WarriorFish's Legio Venator Blog

WarriorFish

Time for another shoddy batrep! The Contemptor gets his first outing, where I realise I forgot to paint the shin trim...

Legio Venator vs Sisters of Battle

The Mission with increasing TOs @ 1750pts

Legio Taskforce Dreadageddon

Hidden Content
Techmarine

- 2x Tech Servitors

10x Tacticals

Vet Sgt w/combi-melta, meltabombs

- Flamer

- Lascannon

10x Tacticals

Vet Sgt w/combi-melta, meltabombs

- Melta

- Multi-melta

5x Scouts

Vet Sgt w/power fist

Dread

- Assault cannon

Dread

- Assault cannon

- Heavy Flamer

Ironclad

- Melta

- 2x Hunter killers

Contemptor

- Kheres assault cannon

Venerable

- Twin-linked lascannon

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought

- Ceramite plating

- Siege drill

- 3x Hunter killers

Stormtalon

- Typhoon missile launcher

Sisters

Hidden Content
Celestine

Canoness

- Cloak

- power sword relic

10x Sisters

- Melta

- Heavy flamer

Rhino w/extra armour

10x Sisters

- Melta

- Heavy flamer

Rhino w/extra armour

10x Sisters

- Melta

- Flamer

7x Seraphim

- 2x Inferno pistols

6x Seraphim

- 2x Hand Flamers

8x Repentia

Mistress

Exorcist

Vindicare Assassin

The Legio wins the roll and deploys first, Stormtalon and Scouts in reserve:

gallery_30308_10077_18436.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_51718.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_20727.jpg

The Sisters deploy opposite - nobody is under any illusions where all the action is going to happen!

gallery_30308_10077_3629.jpg

Turn 1

The Sisters fail to seize, and I move up. Weapons fire is ineffective, stripping an Exo HP and stunning a Rhino. All five HKs do nothing, I wonder why I bother :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10077_68599.jpg

The Sisters gribble up, but careful not to get too close. Weapons fire is largely ineffective, the Leviathan losing a HP and the right Combat squad loses a couple of Marines to the Retributors.

Turn 2

The Scouts Outflank, I pick the right side to cause some mischief and hopefully go after the Exo. I move my forces up, running the combat Dreads who aren't in range. Combined Dread fire takes out the damaged Rhino and I manage to plink off a fair few Seraphim. The Techmarine patches up the Leviathan, naturally!

gallery_30308_10077_42592.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_102051.jpg

There isn't a great deal the Sisters can do, I get lucky with saves so it's mostly manoeuvring. The Canoness is heading back to deal with my Scouts which isn't great. The Vindicare rolls yet another 1 for damage.

Turn 3

This is where things will get interesting. Combined fire takes down some more Sisters but both combat Dreads fail their charges. Bad times. Fortunately the Stormtalon swoops in to blow the Exo up which is a load off my mind as it managed to roll high for the number of missiles.

gallery_30308_10077_80063.jpg

As expected the Sisters now pounce, the Leviathan is stunned and the Repentia destroy the Ironclad (the Mistress dying in the explosion). The Seraphim are moving up on their right flank but there isn't much for them to do. The Retributors put a HP on the Stormtalon, otherwise it's all about moving to the central scrap.

gallery_30308_10077_111025.jpg

Turn 4

Change of plan for the Scouts - they go after the Vindicare. Not that he's done anything, but better odds than the chasing Canoness. That aside it's all but preparing for charges. The Stormtalon drops into hover to get patched up and three Dreads charge - netting me a lot of VPs in a game mostly devoid of them until now. The combats go very well for me as you'd expect, Celestine (who bizarrely lacks Eternal Warrior) falls as does the closest Sister squad.

gallery_30308_10077_10045.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_47972.jpg

At this point I'm not 100% sure on turn events - was a busy weekend! The Repentia charged the Leviathan (not sure when) and fell to wall of death. Celestine got up again and went after the Techmarine but not before he challenged a surviving Seraphim squad and his servitors helped out (even surviving). His 2+ save and AP2 attacks are earning him an enviable reputation in combat.

The Stormtalon takes out most of the Retributors but they return fire but Jink saves the day - just. The Techmarine repaired it, naturally. The Scouts failed to reach the Vindicare, getting caught by the Canoness over two combat phases. Not that it was needed, as the Stormtalon took him out with a snap fire krak. The Retributors were finished off by the Leviathan and the Contemptor lost to a melta (I think I forgot the 5++ too) - nothing the box Dreads couldn't avenge though.

After my turn 5 my opponent concedes with no hope of matching my 9 VPs.

gallery_30308_10077_28842.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_28504.jpg

The Sisters were literally dusted off for this battle, so they make my Marine collection look cutting edge! There were certainly many optimisations that could have improved the list. It was fun to field so many Dreads but I'm hoping to get a new unit or two done over the upcoming holidays for next year :smile.:

We made the mistake to game after a party again, I was a bit tired so failed to take and decent shots of the models. Or rather better ones? It was good to spice games up with a different army (certainly not new),

I have plans to field a 7 Dread army as the next upgrade :D First I need to do some other bits, I'm thinking of using some of the BoP MkIIIs for some Tacs but we'll see what takes my fancy.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a new project!

gallery_30308_10604_13017.jpg

I have been mulling over what to do next for the Legio and I've finally settled on it :smile.: I plan to fully magnetise them so I can swap their load outs :thumbsup: I'll also add the Captain in Cataphractii armour, though sadly he's not alterable. A shame as I'd like to give him a helmet at the least :(

• 4 weeks later...

Base coats are almost done on the Cataphracti Captain:

gallery_30308_10604_21871.jpg

Only a few more strap bits needing attention but it's too late to risk messing them up. Once that's done I'll be ready to do the gold which will be most of the work I reckon. Attacking with some washes and the highlights won't take long afterwards :smile.:

He'll get some the the lacquer style black to match with the Contemptor on the shins and top shoulder pads, to help denote the armour's status as a relic from a bygone era :smile.: Cataphracti armour has the same options as normal Termies (or rather, less!) so it can only be a chainfist. A limitation of the model unfortunately but I figured with his 4++ and a re-roll on 1s he should have fair enough chance to swing!

He's a good way to sort the Cataphractii scheme, plus I'm drawing blanks on magnetising the others so I'm considering my options there.

I'm holding off on additional upgrades like better highlighting on the line models - they can be done in bulk at a later date. The old scheme is pretty old, maybe even a decade? I've improved a lot since then :tongue.:

The Cataphractii are on the list still but I'm mulling over magnetising ideas for them. Currently my plan is to aim for my next game - list #6 has a Stormlance Demi-Company and I need a the above two models for that.

Once this game is done I will return to the Cataphractii. There is the temptation to simply glue them and get a second box, but I doubt I'll ever field so many... Very tempting though :tongue.:

Two less models to worry about :biggrin.:

Cataphractii Captain:

gallery_30308_10604_60725.jpg

Veteran Sergeant with combi-weapon (currently just grav option done):

gallery_30308_10604_24916.jpg

Shields are just black on the Cataphractii Captain for now until I decide what I want to do with them, if anything. I'm pleased with how they turned out, special bonus in that I got some pretty good pictures too. Just a few other bits remaining and I'll be ready for my game :biggrin.:

I've given the Cataphractii some more thought, got an idea for how I could magnetise them which I'll look into dry running :)

As for the heraldry shields I'm not sure, the Legio aren't ones for markings so wouldn't even mark it as 1st Company or something like that. I'll probably just leave them until such time as an idea takes me :)

• 2 weeks later...

A week late, here is the batrep!

2000pts Eternal War: Relic

Legio Venator, House Saigfrid vs Black Templars

We meet again, Black Templars... we're going long ways across the table with the relic in the centre so neither side will be holding back!

Deployment

I lost the dice off, but was given deployment. My army is built to close with the exception of the Razorbacks and Devs providing long range support so I push up, using the cover for my combat squad Assault Marines with my Captain. The Cataphractii Captain hangs back a bit, expecting to welcome some drop pods...

gallery_30308_10077_47371.jpg

In response my opponent does the same - nothing to gain from either of us hanging back! I nabbed the best cover too, so there wasn't much to go for but equally none of the units would be hugging it either as closing the gap would be essential.

gallery_30308_10077_46752.jpg

Turn 1

I retain the first turn, which proves to be a great boon! My forces move up quickly and the Edelweiss's thermal cannon reduces the bikers to the Sergeant after the Chaplain miserably failed to tank anything. Lascannon fire freems out and damages Rhinos, finishing off the one that dodge the thermal cannon and shaking the other. A wound is put on the TFC.

gallery_30308_10077_42023.jpg

Two drop pods come in on my centre, putting an Ironclad on the Knight's left and a multimelta Dread behind. Along with the Dev Centurions the Edelweiss is badly damaged but holds on with a hull point left! Otherwise the Templars move up as quickly as they can. It's crunch time...

Turn 2

... which is very much the plan anyway. My left flank had moved up quickly thanks to the Stormlance rules and the Captain and Assault Marines fall on the Templars. Thunderhammer and power axe slowly batter the Centurions down and they are helpless in return. The Knight moves up, leaving the Dreads to my other forces and seeking to aid the left flank.

This works well as lascannon and melta/combi-melta fire sorts the enemy Dreadnoughts out neatly. Things are starting to look pretty bad for the Templars.

gallery_30308_10077_29160.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_24387.jpg

It doesn't help when the third pod with the Marshal in fails to arrive, but at least the assault Terminators do. Though they scatter and one falls over - close to the Contemptor on the right flank, near the Knight. Shooting is largely ineffective, and even pulling in the dismounted squad to aid the Centurions the Templars struggle in combat.

Turn 3

Things are going very well indeed, so short of some terrible decisions and luck the game should be mine. Weapons fire takes out one of the TH/SS Terminators leaving one left which is good, as the LCs will be helpless against the Contemptor. The Knight moves up and finishes off the TFC, with a Tactical squad following. The Contemptor assaults the Terminators and takes one out, but the TH/SS Sergeant remains.

The drop pod comes in, putting a melta and combi-melta at BS5 behind the knight - that's that then! Fortunately no damage is done in the explosion. The fights continue with Templars falling one by one without any way of going through Legio armour so the game is only going to end one way, especially with my Cataphractii waiting to pick up the relic next turn (after slagging the drop pod).

gallery_30308_10077_27278.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_32072.jpg

Turn 4

I move up my forces to deal with what remains, the Templars are surrounded and shot down. The remaining squad is taken out by the Ironclad and the Marshall falls to the Cataphractii Captain (who wants a duel, rather than the relic :tongue.: ). With this my opponent calls the game.

gallery_30308_10077_67625.jpg

Always good to get the Knight on the table, but she's not the behemoth people think especially if you can struggle to support it. Great for attracting attention and being killy though :smile.: I found the Stormlance to be pretty cool, adding mobility that made a big difference. Lots of Razorbacks with lascannons is pricey but I like the extra punch it gives you at range. I'll add some more Tacs to my plans so I can experiment with other variations, but I think I need to concentrate on heavier armour first...