WarriorFish's Legio Venator Blog

WarriorFish

It's finally time to get back to my Marines proper, and that means doing a proper WIP blog for them too. There's an in progress IA for the Legio in the Liber if anyone's interested in the fluff. The Venator are fairly old as far as DIYs go, and have gone through a change or two since their inception over 20 years ago so I have a pretty good collection of various models but those that know won't be surprised to find a focus on vehicles and Dreadnoughts :tongue.:

I have a lot of plastic for my Marines to work through (ETL sorted my Guard backlog nicely) but I also have an established finished collection so projects will be haphazard depending on what I fancy. Got some Centurions still in their cellophane I want to try my hand at modding a bit, and who doesn't have more Tacticals to do? To start with I've returned to my HG project after three years thanks to Chaos at the Gates II: Honour or Death. Here's the WIP of Champion Yusha:

gallery_30308_10604_38687.jpg

I'll work on a bit of fluff for him later as part of the challenge, but he also has three brothers that are awaiting gluing now I've got a replacement glue. They're all based on the Sanguinary Guard body and spruced up with Sternguard and Vanguard bits. The chapter isn't into fancy pants all that much, so he'll mostly be green - I hope to get a bit of progress up today :smile.:

As ever any help is appreciated, especially with regards to weathering which is something I want to work on a bit but the focus is on getting back into painting Marines and finishing the challenge for the moment :thumbsup:

I wish daylight was better, makes taking photos easier as well as painting. Progress is good as I've got all the base colours down I'll need to make sure I get a decent picture when he's done, you can barely make out the highlighting on the green:

gallery_30308_10604_4579.jpg

For reference, here is my Captain/Chapter Master who wears the same colours/style:

gallery_30308_10604_8803.jpg

Again some poor light, so the pictures could be better:

gallery_30308_10604_74556.jpg

Put some extra effort in from the highlighting to the scribble script and name that are mostly visible from the pictures. I may go back and make his plume entirely red, not decided yet. I had intended to move on to a Dread now I've completed my Honour or Death vow but unfortunately he appears to be missing a couple of arms :sad.: I might return to the other 3 HG models while I try and find a solution to that.

I'm not sure why the wash went so dark on that but I wasn't sure what to do with it. I might repaint it and hook out a transfer to put in on it, I reckon one of the SoB script ones should be about the right size - that might work a lot better. Or maybe get really brave and try some fancier scribble script...

What do you know, it worked:

gallery_30308_10604_41997.jpg

The recess means you can't make out the first character is an "N", but it came out very well, even the red aquila. Toned down the previous wash with a watered down coat of Ushbati Bone and the pure red plume looks much better :D

Daylight doesn't last long but pretty good progress, a lot of work is needed before I can slap some wash around and get a lot closer to finishing:

gallery_30308_10604_25878.jpg

Not a bad pose might use it when the glue comes out. I'm planning on having the inner plate bits black but I want a lacquered kind of look if that makes sense? How might that be achieved, perhaps black with black wash on? What about a gloss varnish dulled by some matt?

Here's the repurposed Furioso arm:

gallery_30308_10604_18840.jpg

Think it needs a bit more, perhaps a hanging scrolly thing on the front but it seems to fit in fine and should I find/replace the Venerable arm I can put it towards another Dread. I'm sure I have spare Dread Stormbolter bits around somewhere too :)

I couldn't find my Chaplain so I'm guessing/hoping that wherever he is the missing arms are. Unfortunately I don't have the faintest clue where else I could look :confused:

Black with a varnish over the top should give you a lacquered look. Though gloss knocked back by matt will just give a matt finish. So either go for a gloss finish or it might be worth while looking for a satin finish instead.

Ancient Seraphiel is now done:

gallery_30308_10604_101960.jpg

Plus his plasma cannon:

gallery_30308_10604_10602.jpg

A few touch ups and missed bits to do but otherwise I think he turned out great. I'll try and get some better pictures in daylight, might even be able to see the lacquered look better too? Think his replacement arm turned out nicely might even keep it once I find a weapon to attach and maybe an extra bit or two to spruce it up :smile.:

Thanks, simple fits the chapter's attitude too :) As for the script that's liberated from the SoB/Witchhunters transfer sheet along with the one on the right shin so it was just a matter of getting it to fit :tu:

Oh and you know Sod's Law? Guess what I just found:

gallery_30308_10604_20.jpg

I won't complain, better than them going completely missing :lol: I'm running a four Dread list with this guy and I've hooked out an Ironclad box for a future project...

I've done a bunch of mine with the new wrist arrangement. I just put a small magnet (1.5mm or 2mm I think) in the hand and then the same in the wrist. It'll hold the weight easily because the other hand supports the bulk of the weapon.