It's been a long time...

Captain Semper

For something a bit different. 

I know a couple of B&C members are active on the Instagrams. Maybe we could use a unified hashtag for any pictures related to ETL, making it easier to discover other members.

#etenebraelux has seen hardly any use, so we could have this mentioned somewhere in the opening posts?

Wait, not sure if this has been asked in the last few pages, but why is the Forum with the highest score among all factions no longer called ' Primus Inter Pares', but by a new title 'Dominus Exercitus', while the Primus Inter Pares is now assigned to a lower, intra-faction status? Seems like a pretty big break from tradition. I'd argue to switch those titles around, so that the title Primus Inter Pares title has roughly the same meaning across all ETLs. In the new system, there'll be five Primes Inter Pares per ETL, making it a sign of individual painting prowess. While that's certainly commendable, the ETL is about group efforts, and the Primus Inter Pares has always been the title that went to the group that performed the best. Seems like a shame to let that aspect of the title go. :thumbsup::biggrin.:

I'm familiar with Imperial High Gothic, thank you very much. Don't think that with your fancy new Moderati Cedo title and your self-styled Chaplain rank, you know better than us hive slummers :tongue.:

:wink:

But seriously, 

"Primus Inter Pares" means "first among equals" and so makes more sense as a title for the best forum in a given faction.

the same exact argument is just as valid for my point: to keep it as the title for the best faction of the entire board.

3... 2... 1... Augustus is here! :woot:

I was kind of concerned but now everything is intact.

Now, regarding your question, well, here's the explanation:

This year we have revolutionise the event by creating five Factions and three layers of collective achievement. 

The Factions are effectively clusters of Forums: 

1. Adeptus Astartes (SMs, BAs, DAs, SWs)
  2. IFOR (Ad Sororitas, AdMech, Guard, Imp. Agents, GKs, Deathwatch)
  3. Chaos (Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, Lost & Damned)
  4. Xenos (well, all Xenos)
  5. AoD (now split in two: Loyalists and Traitors)

So in this setup the first layer of "rivalry" will be within each Faction and as such each Forum will have to compete against its immediate peers: Astartes vs. Astartes, IFOR vs. IFOR, Chaos vs. Chaos... you get the picture. I thought that "Primus Inter Pares" is the best title for this as it is indeed "pares" that will be competing with each other.

On the second level, Forum is against every other Forum. That is similar to previous ETLs but not quite as both Chaos and AoD are split and IFOR Forums can use units from other IFOR Forums. No the winner of this, will not only be beating its "natural peers" but also a widely varied number of Forums. So a more "grandiose" title would be in order - hence Dominus Exercitus. (I hope my High Gothic is good... :tongue.:

On a third level, everything is coming together and the "peer" Forums close ranks to form Factions and shoot it out with other Faction. The winners of this will be Magister of the ETL VI.

This is going to be fun because it creates the paranoid situation that, among peers, on one hand you want them not to do so well in order to bet them, but on the other hand you'd want them to do as well as possible in order to jointly become Magister! I hope you'll enjoy it more than previous incarnations...

And I look forward for your event too! :yes:

Hello, folks.

I'm new and have a couple questions.  I'm sorry in advance if they've been asked or assumed before.

Does the pledged minis have to be still in their boxes or already assembled and primed?

Do you want to see the painted minis?  I'm assuming you'll be setting up forum threads for each section.

That's it.  If I think of anything else I'll ask.

Regards

PS.  This sounds exciting! I can hardly wait.

Hello, folks.

I'm new and have a couple questions.  I'm sorry in advance if they've been asked or assumed before.

Does the pledged minis have to be still in their boxes or already assembled and primed?

Do you want to see the painted minis?  I'm assuming you'll be setting up forum threads for each section.

Regards

Hey Jbugman!

To help you out - Assembled and primed is absolutely fine, but don't go any further than that.

And you're entirely correct! The good Captain (and/or possibly some other helpers) will set up threads within each forum for posting WIP shots (so everyone can see evidence of work) as well as completions later on.

Hello, folks.

Regards

Hi JBugman, welcome to ETL craziness! :D

As regards your questions let me give you some brief answers:

1. The ETL requires two pictures minimum as evidence of progress; one “before” and one “after”. The “before” must show the minis at undercoated stage at most. By undercoated we mean one colour overall on the plastic. It can be any colour and some people use sprays for this purpose. The “after” pictures must contain the same minis at completed stage. What is considered “completed” is totally up to you - you are the only judge. They are your minis after all... ;)

And yes, there will be a dedicated thread for each relevant forum (20 in total plus the main ETL thread with the rules). Just wait until May 1st... :)

Hello, folks.

Regards

Hey Jbugman!

To help you out - Assembled and primed is absolutely fine, but don't go any further than that.

And you're entirely correct! The good Captain (and/or possibly some other helpers) will set up threads within each forum for posting WIP shots (so everyone can see evidence of work) as well as completions later on.

Just the Good Captain. ;)

This year we have revolutionise the event by creating five Factions and three layers of collective achievement. 

So in this setup the first layer of "rivalry" will be within each Faction and as such each Forum will have to compete against its immediate peers: Astartes vs. Astartes, IFOR vs. IFOR, Chaos vs. Chaos... you get the picture. I thought that "Primus Inter Pares" is the best title for this as it is indeed "pares" that will be competing with each other.

On the second level, Forum is against every other Forum. That is similar to previous ETLs but not quite as both Chaos and AoD are split and IFOR Forums can use units from other IFOR Forums. No the winner of this, will not only be beating its "natural peers" but also a widely varied number of Forums. So a more "grandiose" title would be in order - hence Dominus Exercitus. (I hope my High Gothic is good... :tongue.:

On a third level, everything is coming together and the "peer" Forums close ranks to form Factions and shoot it out with other Faction. The winners of this will be Magister of the ETL VI.

This is going to be fun because it creates the paranoid situation that, among peers, on one hand you want them not to do so well in order to bet them, but on the other hand you'd want them to do as well as possible in order to jointly become Magister! I hope you'll enjoy it more than previous incarnations...

The switch in meaning between 'faction' and 'forum' was slightly super confusing to me! Before, the three chaos factions (R&H, CSM, and Daemons) were united in one forum. Now, they each get their own forum and collectively they're called a faction. Is that right?

Now, when Chaos as a whole wins, it'll be a Dominus Exercitus (which google translates as 'the army'...?).The entire Chaos forum (now apparently called a faction, which holds three forums) can no longer win the same title for the same effort - beating everyone else. I'm just a little bummed out that the Primus Inter Pares badge that'll be in my siggy in three months won't be for winning as a Chaotic team, but for having backstabbed my Renegade and Daemon buddies. Still, it'll look pretty sweet besides the Dominus Exertius badge that Chaos will win this year. :p

I know a couple of B&C members are active on the Instagrams. Maybe we could use a unified hashtag for any pictures related to ETL, making it easier to discover other members.

#etenebraelux has seen hardly any use, so we could have this mentioned somewhere in the opening posts?

We've actually been talking about restarting the B&C IG (Bloodsaint isn't really running the one he was managing) and we could certainly do that with a hashtag (twitter as well).

One last question, I think.  Do I need to plan out my "vows" ahead of time or finish one and start another?

Finish one fully, then you can vow again if you're confident you'll finish it.

The switch in meaning between 'faction' and 'forum' was slightly super confusing to me! Before, the three chaos factions (R&H, CSM, and Daemons) were united in one forum. Now, they each get their own forum and collectively they're called a faction. Is that right?

Now, when Chaos as a whole wins, it'll be a Dominus Exercitus (which google translates as 'the army'...?).The entire Chaos forum (now apparently called a faction, which holds three forums) can no longer win the same title for the same effort - beating everyone else. I'm just a little bummed out that the Primus Inter Pares badge that'll be in my siggy in three months won't be for winning as a Chaotic team, but for having backstabbed my Renegade and Daemon buddies. Still, it'll look pretty sweet besides the Dominus Exertius badge that Chaos will win this year. :tongue.:

"slightly super confusing" is the new black! :D

Think of them as divided by the B&C structure. the "Realm of Chaos" section contains three Forums: Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Deamons and Lost and the Damned. These are the three distinct Forums of the Chaos Faction. 

So the three Chaos forums are only considered as one on a Faction level i.e. when they compete against the Astartes as a whole, the IFOR as a whole, the Xenos as a whole and the AoD as a whole for the title ETL VI Magister. Other than that they are considered distinct, individual Forums competing with each other for the top position within the Chaos Faction (Primus Inter Pares - Chaos) and for the top position among all Forums across Factions (Exercitus Dominus)

So on one level you play against the other Chaos Forums to compete for the top position within your Faction and overall in the ETL VI on a Forum level but on another hand you fight with them on a Faction level. Paranoid enough? The Gods won't have it any other way!

I though of eliminating the "Primus Inter Pares" altogether, finding a different name for the award but it just was too fitting and it is an interesting link with the ETL past. And since when Chaos Marines have Daemons and Renegades as "buddies"? This is a Heresy if there ever was one! :D

C'mon, it'll be fun, you'll see. ;)

One last question, I think.  Do I need to plan out my "vows" ahead of time or finish one and start another?

Vows must be made sequentially, i.e.you do not commit on one before you declare your previous one "complete". You may plan them in your head and share your plans with your fellow participants to ask for feedback but you may never have two vows outstanding for whatever reason. 

I'm not doing it this time, I'm in Canada and not feeling up for it:-(

Is it Canada that kills the motivation? :lol: Come on, It only takes a single mini! 

Yes, Deathwatch and Grey Knights are fighting for IFOR despite being located in the Adeptus Astartes section. Here are some reasons for this decision: 

1. ETL tradition. The GKs and the Sororitas (and lore-wise the Deathwatch) were treated as the militant arms or the various Inquisition Ordos back in the day. So for ETL purposes they always were treated as closer to Inquisition than the standard Astartes
  2. The in-Universe function of those Chapters and their modus operandi is more similar to an agency with a specific narrow agenda rather than the "against all-comers" of the mainstream Astartes Chapters. Plus the close links to the Inquisition makes them... special.
  3. Support the IFOR. The IFOR Faction has certain weaknesses unique to it. In order to combat those inherent weaknesses and even-out their chances there are several ETL rules in place. I'm unwilling to detract from this effort by removing two traditionally IFOR Forums and add them to one of the strongest Factions of the ETL - namely the Astartes. Now, with IFOR players being able to use units from other IFOR forums, it may lead to a significant use of GK and Deathwatch units that would not otherwise being painted as people may be more inclined to paint a squad here and there rather than commit to entire armies. 

I hope the above gives you a bit of insight as to the thought process behind why GKs and Deathwatch were teamed up with IFOR and not the Astartes. :smile.:

We've actually been talking about restarting the B&C IG (Bloodsaint isn't really running the one he was managing) and we could certainly do that with a hashtag (twitter as well).

Great, Imma look out for which one to use.

So I didn't see this question asked: For models that are designed for weapon swapping (by the modeler, not GW) what point value do we vow, the lowest, highest or an average?

As an example my first vow is an Armigar Warglaive that I can swap the carapace weapon between the heavy stubber (227 pts) and the meltagun (240 pts).

So which value is used?

As a bonus round my second is a knight that I have the ability to mount the battlecannon, avenger cannon, reaper chainsword, thunderfist, all three carapace weapons and swap out the heavy stubber and meltagun.

Archived