Hmmmmm Thats true.

If you're handy with GS you could sculpt onto and around the blade (if its not too late) to make it look like an actual Sword of Fire? You could then make the Leading Edge the Propane Flame Blue in the above picture to tie it in?

Haven't really done anything like this myself so I can only offer suggestions :p

If you want the blade to be the source then you'll want to blend the yellow flames into it with a white-hot core centered around the fuller. 

He is looking great though (minus that heretic cloak :wink: )

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rbyxuftwgms/UjSla_2qUBI/AAAAAAAAC5A/sfv43mQcyQM/s1600/burning_blade.jpg

Sanguinius and the Emperor. Burning Blade Bros.

Edited by Brother Heinrich

Bloomin' Hell that model is the dogs danglies... Looks amazing :thumbsup:

Isn't the blue of the flame being caused by ignited gas before it mixes with air?

Edited by dantay_xv

Bloomin' Hell that model is the dogs danglies... Looks amazing :thumbsup:

Isn't the blue of the flame being caused by ignited gas before it mixes with air?

I could attempt to explain this to you but, since I'm not a scientist and dont know all of the facts, I'll point you to some Wikipedia Articles which are probably (are) more accurate than I :p

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1545

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame

What's better than strong edge highlights? Nothing. Nothing at all. Colors got a little washed out by the phone camera, but once these Marines are done I'll go back and set them up in a better environment with a better camera. Anyway, getting some Tacticals done before the new box drops on the 14th so I can have some visual reference for the 30-odd newcomers to my force. Take a gander!

+++

med_gallery_62495_11290_487735.jpg

med_gallery_62495_11290_417363.jpg

looking good dude! Saving up for the new bases for all my guys as well :smile.:

Oh man, with the added height you give your Angels plus the expanded base size, your force will have an awesome and distinct footprint on any tabletop. Can't wait to see it once you make the switch!

I weep when I see these guys.

Good job.

Thanks man! Honestly, the encouragement I get from this thread has made me so excited about the Heresy community. 

Hey bro! What'd you do for the bases? 

I paint the whole surface of the base with Rhinox Hide, then drybrush Karak Stone over everything. For rocks, I paint them Steel Legion Drab, then wash then with Agrax Earthshade, then drybrush Karak Stone so they tie in with the smaller sand. And the base lining is just touched up with Abaddon Black after that so it looks nice and tidy. 

Well, I'm starting to realize I only ever update this thread at around 2 A.M. I should do something about that. After successfully fighting my temptation to buy Sevatar's model from Forge World (simply because I like Sev), I consoled myself with assembling a Librarian from the scraps I had left over from the Grey Knights kit and a pair of MK III arms I had laying around. Again, my force represents a host of Blood Angels post-Signus, so Librarians are back in action. Given the limited usefulness of Librarians whose allegiance doesn't start with "Word Bearer" though, I don't think he'll see much play. Still, that's never stopped me from modeling things in the past! I need your input though, brothers. Pose 1 or pose 2? I'm leaning towards pose 1 myself, but I also do like the silhouette pose 2 gives this guy. Let me know what you think.

+++

POSE 1:

med_gallery_62495_11290_656290.jpgmed_gallery_62495_11290_73620.jpg

"I'm gonna shoot you with some magic now, m'kay?"

POSE 2:

med_gallery_62495_11290_605448.jpgmed_gallery_62495_11290_934.jpg

"I swear to the Emperor if I have to smite one more daemon I'm shoving this whole staff up Lorgar's bum, pointy end first!"

Pose 1:

What about putting the staff arm down so the staff is horizontal and the outstretched arm is doing the smiting?

It gives the model a bit more of a wearied look.

Or maybe rotate the torso slightly more keep the staff arm raised and rotate the staff closer to the horizontal in a more defensive pose, or if you want to ba bit cheeky, turn the casting hand over, so it looks like he is beckoning the next daemon forward to die.

Edited by dantay_xv

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm sad to say that despite my pre-order of Betrayal of Calth, I will not recieve reinforcements for my Blood Angels until next Friday. Rest assured, the Adeptus Administratum will be held accountable for this failure. Until then, peruse my WIP Sergeant of the first squad. Peace!

+++

med_gallery_62495_11290_313516.jpg

Well, those torsos look ace with mk3 legs :ohmy.:

I agree. I'm giving all my sergeants artificer armor and I think it works great as a representation of that.

that is a pretty sweet mini man

Thanks! Gotta speed up on him though. The whole rest of his squad is nearly done. Normally I do the opposite, get my characters and sergeants looking spiffy, but I'm gonna try and make them rewards after I finish basic troops this time around.

looking good dude, I also agree with Charlo.

Thanks brother! Your feedback means a lot to me as a fellow Blood Angel.

Lord Blackwood, BlueBelly1863 and Reyner
  • Like 3

Some great work here brother! Could i ask how you did your Red armour though? Ive been trying to find a good recipe that doesn't involve an airbrush as im planning a lot of Blood Angels myself :biggrin.:

And definitely pose 1 for the librarian!

Edited by Noserenda

IMO the blade needs to be more shiny, it's a little dull considering its on fire and supposed to be white Hot, but that is a challenge to paint! Looks ace though.

And I totally put a nipple torso on a mk3 set of legs for my vanguard squad... Thanks for the idea again :wink:

Hmm. Should I paint it like a typical power weapon, with the lightning leading into the base of the flames... as if the elements of the power weapon are causing it to overload? For reference, I paint power weapons like this:

med_gallery_62495_9255_340930.jpg