I'm sure Mrs Vel is a wonderful and understanding person who would never deprive you of something you need - and you need a Baneblade. All Guardsmen need one at the very least!

Just the top plates for magnetising, gravity does most of the work for you and the sponson bit is secure enough so no need for a magnet at all, same with the lascannon :) I vaguely remember targeting arrays of some form being an option for the sponsons, did I imagine there ever being a bit for this?

What a wonderful day to spend modelling, Spring finally made its mind up! Here's the revision for the side plates:

gallery_30308_10714_263.jpg

Chop the top part down a bit, and you just need to take the edges off the side plate so they can be taken off without too much hassle.

gallery_30308_10714_7219.jpg

There are the only magnets you need. I used the large magnets to save the smaller ones, I don't use them much plus it means a larger area and stronger field for a good fit. As ever dry run things first to make sure everything aligns, the polarity is correct and the pull strong enough!

gallery_30308_10714_3848.jpg

Since I'm here this is my simple trick to make sure the sides glue correctly - pop the single track pieces in the alignment bits to make sure the fit is correct and the tracks will go in :smile.: You could glue the tracks at the same time but I found I didn't have enough hands :laugh.:

Always so much easier and quicker to do something once you've done it before, so I'll be able to get the start of the main hull done today too :biggrin.:

That is pretty much what I have done on my second one. I used the 3 x 1.5mm magnets on this bit rather than the larger ones you used in this photo

gallery_30308_10714_7219.jpg

On the side plates, I completely removed the 2 tabs you bevelled on the side plate and left the single tab on the top plate where I glued a single 3 x 1.5mm magnet centrally in the recess similar to what you did in your photo below.

gallery_30308_10714_263.jpg

Even easier ;)

Gravity does all the work. The side tabs are not even needed and saves 18 magnets... Just need to update the tutorial :)

I like the way you have got the perfect spacing using the single tracks. I will have to try that on my next one :P

I magnetised the lascannons purely as a bonus for transportation or for weapon destroyed results but you could add a targeting array if required.

I'm sure there was a bit for targeting arrays, maybe it was a conversion piece I saw? Not a big deal as I'm sure I can do something for the next time as they're all swappable :smile.: I think it's probably better to take the tabs right down, but maybe leave a bit to help them click into place? The larger magnets were picked purely to save the others, it was only afterwards I realised the other benefits :tongue.:

I will be ordering some more magnets soon, can't be a bad thing to have a stockpile so I'll get a lot. I also need to get a drill to make magnetising easier but every time I try to find one I get bamboozled by the various settings and numbers. I'll pretty much be only using it for modelling so I'd need one that won't set fire to my plastic (or hands), does anyone have some recommendations?

You can never have enough magnets. Just stick to a couple of sizes which will be good for every job and you can't go far wrong ;)

I have had a few different cheap rotary tools in the past but now went for a Dremel 8200 as it does everything I need. Drilling barrels/magnet holes etching, sanding, cutting.... Just remember that  you need to use the slowest speed and a sharp drill bit to avoid melting the plastic. The battery lasts a long time and charges quickly and gives the added bonus of not getting tangled in a power cable.

It is a little heavy but I bought this to make it easier and more accurate to use. If you want to get really posh then get this (next Xmas gift to self :) )

Cool thanks a lot elmo, I will set aside some time tomorrow to pick and order something :thumbsup: Speaking of time it's about right to set down my tools and glue for the moment at least, progress has been good:

gallery_30308_10714_28750.jpg

I will look to continuing later today but I've got a feeling I won't be able to do that much until I get a tool to help with the drilling. So far everything has gone very well, the Emperor is clearly pleased with my preparation work :smile.:

I'll only be able to do a bit more before needing a tool so there's plenty of time to do what I can tomorrow. Instead I decided to try and clear the decks a bit more before the ETL and make use of the daylight. Unfortunately it's starting to fade a bit now as you can tell from the picture so work has stopped:

gallery_30308_10604_14935.jpg

Just the camo and basing and they'll be finished :smile.: If I get the time tomorrow I'll try and strip down the Ratlings too :tu:

... and then you will want a third :wink: One thing at a time though we've not even started this ETL :laugh.:

I know right?  I have a dozen projects in the wings and I'm chomping at the bit to get started.  11 days to go!

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned in the ETL topic the Ratlings and their 15+ years of paint are proving a little stubborn but I have made good use of my time. The Dremel has finally been properly used and it's priceless, I am now the king of modularisation; the magnetiser of Worlds! :laugh.: Magnetising kits is going to be a walk in the park now :biggrin.:

Once more I've been lazy and made use of my spare larger magnets and saved myself having to drill by placing them on the back. They're quite powerful so it works well:

gallery_30308_10714_5081.jpg

It's a good use of them as I have plenty left, though some will be reserved for the Knight where they will surely be necessary. I've also tweaked the cannon magnetising, putting a thin bit of plastic in to plug the gaps and position the magnets. A nice extra touch I thought but far from essential:

gallery_30308_10714_4070.jpg

Here's a dry run of the lots of different bits:

gallery_30308_10714_34956.jpg

The kit works very well; the magnetising tutorial just as smoothly so it's been a lot of fun. It's a little less work as this is the original kit without the Baneblade parts but that saves me time and I've already got a Baneblade :tongue.:

Last of all I noticed a few plate bits that didn't seem to have a home such as these two. Anyone have an idea what they're for?

gallery_30308_10714_3224.jpg

They go inside the engine decking cover at the rear on either side. I will try to upload a photo later.

Yes I see now, I just poked the instructions and found them in the model image, but they weren't referenced anywhere as a piece to put in - just appeared suddenly on the model :P Here's where they appear, also conveniently the other two bits that I'm unsure of their use on the left:

gallery_30308_10714_29022.jpg

If you could point me to where these go I'd appreciate it! I forgot that this is from the older days where GW's instructions could be a bit useless. I also noticed that the plate that goes just in front of the driver's hatch is completely flush in the pictures on the box as if it's part of the hull piece. If I remember right, this is about the same era as the terrible Valkyrie instructions...

Thanks, I'm planning on getting the Ratlings done tomorrow with a bit of luck so I can get cracking on this. Given their appearance I've half a mind to paint them as little Napoleonic soldiers :P Chances are the bank holiday means I won't get my magnets early in the week but there's no reason not to get stuff done ASAP especially when I have the time. I'm sure I can keep myself busy with other things.

I had a look and can't find anywhere that these two bits might go on, not even as part of a Baneblade so bits box it is! Another of the great mysteries, though not quite as big as that old kit piece that is so random we can't even come up with a name for it.

Perhaps with a bit of luck I may well get time to squeeze in my Knight after all? Certainly possible if I can maintain this speed for the opening week or two, but I'll need to see how the new kit things work so I can make sure to magnetise ready for the new weapons as well! I really like the new sallet style helmet so I suppose that will have to be for Knight number 2... :lol:

Edit: Ive removed the random post. Im not sure how this comment got on this thread. Damn phone.....

Tanks are looking good though :)

Edited by UltraRich

Always, Coffee ;) I expect to get the Ratlings done today by their bases but that can be done over an evening. I will likely be waiting for my magnets for a day or two anyway.

I'm going to go the whole hog on the Russ as that will surely need it! I think I'll still keep it out of the ETL so I can concentrate on doing my best with it without worrying about deadlines :)

A good day of painting, but it's time to stop. Progress has been as planned they're now only awaiting basing :D

gallery_30308_10714_9861.jpg

I've even written up a bit of background for them :) I will post it up with the completion, for now the modelling sand is gluing ready for me to paint from tomorrow. They're tiny models but full of detail (you can see the pork pie in the second from right's bag for example) so take deceptively long but it's well worth it as I think they turned out nicely. Also not great for taking pictures but I think I got a pretty good one all things considered.

Before you ask I won't be taking the rest of the day off, I will be getting some modelling in! :P

Done!

gallery_30308_10714_6244.jpg

Plus a bonus background piece to accompany them:

"Gandi's Picketmen"

Initially the Arukan were sceptical of the abhuman companies that were sent to join them but this changed rapidly to respect and open arms thanks in no small part to the pickets, foremost of the ratling company attached to the 144th. In their opening battle against a rampaging Ork Warboss known as "orkold boney" Gandi's squad's first shots blew his head clean off along with his attending meganob guards, sending the horde into disarray almost instantly. The Guard command were completely shocked but quickly took advantage of this new tool.

This feat earned not only a warm welcome that abhumans would likely not receive elsewhere but had such an impact that the Arukan word for "ratling" became "Gandi". He is quietly proud of this and often enjoys the attention it brings, but his squad haven't had the heart to tell him this is as much due to the word "ratling" being unpronounceable to the Arukan tongue as anything else.