Poll: What flavour of Blood Angels are you?

Jolemai

Which Flavour of BA are you?  

344 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I had been more aware of the Flesh Tearers when I started, I might have just gone for them.  Every test model I painted either ended up looking bad or looking like a Flesh Tearer.  But I'm not keen to be limited in my approach, so I wrote my own.  

I was unfamiliar with different chapters.  I wanted to build an assault oriented, jump pack using, chain blade swinging force of Space Marines.  My intent was to build a homebrew Chapter based on Greek Mythology, but I needed a starting point.  

I was given 2 recommendations by my friends - Space Wolves and Blood Angels.  While I really do like Space Wolves their CLEAR Viking theme didn't fit what I was looking to do.  Blood Angels were really intriguing to me.  i could make my theme fit the fluff.  ALL power swords would be spears (counts as swords), lots of shields, etc. (back before they individualized power weapons and made spears a thing).  I chose Blood Angels.  I really like the Death Company.  I like the Jump Packs, especially when they were TROOPS :(  I like the Sanguinary Guard.  All of it fits into (sometimes gets wedged into) the image in my head for my theme.

I later discovered the Minotaurs Chapter, and while I LOVE the Minotaurs Iconography, they are a vanilla Space Marine build, and I didn't want that, so I stayed Blood Angels, but I mixed the Iconography, lots of blood drops, Bull heads, Greek Key, etc.  Can be a bit of a mess, but it is MY mess :)

Troops are a shiny Bronze, DC is a DARK Bronze, SG will still be Gold - All a nice consistent metallic theme.  Sang Priest are more Bone then white.  Minotaur head will have a blood drop added when needed - on banners, etc.  It will either be under the mouth/nose, or centered on the fore head.

I really could't decide on which way to vote on this. I'm a relatively new player by terms of how long the game has been about. In the beginning, for those that don't know, I got into 40k by buying a second-handed army. The army was originally painted bright mustard yellow, and instead of it looking like the lamenters, it was more the magic school bus army. Little did I know how much trouble I had gotten myself into.

It took me the better part of a year to strip the paint off those models and repaint them in a much darker red, I was actually confused by the interpretation of Heavy units and the like and painted my terminators with devastator blue helmets. For the most part I salvaged what I could. When the new codex came out I had fallen in absolute love with the Carmine Blades. They were Blood Angels, and have so much unknown mystic about them. I later decided, that I wanted to play Carmine Blades, and not my home-brew chapter anymore. I still have all of my back story and the like for the Vermillion Tears, and they will always hold a place in my heart. And I may even splash them into my Carmine Blades as allies/for campaigns.

However, with my current level of skill, and actually knowing what the hell I'm doing, I've fully dedicated myself to the Carmine Blades. Unfortunately when I first started 5th edition, It was with a group of hyper competitive players that had been a tight knit group for 15+ years already, and I always felt a little like an out cast etc.

Now, though, I've found my own Hobby Path. Through the support of this, and many other hobby outlets, I'm much more confident in creating the story of the Carmine Blades, besides, since I finished Hazriel for the ETL I have absolutely fallen in love with him as the Reclusiarch of the Carmine Blades. Now that he is a Death Company Chaplain instead, I still will always have him equipped with a "counts-as" Fury of Baal, because that is what makes him unique to me, and there is so much untapped potential.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

I'm not sure if this is a sign of some sort or not, but, even though I recently made a topic regarding switching my Blood Drinkers over to Angels Encarmine? I somehow automatically selected Blood Drinkers for this poll.....

It is simply meant to be.

I have collected Blood Angels since Angels of Death era in my youth, they were my first 'proper' army and when I returned to the hobby I picked up where I left off with Sanguinius' sons, focusing on Tychos 3rd Company. I was getting drawn more and more into the vampire side of the theme than the angel side of the theme, so my characters that I was creating were darker, more and more away from the what I considered Blood Angels. Then I discovered Chaplain Desmodus' Flesh Eaters and fell in love with them. In the end, with a little gentle peer pressure from another frater Chaplain Hiltraud, I started reprinting my Blood Angels as Flesh Eaters in the original rogue trader scheme.

What I like about them is the freedom to do basically what I like with them as they have little official fluff. Yes they are darker, yes they are borderline psychos (okay, maybe more so!) and yes they have a much stronger vampire theme than the parent chapter. They are heavily influenced by Desmodus' stuff, yet with my own twist. I even wrote an IA for them using aspects of Desmodus' stuff with a sprinkling of my own stuff. They polerize opinion, some love, some hate but that is part of the hobby and as long as I enjoy that's the point :)

I haven't updated the army in a while as I have been concentrating on my Black Legion, but they still get used ofc I will return to the fold when my muse returns. Plans are to hopefully upgrade them with 32mm bases, and add more Death Company to use the new Angels Blade formation, paint my Deredeo and add another Dakka Baal to allow for a squadron.

"Pray for death, heretics"

EDIT - if I was to start anew I would either do Knights of Blood or Flesh Tearers, so that kind of shows where my head is at!

Edited by Midnight Runner

I loved the Death Company when I first started 40k in 2nd ed. But my best friend had Blood Angels, so I went Orks instead.

Few years ago I *almost* started an army. Green-stuff press-molded several dozen Blood Drinker shoulder pads and everything. Then got distracted by Khorne, never built or painted them.

Then a year or so ago a mate stopped playing, and sold me his jump-pack-heavy Flesh Tearers for cheap. They've sat unplayed with until Angel's Blade, which inspired me to repaint all the assault squads as Death Company. So now I have 30-odd Flesh Tearers Death Company marines: only a very basic paint scheme, not my finest hour, but they'll work on the tabletop. It's been a fun month! Might even get round to opening my copy of Space Hulk and painting them up as Flesh Tearers (or as Death Company?) next...

I chose Angel's Encarmine because of the black trim after the ward dex let me spam medics and I was sick of non-codex chapters.

As far as I'm concerned, I play Blood Angels but given my scheme doesn't marry up with GWs 100% it's more my take on Blood Angels.

Don't get me started on black shoulder pad trims or bike trims... *grrr*

Since chapter colours have been stated to vary over time and the canon BA scheme was retconned all the time over the first four editions I consider every nonstandard interpretation of a colour scheme to be a correct scheme.

I like Flesh Tearers ever since reading about them back in a old Index Astartes in WD back in 3ed.

I like flawed hero's/chapters/groups.  One of the reasons I so dislike the Smurfs is that they are awesome at everything and everybody loves them.  It's so boring.  The FT are interesting in the fact that they are raging murder monsters who are just as likely to slaughter the enemy as they are allies and civilians.  Yet they are 100% loyal.  They are monsters and they know it too but they still serve the Emperor as his loyal sons.

I  also like the tragic nature of them.  They are dying and will soon cease to exist.  However, even in the face of extinction they rage against their own morality and enter the long night with a snarl on their lips and a bitter fury in their hearts  There is no hope for them so they seek to acquire the highest kill count before they die.  No pity and no remorse for both their enemies and for themselves.  They willingly throw themselves on the flames of war until they will be no more because that is the  only salvation left for a dying chapter of flawed psychopathic frenzied maniacs. 

That my blood crazed friends is a interesting narrative for an army. 

White DC Squad and Sanguinary Guard!!!!!!

Long Live to Angels Encarmine!!!!!! 

I really like the white DC and SG. I also find interesting that there is a little fluff to start and then create my own version of the characters and events of the chapter.

Edited by mandaloriano

if I'm honest, I'm moving away from Blood Angels.

I play the 8th Company of the Ultramarines, which is a reserve company comprising assault marines.

I have picked a point in time some 500 years on (ie closer to 41k), where Tigurius is now Brother Varro, a Librarian Dreadnought, Uriel Ventris is Chapter Master, and Pasanius is a Captain.

I picked Blood Angels for the ability to field large numbers of Assault Marines and to field them as troops.

Now I tend to favour Flesh Tearers for the FT Strike Force detachment, or C:SM (RG) :sad.:

I clicked Flesh Tearers. What happened though, is I made my own color scheme after looking at hundreds... then basically made flesh tearers, except I paint the knees and down as the black color as well. I wanted stars and celestial body imagery, so I use the saw blade as a sun now. 

I clicked Flesh Tearers. What happened though, is I made my own color scheme after looking at hundreds... then basically made flesh tearers, except I paint the knees and down as the black color as well. I wanted stars and celestial body imagery, so I use the saw blade as a sun now. 

Since the official fluff never mentioned the origins of the Flesh Tearers symbol, i personally though quite the same as you.

For me the Flesh Tearers symbol is a representation of the Celestial sun, as it can be found in several mystical/tribal human cultures. In those Civilisation, the Sun is often a reference for Strenght and Life.

One of the most notable sun cult, in our human history, is the "Sol Invictus" founded during the Roman Empire.

The "Sol Invictus" cult was a martial one, were the Sol (Sun) was the representation of a powerfull monotheistic God. (The cult, was the Imperial answer to the growing Christian religion, and the decline of the old polytheist pantheon believe.)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Given the Terran Origins of the Adeptus Astartes Legion, it may totally be possible that the Flesh Tearers symbol may be directly linked to the First Terran Blood Angels whose culture may found their origins in a "30k version" of the "Sol Invictus" cult.

=> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus

Edited by Frater Antodeniel

105 Frater have posted so far :thanks: and it's fair to say that there aren't any surprises yet. Over half of us play Blood Angels, about a quarter are homebrew and the final quarter are cannon Successor Chapters. To be honest, I thought that there might be a few more cannon Successors but the topic is still young.

It was Mephiston and the death company that brought me to BA in late 2nd Ed.Over the years I've accumulated quite a hoard. As for my old paint jobs, well they leave something to be desired. So recently I've been stripping the paint off entirely. Now I've got lamenters,and flesh tearers going. Really excited to put some kromlech eviscerators on my newly born assault squads. Im really liking flesh tearers.Any one else remember that old chapter approved flesh tearers dreadnought army? Anyway I guess the new army theme will be end-times based--the last of the BA reunited in the end. I'll probably just have different squads as different chapters. Who knows, those lamenters might become a skyhammer annihilation force. It wouldn't stretch the fluff too much, as they are a bit more like normal codex marines. I'll need to figure out decal printing for angels encarmine as I didn't find them on Shapeways.

I'll need to figure out decal printing for angels encarmine as I didn't find them on Shapeways.

It'd be worth dropping the designer a note - if it's PGTM on shapeways, their twitter suggests they may do requests (as the design can be endlessly resold for no extra effort).

I'm a Lamenters fan myself, although with my army I'm taking them in a different direction. I'd always liked the idea that some of the Lamenters didn't want to crusade off into the edge of the galaxy, but instead hunt down Huron, the one who betrayed them. Once the Mechanicus stuff came out, I remembered there's a Forge World that Huron betrayed too, and that the Badab War books mentioned a Lamenters strike cruiser that vanished early in the war, and was considered lost. Now, I'm building up my own little Retribution Fleet, a company of lost Lamenters found drifting by Forge Workd Angstrom, refitted, rearmed and reinforced, heading into the Maelstrom alongside the Angstrom Skitarii to bring Imperial vengeance to the Blackheart.

I'm a Lamenters fan myself, although with my army I'm taking them in a different direction. I'd always liked the idea that some of the Lamenters didn't want to crusade off into the edge of the galaxy, but instead hunt down Huron, the one who betrayed them. Once the Mechanicus stuff came out, I remembered there's a Forge World that Huron betrayed too, and that the Badab War books mentioned a Lamenters strike cruiser that vanished early in the war, and was considered lost. Now, I'm building up my own little Retribution Fleet, a company of lost Lamenters found drifting by Forge Workd Angstrom, refitted, rearmed and reinforced, heading into the Maelstrom alongside the Angstrom Skitarii to bring Imperial vengeance to the Blackheart.

I'm not sure how much latitude you get when the High Lords of Terra order you onto a Penitent crusade...

I'm not sure how much latitude you get when the High Lords of Terra order you onto a Penitent crusade...

Yeah but it's not like they are under any kind of supervision.  I'd bet that as long as the main force of the Lamenters are doing what they're supposed to be doing, the High Lords probably wouldn't be suspicious of anything.  That's how Black Templars get away with being way too big, right?  

Yeah but it's not like they are under any kind of supervision.  I'd bet that as long as the main force of the Lamenters are doing what they're supposed to be doing, the High Lords probably wouldn't be suspicious of anything.  That's how Black Templars get away with being way too big, right?  

You reckon? I'd have thought there aren't many chapters who escape excommunication by the skin of their teeth and are then just left to get on with their punishment essentially un-observed. Especially in the Imperium what with it's various factions that exist purely to monitor and enforce. Look how the Inquisition get all up in the grill of perfectly loyal chapters like the Flesh Tearers! (Alright maybe not the best example...)