Second vow is now ready to go, a fully magnetised tank commander with almost all the bells and whistles!

gallery_30308_10714_47841.jpg

I might just paint the required bits but we'll see how it goes. The commander isn't glued yet, I may have a special plan or two for him later so he'll only get paint for the moment.

Evening painting is never the best, but it's ok when you're not doing any detail work:

gallery_30308_10714_70540.jpg

Of course it also means the pictures are worse for it but you should be able to see it. Sort of, it looks better in real life honest! It'll also benefit a lot from having some contrasting colours so it should look improved for that, then it'll just be a matter of deciding how much extra to do. I'll pick out a few of the chips with boltgun for some variety then I'll need to consider if I'll use some Typhus and Agrax and how much if so.

It's more of a case I'm better with large surfaces and tanks than anything else, but thanks. I'm doing the metals today :) I've not thought of a name for her yet, but I do have one for the commander. Perhaps a name will come to me later, or she will earn one in battle? :D

The finishing line is well within sight:

gallery_30308_10714_17649.jpg

gallery_30308_10714_66725.jpg

Only the details and commander left :D I went lighter on the weathering as intended and it turned out well, Typhus Corrosion and Agrax Earthshade are a match made on Terra! I expect to have my vow wrapped up in the coming week easily :)

Eh that commander.  Always the slowest part.  I think you should wait to name the tank until it performs an exceptional deed (exceptionally bad works too!).  :wink:

Well said, that's what the ETL is all about and I'm very pleased with my progress so far :) I hope to get some more done tonight but I've been putting up with a headache most of the day so I'm not sure how well detail work will go. Doesn't mean I won't give it a go though ;)

Seems like a while since I updated this, but I have good progress to report:

gallery_30308_10714_12183.jpg

"Not more terrible pictures!" I hear you cry but fear not, even in the fading light I somehow managed to snap a couple of ones that actually show off some of the paint. Well, better than normal at least :P

gallery_30308_10714_38255.jpg

Better look at the sides and the mud weathering, though it looks a bit odd in this light.

gallery_30308_10714_65004.jpg

Check this one out, you can even make out some of the chip and primer paint weathering... if you squint a little bit? :P

I'm very pleased with her progress and I'm finally happy that I've got the weathering down. I will retroactively apply it to other tanks in time :D I've already got an idea for the background piece so I can type that out when I get some time and have my vow done this weekend without any problems. For the Guard and Emperor!

Through the Warp, to near and far,

To Tallarn, Lethe and Ultramar,

The Emperor points and we obey,

Through the Warp and far away.

Thanks nismo, I trust you are familiar with our magnetising tutorial? I have recently got a Dremel tool and it makes it so much quicker and easier plus magnets can be quite cheap so I have no excuses not to magnetise everything now! :D The perfect excuse for you to get more Russes so you can magnetise them though right? ;)

Thanks nismo, I trust you are familiar with our magnetising tutorial? I have recently got a Dremel tool and it makes it so much quicker and easier plus magnets can be quite cheap so I have no excuses not to magnetise everything now! :biggrin.: The perfect excuse for you to get more Russes so you can magnetise them though right? :wink:

When I got my last Chimera, I googled magnetizing IG chimera.  That is how I found this forum :)

Right now I'm working on magnetizing 2x chimera and 1x wyvern using that thread.

While I recover from the weekend I thought now would be a great time to work on the 144th's background as part of the Liber challenge. I've split it into chunks so it's not too unreadable:

Regiment of the Imperial Guard

144th Arukan, "The Inquisitor Lord's Own"

Home Planet

Arukan Secundus, Arukan System, Segmentum Pacificus

Hidden Content
The Arukan System
Deep in the Segmentum Pacificus lies the Arukan system, an unassuming star with three entirely ordinary planets. Settled in ages past the humans fell into a feudal state of warring clans, constantly vying to be supreme ruler. Countless centuries of endless war and politicking forged a planet of not just able warriors, but astute and cunning ones too. A near permanent state of war had created a hardy and determined people who would gladly seek death before dishonour - something that piqued the interest of a nomadic and meddlesome Inquisitor and would change Arukan forever.

The various war clans of Arukan II each claimed valid legitimacy to the throne, and at one time or another was allied or in a no-quarter war with any of the other clans leading to a strong sense of not just standing alone but also wilful isolation. In such a way did they all develop their own quirks and preferences of war - again something of great interest to the Inquisitor Lord, seeing how they could be put to various uses in war in the Emperor's name.

Planets
Arukan I - "Death's Hold"
Closest to the sun, Arukan I is a deeply inhospitable planet - its blasted rocks and sand seeing only use for hostile environment training for the regiments of Arukan. During one exercise mineral resources were discovered deep within and saw the planet turned over to the Inquisitor's old allies in the adepts of Praxisus for mining. Though the planet's surface still remains mostly to the Arukani for training the Mechanicus is always teaming over the planet though quite what they get up to nobody knows. As long as Praxisus keeps giving the Arukani the various machines and tools of war they desire nobody cares either.

Arukan II - "Home"
An unusually large planet that proved to be very amenable to human life, letting the first settlers flourish with ease. It is said it bears some resemblance to ancient Terra and the various climates and terrain, something the Arukani are very proud of. The significant bodies of water on the planet frequently throw tantrums however leading to the people of Arukan being somewhat averse to water travel. Better to stand and fight on your feet they would say.

Large portions of the planet are either forest or farmland, the cities of the Arukani being tightly packed but efficient places - though not anywhere to the degree of a Hive. As such the planet is capable of sustaining a large population, something the Guard makes ready use of. Despite rejoining the Imperium the dedicated nature of the planet means they have no exports save for the regiments themselves, all resources being dedicated to this sole pursuit. It is not the only benefit the Arukani have gained from joining forces with an Inquisitor of some power.

Arukan III
Arukan III is a very small planet, quite distant from Arukan II and on an elliptical orbit that sees it only visible some parts of the year, being too distant otherwise. It has no features of note and aside from housing some communication and scanning arrays is considered so boring that it doesn't even have a local name. Calling something a "three" or a "third" is Arukan slang for something useless, or unattractive.

Founder

=][= CLASSIFIED - By supreme order of Inquisitor Lord [records not found] =][=

Notable Characters

Hidden Content
Lord Commander Firionel, House Reigan

All nobles of Arukan are subject to mandatory gene screening and enhancement therapy before they even leave the womb to ensure only the purest and fittest are entered into the Emperor's service, Firionel can boast a lineage of warrior generals right back to before the reunification with the Imperium. This is not what sets him apart from his peers however, as the Arukan are famously only impressed by personal capability not that of your forebears. Firionel's family has long proven receptive to the genetic enhancements resulting in superior specimens; in this Firionel matches his ancestors in spirit and accomplishment. It is little surprise that his command was the chief reason the Inquisitor prefers his 144th regiment when personally involving himself with a campaign.

Commander Britain, House Pouris

Brash, loud and oft the subject of jokes about his true lineage (as no true son or daughter or Arukan could be so noisy?) Britain is more akin to the traditional Guard concept of a hero. Riding to war on steeds of iron where Britain goes victory follows. Relentless, destructive and merciless victory. A loose cannon (or two) but undeniably effective for it his aggressive strategies have turned countless wars and silenced his critics. He is little understood by the non-armoured members of the 144th but no less a hero for it. If you see him and his tanks arrive, it is said you're better off standing behind them and waiting for the dust to settle!

Duke Erasmus, House Pouris

"The Iron Duke" is the black sheep of Pouris, ironically more like the normal Arukan temperament for it. Quiet and unassuming, speaking only when necessary he is a household name and a celebrity of the people. While he is famously undefeated in battle - never having used reverse gear as the story goes - this is eclipsed by his generosity and compassion. An oddity and even more so to the taciturn and serious Arukan way but he strongly believes in the value of every life on the battlefield. As such his presence on the battlefield is said to be incalculable as the common troops hold him in the highest of regard, even more so than Firionel - and perhaps the Inquisitor Lord himself!

Captain Semper, House Gureka

A simple soldier rising through the ranks is the oft repeated tale of the heroes and generals of the Arukan - but to date Semper is the only soldier to have refused a promotion (several times). Legend has it a frustrated Firionel promoted him anyway but let him retain his position as a Sergeant of his Veteran squad. Given the feats and accomplishments that this band of 10 brothers in arms has completed it is often said that Semper would be wasted in command. "Semper's Heroes" have such a litany of glory and the impossible to their name that many believe them a myth for how can mere men achieve such legend? Something the commissariat is keen to promote - officially there is no Alpha Squad but many attest to being saved by the timely arrival of a single squad...

History

Hidden Content
Ostensibly the 144th is a relatively new regiment, yet there are reports of activity dating back many centuries before. It is not the first of inconsistencies related to the regiment and their mysterious benefactor. Certainly the sheer size and level of armament suggests an ancient regiment of some renown but the curious and contradictory nature of the Arukan people only makes the matter more confusing. Unbecoming to boast of one's achievements this extends to the regiment too so they are oddly reluctant to talk of previous battles or battle honours with outsiders.

Culture
The Arukani place an overly high significance on honour and duty; any man, woman or child would willingly die in service to their clan - though this would later be replaced by their regiment. Their concept of what is honourable or not is something that at times seems to jar with the wider galaxy's however, but typically they care little for the opinions of others as their stubborn nature extends to all things. Martial skill is valued above all else, but there is seen to be great respect to be gained in other useful careers such as medical, manufacture or agriculture. It is little surprise that these secondary "agreeable" jobs are also directly related to keeping a well armed and motivated military.

Despite their prominent martial nature they also have a fondness for various arts, though they would never dream of mixing art with war as others do - further than the art of war itself of course! That's not to say any Arukani parent would be pleased with an artist child, as much as they enjoy the arts it is something to be created by others... There is little honour in crafting a statue not matter how beautiful after all.

The Enlightenment
"The Enlightenment" as it has long been known is when Arukan was brought back in to the Imperial fold properly by an explorator fleet from the nearby (in galactic terms) Praxisus Forge World. The arrival of the Adeptus Mechanicus caused the first global peace in recorded history as the Arukani were forced to consider their place in the wider galaxy. Followed shortly by the Inquisition - but not for censure but instead with a unique offer from an even more unique (some would say dangerously eccentric) Inquisitor.

Though his name is long lost from record - or perhaps removed - he is usually known as "The Benefactor" or any other grand title of similar meaning depending on the clan. One by one he visited the great lords of the clans with an offer. In exchange for the technological might and benefits of all the Imperium has to offer, all they had to do was pledge their allegiance to him. The lords all readily agreed, eager to access the technology and attain greater glory amongst the stars. So did all the clans become regiments instead, each retaining their customs, positions and ways of war. All that is, save for one.

The Beneficence
The arrival of the Inquisitor was seen by many to be a sign from the Emperor to lay down arms against each other and to take them up against the xeno, mutant and traitor. The Soka Clan however refused outright to even meet the Inquisitor and so did this remain for some time even as their mountainous fortress was left isolated as Arukan II changed momentously around them. The Inquisitor was seemingly not perturbed by this, at times amused that the other clans considered the Soka to be "arrogant and prideful". Quite what could cause the arrogant and prideful lords to consider someone else such became of increasing interest to him and he eventually went to meet them - at the head of several of his new regiments.

The Soka again refused, keeping their fortress sealed and replying to no other messages. To this the Inquisitor simply walked up to the main gate alone, which opened to let him in. How this happened or why is not known, nor is what transpired during the day he spent inside. What is known is that he left, sending his armies back home and the mountains of the Soka were declared forbidden for all to enter. Since then nobody has heard of or seen the Soka or set foot in the snow covered forests of their ancestral land. It is a mystery that has many theories, but they are rarely spoke of - seen as idle gossip or to invite misfortune by discussion depending on the regiment's beliefs.

Notable Engagements

It is understandably difficult to pin point actions of the 144th. Many times scholars agree that the regiment on record is likely to be the 144th judging by appearances and behaviour but definite proof is strangely hard to find. The contradictory nature of the 144th doesn't help as the ways they wage war can change even in a single conflict and the strings held by their benefactor surely cloud matters even more. Most consider the wilful obfuscation to render it little worth the effort, for what does it matter if a regiment doesn't want the acclaim, but some persist in a search. Whether for the truth or the challenge it can't be said, but all who try either give up or disappear...

Hidden Content
Jyram System, "The Steel Wall of Jimina"

The Inquisitor Lord and the 144th stand alone confronting the countless waves of the great devourer's tendrils. The plains world of Jimina is where they choose to do battle and a campaign lasting 21 months is fought tooth and nail with continuous engagements, redeployments and little time for rest. It was said Britain's tanks crushed more xenos beneath their tracks than under their guns in their ceaseless purges across the planet's rolling plains. Firionel and the Inquisitor work flawlessly to create a plan to entice, trap and destroy the Tyranid menace, ruthlessly targeting the hive mind's controlling organisms. Despite this they quickly adapt and a game of cat and mouse plays out throughout the rest of the campaign with the minds of men proving superior as critical nodes deep within the xenos held territory mysteriously detonated over a single night. Jimina is left to curious biologis magos, though they find no samples of worth thanks to the efficiency of the 144th's cleansing.

Ungr'nam Worlds, "Traitor's Silence"

Traitor Marines conquer the eight planets of Ungr'nam after a cultist plot reveals the system long infested with heresy. The Sundering Call boast that none can defeat them and the Inquisitor Lord rapidly gathers his forces and calls in help from his ancient allies in the Legio Venator Marines who respond by sending elements of their 1st, 2nd, 4th and 10th companies. Imperial forces land on Ungr'nam Prime and begin a ruthless campaign of slaughter in search of the Sunder but after days of fighting Space Marine Scouts report no sign of the servants of Slaanesh on any of the planets. A glowering Inquisitor pulls his forces out and carries out exterminatus on the system, killing trillions. Neither the Arukan regiments nor the allied Marines question his reasons for seeking battle with the Sunder over immediate exterminatus.

Let me know what you think, or if there are any improvements to be made :smile.: