BL coming soon

hopkins

I agree, Nick Kyme seems to write better the shorter the story. I don't mean that in a mean girls, I wish he wouldn't write sort of way either. He actually has written some great shorter stories. I really enjoyed Artefacts, and I am hoping this upcoming one can be the place where I actually enjoy a novel length story of his.

Speaking of authors who I have in the past said I didn't enjoy that much, in the realm of AoS stories I found Warbeast by Gav Thorpe to be fantastic. I enjoyed most of the AoS series (which I am aware is strikes 1, 2, and 3 for many people), but found Warbeast to be in my top three of the novels.

Artefacts was great, and I'm glad Sons of the Forge builds on that. It also filled in some blanks that were left with Curze, after the destruction of Nostramo. His Chirurgeon too was great.

As for AoS, I heard a lot of good about Warbeast. But then, I never bothered going on with the novels, after the massive disaster that was Wardens of the Everqueen. Did Warbeast focus overly much on the battles as well or did it actually have some (persistent) worldbuilding and character development for a change?

Warbeast stood out for character development for me. Worldbuilding was also good. Don't give up on the series! I did like Wardens of the Everqueen, but the character development and sense of actually caring about characters took off for me with Bladestorm.  There is a scene in there where a Liberator knows he is going to get killed by Orruks, it is a must read. About halfway through the book.

I still find Kyme's Salamanders to be quite inoffensive. Not as deep as other Legions, the "Vulkan Lives!" mantra got a bit annoying at times, but I don't see the fuss. Sons of the Forge seems to lie the foundation for the whole Forgefather myth so I'm actually quite excited for it.

I liked Artefacts alot and looking forward to Sons of the Forge (not the 60 dollar version!). I agree that Kyme does short stories much better. I liked many of his short stories and he does write other legions like III well which I thought stood out:

Chirurgeon was awesome and I liked Gates of Terra alot. I have been less overwhelmed with his full novels. I am just not sure one can make the Salamanders awesome, I think they are this goody-two shoe legion that is hard to make "cool." With that being said there is something noble about the fact they value humans and will go via great lengths to protect them. Also Vulkan is cool in the sense I think he could wipe the floor with most Primarchs 1:1 if he wanted to but is restrained and noble (except when he goes crazy).  Also Dawnbringer is a badass weapon. Although Kyme does not write about Vulkan in The Beast Series, I am enjoying Vulkan in 32.5k :)

32.5k Vulkan is very different in spirit from the one in the Heresy, too. The disillusioned, tired, disapproving Vulkan is much easier to make interesting than the one who is massively powerful but doesn't really tap into that strength, and would rather plow fields than destroy civilizations. That whole theme for GC/HH Vulkan is great in theory, but doesn't make for as exciting novels as with other Primarchs and Legions.

Vulkan doesn't have a big, defining flaw. If anything, his flaw is that he doesn't want to be a warrior king and holds himself back. But unless you actually talk about him losing control and turning into some kind of Angron, that stuff is difficult to deal with. And to be honest, when he did indeed turn into an Angron-esque Hulk in The Unremembered Empire, I hated him (though I have a huge distaste for the whole book). In Vulkan Lives, Kyme managed to play with that idea too, through Curze torturing and manipulating Vulkan to the point of his mind (nearly) breaking. That's about as much as you can really do there, I feel.

His Legion, if anything, is defined by its dependence on him for guidance. Not like Ferrus and the Iron Hands, who the loss drove to rage and defiance, but more in a sense of sadness and resignation. Which is why Artellus Numeon stood out: He had hope and spread it again, up to the point of self-sacrifice.

Which, in a way, encompasses the Salamanders in general: They sacrifice everything they can to spread hope and protect the weak. Vulkan does so in The Beast Arises as well, especially on Caldera (which Kyme introduced in Promethean Sun). Their sacrifices just happen to be of a far lesser and more general scale than those of other Legions or Chapters. They forgo personal glories, unlike most other Chapters and Legions, in favor of doing the most basic work that most others would see beneath them.

It is important work, but not the most interesting to read about.

Which is kind of sad as they are probably the only true good guys along the Wolves out there. But I agree with you that it is rather difficult to give such a Legion a divergent character like the Blood Angels or the Scars or the Night Lords.

I once started to read their Omnibus but after the first novel and several short stories I'd put it aside and never touched it. That was last year. Got no interest to continue since then.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I don't necessarily think his writing is terrible just...well, meh. Slightly interested in Sons of the Forge but not terribly so, like I am for MoM.

It is - his prose is bad. Most of foreign fans don't like his writing style cause it's hard to comprehend, which is not the case for any other BL author (except for Hoare of course) :)

I've never found his prose hard to comprehend. It is simpler than, for example, Sanders'

Not so - Sanders sentences and quotes has meaning and logical start and conclusion. Kyme's just ..... Even more simpler - Kyme books are the only ones in W40K with which I felt asleep after just 1 paragraph. Boring, horribly written, uninspiring and totally flat.

What you're saying doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You're saying that foreign readers (of which I am one, actually) find Kyme's prose "hard to comprehend" while now you're saying it is boring and simplistic, flat and uninspiring.

I think Kyme's prose is easily understandable . . . it's just very bland and boring

I am just not sure one can make the Salamanders awesome, I think they are this goody-two shoe legion that is hard to make "cool.")

I can think of a few ways off the top of my head.

- The exploration of the Promethean cult and how that clashes with the Imperial Truth.

- Their monstrous visage and how that effects their place in the Imperium. Namely why do they look the monsters that "don't exist."

- What was their purpose meant to be I'm the wider Imperium? I think we know by now it was to guard the Imperial Webway. Perhaps the reason they look like Daemons is so that any potential Daemon sightings could be pointed to them.

- How do their tendencies towards self sacrifice affect the Legion.

The potential is there, the written content sadly isn't.

What you're saying doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You're saying that foreign readers (of which I am one, actually) find Kyme's prose "hard to comprehend" while now you're saying it is boring and simplistic, flat and uninspiring.

I think Kyme's prose is easily understandable . . . it's just very bland and boring

Pretty much. Too much tell not enough show. Oh and the constant repetition of pretty much any word related to fire.

I expect this book too be as equally mediocre, so I'll be giving it a pass.

Master of Mankind on the other hand I'll be getting day of release. I'm even going to avoid spoilers for a change. Interesting too see that they'll be facing off against Traitor legionnaires, perhaps that's where Fulgrim dissappeared too...

- How do their tendencies towards self sacrifice affect the Legion.

This in particular was covered in a pair of short stories that Guy Haley wrote for the Salamanders in the Meduson anthology.  It was pretty good and showed the hardships of the legion and the shift towards a vengeance-based view of the galaxy.

Are there early copies of MoM? Soon?

There will only be copies for sale during BL Live on nov 19th.

Whatever stock is left from that day ( and they expect it to sell out quickly) will go back to the warehouse and only be released on the release day.

I checked this with BL as I hoped there might be early copies for those who don't visit BL Live. But nope.

Man - how the book should be written for you to fall asleep after 1 paragraph or page? In my life as a reader that happens only with Kyme stuff.

Archived