Smite's black legion army. First game of 9th with BAT REP

The defiler conversion is top notch. Will you be getting the new Abaddon at some point ? He would look good in the clean paint style you have going on here.

Thanks Megavolt!

I Don't think I'll be using Abby unless I can think of a conversion that excites me. Don't get me wrong, I think the model is great but its just not my cup of tea.

I've been having some fun piecing together some possessed these past couple of days, makes a nice change of pace to painting gold trim >_<

So I decided that my Berserkers were looking decidedly boring. I wanted to bring a bit more character to the next five I was painting and if they looked good , go back and spruce ups the first five.

First up was the icon of wrath. My first attempt at freehand

( Following this amazing guide https://hullwarhammerandstuff.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/a-step-by-step-guide-to-painting-basic-freehand-designs-on-banners/)

gallery_79340_14723_7427.jpg

While not a total failure it wasn't really sized well and I hadn't planned it out thoroughly enough

Heres the second attempt.

gallery_79340_14723_101727.jpg

Much happier with this one, while not perfect its definitely an improvement. I look forward to refining the technique when I make another icon bearer for my possessed.

Heres the 5 man Zerker squad completed

gallery_79340_14723_54003.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_19525.jpg

All the Zerker family together !

gallery_79340_14723_14051.jpg

Also got 3 more bikes done. Glad to see the back of them actually !

gallery_79340_14723_94952.jpg

And the entire biker gang together .

gallery_79340_14723_32802.jpg

Not sure what to get stuck into next painting-wise . I've got a chain lord but I'm not 100% happy with the conversion. The defiler needs base coating and I'm having fun making possessed and a couple more HQ's for some variety.

I might also build 5 more Bolter CSM just to be able to field a brigade or double battalion.

Also got a new army to start of the pointy eared variety !

Happy hobbying everyone !

Those Zerkers look great! And you did a wonderful job with the freehand. I too will have to steal that idea.

What paints did you use on the banner? Those colors are impressive. And is it the same color scheme that you used on your Rhino's red panels and your Chosens' robes?

Hot damn those bikers look awesome in a 10 man squad! I'm totally stealing the banner freehand too for my Chosen banner bearer!

Nice work!

BCC

I wish I could take them as a squad of 10 but sadly its 9 max. I've got two different champion load outs. That banner tutorial is so good, I might have to try something similar on the hatch doors of my first rhino.

Those Zerkers look great! And you did a wonderful job with the freehand. I too will have to steal that idea.

What paints did you use on the banner? Those colors are impressive. And is it the same color scheme that you used on your Rhino's red panels and your Chosens' robes?

Thank you ! Yes all the reds are pretty much the same. Gory red mixed with black about 50/50 to get the desired Burgundy colour. Then for highlights just add more gory red until your final highlight is pure gory red. 

Managed to get my chain lord all finished. Can't wait to field him, when ever that may be.

Think I'll tackle the defiler next and convert my possessed and 5 CSM when I get stuck or bored.

Where is that combi bolter from?

The Combi Bolter and chain glaive are from Kromlech.

gallery_79340_14020_118837.jpg

The chainglaive handle is a bit flimsy, mine broke off in foam storage so I just made it a short handle.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone!

Hope. you've all been keeping sane these past few months. They've been incredibly trying for me in all regards and so naturally the hobby has fallen by the wayside.

I've finally managed to get a little bit time to potter about at the hobby desk.

WIP Defiler

gallery_79340_15455_137042.jpg

gallery_79340_15455_35418.jpg

I'm getting there but I'm finding it hard to give the metal frame some colour or make it interesting somehow. Any suggestions greatly appreciated !

I also bought something I've been eyeing for a while but I rarely see ones that aren't a silly price on ebay

A forgeworld dreadnought

gallery_79340_15455_53224.jpg

It was missing the underslung chassi weapon so I added a flamer in from the Kataphron destroyer set. The bayonet was also missing from the autocannon arm so I found something suitable in the bits box. The khorne icon isn't fixed in place yet

gallery_79340_15455_87486.jpg

I've also somewhat hopefully magnetised the arms with out considering how difficult it is to buy alternates! Would love a lascannon and maybe a missile launcher but could be waiting years for reasonably priced ones to show up on ebay.

gallery_79340_15455_37181.jpg

I've also been Frankensteining up some possessed, here are a few of my favourite

gallery_79340_15455_55136.jpg

gallery_79340_15455_65455.jpg

gallery_79340_15455_47125.jpg

And the rest.

gallery_79340_15455_62233.jpg

I'm not that happy with these guys but they're ok. Most of the possessed heads are silly looking and I tried to modify some. I can at least say that none of them look alike or that any parts are noticeably doubled (even tho there are plenty of doubles)

I'm really looking forward to the new chaos codex when ever that may be. Think I'll hold off on any new purchases to see whats in store rules wise. I still consider myself a gamer first, kitbash and convertor second and painter LAST! So I get inspiration from playing games (which I havent done in 6 months ) and from good robust rules.

Hope all of you and your families have been keeping safe.

Edited by SmiteThemAll

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You've done a similar thing to your possessed as I have... kit bashing with the new sculpts.

Actually I was working very hard on my own 10 man squad but I stopped for a while when 9th came out, then I started up again because the rest of my Black Legion is nearly done... then I started to get this sneaky suspicion that GW will release a possessed kit for chaos. I started to think this because of the Primaris back story with the codex, and then I saw the Death Guard rules for them and thought... it's starting to really make sense. 

But seeing what you've done here, I may complete my own. They are truly inspiriational!

• 2 weeks later...

That dark red on the defiler is awesome!

Thanks mate, the carapace was really easy to highlight, I've struggled a bit with the other red armour pieces but that carapace carries it !

That dark red on the defiler is awesome!

Not just the colour, but the entire conversion. I bet that took a while to do.

Thanks man, I had the idea in my head for a while and had some failed iterations but once I got the right bits it didn't take too long, I'm tempted to make another !

Love the work, currently in nearly the same boat, going hard with possessed (and waiting for another box for bits infusion any day now)

Mixing them up with other kits (especially swapping heads) is the key to making em look right, commendable kitbashing there!

Thanks man, would love to see your take on the possessed. Its been fun but its all adding up price wise! Lots of bits from ebay.

Yeah. Last time I checked, oblitterators werent even created anymore by GW. Didnt even find them on the store page.

Oblitterators make much better for conversions. They are made for this.

The old oblits were so terrible so I started my conversion when they were the current model, the new model is ok but doesn't really do it for me. Think you can only get them in the chaos get started box?

You've done a similar thing to your possessed as I have... kit bashing with the new sculpts.

Actually I was working very hard on my own 10 man squad but I stopped for a while when 9th came out, then I started up again because the rest of my Black Legion is nearly done... then I started to get this sneaky suspicion that GW will release a possessed kit for chaos. I started to think this because of the Primaris back story with the codex, and then I saw the Death Guard rules for them and thought... it's starting to really make sense.

But seeing what you've done here, I may complete my own. They are truly inspiriational!

Thanks for the kind words Prot, I've been struggling for inspiration recently so I'd love to see your possessed !

I know how you feel, I've been very uninterested in Chaos specifically because of the transitional feeling around the army at the moment. Can't play, on the brink of new rules and sooo many outdated sculpts.

My only fear with potential new possessed models is that they are considerably bigger and have bigger bases. Guess only time will tell.

I've got some updates!!!

Here are some CSM, I made 2 aspiring champions, can't actually remember why >_<

gallery_79340_15455_35636.jpg

The Deffy is pretty much done, had some fun painting this, enjoyed trying out some new ideas to make the metal parts seem grimey

gallery_79340_15455_21937.jpg

And here are the FREAKY BOIS ready for an undercoat

gallery_79340_15455_113550.jpg

I also bought a landraider with forgerworld doors, so much for waiting for a new codex for before making more purchases. It was a steal however at Edited by SmiteThemAll

Yeah. Last time I checked, oblitterators werent even created anymore by GW. Didnt even find them on the store page.

Oblitterators make much better for conversions. They are made for this.

The old oblits were so terrible so I started my conversion when they were the current model, the new model is ok but doesn't really do it for me. Think you can only get them in the chaos get started box?

Happy hobbying guys, stay safe.

Yeah, same. I mail ordered some blitz but they didnt arrive. Which model did you use to convert them?

+condensed unnecessary quote+

Edited by Prot
Reduced unnecessary Quote

Thanks! I built a set of possessed around those DV chosen in my sig blog, another 5 are painted but more standard parts.

As for the metals on your defiler, try using some blue/purple washes selectively on different detail areas to differentiate the mechanics, blued metal from heat bloom and such

and if you aren't familiar with weathering pigments, you can still mimic the style of em with some dark browns for crease dirt, oil stains, mud splash etc.

Ps jealous of that black legion dreadnought!

Edited by Syrakul

• 2 weeks later...

Smitethemall: its so nice to see another hobbyist who paints Black Legion with the traditional colours, silver trim and leave gold just for pads etc! It looks like you're on the road to some awesome stuff this year to!

-glances over to own BL-....hmmmmmmmm

BCC