What do you guys think the sightless helm is best used on? I think it's pretty bloody deadly on the Lord Discordant

I thought of him immediately when I saw the helm. It seems like a good idea since he really wants to be in melee. I think with the right build all it will actually decrease is his pistol which isn't a big deal.

I'm starting up a Black Legion Army. So far I've got the Worldclaimer, 15 Raptors, and the Chaos half of shadowspear. Black Legion is going to be my 4th Chaos army (WEs, DG, WB) and to me it seems like most of the units at Chaos disposal are really geared towards anti-infantry and lacking in the anti-armor/anti-knight role (other than FW of course).

What are the non-knight recommendations for dealing with armor or high toughness/wound units in both Codex: Chaos and Heretic Astartes that you guys like to use in your Black Legion lists?

Leviathans. 1 of these with 2 butcher arrays will set you back just under 300 points and will unload 16 s8 d2 shots per turn. Or go the up close option and take the grav and drill and really go hard against titanic vehicles.

Spartans are 2 expensive and lack an invuln though if you really wanted to drop a zerker or terminator bomb on a knight it'll get you there. The Hellforged Achilles is another expensive shout that's actually pretty good for its points.

If we're talking pure codex though obliterators are where it's at. That or a couple of maulerfiends buffed by a Master of Possession and Greater Possessed

Lashavocs have potential, parricularly within a devestation battery. Combi plas terminators can take down most things provided your anti-infantry fire can strip away screens & bubble wraps to make room for them. Lord discordants can rip stiff up in close combat, though again, gotta strip the screens first. Chaincannons can do a nimber on even heavy targets with vets of the long war. Maybe laspredators camping under a stargate?

But yeah, oblits are nice. I'd mostly point at oblits.

Was interested in terminator heavy, and making one squad Combi-bolter/chainaxe, other squads swapping to cheaper chainaxes etc.

I had plans to do chosen with this loadout but now termies same loadout is only 60pts more, so chosen still lose.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

So, I'm not entirely convinced that Lord Discordant and Forgefiends are a no go.. change my mind?

As long as they aren't the highest priority units on the table you can take T1 to get them in a good position and by T2 shooting phase they could still be in range of  the LD who has moved up the table and be close enough to have plenty of targets to shoot at. They are slightly more expensive than a Helbrute, cheaper than a predator, and can heal a wound every turn. I know Maulers definitely have the edge over Forges but I think they're atleast worth taking a second look it. Model wise I like Forgefiends a lot better than the defiler.. I know most will debate me to the end of days that the defiler is a better choice though.

tumblr_ppo67uq3iA1r6zyzc_1280.png

My in progress Bringers of Despair supreme command detachment. Abby, termie lord of khorne w/ foe cleaver & c.melter, termie sorcerers of tzeentch, nurgle, & slaanesh w/ various force weapons, 10 terminators - champ w/ l.claw & c.plas, icon w/ c.plas & presumed default c.axe, 6x c.axe & c.plas, 2x p.fist & reaper).

Weighs in at around 1100 points. Not even sure how big a game I'd have to be playing to make them all worth running together. Long ways away from getting them painted, regardless. Edited by Sception

I'm planning to use the shadowspear champ for a squad of close combat marines with some possessed bits to represent mutations. They'll be replacing an old project squad of mine.

I know a close combat csm squad isn't super efficient so I was thinking of keeping them cheap with a couple flamers and chain axe and bolt pistol on the champion. Does that sound like a decent way to go?

With a few more mutations they could run as possessed. Alternatively, blood warrior heads & some third party chain axes could turn them into berzerkers. Both would be better melee units.

Otherwise, basic csms with some flamers & a chainaxe champ arent the worst unit in the world. You can certainly do alright with them. And long term it doesnt pay to get too hung up on wargear. A few editions ago, bp/cs boys were great. Who's to say they won't be again? Wouldn't take much for the rules to shift in their favor.

Edited by Sception

I just don't think Lords Discordant were designed with Forgefiends in mind. They're melee monsters that want to get into combat. For a shooting Daemon Engine the Venomcrawler seems designed to complement them much better. 

But of course. I'm only suggesting the FF take advantage of the Lord Discordants buffs as it makes it's way up the table.. along with accompanying Maulerfiends to go wreck someones face.

Do you like the idea of it? Do you like the image of the formation moving up the field? Yes? Then build it, paint it, and play it. Everything does not need to be optimized all the time.

I can respect if your local meta is more competitive and you might not have any choice but to build lists to a certain standard, but unless that's strictly true I'd say in almost any case build it just to have something that works and appeals to you. I personally try to balance my projects so that roughly 2/3 are done with a competitive well-rounded list in mind and the other 1/3 are because I really like a model or the concept of a formation or some other Dark inspiration. They're things that might not see play all the often but I like them for the look and having the option to change things up to keep things interesting.

Possessed might work, depending how mutated they end up. I do like the greater possessed models a lot.

Fluffwise they were meant to be the dregs of the war and, fighting with scavenged close combat weapons and their mutations (the latter being common in my Tzeentchian warband). I'm glad my original idea is a possibility.

With a few more mutations they could run as possessed. Alternatively, blood warrior heads & some third party chain axes could turn them into berzerkers. Both would be better melee units.

Otherwise, basic csms with some flamers & a chainaxe champ arent the worst unit in the world. You can certainly do alright with them. And long term it doesnt pay to get too hung up on wargear. A few editions ago, bp/cs boys were great. Who's to say they won't be again? Wouldn't take much for the rules to shift in their favor.

I dont think its settled yet since vigilus/8.2 additions. I personally havent gotten a single game in yet, as I'm reworking virtually my entire collection. Black legion have a number of strengths, mostly in abaddon, warlord traits, & stratagems.

If I had to hazard a guess, black legion tactics will probably coalesce towards abaddon, CoT sorc & apostle to take advantage of quality warlord traits, mix of big cultist blobs & min strength csms to take advantage of world killers strat, pick your poison for something killy - havocs? Oblits? Termies? Host raptorial? Lords discordant? Lord of war? I honestly have no idea which of our murder options if any will prove viable in the long run.

Maybe a min strength side battalion of red corsairs to feed cp to the rest of the list. Could take one max size csm squad as part of that detachment in order to make use of 'more where they came from' strat, but that many points & models of red corsair models and the list stops feeling like black legion. Plus that's an expensive strat, & using it undermines the point of taking the red corsair side detachment in the first place, ie feeding extra cp to your killy stuff for vets & cacophony, and to your troops for world killers.

Again, though, that's all just guesswork, and not terribly well informed guesswork, either, so heaps of salt.

Edited by Sception