A Skjald´s tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

Really nearing on finishing the bodies!

All done bar the pelts. Finishing now the heads of all of them one a piece, will do first the five that have the sculpt in the miniature and paint the other heads separately.

First two done, wanted to finish these first since painting blonde hair is a bitch!

Without further ado I present you with:

Harald Finehair

0Ye4yU3.jpg

Borg the Blood Eagle

VWQOR0d.jpg

All my Varagyr are comprised by Jarls who fell to conquest from High Jarl Ragnar. Next in line Haraldson, Horik and Einar.

Edited by Grieux

I've been eagerly awaiting progress on these guys, and you don't disappoint. The work/effort you've made to salvage the Varagyr models is outstanding!

Give that man a Great Company!!

You've really inspired me to up my game with the Sons now, all is not yet dust.....

You're making good progress on the Wolf Guards.

Thanks mate I've got the family on vacations while I'm working so I've got a lot more time than normal.

Would really like to complete the wolf guard by Sunday and that way I can dedicate Monday to airbrush this little reward treat:

bsbC6qm.jpg

I've been eagerly awaiting progress on these guys, and you don't disappoint. The work/effort you've made to salvage the Varagyr models is outstanding!

Give that man a Great Company!!

You've really inspired me to up my game with the Sons now, all is not yet dust.....

Dude just realised when I finish all I have in WIP I'll actually have a 2,000 points legal list!!!!

Age of Darkness Army List [2000pts]

HQ

Caster of Runes (Wolf Priest) [155pts]

Aether-rune armour

Second psychic Mastery Level

Force Axe

Praetor, Legion [255pts]

Selections: Aether-rune armour, Digital Lasers, Fenrisian Wolf, Fenrisian Wolf, Iron Halo, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade, Power Fist, Volkite Charge

Speaker of the Dead (Wolf Priest) [145pts]

Aether-rune armour

Great Frost Blade

Elites

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [200pts]

Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon

Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with Heavy Flamer

Techmarine Covenant [70pts]

Selections: Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Cyber-familiar, Melta Bombs, Power Axe, Rad Grenades, Servo-arm

Troops

Varagyr Wolf Guard Terminator Squad , Compulsory [310pts]

Varagyr Wolf Guard Terminator Squad , Compulsory [310pts]

Rite of War

Selections: The Pale Hunters

Lords of War

Leman Russ [555pts]

Selections: The Wolf-kin of Russ

Might only work for zone mortalis due to lack of transports but still!!!

Hobby mojo 200%!!!

And after that the Thawk and I'll be almost at 3,000 Onslaught list level, will just need to add a Land Raider Phobos with exploration augury array and a laser vindicator.

Edited by Grieux

Your really forging the path on these guys. I think I like a lot of others really wrote these guys off when I saw the fur sculpt on the originals. You've fixed all that and they are looking great. Fair play, that's a ton of effort.

The death mask guy looks like an absolute beast. Like Juggernaut from the x-men comics (that's not a criticism btw).

Thank you so much guys. I'm really glad how they're coming along since there were many bets that could have not worked in the project (and indeed some that didn't lol).

On a side note I've been again over optimistic lol. Despite all bodies being 100% done, based and varnished and the arms already airbrushed and all plates painted, I'll be lucky if I finish by tomorrow the arms for the thegns.

These pelts from kfstudio are incredible but super time consuming to paint!

Plus I want to add some very mild weathering like steaks from the armour chips and sand on the feet.

It always baffles me how some of you can be so time efficient!

I really didn't like those masks when they first were shown off. But, I really like how they look on the terminators! Great work!

Thanks! I think it's a lot because the head sculpts are quite big and look funny in small marines but the Varagyr scale much better.

That's what irks me about the space wolf release from fw, there was really a lot of quality in the sculpts but they needed some polishing to integrate!

Yes it's to scare their devils away. After reading all the lore on SW, I've really begun to see them partially like orcs: their charms and masks give them part of some sort of anti chaos gestalt. Whilst this was understood and observed in the Heresy it really seems in 40k all that remains is the rite but they've lost the sense behind it, and yet it works because they believe.

That does sound orkish haha. "If I think it will work, and so do my brothers, then it has to work!" and now that I think of it... Orks are the galaxies most positive thinkers. I do think rituals become procedure and some lore and background is lost. I think that's just way things go, even in the grim darkness of the far future.

Yes! Finally almost finished the thegns! Almost, at least. They've been gloss varnished to apply decals and mild weathering. Also I will eventually swap the head of Eidolon since I don't think it fits but right now I want to finish the two squads. They're hard to photograph due to varnish reflecting too much light and changing the tones a bit:

Rollo!

y8wQ4sz.jpg

SU3RApF.jpg

H31RHpY.jpg

Halfdan the Black

YR2yqtw.jpg

nAQUDJo.jpg

tAaqC5Y.jpg

Edited by Grieux

These look great Grieux.

Maybe you could disguise the fact it is Eidolon a bit more. Paint his hair brown, change the angle of the head a bit? That haircut can look like a great Viking haircut. This is an example of exactly this by a guy called Chris Riley...

Hidden Content
7f7fce7f-ad1e-41f3-a2e6-ad983cc6fbf6.jpe

I didn't recognise this one as Eidolon when I first saw it. I also liked it so much as Viking hair I tried to recreate it in green stuff and it became my Engir Krakendoom.