Daemonic Ritual - Cost?

Quixus

That's just silly. Thread can be closed.

It's not silly at all.

It's to stop games from ending up being 2000 points of something versus 2000 points plus 1500 points in daemons.

It isn't fair to end up with twice the points worth of units without paying for them.

If they give a unit such an ability they should calculate the "summoning" units cost accordingly, after all the summoning isn't guaranteed at all and poses a threat to the summoning unit.

Do you have to set power points aside in open and narrative play as well?

Does it differ if they are reinforcing an existing squad, to crafting a new unit if 10?

I recall that is does matter. Only new units need to be paid for per pg 214. I wonder if this raises an implication about dynamic combat squadding and that one custodes strat and if they're viewed as new units, should they be paid for?

Yeah reinforcement costs are so ill defined.

Especially as some abilities outright state they do or do not cost.

While others are silent on the matter.

Perhaps combat squads and the AC get around it because the number of minis stay the same. You're not putting anything more down to what you started with.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

Next tervigon question.

If we rule that a new unit of 10 costs reinforcement points, but replacing up to 10 in an existing unit doesn't.

Does The replacement take original unit size into account?

For example. Termagants come as min 10 max 30. If;

1. You have a unit of 10 on your roster can a Terivgon replace another 10 to take it to 20?

1. You have a unit of gants that were originally size 10 but are now 8 due to casualties. Can a Tervigon only replace the 2 lost? Can it take the unit up to 18?

Would any of the options above cost reinforcement points?

Can that take the unit over it's initial size if it remains under the maximum size?

The rules states:

Alternatively,
you can replace up to 10 models lost earlier in the battle
in an existing unit of Termagants from your army that
is within 6" of the Tervigon. Models placed in this way
must be within 6" of the Tervigon and more than 1" from
the enemy. You can only replace models armed with
fleshborers. If you cannot place some of the models the
excess is discarded.

I would say you can't take a unit over it's initial size due to the whole "replace" wording.

I would argue they can't, as some of those "lost" models have already been "found". You can't bring an already revived model back to life again.

I don’t think that argument would stand, as the total number of models lost is lower than the starting number, so the second wave of replacements in this example could still be “original” models. Plus, I don’t think anything in the wording implies that a model can’t be replaced more than once.

For what it’s worth, the rule as quoted does not state “once per turn” or anything similar, so that suggests the maximum is per game. However, I might be missing a relevant phrase from the wording that presumably preceeds “Alternatively”.

I would argue they can't, as some of those "lost" models have already been "found". You can't bring an already revived model back to life again.

I don’t think that argument would stand, as the total number of models lost is lower than the starting number, so the second wave of replacements in this example could still be “original” models. Plus, I don’t think anything in the wording implies that a model can’t be replaced more than once.

For what it’s worth, the rule as quoted does not state “once per turn” or anything similar, so that suggests the maximum is per game. However, I might be missing a relevant phrase from the wording that presumably preceeds “Alternatively”.

That's not what the question was, though. This is talking about a unit that has a starting size of 20, having taken 11 casualties over the battle, but due to replacements currently has 16 models. You can only "replace" another 4, to bring it back up to the original starting size of 20. You can only replace something once, unless GW is using a different definition. When you replace the casualty, it no longer exists, as there's now a "living" model in its place. I can't replace a broken item more than once, as when I do it the first time, the broken item is no longer there to be replaced again.

Why are we discussing whether a Tervigon can take a unit over it's starting size in a thread about reinforcement costs?

Because the thread scope has been interpreted as encompassing some more general inquiries about placing rule generated models on the table; no-one has yet argued circularly, though this condition is perilously close; and the users seem to have remained relatively polite to one another about it.