++Take Their Skulls! Daemons of Khorne Thread++

Khornestar

Vitw1nO.jpg

EwKYEMKl.png

E2AnqpHl.png

Figured it’s the right time for a dedicated thread to the bloodfather and his progeny, with the new codex and all.

Though there’s nothing OP, I’m frankly excited to just use my models with rules that don’t totally suck. Just about everything got better or cheaper, with the exception of bloodcrushers. We have fun new combos and options that we just didn’t have before. We can deep strike stuff now (for the moment, including daemons from CSM lists)!

Any fun plans/projects in the works? I’m assembling my hordes of bloodletters in anticipation of deep striking ‘em in the enemy’s face. Gonna build my brass scorpion after, and do the same with him. :smile.: At some point, gonna paint my Bloodthirster of insensate rage. Gonna save up for Skarbrand, too.

Exciting! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Edited by Juggernut

I'm in a local tourney with first place prize of $1000 CAD in-store credit, and its looking good for me to take it. If I win, I'm planning on using some of it to start a Khone daemon army. What I'm thinking is this:

Khone Start collecting! x2

Bloodletters                  x2

Bloodthister

Daemon Prince

With the new rules getting out, what do you guys think of this as a starting point? keep in mind, as this is a second/third army, rule of cool is means more than normal!

I'm gonna magnetize the thrones/skullcannnons, so I have some heralds or ranged firepower if needed.

I'll definitely be dusting off the old Khorne Daemons! Already have 5k points painted (though it's going to be a bit less now with the points drops).

Some things I'm interested in trying out:

• Bloodletter Daemonbomb. 30 Bloodletters, Instrument, Banner of Blood (1CP). Deep strike them for another 2CP. Even if they land out of locus range from a character. they still have an 83% chance of successfully charging. Within locus range, they have a 97% chance of charging.
  • Bloodthirster with Armour of Scorn and the 6+ FNP trait. Might even survive long enough to reach the enemy...maybe.
  • A 'Bloodthirster Lite' Daemon Prince with Skullreaver. Screen with Flesh Hounds for extra survivability.

One thing I've noticed though is that Daemons seem to rely heavily on stratagems, so you'll very much need to get as many CPs as you can. You should be able to fit a Brigade in 2000pts, with a bit of squeezing.

Very keen to try this out.

Any thoughts on if the Blood Throne would be worth taking?

I'm not a fan, it doesn't really seem like it does much for the army that a Juggernaut herald doesn't already do.

Be interested to see if anyone else comes up with a use for it, though.

Not a fan of it either, Blood Throne in my opinion serves no real purpose in 40K and AoS other than being a potential large base to work with for AoE effects. Though realistically speaking if that's what you want most of the time a Bloodthirster will be a better choice, deepstriked that is.

Now having said that the Blood Throne/Skullcannon kit is still great. You can make a Skullcannon which is okay for both systems, use the Herald as a Herald on a seperate base and use the Throne piece for your custom obectives. Just put it on top of a pile of skulls.

It's just a shame that in my opinion the sculpt itself just doesn't look cool enough. It's not a clear monster or vehicle. I have this issue with the Lord of Skulls too. Some older Khorne designs look quite strange. Even if it's a hommage to the old stuff.

Edited by Commissar K.

I share that sentiment. Some buff that applies to all KHORNE units (not just daemons) would be flavorful and interesting, but alas...

Interesting but unrelated thought, with the new Deep Strike stratagem we can finally have a decent enough way of getting large units of Possessed up the board. Though, for the points, Bloodletters are probably better. *shrug* Just a thought.

Edited by Juggernut

Also wanted to highlight it here, but the deepstriking of a Lord of Skulls isn't even the funniest part of it all.

What's even better is that if Grey Knights, specifically them, kill your Daemon unit it can return for 2CP, full wounds and everything xD

Khorne is laughing. Lord of skulls, Lord of Skulls, LORD OF SKULLS!

Edited by Commissar K.

Any rumors surface of point cost changes for Khorne units, yet?

Karanak down to 70pts

Flesh Hounds down to 15pts each

Skull Cannon down to 100pts

Those are the only ones I'm aware of. Bloodcrushers unfortunately remained the same.

These are all exciting. Skarbrand went down to the same cost as regular BTs too if I recall correctly from the leaks. 

Comparing a Skull Cannon to a Leman Russ would be interesting. I'm 75% sure the tanks cost more, but get to fire twice and have a crazy amount of options. Is there a significant difference in their points/PL vs battlefield role? We'll have to see, but probably not. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that Skarbrand did get a bit weaker also. Units are not automatically stuck in combat. I believe they now have to do a Morale check on 3d6 pick the highest two... More on that in the MiniWarGaming Codex review Youtube video, which is pretty easy to find :) 

All in all I think Khorne is pretty well set up but I'm also probably going for "Daemonkin" mixing the best Khorne CSM units with Khorne Daemon units to create a Khorne army. Which will likely result in two small units of Khorne Daemons for objective purposes, one Bomb to deepstrike and some Heralds here and there.

Can't wait for the Codex to arrive to check it all out for myself, hope it will be here a little early. 

Any rumors surface of point cost changes for Khorne units, yet?

Karanak down to 70pts

Flesh Hounds down to 15pts each

Skull Cannon down to 100pts

Those are the only ones I'm aware of. Bloodcrushers unfortunately remained the same.

Bloodthirsters are my main concern. They either need serious buffs or a point cost reduction. They're good but not 340pts good..

They're more or less unchanged. The deep strike stratagem is a sort of delivery buff, I suppose, allowing you to hold him back until you've dealt with whatever needs dealing with.

If you want one I reckon it's indeed best used for deep striking purposes. But to me it just highlights that infantry (cheap) and characters (cheap) are a dominant factor in the competitive game. What this furthermore leads to for 40K is that you don't really need a Bloodthirster. Having said that though, if you do thake one with Artefact and Warlord Trait as general ONE will be a solid choice for the 340 points. But they are more akin to special characters in my opinion for 40K as uhm... multiples.

With this in mind though I think for several purposes deepstriking 30 Bloodletters will be the strongest asset a mono Khorne army has. Something I think is cool because it synergizes quite well with Rhino transported Berzerkers. If you want to go mono Khorne Daemons there are some typical glaring weaknesses left but I think this will be true for every Daemon army. This weakness still can be negated by swarming a ton of them but usually your wallet and hobby time will prefer the mix. I know my wallet and time does.

Having said that, it's all mad fun. I think the Skulltaker is a great Herald and so is Karanak. I do agree with the notion of the costs for Bloodthirsters. They are not Psykers but their cost almost suggests that they are. If I recall correctly they also can't negate Spells like they do in AoS?

Also wanted to highlight it here, but the deepstriking of a Lord of Skulls isn't even the funniest part of it all.

What's even better is that if Grey Knights, specifically them, kill your Daemon unit it can return for 2CP, full wounds and everything xD

I can already visualise the hate after somebody ressurects Magnus or Mortarion using this.

I can already visualise the hate after somebody ressurects Magnus or Mortarion using this.

Good. Then they know how Chaos player feel facing Guilliman, Celestine or Cawl. ^^

Good. Then they know how Chaos player feel facing Guilliman, Celestine or Cawl. ^^

And Celestine can only ressurect herself with her inferior Imperium keyword. Its a good time to be chaos.

So is that Stratagem useable more than once? If so against a Grey Knight army I could see a super heavy detachment of mortarion, magnus and a Khorne super heavy completely trolling a game.

So is that Stratagem useable more than once? If so against a Grey Knight army I could see a super heavy detachment of mortarion, magnus and a Khorne super heavy completely trolling a game.

Just how many CP do you think will have after including Magnus, Mortarion and some Khorne super heavies? lol

Just how many CP do you think will have after including Magnus, Mortarion and some Khorne super heavies? lol

Well even with just those 3 and a small daemons patrol detachment that's 6, which is enough to ressurect each one once!