Raven Guard Resolutions

Cordova

Whilst not a particularly vigorous poster, I have lurked here a while now and with the New Year upon us, I thought I would try to start up a bit of a dialogue. I've been on lots of forums for many a year, but the vibe here is particularly supportive so I thought this might gain some traction. I've done this elsewhere as a bit of a challenge so let's see how it goes...

I am not a very good hobbyist. My time is limited and I find painting can be laborious. Hence, it takes me a millenia to complete any army.

As a result, I find that competitions or friendly blogs etc help keep me motivated, which is sort of the purpose of this.

That said, I have been building up for years and most of my Raven Guard are sorted - just some odds and ends here to finish it off. With 8th being fairly fresh, and this being a New Year, my Resolution this year is to finalise the painting on this list:

++ Brigade Detachment +9CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [120 PL, 1999pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 165pts]
Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun
Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 165pts]
Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
4x Hellblaster
Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 121pts]: Jump Pack, Plasma pistol, Raven's Fury, Thunder hammer

Captain [5 PL, 94pts]: Combi-plasma, Power axe

Captain [5 PL, 76pts]: Chainsword, Storm bolter

+ Elites +

Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 160pts]: Jump Pack
Space Marine Veteran: 2x Plasma pistol
Veteran Sergeant: 2x Plasma pistol

Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 160pts]: Jump Pack
Veteran Sergeant: 2x Plasma pistol

Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 90pts]: Jump Pack
Space Marine Veteran: 2x Chainsword
Veteran Sergeant: 2x Chainsword

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 101pts]: Jump Pack
2x Space Marine
Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Space Marine w/Special Weapon
Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Plasma pistol

Assault Squad [6 PL, 101pts]: Jump Pack
2x Space Marine
Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: Assault bolter, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
3x Scout w/Boltgun
Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
3x Scout w/Boltgun
Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Scout Squad [6 PL, 75pts]
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle
4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

Scout Squad [6 PL, 75pts]
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle
4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 93pts]
3x Space Marine
Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 93pts]
3x Space Marine
Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

----

Now, with a year to do this, I'm hoping I achieve it... I intend to update this as things go on.

Do any of you have any burning hobby resolutions you wish to complete?

Cordova you are braver then I am (just over 20 years playing sisters of battle/Adepta Sororitas and they still are not done and I have 13,000 pts of just Sisters)....I wish you the best in this painting endeavor.

I’d guess My resolution would be to actually complete one of the ravenspire group build paint logs this New Year or to finish either the 10th Co or 5th Co (all Primaris Marines) Raptors portion of my all Raptors Strike Force.

I'd like to finish off my Raven Guard. Probably paint it up to 3 minimum colours and then get someone to spruce it up. I lack the hobby stamina/patience for that kinda thing.

I think this is my phase 1 goal too!

Then go back and get all the camo done. Fortunately I dont plan on doing my Primaris in camo. ;) :D

Man that’s a list!

You may want to do a couple of test runs to try a few black painting recipes to find a way to produce results you like in quick time? At the rate I paint I think my toddler would be retired before I was done with what you’ve set out!

Nice!

For my Devastator Sergeants, I model them with a Chainsword, and either pointing or holding an Auspex, and a holstered pistol on the right hip. That way, yes, they have a pistol, but it can be any kind of pistol. The Chainsword gives him a 3rd attack, which will come in handy if they get charged.

Love the gunslinger vanguard, but make at least 5 with Lightning Claws. They are fluffy, and really shine next to Shrike.

I would keep the Master Crafted Boltgun on the Captain, because -1 AP and 2D is sweet. Extra shots are nice, but Storm Bolters are for squad Sergeants this edition. Same with the Lieutenant, keep his Bolter, and a Chainsword gives him that extra attack hitting on 2s. I often swap the Chainsword for the Teeth of Terra, which is terrifying. Give him a Jump Pack and let him go in with the other jump packs, or let him go on foot and babysit your Lascannons. Lost count of the dirty looks I have gotten for rerolling 1s to wound with my Lascannons.

Other than that, go for it, I wish you luck.

Update...

Everything is pretty much built - I need a holstered boltgun to finish off a Captain, then that's all...

The pile is somewhat daunting.

I will endeavour to borrow a camera from the Mrs, and try to take some images. Make this a blog of sorts - hopefully that'll keep me from despair.

EDIT: 

I have also decided to magnetise some Lightning Claws, because, y'know, I didn't have enough to do.

Edited by Cordova

So, I have built a pile, and now my pile is increasing...

The 2 sniper scout squads, Inceptors, Hellblasters, 3 Vanguard Veterans are ready.

Side note - I hate the plastic flying stands for the Inceptors - any of you guys use other things?

Here is a poor image of the enormity of the task.

gallery_68825_13508_4191.jpg

Extra side note: I do have a fully painted force already, but it is just not at all 8th friendly.. hence this mental task.

Side note - I hate the plastic flying stands for the Inceptors - any of you guys use other things?

Yep. Got annoyed when the first unit regularly broke off, so I use the standard LandSpeeder pins for every unit that follows. Just have to drill holes in bases and models.

http://abload.de/img/aimg_4024p4pp5.jpg

Edited by MajorNese

Damn dude... you sure love some plasma!  

Always have - all my tactical marines and my Space Wolves have always had as much plasma as possible...something about firing miniatures suns at people that sounds fun. The plasma pistols are largely because this edition they are actually more useful...

Yep. Got annoyed when the first unit regularly broke off, so I use the standard LandSpeeder pins for every unit that follows. Just have to drill holes in bases and models.

http://abload.de/img/aimg_4024p4pp5.jpg

That's a great idea - I think I'll try that. Cheers!

Had an absolute nightmare today.

Due to my own reckless idea of magnetising all of my Vanguard, I decided to batch magnetise them. In doing so, I changed the order I mark magnets (using Sharpie) to be more efficient. As I usually only magnetise key things, I mark both matching magnet poles with black crosses - the crosses face out and then I stick in the other side.

Trying to save time, I reversed this, marking the side that needed sticking in...this worked for the first 2. Then I forgot. I only realised later, when I went to reattach the arms, and they all bounced off. Joy. Wasted a chunk of time...and lightning claws.

Anyway. Side note:

My army are not painted as Raven Guard as, aside from Space Wolves, I have always painted using a Successor scheme for every army I have ever had - Sons of Orar, Angels of Vigilance and my Dark Eagles.

Now, the most recent FAQ states that:

Q: Can successor Chapters use the Warlord Traits of their
founding Chapter?
A: No.

This sort of kiboshes my army, as the RG trait is what my Captain is built around, and my Shrike-alike. So, my question, gents, is how do you feel about this? Should I turn to the black or stick with my existing colours (and the models I already have painted) and just be like 'They're Raven Guard but grey'?

They're Raven Guard but grey.

Seriously, it's just a game. Anyone needing to bust your chops should be avoided for the sake of fun.

Tournaments though, may depend so be mentally prepared to sit one or two out.

Update.

Almost all of the magnetisation has been completed - despite me being an idiot...

Now I just have to paint like a bazillion arms. Bleurgh.

gallery_68825_13508_759.jpg

So - now for some assistance...

I am a man of one book. I have always tried to only play with the main codex and now that the rules say I can't be Raven Guard...

What trait/relic would be most useful in the army list above?

I have been thinking either: Teeth of Terra and the Sword of the Imperium, to make him a bit more choppy choppy.

Or

Armor Indomitus and something else - to mitigate the fact that he will be facing overwatch...

Any ideas guys?

Counts-as Raven Guard?

Whilst my friends are all good with this, I have 2 guys I play who are sticklers for things and I would like to face them on-the-level as it were.  (And whilst sticklers, they are good fun to play against, so I don't mind - you learn more from sticklers for rules...)

By the looks and sounds of your list youre more or less RG except in name? So just say your RG when playing those two. There are no rules that require marines to be painted certain colours to be specific chapters. Even tournaments allow for Ultrascars and the likes. In 7th I went up against a player who played his night lords as RG because he liked the rules. All the models were kitted appropriately it was just his colour scheme that wasn't black and white.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress:  All constructions complete and primed.

Unfortunately, due to smashing my hand up at the gym, I haven't laid any paint down - so I am behind schedule...

However, I have used the time to sort out some of the gaps in the lore of my force - most of which I have hashed out. I will post it, but once I start placing images here...

Now, a quick question. I have a few tweaks to make to the list as I want to make it fit.

I have either 2x Plasma Pistol Vanguards or 2x LClaw Vanguards as squad variants. The difference is 10 points per squad (20 in total). I have also culled my 2 Captains to basic MC boltguns. This frees up a few little points here and there.

I also am considering swapping the Tac Marines to 2 squads of Intercessors - saving 4 points and fitting a bit with the lore of my force.

This random dribbling of points annoys me - it comes to about 41 points if I make all the point saving swaps.

What little points scrapers can you guys think of, that I can tag into a list if needed. I'm thinking Armorium Cherubs or Meltabombs? Basically, stuff I can drop in and switch out depending on the list... any thoughts?

What little points scrapers can you guys think of, that I can tag into a list if needed. I'm thinking Armorium Cherubs or Meltabombs? Basically, stuff I can drop in and switch out depending on the list... any thoughts?

How about a 2 man Company Veteran Squad? You can run them either with bolter and chainsword or throw in storm bolters if you've got a few more spare points. I'm considering such a unit for a couple of reasons (i) it's a small cheapy unit to sit on an objective (ii) it's another unit on the ground to let me put another into tactical reserve.