Renamed - Warhead01 and the Horus Heresy

Looking good, nice to see an update on here, will you be joining ETL this year, and if so, for which forum?

I'm glad to have something to post here. haha. Things take time.

I'm painting for the Green skins this year. I't been my active area and being a new subforum I hope to help us have a good showing for this years ETL.  

Aside from my now limited AoD models, I only have one more new model here,  Orks are my army of choice for 20 years now. And like most addictions I still have a few unfinished models that need some work and bought a few new ones just for ETL. (I would have still bought them this year at some point. ) 

Haha, I know what you mean re-updates, it seems to take me months to find anything worth putting up on my thread.

Certainly makes sense to go with the Waagh then, it'll be interesting to see the effect of the xenos on the competition.

Update.

I'm at a stopping point for this grave artillery thing.

Like all of my models there's plenty of room to revisit them later.

med_gallery_3442_11943_56552.jpg

I put the other model into a soapy bath over night and have rinsed the parts and set them to dry. If I have the time I'll work on building it later today.

• 3 months later...

Update.

Here's some wip pictures of the Arcus Strike Tank. (I think that's what it's called anyway. )

med_gallery_3442_11943_160957.jpg

med_gallery_3442_11943_16060.jpg

med_gallery_3442_11943_32237.jpg

Still have a bit to do. I need to look at my other First Legion tanks to see what other colors are in the pallet....granted it's probably in pictures a few pages before this one, so it'll be easy to see... I just realized that... I has the stupids.
I'm trying to figure out a good color for a back drop to use for a full army picture. I am thinking either a dark grey or a Brown color something like very dark rust. These models need a color to pop off.

I have been looking for a battle mat and may have found one that I like but also am considering just buying a very large section of felt and some fabric paint.
But that's a thought for some other time.
Thanks for looking!

More to come.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

I managed to get out to a game yesterday! We played a 3 player ffa, kill points and center objective.

The First legion preformed wonderfully in that harsh environment.

I fielded the new strike tank and it was a little beast!

med_gallery_3442_11943_15981.jpg

The First legion wrecked much face and slue many opposing characters. I had little faith in my list but was mightily surprised at it's devastating power.

I don't know what the final score was but I think the Space wolves were nearly tabled, we all had hardly anything left in the end so you know it was a good game all around....

Hopefully. The Imperial fists took a beating and a half. My Warlord brought the hammer down and killed everything he came in contact with until his death. Wait, he kill the on that got him too.

med_gallery_3442_11943_34342.jpg

That's a lot of hate.

I hadn't played in several months so I had trouble recalling rules, seems I play less and less every year or it's the same number of games and I can't tell.

My terminators, 2 squads of 10, were extremely durable and fought like legends. We'll not see rolls like that again.

The Arcus is looking good, as are your other tanks on the field. Glad to hear they brought the pain.

It was a little beast during the game. 

I just got my next two models, 2  lightning strike fighters. The'll be in the bath this week. 

Update.

I've pulled the first jet from the bath and have rinsed it. It's dry now.

Note* This model is a recast.    **

I mention this because of something odd that has happened. The clear plastic compartment glass has had a reaction with dish detergent and water, it's started to turn white. Much the way clear plastic will when exposed to super gle and, if I recall, zip-kicker.  I have no expectations that it will return to clear and plan to paint it.

This is meant to be informative for anyone else, they might wish to find an alternative means of cleaning/prepping that kind of recast plastic/resin parts. 

At this point I am trimming flash from the parts and will be cleaning up the mold lines more progress updates to come. I am not in a rush to finish. 
I actually feel I should work on the bases first so I can set them models on their stands to rest through out this project. So that's probably where I will start. 

More to come.

**  I am not advocating for or against recasts, what you choose to do is your own business

Update.

The Strike fighter is coming along.

gallery_3442_11943_61982.jpg

Still have a fair bit to do but I wanted to post a picture update as proof of life.

This one hasn't been very fun so far but I think that's more related to just doing the work and not being into it.

The wings have a bit of warping where they connect to the body of the jet and I did not muck around trying to fix that. I did paint several layers of liquid green stuff as a bit of gap filler. so it is what it is. I still have to paint he pilot and interior parts as well as the missiles, then glue it all in place.

gallery_3442_11943_80451.jpg

I had forgotten just what I ha been doing with the bases. So it's a bit off for now. I'll probably clean it up. Unlike most of the other models this one has skulls dotted on, I looted the cork from other bases I had been working on.

The next jet is in the bath and will get rinsed down and set to dry soon. The sooner I get this done the better. I hate feeling this way but that's just how it is right now.

Last weekend I found some felt for my table. A sandy color that I plan to match when I start making terrain again. I plan to paint it as well. I need it to match the bases for this project as well as my Orks scrap yard colors. The Legions bases use a lot of the same colors but also grey, which is absent from the Ork bases. I think that will be over come through any ruin buildings, matching the grey and only show up lightly on the felt.

Well, that's about all for now. Thanks for looking!

I spent some time last night cleaning it up with pavement grey paint thinned down to a wash a few washes of that followed by my usual black washing and a little bright silver edging in a few spots, looks a bit better, not a lot of other progress.

More pictures of this beast.

0907181739.jpg

0907181739a.jpg

0907181741.jpg

0907181740a.jpg

One more to go. 

I really like the way this dark model pops with this light colored background. I think the army pictures will be really slick. 
I am actually surprised that my phone took suck nice pictures of this model. Not sure if it's the size of the model or what.  

Thanks for looking. 

Really nicely done, the base too.

I do think that there's a missed oportunity to do some freehand or apply decals to the wing panels, however;  such a large flat area is just right for that.

I've been thinking about this since I read you comment. 

No solid plan or idea yet but have been thinking up call signs fro the pilots. Noting very good yet. 

Update. 

Lots of progress painting the second fighter. Needs a lot more work and still haven't sorted out the base.  

Update.

Wip.

med_gallery_3442_11943_103015.jpg

Funny thing. So this had to be painted in because the clear plastic had a bad reaction with the dish soap and water wash.

The last one did as well but was clear again when it dried. This one was white when it dried. I painted it silver then bright greenish then washed it with a teal ink a few times.

No fly boy in there this time either.
Meh. as far as the plastic/reason problem but it's another thing to think about when considering a recast model. I'm not really upset, it's not so bad and saved a little time I guess.

I think the green works really well on the canopy, it's interesting to read about how the recast resin has been behaving.

I had hoped it would be informative if nothing else. I've read about recast resins off and on over the years and usually only read about it being brittle or thin so this was a first. 

It is a bit of a turn off for sure.  I wish this stuff as available in plastic from GW

Well, it may be a bit late as you already have them, but I remember some discussion about the Darl Angels flyer as being a potential proxy, and I think the size difference was not that big, so it might be a possible option to avoid resin.

I do have one, I don't know if I can convert it to look the part or not but I may try. 

I had been used it as a proxy in one game and it was promptly shot from the sky. 

Update.

The last fighter is finished now, just finished the base this evening! 

I have plans to take some pictures tomorrow and we'll see if I can get an army photo. 

I'm thrilled to have all of my models painted now. However, like most of my projects there is plenty left to do.  Lots of First Legion Icons to pain. Squads to number and this and that for the vehicles as well. Not in a rush I want these to turn out nice. 

I haven't had a full army photo of one of my armies in a long time. This is exciting.