@Elduderino: Thanks. Now I'll just rub my hands together like a raccoon while waiting :smile.:

@AHoriiblePerson: Thank you, buddy! Good to hear that they are characterful! With so few guys in KT I really want each guy to stand out.

@Pearson: Thanks! That guy is definitely the apple of my eye in this team. I was pretty chuffed the top knot went well with his tabard flowing in the same direction. I also hope to improve the work on the fist in the near future.  I want to try and make it look like the twisted flesh all over the possessed body but right now it looks like hemorrhoid.

@Sons of Carnelian: The spikes are from Blood and Skull industry. I wanted some after seeing Kizzdougs put them to use. They come on a little sprue and I just cut them off and do my best to glue & place them on the armor with my fat fingers. I had been thinking of buying a wax pen to press into the spiked stud so I can use it for better placement.

The beads are '10g Micro Beads no hole 1mm' that I bought off of ebay. I mark on the armor where I want them to go and make small holes with a hand dremel. I mean small to where only 2/3 of that bead will fit and then test fit before gluing. These beads are all roughly the same size but some are bigger and some are smaller.

Hope this helps!

Nice work all around, I like the shield on the heavy bolted as well as the servo holding it up, those mechanical details is right up my alley.

Khornate guy is awesome! Not as distinct as the others but lots of character, he's my favorite. Cool spikes on the legs too!

Flamer guy looks great too, love what you did with the knees. I didn't realise these were primarines until I saw the knees, very impressive work turning them into chaos marines! They come out a bit too clean and smooth to fit into my own minis, I'd totally five it a try otherwise.

Possessed guy looks brutal as hell, cool gs work too. Did you widen the claw? And extra fluff points for making the middle finger extra big haha, looks good for once too (as opposed to the DP hand giving the finger to someone behind him while holding an axe)

Edited by ElDuderino

• 7 months later...

Scream.

Cry.

Beg.

I only care if you bleed for only then will my God be pleased.

-Unknown World Eater Legionary of the Red Peril

gallery_55057_14744_999540.jpeg

A buddy and I will be starting up Heralds of Ruin and I have been itching to try one of two things I had stored away. One of which was a small hoard of World Eater bits that I want to convert into a murder squad. What I really want is a post heresy WE team using a nice mix of bits and using all of their colors (white with blue, white with red, and all red with brass. Maybe one or two in black from being destroyers) using this concept artwork from Kh Edited by hushrong

• 3 weeks later...

With our bolters shout our defiance, brothers!

Let these lap dogs hear the truth, that they follow a false idol.

With our sharpened blades embrace our misled kin!

Let them know the cost in blood for sheep that follow a butcher to their own death.

With your roar let these mongrels know that the Warmaster's own have come!

gallery_55057_13897_51153.jpg

Death to the False Emperor!

---

It's been awhile since I've done this properly but it's time to get to work. Long story made short: I lost all interest in the hobby and my minis, projects, &nideas have been languishing. As I had posted earlier a friend and I had decided to give Heralds of Ruin a run (plus, all them new CSM minis!!!) and now I am hooked back in. It honestly feels real good to build and paint once again. Plus, rolling handfuls of dice just soothes the soul!

At this juncture I guess I should point out the obvious and let you know that there are no World Eaters in this post. Despite my previous intentions I've decided to save the XII for a later time. *This is where I should point out that you should never believe my plans. If you need proof I have plenty of half-done minis and armies in excess to back this statement :smile.:* I had my earlier built kill team members and had a brainstorm: Build my Sons of Horus/Black Legion kill team with some possessed! So this isn't entirely 100% Black Legion...so now we are going to go back. Back in time...

May I present my yet-to-be-named Sons of Horus Luperci kill team.

gallery_55057_13897_201695.jpg

I was really enamored on the idea of doing a possessed kill team before my hiatus and that feeling never left. With the new Daemokin stuff I knew I had to buy those new greater possessed..and that sweet obliterator. Then making one new bolter marine I had my 250 point Heralds list. It's mostly WYSIWYG except for the two second born brandishing plasma pistols but I'm fine with that.

Anyone who is anybody has seen the new shadowspear stuff. And any CSM follower could not have missed the new goodies we got. So I won't bore you with in depth pics of them till they're painted. The only thing I changed on them was the crab claw arm I swapped out on one of them.

But I will show off the FNG, who I am pretty happy with.

gallery_55057_13897_261071.jpg

gallery_55057_13897_20371.jpg

He is a plain bolter marine, but like his brothers whom I spent a bit more time on I am very happy with how he came out. I need to add a few pouches, grenades, and other bits to him and the other members of this Kill Team then they will be ready for paint.

The secondborn marines don't need much really. To me they are already eye candy but I do need to do some greenstuff work on the arm I swapped on the one greater possessed and I am feeling like one of the FW Blade Slaves needs some extra umph added.

gallery_55057_13897_107242.jpg

gallery_55057_13897_59913.jpg

I am looking for opinions and suggestions here regarding this fellas right arm. I do not want to use the blade he comes with and I'll be honest I like his elephant-foot like stump but I feel like their could me more. I've been debating on trying to either extend the claws or maybe do a warped lightning claw like his brother. Definitely could use some feedback here brethren!

Last but not least some paint. My greatest weakness.

gallery_55057_13897_219410.jpg

gallery_55057_13897_149769.jpg

I have plenty of tiny marines I had built and primed for my Black Legion but I won't be using them. One thing that killed my marines for me is the scale but more on that some other time 7 place. What I had were canvases to test paint schemes on. This fella is how I will be painting my Sons of Horus, namely the unchanged marines. They will have that seafoam green color of the SoH legion. The secondborn will have black and gold armor that way I can use them in a 40k themed team (supported by the new plastic CSM who have the right aesthetic for the Despoiler's own) when the muse takes me. I still have the top knot and eye lenses to try and practice on but I am pleased with my work. It's a nice TT standard I can do and be happy with.

Then there's this pic for kicks and giggles.

gallery_55057_13897_140339.jpg

I just can't get over how friggin' big the new bastards are. The have ruined scale for me completely.

---

Nice stance on this fellow, the chainmail lends a sense of brutality.

Good to see you back and posting too!

Chainmail is the best fashion statement, period. :wink:

And thanks Pearson! It'll be slow going but its nice to hobby and share once again.

Love the little quotes you put on your posts, adds real character to the pictures you give us! Love the khornate marine above mate very cool and the inspiration is perfect :smile.:

Thanks BrotherEndcat! Fluff definitely adds more character so I am hoping it can do the same for my guys. I cannot take all the credit though. My berzerkers are inspired by Betrayer41 and Elduderino. Hopefully soon I will get back to work on them...after I finish up these guys and my serpents kill team.:ph34r.:

About time! I'm excited to see you work on your marines again. :smile.:

Yeah, needed a breather, brother.:happy.: Now I am back to see the galaxy burn!

A solid new beginning! Looking forward to see this warband grow and develop.
The sea green metallic scheme works great. With a bit of weathering and decals it will look excellent. I'd mind trying to achieve a smoother surface as right now the paint looks like it's laid pretty thick with visible brush strokes.

The Blade Slaves are such lovely models aren't they? For the hand, maybe a tongue sticking out of a gnarly round mouth with rows of teeth in the center of the palm?

The have ruined scale for me completely.

Tell me about it! :biggrin.:

The whole group look great together, really imposing and the variety in height brought by the Gal Vorbak and Obliterator is nice. With some mortal troops/slaves mixed in, I think the bulk and scale would look even better.

The new bolter bearer is well done, I particularly like the Master Crafted shoulder pad with the spikes and also the knee guards, they help steer away from the Primaris aesthetic. Colour scheme looks spot on too, the vibrant red complements the green well.

What have we become?

Upon returning to the mortal realms our great and vengeful fleet was shattered. Not unlike the ancient wooden ships that fared treacherous seas only to be dashed against jagged rock and broken apart so close to shore.

We have become a fragment of a whole. A splinter.

But even a splinter can have it's killing edge.

-Sleipnir The Pale King. Formerly of the Dreaded-Hand Warband, Master of the Splintered.

gallery_55057_13897_568263.jpg

---

So I thought I'd start this off with a current "state of the army" address. Months ago I got it in my mind to put together an elite army. No it wouldn't be competitive but it would be something I wanted and that was lots of terminators and land raiders. With various list changes it went for a large terminator army with Abbadon, to one with less and less terminators and bulking up on more berzerkers and later doing some swapping to bring in some rubrics. My 2000 point list was roughly:

Vanguard Detachment

HQ

-Abaddon

-Jump Pack Sorcerer

Elites

10x terminators with combi-plasma

10x berzerkers

10x rubrics

Heavy

2x land raiders

Auxillary Heavy

1x Leviathan.

Then, playing around with Battlescribe I learned there was another chapter approved and apparently some point cost changes again. Because I was able to add in 3x terminators (after dropping the combi-plasmas on the others) and a jump pack sorcerer! And still have points for some upgrade. I still need to get the new codex and the latest chapter approved to verify it. So, if I get into proper 40K I am going to replace all those terminators. I was planning adding height to them like Brother Heinrich but new plastic is just so tempting and less work.

I'd love to see the scale of the new terminator sculpts to see how they stack up with my former Abaddon count-as. I was using the FW Abaddon as the base for my leader and I just hope he isn't small now. This is because that poor fella is going to be relegated to terminator champion. Why? Because new Abaddon is HUGE and there is no way my kitbash could hope to stand in for all that chaos glory.

So I'll be getting new terminators and Abaddon himself one day, either when I pick up playing 40K or once I make some progress with my kill teams. In the meantime I have some marines to build and things to paint.

---

A solid new beginning! Looking forward to see this warband grow and develop.
The sea green metallic scheme works great. With a bit of weathering and decals it will look excellent. I'd mind trying to achieve a smoother surface as right now the paint looks like it's laid pretty thick with visible brush strokes.

The Blade Slaves are such lovely models aren't they? For the hand, maybe a tongue sticking out of a gnarly round mouth with rows of teeth in the center of the palm?

The have ruined scale for me completely.

Tell me about it! :biggrin.:

Thank you, thank you! I've got another test miniature on my desk to practice on so I will definitely try to thin down that paint. I also think I need a new brush (which I will use as my excuse:teehee: ) but I am definitely going to try and do better. Need to have a good hand and an inkling of what I am doing when I paint my actual team.

I also owe you a lunch!!! Your idea of a hand with a tongue made me think of those slaanesh seekers with the long tongues. I have some tails/streamers left over some tzeentch screamer that I will have coming out of that hand like some kind of tentacle he could whip around! Big thanks for that idea.

And yeah. Scale. Whenever I see your DG my envy rises haha. I am trying to copy your mk6 conversion at the moment. Had to bust out the green stuff cable makers I bought forever ago and put it to work. Any tips on how you make them? Size you used? How long did you let it cure/dry before modeling it on? Where do they end over the shoulder? Kind of want to pick your brain on that.

That SoH Daemonkin team is shaping up nicely! The new member fits in perfectly, and I love the sea green on your test mini. Would you mind sharing your recipe? I've been having thoughts of starting the 30k version of my warband with a small ZM force.

Thanks AHorriblePerson! I was very happy to assemble them for their photoshoot and have them all together.

The sea-green was kinda easy so you don't even need a notebook to jot down the recipe:

gallery_55057_13897_197678.jpg

Scale color, Emerald Alchemy SC-69. I did two sloppy coats...so do not do that, do it nice & smooth like butter. Then I followed it with one wash of Army Painter dark tone. Then a drybrush of the emerald alchemy followed by a drybrush of ironbreaker. I came across that paint after buying scale color/scale75 black metal for my black legion after becoming addicted to metallics. It's a lifesaver and I love that it comes in a dripper.

I need to catch up on your log my friend. The thought of a ZM force of SoH has me very interested! I love that game.

The whole group look great together, really imposing and the variety in height brought by the Gal Vorbak and Obliterator is nice. With some mortal troops/slaves mixed in, I think the bulk and scale would look even better.

The new bolter bearer is well done, I particularly like the Master Crafted shoulder pad with the spikes and also the knee guards, they help steer away from the Primaris aesthetic. Colour scheme looks spot on too, the vibrant red complements the green well.

Thanks Pearson! I definitely love the bulk and scale going on here and its something that will continue on into other projects. Tired of years of having guardsmen sized marines :rolleyes: Speaking of mortals, that may happen with the 40k Black Legion version of this team. However I thought about the use of mortal operatives with another kill team...:ph34r.:

I am weirdly smitten with the bolter marine. I am also happy to be using 3rd party bits. For years I just steered away from them but the master crafted and shapeway goodies can add so much extra pizzazz to a mini. As for paint I am hoping my next test mini will look better. I actually need to go the GW store for supplies. It's been months since I've been so I'm trying to harden my mind and soul because there will be TOOOOO many tempting things to pick up in there haha.

These new SoH look ace. Really like the bulk and brutality of these Minis. If you mix in some Mortals these will look even better.

May I ask where you got these lovely knee pads from?

Thank you Gamma! I am glad you are liking it as I've been enjoying it as well. As I mentioned earlier I may have to pick up some mortals for these guys, maybe those new traitor guardsmen from Blackstone Fortress. However, I'm building another kill team that may be using mortal operatives as I look over the necromunda gangers.:whistling:

As for the knee pads I got them on Shapeways. I had seen Betrayer41 put them to use so I borrowed the same idea. I can't recommend them enough to use on primaris.

Thanks for stopping by and remember: DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!

Edited by hushrong

Nice work Hush! Quite a nice force you've assembled.

About the blade slave, I'd keep the elephant foot and the toes as they are. Maybe try some claws bursting through the armor, like on those lightning claws from the warp talons.

And where are those sexy bases from? They seem perfect for someone as uninterested in basing as I am:)

Deffinately sounds like a plan is forming, looking forward to it!

And yeah. Scale. Whenever I see your DG my envy rises haha. I am trying to copy your mk6 conversion at the moment. Had to bust out the green stuff cable makers I bought forever ago and put it to work. Any tips on how you make them? Size you used? How long did you let it cure/dry before modeling it on? Where do they end over the shoulder? Kind of want to pick your brain on that.

I'm flattered! Here's a quick rundown. I use the smaller corrugation plates and make a bunch of cable strings I can later use how I please. I let them cure straight as they are easy enough to bend. If I needed extreme angles for a cable I would put it in place while it's still setting. It's not the most consistent job, but the measure I'm going for is about 1.5mm in diameter. The cables end at right about the shoulder, and on most models the pauldrons will hide them. To make them sit better I cut a small portion off the end at an angle so it will sit more neatly. The center bit on the torso is a 2mm bit of plasticard I've cut into shape to which the cables are then glued. To top it off I shaved off the round bit from the belt and moved it onto the torso bit as a nice little detail, replacing the belt buckle with a punched out bit of plasticard. Picture for reference, I hope this helps. :smile.:

q6JDP9y.png

Edited by Markus_

Lovely update!! The Luperci look really good and the bolter marine is very well done. The Sons of Horus tester looks very nice. Looking forward to see more updates. :smile.:

Thanks Ashenwyte! I'm very happy with him plus I had always wanted a SoH force but their color had been so intimidating for myself. Once I get some paint supplies I'll finish him and I am looking to improve my painting on the next test marine. I just got a little sidetracked with a greenstuff project.

As for updates I am hoping to finish these minis by adding extra bits like pouches, grenades, etc on the marines. Then I'll try to add some debris to the bases. Especially the obliterator's since its just plasticard diamond plate. Then I think I some priming and paint will follow soon since the weather is starting to turn nice and warm. Not super exciting but I am happy to make a progress :smile.:

Nice work Hush! Quite a nice force you've assembled.

About the blade slave, I'd keep the elephant foot and the toes as they are. Maybe try some claws bursting through the armor, like on those lightning claws from the warp talons.

And where are those sexy bases from? They seem perfect for someone as uninterested in basing as I am:)

Thanks Elduderino! I am very happy with my team and army. Now I just need to actually finish them. :teehee: The scary thing is there is still more stuff lying around in need of TLC:whistling:

And for the blade slave that is a solid idea. I am going to try and add some tentacles coming out of the elephant hoof but if it lacks pizzazz extra claws are on the menu! It make come out looking like a reverse sarlaac pit but you know...chaos!

The bases are GW's Sector Mechanicus ones. I like the imperialis ones they made but the mechanicus ones are so much better in my opinion. I really like them as I could just imagine my marines stomping around a loyalist warship fighting in harrowing boarding action. It really cuts down the time to finish a mini since you don't have to base it which is a plus for a lazy slob like me.

Deffinately sounds like a plan is forming, looking forward to it!

I'm flattered! Here's a quick rundown. I use the smaller corrugation plates and make a bunch of cable strings I can later use how I please. I let them cure straight as they are easy enough to bend. If I needed extreme angles for a cable I would put it in place while it's still setting. It's not the most consistent job, but the measure I'm going for is about 1.5mm in diameter. The cables end at right about the shoulder, and on most models the pauldrons will hide them. To make them sit better I cut a small portion off the end at an angle so it will sit more neatly. The center bit on the torso is a 2mm bit of plasticard I've cut into shape to which the cables are then glued. To top it off I shaved off the round bit from the belt and moved it onto the torso bit as a nice little detail, replacing the belt buckle with a punched out bit of plasticard. Picture for reference, I hope this helps. :smile.:

q6JDP9y.png

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! *followed by a standing ovation!

After reading your extremely helpful instructions I got my supplies ready, watched a youtube video from greenstuff industries on how to use their roller, and went to work. This may not be exciting to some but this was a huge gamechanger for my hobbying:

gallery_55057_13897_151883.jpeg

*Letting them cure like sausages.

I finally made friggin' green stuff cable! I apologize as I cannot remember whom had suggested buying the rollers (which I did a year ago) but to bust them out and create these links means I can add some extra detail to my minis. I am already thinking of adding hoses/cabling to my Dornian Heresy Iron Hands guass weapons among other ideas.

So this and your helpful instructions, Markus_, meant I could do this:

gallery_55057_13248_92387.jpeg

Thank you once again for your help!

• 1 year later...

A Fire Rises and the Galaxy Burns!

The Promise of Calamity was a mystery to Slepneir and his fellow warriors. They had found its derelict carcass adrift in the sea of souls. The warband’s techsmiths and machine-priest could not discern its origins, history, or even its true name. They bartered, stole, and murdered to claim what the ancient battleship lacked so that it could set sail once again of its own volition. The arrival of their battleship became a dread omen and a threat with its mere presence to any aggressor. To challenge it was to assure one’s own downfall. Though they never learned her given name the ships reputation gave birth to the name she now roared into the void.

The Promise of Calamity. An alpha predator. A harbinger of doom. She would sail the waves and storms of the Sea of Souls with no greater purpose. Like her crew they only fought to exist.

However, in the ocean there are always bigger fish and deadlier predators. And Slepneir would never forget the day a shadow was cast over the Promise of Calamity. It was not the fleet of smaller warships that blotted the false light of the system’s daemonic sun. No, it was the Vengeful Spirit. She was a Gloriana-class warship of such power and portent, the chariot that once bore the Warmaster to battle. For all the glory Sleipnir’s hybrid-bastard Desolator class battleship could command it was but a fly in the presence of a warship rumored to have returned from the dead.

Sleipnir was the first among the first sons to ascend to the ranks of the Astartes. He would know no fear. Yet, with the guns of the Vengeful Spirit bearing down upon his own vessel there was no doubt that his end would find him sooner than he ever expected. The vox cackled to life aboard his bridge. He and his officers expected to hear boastful claims, damning threats, and a litany of insults from the leading warship among its pack of hunters in black and gold.

What had greeted them was far from. Where many warlords in the past had demanded that he kneel and submit, the Despoiler offered his hand in brotherhood.

Though his armor already bore the black and gold of the new legion Sleipnir and his warriors felt reborn with purpose. They would not falter in their new oaths as they crushed their enemies in the legion war and fought against the predations of the Lord of Hosts’ vast forces. None of this mattered to them in the end for this was merely the opening act. Their goal, their manifest destiny, was to reclaim the Imperium that they had created and seek revenge on those still slaved to that realms false emperor.

When the day had come, when Sleipnir drew his last breath, he would never forget the day Abaddon Despoiler had offered him brotherhood.

He would never forget that the most feared and dreaded soul to curse the Imperium had given him purpose once more.

---

gallery_55057_13897_143748.jpeg

gallery_55057_13897_210285.jpeggallery_55057_13897_214352.jpeg

gallery_55057_13897_301047.jpeg

*Still more to do.*

Wow. Just now catching up on all the Black Legion goodness and your great literary work that accompanies it all. Is that a Fallen then? (Forgive me for asking the obvious)

His expression under that tattered hood and the dynamic pose is really spot on!

Also; always on the look out for cool gear and stowage bits; where did the mag pouches on the new MKVI marine come from? Do they come with a FW kit?

Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

I like the dynamic pose. Make sure the model's head faces the same direction as the sword point, so he looks ready to thrust his weapon into an enemy's vital organs.

Thanks Bjorn! An 'en garde' look would be sweet but with the position I already glued his head and the arms I am using I like to imagine him having sliced through a victim and he is looking for his next.

Wow. Just now catching up on all the Black Legion goodness and your great literary work that accompanies it all. Is that a Fallen then? (Forgive me for asking the obvious)

His expression under that tattered hood and the dynamic pose is really spot on!

Also; always on the look out for cool gear and stowage bits; where did the mag pouches on the new MKVI marine come from? Do they come with a FW kit?

Thank you Yosef! And you are correct, ol Sleipnir here is what "loyalist" Dark Angels would call a Fallen haha. Really wanted to use a Fallen as a leader after reading ADB's Black Legion for the xth time in my life. Basically, this guy was like a beacon to many of them, drawing them to himself which would form their earlier warband before joining the Black Legion. There will be a few more blatant Fallen among my little army.

I am pretty happy with his face. I cannot remember who I saw do it originally but using the bare terminator lord head and the possessed daemons mouth (cut from it's respective head) was something I had to do. I imagine his flesh has turned to something like porcelain, that cracks and breaks away when he talks of bascially uses any facial muscles. Looking forward to painting it white with black eyes, like a shark.

And that's Markus' MKVI marine up there as he was kindly helping me learn how to make them. Looking at that pic its def from FW. You can also try to hunt their plastic version from GW on ebay as they also came with MKIII marines. I've used those quite a bit myself.

Sleipnir looks great, the pose is spot on and I dig the cowled and hidden face.

Thanks Pearson I am feeling Deja Vu again as this is another one of those models where I have had the idea and most of the bits sitting around waiting to be built. I pretty much had everything but that left arm. It was a pain to find cataphractii left arms that I thought would work haha.

He still needs some more work (like the left side of his chest where the cable and stuff just end and a base) but soon he will be ready!