A Skjald´s tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

Your thread has always been a constant inspiration and your models are so cool!

The thing I must say is that I'm not a huge fan of the daemon-head in Njal's spell effect. I'd be inclined to suggest you use the head/shoulders of a fenrisian wolf to suggest an ethereal wolf-spirit! (Isn't there a Space Wolf power called something like, 'the jaws of the world wolf'?)

Thanks! I did buy a flock of ravens to represent the choser of the slain spell!

idIItMf.jpg

ZolJ1ah.jpg

I knew with a bit of effort the DG kit could work for other legions -- I've done some Night Lords that I'll post up eventually. I'm determined to make one a Thousand Son apothecary... but it'll be some effort....

Great work as always mate! I'm really going to have to raise my game to match these dudes with my Thousand Sons!

Really glad you've got your true scale wolves sorted, pity they'll die on Prospero.....

Edited by Grieux

Thinking about that and you know what would look great? The dead body of Izzakar Orr in some of my base.

Superb idea! Although didn't his head get totally diced by Bulveye?! I've got plenty of bits going spare, I'll even give them a metallic red basecoat for you if you want! You can then trade me a few Wolf bits for my base!!

Thank you so much guys! Much appreciated.

ODIN'S BEARD!!!!

How did you put that marine together!

It's actually all cleaned up death guard kits, I'll post a tutorial when I receive my next batch.

Finished another one and modified claw leader loadout since it was a rush job to see how he looked yesterday.

dn96uOc.jpg

hB7pG0M.jpg

gA7o4Zk.jpg

The torsos are pretty simple it's the legs where you have to be a surgeon with a scalpel to eliminate all the corruption.

Tomorrow I might try to see how the torsos look with some mkii or mkiii looking legs from terminators since I might not have the drive to make 15 like this. If it doesn't look good I'll settle for one long fang squad.

Edited by Grieux

So to hell with waiting until tomorrow. Just tested the Varagyr legs:

Wk3pAYo.jpg

GQEFqFD.jpg

rsGupGB.jpg

I really like him but the only issue I can see is the legs and scale is so similar to the Varagyr that might make them look like they have less gravitas.

What do you think guys? I could make 15 of these much easier than pure mkiii. Maybe some other terminator legs like the grave wardens might work better since they are smaller than the Varagyr.

Oh and here's the final concept for Njal, only some minor green stuff needed and the spell effect:

hzIFqlk.jpg

Pr3beWJ.jpg

Edited by Grieux

I absolutely adore the varagyr legs, and don’t think it detracts from the terminators at all. Then again, though, I’m a big proponent of the idea that terminators should be the same height as power armored marines, only much bulkier, since it doesn’t make sense for them to grow a few inches once they put on TDA. That said, if you’re not sold on it, by all means stick to the Death Guard or Tartaros/Cataphractii legs—it’s your army, and the most important thing is that you like the way it looks. And since you’re doing such a good job of de-Nurgling the Death Guard, we know the end result will look great whatever you choose to do ;)

Yes yes, join usssss... :biggrin.:
Looking great so far. Maybe putting the Varagyr on terrain pieces on their bases might be a quick option for returning their dignity but I think Njal scales up nicely with the power armoured marines.

Edited by Markus_

I have to go against the grain and say that I am not a massive fan of the varagyr legs.

For one, looking at the forward leaning pose of the varagyr, the more upright marine appears as tall if not taller and just as bulked out, plus doing all legs with varagyr will remove a lot of the individuality from your elite army.

If you go down the terminator leg route, maybe the plastic cataphractii or tartaros legs would be better

The DG legs look great and although needing work will be more cost effective and look the part more than varagyr legs.... and the plastics will be a fair bit cheaper than ashen circle legs too :D

I have to agree with Dantay on the legs, if you are using them on both PA and TDA models it looks odd. Especially given the style of the varagyr. Potentially other TDA legs may be better.

I personally think the standard terminator is too small to adequately represent the 'reality' of the increased armour. Looking at the Mk3 dude with Varagyr legs he looks bigger and tougher than the terminator!! That's why I'd avoid it. I would try to keep your elites looking suitably distinct.

I'd be inclined to stick with either DG, Mk3 or Ashen Circle legs!

When I've de-nurgled my own DG I've found a dremel detailing handle with an ball headed engraving tool works well. A rounded exacto blade also helps shape the plastic. I know it's a pain to do, I was lucky as I could just cover stuff in rust where I'd not shaped the plastic well enough.

All other terminator legs are too thick on the shin. I´ve ordered 5 grave wardens legs to try but what do you think about this modified pattern of Varagyr legs?

Before:

Wk3pAYo.jpg

DP7m8oV.jpg

After:

KeLuAaK.jpg

UweSEeW.jpg

Cv5Yaef.jpg

j8im5P7.jpg

In height it definitely separates him from the Terminators much better and likens him to my commander (left in comparison pic), and now his waistline is at a much better height. Another thing I do like is the fact that the visual language marries very well with the rest of the pieces (diamond spikes in torso and in shins, banded layers on shoulder and in shins).

Key questions being:

• With the removal of the extra layer of plate the Varagyr have in the thigh, does it differentiate enough from the elite terminators?
  • Is the shin too thick?
Key for me is finding a method that works and is not as involved as scraping the death guard legs since that´s really a chore and there are only like 5 different legs between both and right that are salvageable so in the long run my poses will be very limited. Edited by Grieux

Whilst I still prefer the DG legs, the removal of the thigh plate makes a lot of difference!

I hope Grave Warden legs look suitably good given this treatment. I'd try to limit the Varagyr legs to Sgts and avoid using them for line troops; just to make the terminators stand out.

All that said, a great work around, I like it --- and I was determined not too!!

Wow, really?

They are that much bigger? Definitely could not mix them through my Space Wolves then. The new DG must be absolute monsters... May use the set from conquest and use the legs for unit champions and the DG torsos for dead T-Sons who were mutating :D

The varagyr legs look better with the plates filed down. Have you thought to add cabling like on Bjorns legs to get a mark 5 kind of feel for them?

Yes I've considered some options but I'm almost done with 5 distinct pairs of true scale mkiii that I'm happy with so it's a matter of molding and doing 30 copies.

This is the size difference:

O0digwv.jpg

They're not only taller but much bulkier and the torsos actually have an abdomen so overall they tower over regular mkiii.

I wish all the heresy had this scale! The Varagyr certainly are. Bought the deathsroud to make tartaros space wolves but they're 2 heads shorter!

Edited by Grieux

that is a massive size shift.

Primaris death guard.

Could use them for wulfen rather than Primaris.

Beyond that I am sticking to regular sized Marines. Got the bits , now just need time and motivation to build.

I look forward to seeing what you create.

Would the plague Marines from conquest not help you and Dave cash. Alongside molding them?