The Singing Nails, a Legio XII Project Log

Guiltysparc

Just read through this entire thread and I really love your method of painting up your eaters. I've been trying to decide on how I was gonna paint the loyalist WE I've been wanting to do. And I think the Guiltysparc method may be the winner

Thank you!  I have a couple thoughts/refinements on my method now that i've been doing it for a while.  It works really well on Mk4 and all of the vehicals i've tried so far, it didn't work so well on my mk3 marines.  The plates are so deep that its hard to get the drybrush in there to lighten them up.  I was able to get a pretty similar effect in the end but did all of the edge highlighting with a brush in a more traditional way.  

Ulthuan grey is a life saver.  The hardest part of my method was having to go back and touch up the white if i got some errant paint on it in later stage, but Ulthuan grey is an almost exact match so grab a pot of that and mix a tiny dab of black in there when you need to do touch up.  It also works well for edge highlights on models where you want to take more time and do an extra lyer or two after the dry brush.  I used the Ulthuan grey for the first time in this way on the tribune, putting it around the carved out sections in the armor and then used white scar for the actual armor edges.

The only real down side is that you have to paint stuff before you assemble it, so it makes it a little slower to play games with new toys, but on the bright side you are always fieldling painted models.  For the most part the marine is assembled minue the back pack, shoulders, and weapons then I use a lot of blue tac and sprue pieces to hold those bits while i paint them.  The tribune was a little difference since he was only 4 pieces, I still painted him all on the sprue but everything was primed in white whereas my other marines would have had the weapons and shoulders primed in black.  If you try my method out please let me know how it works for you.

Anyway, enough rambling, lol, thanks for the kind words!

I definitely will thank you for the advice I'll have to grab a pot of ulthuan so I can give it a shot this weekend I'm gonna do an assault squad of loyalist legionaires from various traitor legions and several will definitely be in this scheme

I received a my latest order from FW yesterday, a deimos rhino, mk2 land raider, a couple books, miscellenous weapon bits, and the mk2 world eaters transfers.  I did not notice before, but on the new WE transfer sheets are little kill tally scratch marks!  I'm super excited about these, i think they will add some nice flare to my units that have been missing something from a paint job persecptive (leviathan i'm looking at you).

Man, ya, that praetor was rolling like a boss in our game. Definitely going to put some kill marks on the levi and I just need to find the right place on the praetor for them. I am thinking maybe on the forward stepping shin or on one of his wrists.

Looks great to me! Love the finish on the vials thumbsup.gif

Thanks!

I have to second that motion the vials look superb. The only thing that strikes me as off is he's the cleanest A.World Eater and B. Apothecary I've ever seen but he looks fantastic none the less.

Thanks, i am thinking that maybe some blood spatter on the smock might make the apothecary look and still fit in the overall army motif.

Hmmm... the white looks quite a bit more flat than your usual stuff, perhaps an additional wash in the recesses would help?

I do agree that the vials and stuff look great though, good work on those.

You may have a point with the white. I think i went a little too light with the shade, maybe a once over in a few places would help a bit.

A couple more updates...

Built and painted a rhino...

gallery_92768_11638_185560.jpg

Then added some of the kill tally decals to my leviathan and praetor in honor of their recent glories. I really like how they are looking and might add a few more to the levi.

gallery_92768_11638_51525.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_4058.jpg

And finnaly, a family pic of the army so far. All thats left for version 1.0 is a land raider and 10 inductii.

gallery_92768_11638_277160.jpg

apologies for the pic quality, the lighting is really bad in that room today, lol

I absolutely love the leviathan. He looks absolutely brutal in the white. I might make one suggestion, maybe a bloody hand print on the helmet of the leviathan. Just a thought.

As always you do the world eaters proud with your beautiful scheme sir!!!

I absolutely love the leviathan. He looks absolutely brutal in the white. I might make one suggestion, maybe a bloody hand print on the helmet of the leviathan. Just a thought.

As always you do the world eaters proud with your beautiful scheme sir!!!

I love the bloody hand idea.  I have thought about it before but i've never tried to freehand anything so I haven't taken the plunge yet...it would look awesome if done well, thats for sure!

Damn! The World Eaters had such a great colour scheme before the Heresy. The super clean look might not be too common for World Eater armies, but at least it allows us the properly appreciate their beautiful colour scheme :P

Awesome work, bro! Looking forward to seeing some more :tu:

Damn! The World Eaters had such a great colour scheme before the Heresy. The super clean look might not be too common for World Eater armies, but at least it allows us the properly appreciate their beautiful colour scheme tongue.png

Awesome work, bro! Looking forward to seeing some more thumbsup.gif

I am so jealous of your white...it's so smooth, and just your we in general are amazing...

...yeesh just awesome

Thanks guys! I've been really blown away over the last year or so by how much people like my minis.

Archived