There's one I've seen a few times that I don't know what it is, maybe you guys can help me out. What's FLG?

FLG = FrontLine Gaming; frontlinegaming.org

Hidden Content

They are part seller, part tournament organizer. I would not call them a resource because they tend to plug very specific units and ways of playing. They were one of the groups GW tapped to help playtest 8th before it came out.

They have a very bad wrap here on Baal because they declared 8th Ed BA "overpowered" because on paper we can DS Dante, Sang Guard, Sanguinor, Astorath, and whatnot all next to Corbulo to get ametrix ton of attacks. You can tell they have never actually seriously played BA. Ever.

To be more objective, they traditionally were a decent resource for competitive play because they focused on what "actually worked" on the TT, in stark, refreshing contrast to GW's own pathetic attempts to build lists ("take a Librarian with power maul. You don't need AP2!" golly gee???). They were good for a while and a go-to source for getting an idea of what you expect in the tournament scene.

Unfortunately, since just before the launch of 8th, they have changed quite a bit. They toe the GW party line to their detriment and are either ignorant, or intentionally obtuse to the realities of the edition they helped create.

Exhibit A: "Death Company are better than ever."

Blenderfists for Furioso equipped with blood talons, Libbynaught for a Furioso Librarian.

I haven't heard that one and it is kind of misleading as the blood talons aren't power fists.

Blenderdread - Furioso/DC dreadnought with Blood talons

Considering fists are the stock loadout on Furioso Dreadnoughts I don't think anyone's been mislead before, but it is an old name and made more sense when talons generated extra attacks until the dice turned up 1's more or less. It was as if the model had blenders for fists.

Blenderdread I guess makes more sense nowadays but isn't nearly as fun to say :lol:

Edited by NTaW

• 1 year later...

"Lasticals" was mentioned the other day which is a Tactical Squad with a lascannon - I think this is great and I've added it. Whilst we can no doubt make some up, are there any more known Tactical Squad short-hands?

The following list is all the lingo/shorthand that BA players use for their stuff. If you see something missing, reply below and I'll add it!

• Honour Guard - A now defunct unit, it refers to a Command Squad today

As far as lore is concerned, our Honour Guard is the Sanguinary Guard.

Our codex entry Honour Guard is defunct, but the Command Squad is also defunct, in every codex. Command Squads have broken down in Company Veterans, Company Champion, Company Ancient, and Sanguinary Novitiate.

Golden Shower - Null deployment tactic used in conjunction with Nipplewing

Ok I know I've been out of the loop for a while but.. Wat?!..

An extremely niche idea used in the previous edition. Quite likely someone was having a laugh but it's daft enough to be legit considering Necrons had a "French breakfast" build...

<p>

The following list is all the lingo/shorthand that BA players use for their stuff. If you see something missing, reply below and I'll add it!

Our codex entry Honour Guard is defunct, but the Command Squad is also defunct, in every codex. Command Squads have broken down in Company Veterans, Company Champion, Company Ancient, and Sanguinary Novitiate.

Very true, but it was accurate at the time of writing. Will likely leave it in and add a few tweaks as BA Honour Guard was a thing from 2nd through to 5th edition.

<p>

Very true, but it was accurate at the time of writing. Will likely leave it in and add a few tweaks as BA Honour Guard was a thing from 2nd through to 5th edition.

In Angels Blade, Aphael had his own personal command/honour guard. They were basically his squad. They road in I

His rhino, and his company champion protected him from death. So while the sanguinary guard are our honor guard, there is still relevancy to the unit.

Golden Shower - Null deployment tactic used in conjunction with Nipplewing

Ok I know I've been out of the loop for a while but.. Wat?!..

An extremely niche idea used in the previous edition. Quite likely someone was having a laugh but it's daft enough to be legit considering Necrons had a "French breakfast" build...

It was in 5th where Dante also made the Nipplewing troops.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

This topic brings back memories :biggrin: We don't see (m)any of these terms used anymore, I recall the old Blood Rodeo days, but I guess bikes have fallen out of fashion? Maybe we need an update for 9th ed? Even Nipplewing, which seems to be the standard for BA tourney armies these days, doesn't see any use. 

13 minutes ago, Xenith said:

I recall the old Blood Rodeo days, but I guess bikes have fallen out of fashion?

IIRC bikes were really good in 7th edition as a delivery mechanism for Grav Guns that counted as stationary. They could bring a lot of firepower to bear quite quickly that put a lot of hurt on things like Wraithknights and other Titanic Creatures that were very hard to kill back then.

When 8th dropped, Grav Guns got a lot weaker and other sources of mobile firepower came to the fore.

2 hours ago, Leonaides said:

With assault ramps back, will we have the return of raider-rush?

Quite possibly but I think we need that less than other Chapters. Our Sanguinary Guard, Death Company etc can get to grips with the enemy under their own steam. I think Raider Rush will benefit armies like Wolves more who traditionally have fewer Jump Pack units.

Then again, 10th will be an entirely new meta so anything is possible.