Fan Publications?

We could subject it to a preliminary committee of just a few people, and THEN put it out with a notice of "Test This". My friend and I play once every week, week and half, sometimes more, and we both play guard, albeit I play guard as allies. We could easily give regimental doctrines a test run during one of our games, and then go ahead and go to option two. Kinda best of both worlds.

be about the best starting option we could possibly exercise all told.

So did some mock-up work in photoshop and came up with something I think is a viable mock-up design. Assuming that this web-zine (Formal name still to be determined) will becomes a publication connected to B&C I tried to use similar designs and colors from the forums on the mock-up. The idea is that the front page will provide a list of each issues individual articles. The user could then go to the 'articles' section to see a listing of all articles that had been released to day, while they could go to "Issues" to see each issue which will list the articles based on which issue they were published in.

The larger banner, the one showing the image of the Dark Eldar character (Her name escapes me just now) is intended to be a rotating banner that will rotate through the featured image for each article. While below that you'd have the listing and first couple sentences of each article in the issue.

Thoughts?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/Warhammer%20Web-zine/warhammer-website_zpswy0dnije.jpg

That looks sweet!

I was honestly expecting a PDF webzine but this is better!

A single file PDF per issue was my original idea, but when I went to start doing mock up designs I ran across a mock up for a website I had designed a few years ago. The site was intended to be update heavy, which is functionally the same thing as a series of articles in an issue of a magazine or newspaper. So I started rolling in that direction. One of the advantages of mock design: you can change design direction fairly easily.

The focus right now really needs to be on methodology.

The default option is that the fanzine will be developed here at the B&C using our site structure (i.e., it's very easy for us to build forums/sub-forums). The finished products will be downloadable (pdfs and/or epubs).

In a sense, the entire B&C is the proposed website with all of the content here ripe for inclusion in issues.

This is also a great way to document ongoing and finished projects/challenges, showcases of finished models, DIY articles, fan fiction, battle reports, etc.

The most important thing right now is figuring out how all of this is going to be done, because this is the part where we fail each time.

The default option is that the fanzine will be developed here at the B&C using our site structure (i.e., it's very easy for us to build forums/sub-forums). The finished products will be downloadable (pdfs and/or epubs).

In a sense, the entire B&C is the proposed website with all of the content here ripe for inclusion in issues.

This is also a great way to document ongoing and finished projects/challenges, showcases of finished models, DIY articles, fan fiction, battle reports, etc.

The most important thing right now is figuring out how all of this is going to be done, because this is the part where we fail each time.

I agree with Brother Tyler. For this not to flop we do need some organisation. Mainly, we need an editor and some dedicated writters/reporters. Without that foundation, this wont go anywhere.

I have to disagree BT. At this stage, one of very early conceptualizing, it's more important to determine what we will be doing with the... fan-zine. Once we have figured out what we want to do, then we can determine how we are going to do it.

And with that having been said, I figure this is as good a time as any to bring this point up.

Do we want to do a website or a series of PDFs? Each approach has it's advantages and disadvantages so it would need to be weighed and compared. By trade I'm a web designer and while there is SOME over lap with print and Quasi-print design work, that is not my specialty. If we want to do a single file per issue PDF we are going to need someone involved who is capable of working in that medium with a fair amount of experience and certainty.

I'd vote for online articles set up as a sub forum.

Contents wise the original tale of 4 gamers is still one of the best thins gw ever did.

If it does go online, I vote against sub forum...it should be somehow webpaged based with maybe an access to the forums for discussion and comments. Say like: www.ravenholdt.net (WoW Rogue site)

We would be amenable to supporting a B&C fanzine. In fact, the mods and admins have had several extensive discussions on this over the years and we've had a few variations appear (e.g., The Dornian Heresy, the Legio Imprint 2: The Eye of Terror, etc.). We've also had failed attempts, such as a recent effort to collect and present fan-fiction. Any project like this requires some degree of organization.

Even if we don't conduct this is a regular ongoing effort, we could have one-off efforts with short term specific goals (such as both of the examples above). In that case, see the Special Projects forum and the basic requirements to conduct special projects. Even if a single member or small group of members want to pool their efforts to create something, I'm all for enabling that via the B&C.

I cant access The Dornian heresy project says i dont have permission?

While the question of what the final form of publication will actually be is being determined, I think we can still talk about the resources we have to put into work on the publication since many of these resources will apply no matter if the final publication is a single file pdf, a multi-file pdf, or a website. So who is on board?

So far I have been contacted by the following people who have expressed their interest in working on the publication in the following areas:

What do we have:
myself (Maverike_prime): General operations and production coordination, Web-Design, some graphic design, Photography, non-standard Battle reports, Project articles including conversions and some painting.

HenricusTyranicus: Homebrew rules (Will need to discuss that before we actually do anything), Battle Reports, Fluff and said he's willing to touch on strategy articles.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer: Largely into doing fluff based background articles but has also mentioned he could do short sculpting tutorials

dursara217: Editing and fluff background articles

There are a couple other people who have indicated their interest in working on the project or have offered their support. I'm listing them below as "Maybes" I don't want to say "Yes, I'm in" for them.

Brother Tyler: I think he's volunteered to be our go-between for the B&C side of the equation.

Aquilanus: Editor and layout

CommodusXIII: Background and fluff based articles

So assuming that everyone on that list is in we've got 2 editors with 4 writers.

And here's the first challenge: Who is going to write what?

What do we need to get started:

• A Name for the publication          
  • A Graphic artist that can commit to doing the battle report maps
  • A Publication schedule
  • If we do go with a single-file .pdf per issue we will need someone who knows how to work with PDF publications

As far as a name goes, I was thinking of "Spent Casings" because it ties into the B&C name. Any thoughts or other ideas?

I can create simple battlemaps relatively quickly - have done similar in the past for campaign maps. Wouldn't be mindshattering works of art, mind, (just vaguely recognizable model/terrain icons on a textured backdrop) and I'd appreciate the battle report author more or less outlining exactly what is required. Basically, I'd be willing to handle graphic/pdf elements not currently spoken for. I think this project would greatly benefit from having a prototypical issue booted out the door relatively quickly, maybe call it issue #0.

On the note of homebrew; a huge advantage of posting the fanzine on a website would be that the homebrew could be a living document, although I appreciate how a PDF may be more practical/in line with B&C. Perhaps in a pdf fanzine the homebrew rules could be game design/thought pieces linking to a living doc website?

Title; Adeptus Apocrypha?

Edit: Putting my money where my mouth is - aiming to have a fluff piece touching on an aspect of the Slaves to Darkness/Lost and the Damned books with some accompanying art within a fortnight. I assume that regardless of what format we use for the fanzine, a textfile and some quality images will fit in.

on the name: put it to vote with the B&C community

publication schedule: monthly would be nice, quarterly might be more feasible(or every other month!)

To start with, I was figuring we can shoot for a 6 week publication schedule. So in a year we would put out 8 issues. As support grows we could move to a monthly schedule. I figure the 6 week approach would be a good medium between 8 weeks, which from a readers perspective needs to be really worth it quality and volume wise to be worth the wait, and 4 weeks which is what we actually want to be at. It provides enough of a dead line situation to give us something to work to, while still giving us a viable amount of time to determine article assignments, writing, taking care of photographs, getting graphics and layout completed, complete revisions and edits, and get the final product put together and released on time.

As for the name, I'm all for putting it to a vote. I just want to assemble a list of options. So far we have the following suggestions:

• Spent Casings
  • Adeptus Apocrypha

I like the Apocrypha, although I also have some thoughts.

By doing this through/attached to the BnC we gain a fairly dedicated and reasonable group of people, but we also restrict factions heavily. I think starting it here, but planning to eventually have it exist as its own entity would be the best solution to such an issue.

Also, what level of homebrews are we going to allow? Formations, dataslate, entire army rewrites, main rules rewrites? I am working on the third now and have suggestions for a module for the fourth (not an entire rewrite, but some changes to the psychic disciplines to keep everything more in line/ prevent some of the cheese). I am also willing to test out homebrew rules on an ad hoc basis, but cannot commit to a regular schedule.

Additionally, on the topic of homebrews, why don't we only include ones that at least have seen the tabletop a few times and have seen some level of approval with an Experimental Rules stamp, and then once they become more crystalized we include stamp for Apocrypha STC (or some sort of name like that) to represent that barring an edition or codex change, the only differences will be FAQs.

Finally I like the idea of living documents not unlike the EBooks.

By doing this through/attached to the BnC we gain a fairly dedicated and reasonable group of people, but we also restrict factions heavily. I think starting it here, but planning to eventually have it exist as its own entity would be the best solution to such an issue.

Also, what level of homebrews are we going to allow? Formations, dataslate, entire army rewrites, main rules rewrites? I am working on the third now and have suggestions for a module for the fourth (not an entire rewrite, but some changes to the psychic disciplines to keep everything more in line/ prevent some of the cheese). I am also willing to test out homebrew rules on an ad hoc basis, but cannot commit to a regular schedule.

Additionally, on the topic of homebrews, why don't we only include ones that at least have seen the tabletop a few times and have seen some level of approval with an Experimental Rules stamp, and then once they become more crystalized we include stamp for Apocrypha STC (or some sort of name like that) to represent that barring an edition or codex change, the only differences will be FAQs.

Tend to agree with what you said.

On the topic of homebrews, I can tell you some of the things I hoped to do. I hoped to create a system of regimental doctrines, like chapter tactics but for guard. I was also hoping to make at least one formation for them. I then wanted to create a gladius style formation for the Templars, that gave one time use vows in place of combat doctrines. Then, create a psychic table for each chapter besides the Templars, all trying to convey something about them, i.e., Salamaders table would boost equipment and involve flames. I was considering creating a mini-dex, Codex Renegades, for those marines thrown out of the Imperium, but still anti chaos. Could be changed to Codex Mercenaries. Either way, provides for cool stories and rules. And finally, though it sounds a bit weird, I thought it might be a cool idea to create rules for a Star Wars Imperial Army faction. A friend and I were discussing potential match offs between them and it struck me as something that could be a lot of fun.

I think that making Homebrew rules that made the Eldar a touch weaker could actually be welcomed, I know of multiple people who are playing with the old dex in order to make things actually fun. We'd have to be separate from B&C to do that, though. At least I think so. What say you, Brother Tyler?

I think that making Homebrew rules that made the Eldar a touch weaker could actually be welcomed, I know of multiple people who are playing with the old dex in order to make things actually fun. We'd have to be separate from B&C to do that, though. At least I think so. What say you, Brother Tyler?

Limiting ourselves isn't a bad thing per say. Being associated with B&C does limit us to the Imperium based armies and the Chaos renegade armies... which is like 66% of the entire game right there. I would say having that limit early on is actually a good thing. As was already stated, B&C would give us a built in audience and potential talent pool to draw from and grow over time. 3-4 years down the line when we have a larger staff with a wider talent pool to draw from, and are better situated to deliver content on a shorter regular basis, then we can look at branching out and moving away from being a "Bolter and Chainsword.com publication" and then we can look at covering the width and breadth of the 40k universe in it's entirety. 

I would caution against getting into home-brew rules early on because of the investment in resources needed for it to even get a "Hey, we tried these rules once or twice. Here they are. Use at your own risk" kind of stamp. Like wise The older White Dwarf wasn't exactly fixated on new rules outside of special scenarios and the like. It was a fairly rare occurrence that they had new rules in it. I think we should adopt a similar approach. Do home brew rules when we have the drive, resources and investment in resources to do them, don't make home brew a specific objective and get the resources for that objective.

Limiting ourselves isn't a bad thing per say. Being associated with B&C does limit us to the Imperium based armies and the Chaos renegade armies... which is like 66% of the entire game right there. I would say having that limit early on is actually a good thing. As was already stated, B&C would give us a built in audience and potential talent pool to draw from and grow over time.

Agreed - the inherent benefits of B&C association outweigh the limitations, and that's speaking as a collector of full-spectrum Eldar, Kroot and Hrud. As we go along we'll probably collect interest, and even article drafts, focused on Xenos, which can later be published in an appropriate manner, but right now the focus of 'Humanity Resplendent' is more than sufficient to build the first issues around.

Also agreed that homebrew rules would be the sprinkles, not the ice cream.

Edit: Also, in agreement with Brother Tyler's comment about focusing on methodology while assuming we use the standard B&C format/association. Perhaps simply sourcing articles in the same manner as the painting/modeling pledges? Produce a reasonable first issue from this thread, use that to drum up interest/contributors for the following etc.

Yeah, I never meant to say we shouldn't start here, but having it on the back burners to eventually expand would be important to me if I were to help.

My first assumption would be to have an occasional release of a sister-magazine to showcase Xenos content (which I'd love to contribute to), using the same assets as the regular mag, but without the B&C advertizing.

Now that I've used up my long-term planning/discussing for the day, I'm going to go back tomy usual pushing for relatively fast creation/release of a quick and dirty first issue.

Archived