A Skjald´s tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

Truth is I was a bit lazy with that head. Bjorn Ironside head is ready to be used there but I need to paint it and Eidolon was already painted sooooo...

But will definitely change the hair colour and use it as huskarl for another unit!

(Pictures again so you don't need to go backwards to page 2)

Rollo Lothbrok

y8wQ4sz.jpg

SU3RApF.jpg

H31RHpY.jpg

Halfdan

YR2yqtw.jpg

nAQUDJo.jpg

tAaqC5Y.jpg

Edited by Grieux

Thank you guys. Yes they are original arms but with the pelts replaced with kfstudio pelts, just like the ones in the loin.

I have a problem guys: my list will be centered around these 2 squads of 5 cataphractii led by Arjac (Vigga in 30k) and a rune priest in TDA with the armour of Russ.

Issue is I can only use the cataphractii praetor legs in one of the two conversions so help me choose please.

Shall I do Arjac:

8X0yyx4.jpg

Or Njal:

avr5oKu.jpg

Right now I'm leaning towards Arjac since they're all wolf guard and that way I keep style consistency.

Edited by Grieux

I think the pose and detailing suit Njal better, you really want to 'wolf' up the main man.

I'd use one of the Red Butcher legs for Arjsc, they have the dynamic look you'd want and it don't be too hard to convert/remove the offending iconography

Glorious sorceror! I hadn't thought about the butchers for the legs!!

The problem is the still visible cords meant to hold up the skull in the center of Njal's chest. If you want to omit that skull, you must either shave off those cords, or mount something else in the skull's place; otherwise the model will look incomplete.

Agreed. I'm thinking to shave the cords and change the other two skulls for wolf skulls instead to represent the two heads of morkai or freki and Geri.

Wasn't really happy with the posing on Njal so this morning I risked the family's wrath and I'm much happier with these results:

QVii3bb.jpg

I think I'm going to keep the straps and not use the previously shown shoulder pads because:

1- I want to reserve that model of shoulder pad for the wolf guard and Njal isn't even from a company

2- He's meant to wear the armour of Russ if I use him as non Njal and he has straps instead of fur under the shouler pads

Can you help me with the last point of Njal conversion? I wanted to add his pelt on top of the armour but I feel the wolf head takes away from the composition since the face is such a focal point without it.

Without:

gtFDIHt.jpg

With:

QZSHnAC.jpg

Of course it is a rough blu tack fix but it illustrates the issue with the wolf head going over Njal head.

I see three options:

1. Cut off the head and leave just the pelt

2. Move the pelt backwards

3. No pelt at all

Edited by Grieux

Probably a bit late, but about Eidolon's face : you could do a shadow of shaved beard and hair, I'm pretty sure that would totally break the Eidolon's feeling, which is given by the very clean look of his face. Maybe a thin scar could add smth interresting too.

As for Njal : I totally feel that the wolf pelt is needed, it's really something identifying him as Njal, otherwise he is just another - arguably very stunning - rune priest.

Nothing to say about the paint job, it's top notch. Keep up the good work !

So found the solution and I really like it. But this post is not about that. I'll show it when all green stuff is done for effect purposes.

Now today I completely took a break from Njal and Arjac to... create something I've wanted to do for a long time. True scale heresy era space wolves. I've attempted many times but I was never happy with the result. I think now I got it. Problem is now I might have to do 14 guys more like this:

idIItMf.jpg

ZolJ1ah.jpg

They scale great with the Varagyr but geez they're involved.

Your thread has always been a constant inspiration and your models are so cool! 

The thing I must say is that I'm not a huge fan of the daemon-head in Njal's spell effect. I'd be inclined to suggest you use the head/shoulders of a fenrisian wolf to suggest an ethereal wolf-spirit! (Isn't there a Space Wolf power called something like, 'the jaws of the world wolf'?) 

I knew with a bit of effort the DG kit could work for other legions -- I've done some Night Lords that I'll post up eventually. I'm determined to make one a Thousand Son apothecary... but it'll be some effort....

Great work as always mate! I'm really going to have to raise my game to match these dudes with my Thousand Sons!

Really glad you've got your true scale wolves sorted, pity they'll die on Prospero.....