Renamed - Warhead01 and the Horus Heresy

Thank younz. 
The hardest part has been wanting to sit down and work on these. I had that period of nearly a year where I had no interest at all or I would likely have been finish already... 
Maybe. :wink:

Everything this far has been fairly easy which helps. 

The painting has changed as well. In the beginning I wanted everything more dirty and now I find things are coming out cleaner. I blame the bottle of paint. It's not as watered down as the previous two bottles. Can't be helped. 

More to come!

Master of Signal comes with a special Bombardment and a nuncio vox & cognis-signum. The latter allows you to forego shooting and give +1BS to a unit within 6” (doesn’t work on ICs or Super-heavies though). It also gives them Night Vision and an augury scanner.

I use Nârik Dreygur (the Iron Warriors special character). While he isn’t super-optimised for brutal Praevian shenanigans, he does the job fine. Vorax do the most damage point-for-point, but their 4+ save makes them very squishy. Castellax, with their 3+ save, T7 and Atomantic shielding, are too hard to pass up. They also have high strength weapons, which is what you need in 30k.

Thank you for the insight. 

I completely missed the Master of signals equipment. 

I was looking at the Vorax due to the scout rule they have. I always feel like my lists lack the flexibility I want.  
I may build a unit of both when I am able. 

Update.

No major progress. My first bitz order has arrived and I am feeling dumb, again.  I didn't get a full count of all the parts I had on hand to complete what I though would be 10 more MKIV. So I am a few heads and torso short. I am planning to push through with my 3rd 20 strong Tactical squad. I will drop my Heavy bolter unit and give them bolters. I expect this to end in a scolding or a lecture of some kind from JKC... haha.  Don't get me wrong poison Ammo is cool but I think other heavy weapons for a heavy squad would be a better choice. 10 Lascannons for example, longer range for a unit that usually sits in the back.  

Also. I ran out of glue.  

LOL.

All I'm saying is for their points I'm not really sure 10 heavy bolters with Molecular Acid is actually better than 20 Tactical marines. I'm not sure after rolling to hit, wound and random AP that they will get all that many kills. Wounding on a 2+ is really the strongest bit for them. 
I really think that the acid is better for units with fewer heavy bolters. 

LOL.

All I'm saying is for their points I'm not really sure 10 heavy bolters with Molecular Acid is actually better than 20 Tactical marines. I'm not sure after rolling to hit, wound and random AP that they will get all that many kills. Wounding on a 2+ is really the strongest bit for them.

I really think that the acid is better for units with fewer heavy bolters.

Very true

Maybe I’m just use to the ork mentality of volume of firepower being tossed downfield

We’ll see it works Saturday!

Update.

wip

med_gallery_3442_11943_27009.jpg

Nearly where I want it. Not as harsh as a lot of the other faces I have done.

These guys were what I had in mind. I'll see if I can add another one to this squad. This was the motivation behind buying the head bitz.

Might look a little better in MK IV? Won't know until he's finished. but I think the lack of green does a color thing...words...coffee.

WD117cover.png?fit=768%2C1024&ssl=1

Thanks for looking. Madness to come this weekend. The Legion deploys for battle!

So far no joy on those rhinos. Maybe my freezer isn't cold enough.

I was looking for the easy way out. Probably I'll have to soak them in something. I'll have to dig through the other biz box and see if there are any more Rhinos in there. Never know.

Update.

Terminators unit wip.

med_gallery_3442_11943_95887.jpg

The Predator tank is coming along but still looks sloppy.

I'll post pictures of that later when it looks better.

Your terminators look badass, well done!

How do you paint the greyish black?

Your terminators look badass, well done!

How do you paint the greyish black?

Thank you. 

The Black is fairly easy. You should have little trouble with it. 

Here's what I do. First I prime the models black with a brush and I use Folkart 479- Pure Black which is a matte Acrylic paint. I don't know if you can buy this where you are locally I bought 10 bottles over amazon* over a year ago. (we'll come back to this paint shortly.) 

I dry brush P3 Cold Steel, it's  like bolt gun metal. Next I dry brush P3 Radiant Platinum.

Now we're back to that black paint I use as a primer. I wash it over the metallic, thin it down to a wash consistency with water. I usually load my brush with water and just dip in for a small bit of paint and wash it over the model. I use a large GW wash brush. Keep it thin, let it dry. repeat if you want. You can also add more black while the model is still wet and blend it into the wash where you want.  I also put in heavy black spots and wash again to create the color texture, for lack of a proper term. 

Easy. Just don't rush, let the color dry.  I like that black paint because it is a matte. I bought it just for primer but later just needed a black paint and wash. 

Remember you don't have to only use a a large wash brush. Use which ever size you prefer for what ever area you are working on. I often wash again into tighter sots and recover areas that my silvers have gone into, I put my metallic trims on again at/near the end. 

* Just copy and paste the name into a search if you want to find it. 

If you do try this feel free to drop in a picture in this thread, if you want.

Hope that's helpful. 

Update.

My Bitz from shapeways came in!

wip

med_gallery_3442_11943_89288.jpg

med_gallery_3442_11943_157340.jpg

The rest of the squad isn't showing their faces. I have only primed them so far. Hope to have them painted by this evening. Not going to rush things. They're not in my list for Saturday so no big deal. I can always stick these two into my vet unit, just to show them off.

still have to assemble the unit leader. Wish I had a funky MK III helmet with extra eye bit, would look the part. I'll be looking for one of those if it's a thing.

also, putting a tutorial together, painting this second guy. We'll see how that goes. I'll probably stick it on my blog and link it here.

More to come.

Neat! I'll see if I can find one. 

Update.

What a day! Saturday I made it out for a battle. Out rescheduled game from the weekend before but with a twist. JKC, rayray and Nick, no idea what his user name here is, played a team game, We rolled off and assigned teams based on , closest rolls or something strange like that. rayray's word bearers would join forces with my dark Angels as traitors against JKC's Wolves and Nicks Imperial Fists (40K fists...) 

I won't spoil the battle report that JCK is probably going to post.  

It was a fairly epic game full strength Tactical squads are murderous. I lost a total of 3 tactical marines between the 2 full tac squads. The apothecary in each squad were points well spent. Both of my squads of terminators were killed as was my warlord but in return I racked up JKC's rune priest/psyker guy and Nicks Librarian, Chaplin and Lysander. (TDA death star kinda unit with 10 thunder hammer storm shields guys...yuck!) That took a lot of effort but it was do or die and finally we did. 

Lastly, a trade was made. I now have the Volkite chargers for my Tartaros squad as well as a dread claw! (And a few other bitz.)

I'm out my 3 Jet bikes. But I didn't care for them really. 

More to come!

Those guns fit right in.

I like them!

I just noticed these as well.

710x528_21260148_12026935_1511732261.jpg

Thinking about putting them on MK II's. (In a month or two.)

Ordered another new rhino kit for my next predator tank body and a few more bitz as well. But I hope that's it for the rest of this month! 

Update.

My weekend project has arrived. Will be building another Predator tank this weekend and painting 9 more tacticals. Possibly working a little hoodoo to turn that into a full squad.

Bussy weekend. Putting up a fence out side for the critters so not expecting to finish so much as get started. But who knows! 

I noticed Tactical Squads can no longer buy melta bombs for ever model in the squad. I think that makes destroyers a little better. I also notice that assault squads can buy a power weapon, 1 in 5 models in the unit as well as the Sgt.  Interesting... 

Update.

My weekend project has arrived. Will be building another Predator tank this weekend and painting 9 more tacticals. Possibly working a little hoodoo to turn that into a full squad.

Bussy weekend. Putting up a fence out side for the critters so not expecting to finish so much as get started. But who knows! 

I noticed Tactical Squads can no longer buy melta bombs for ever model in the squad. I think that makes destroyers a little better. I also notice that assault squads can buy a power weapon, 1 in 5 models in the unit as well as the Sgt.  Interesting... 

Tacticals have never been able to get melta bombs for everyone :whistling:

Veteran tacticals on the other hand can.

Update.

Tacticals have never been able to get melta bombs for everyone :whistling:

Veteran tacticals on the other hand can.

Fair enough. I thought it had been an option on BattleScribe. No matter. I have brain damage and apparently Meltabomblexia.

It may have been; Battlescribe has always had issues like that.

Seems about right. lol.

Update.

My weekend project isn't complete but I did manage to paint all 10 Tactical Marines.

med_gallery_3442_11943_74587.jpg

I have the plastic Predator parts clipped and trimmed and the resin parts in the bath.

Tracking says my next kit is nearly here just another day or two. I bought a tactical squad (MK IV) for the missile launcher bitz and extra torso. It seemed more cost effective than buying all the bitz on their own.

I have no real plan for that new kit I expect it will sit in a box until I know what I really want to do with it. Or madness will take hold and something will suddenly happen... :teehee:

Predator tank up next!

Thanks for the thought. haha. JKC gave me several but only one was MK IV the rest were MK III and I didn't want to mix and match in my unit Just need 1 more for the full 10.

I think it's time to start painting the eyes and work out how to paint the Icons. Looking forward to having them all finished this year.

Update.

It took a little while but there has been progress.
wip Predator and Missile Guy.

med_gallery_3442_11943_133063.jpg

This leaves parts for one more Predator tank and a Tactical squad unused(10 models unbuilt.) in my bitz box for later and I think another 10 MK III as well.
I'm playing the long game and will set them aside until I know for sure what I want to do with them. I'll order a new Rhino kit next month and finish off my squadron.

I think this will put a pause on this project for a little while, I feel like I am cough up and probably have some other models to paint for a little bit. so my next planned update with pictures should be next month when the new Rhino arrives. Unless something super cool happens that I just have to show off.. Never know.

I've been thinking I'd like to add a Lot of War choice to my collection. Our smallest games are 5000 per side. So I have the points. I think we might be comfortable going up even further in points if we planed to bring Large LoW choices. I've been thinking about Which Super heavy or titan I would like.  
Any recommendations?