It's only the second game for the Bullgryns but they continue to impress, hitting hard on the charge and durable to boot. Not much you can do against the GK's force weapons though, but a value asset for any Guard commander :)

Lord Commissar did nothing, but didn't really have the chance to be fair. The Commissar let the Grenade Launcher trooper survive, and he went on to help me achieve some vital VPs so a good result there albeit not fancy :tongue.: A bit too early to tell I think, but a list with more troopers to take advantage would have been better for them. Counter attack is essential, but I should have focused a bit more on shooting I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

It's that time again - but the cupboards are a bit empty. I'll be away for a bit shortly which will give me extra time to decide what I'm vowing. I should have a couple of Armigers arriving and will be eager to paint them up so they're an obvious first start. There's one Bullgryn left I need to do, so a neat Ogryn Bodyguard vow there (thanks, new codex!).

Last but not least I have 15 Scions. Though I won't have time to get them all done (or perhaps any?) it's about time I dusted them off. However I need to decide on their colour scheme - I quite fancy something different to denote their separate status but want them to look like they're still related. It feels like the standard scheme doesn't lend itself to variation though. For example camo fatigues would be a good way to tie them together, but what colours could the carapace be done that would work with that? :confused:

It'd be nice to do something quite different, like a snow/urban/desert scheme but I worry it'll make them look completely unrelated. Thoughts?

Why not do their carapace the same green color as your main force, and then go with a complimentary colour like a deep brown or a tan for their fatigues?

I think that would keep them unified, but still distinctly their own.

How about a black or dark grey carapace? Or maybe very dark green? Not sure you'd want to be painting the trims and whatnot either, that won't fit in with your camo scheme at all I don't think. Failing that maybe painting them completely camo like your Guardsmen will look good after all?

I'd go for something different. But leave a single colour to tie in with the rest of your troops (I've noticed you've used red as a spot colour on your berets and flags that would work). Personally I think the scions look nice in spec ops colours (black) or urban (grey). Have you assembled them with berets or the helmets? As you know the helmets can be easily painted to look like skulls for further variation.

• 3 weeks later...

My first vow is now completed :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_14554_21042.jpg

gallery_30308_14554_9309.jpg

For those that may remember, in the last ETL I vowed my Knight to the Guard's cause so here's their first family picture:

gallery_30308_14554_47810.jpg

Some more pictures can be found in my AdMech WIP as usual, my next vow will feature one or two Guard units so look forward to more regular updates here :smile.: It won't be the Scions as they're just under the last picture in leg and torso form... I didn't expect to complete the Armigers quite this soon so my assembly plans are behind. Plus they're kind of fiddly, so hopefully the backup second vow buys me that time I need :thumbsup: