A Skjald´s tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

Bought all the plague marines there are, a couple of each. Needed around 15 models to manage to kit bash 5 pairs of legs.

Torsos I'll use the two models shown above, the ornate one for sergeants and the one with spikes for the troops. It really matches well the visual style of the Varagyr where that same kind of spikes is prominent.

Such impressive conversion work with the DG bits, the different bits work so well together! Definitely looking forward to seeing them painted up!

Thanks mate! I've already finished cleaning 5 pairs and am almost done repairing the damaged bits with green stuff. I bought a 0.3mm lead pencil to finish off the riveting and hopefully next weekend I'll try casting molds and printing 30 legs so I've got enough for 3 squads!

Thanks man. Need some help guys. Already finished cleaning and repairing 5 pairs of legs but riveting is a nightmare since they're so small in the plague marine kit.

What do you think of this result? They need to be cleaned now in the surroundings of each rivet but you get the idea:

LD6dGS9.jpg

MgOjUTX.jpg

Trying to make them all the same size and simetric over a curved irregular surface is driving me crazy to the point where I'm considering just shaving all rivets off and leave the mkiii clean of them.

What do you think? Shall I try a different method? Leave as it is? Just make smooth armour?

Edited by Grieux

Thanks man. Need some help guys. Already finished cleaning and repairing 5 pairs of legs but riveting is a nightmare since they're so small in the plague marine kit.

What do you think of this result? They need to be cleaned now in the surroundings of each rivet but you get the idea:

LD6dGS9.jpg

MgOjUTX.jpg

Trying to make them all the same size and simetric over a curved irregular surface is driving me crazy to the point where I'm considering just shaving all rivets off and leave the mkiii clean of them.

What do you think? Shall I try a different method? Leave as it is? Just make smooth armour?

GS rivets. *thumbs up*

Grieux, are you using a press mold for those rivets? If I remember correctly the rivets the FW sculptors use are brita filter beads, so it wont match the plastic ones, but itll look like the resin ones. Alternatively, drilling a rivet size into a brass rod and filing the outer edges can create a nifty little DIY tool Ive seen people use on larger models to make tiny, tiny rivets. 

I'm sculpting them with a 0.35mm mechanical pencil :p

Do you know how large these filter beads are? Also what's the best way to ensure they're equidistant when the surface is so irregular?

Just checked the GW plastic mkiii and not even these seem to be perfectly equidistant!

You GS'd some rivets? You are a madman but a talented one! Your GS rivets seem to match the plastic ones on the mini just fine.

And seeing as some of the converted DG armor has gouges and rends maybe have some empty sockets where a rivet would have been could be in order.

I'm sculpting them with a 0.35mm mechanical pencil :tongue.:

Do you know how large these filter beads are? Also what's the best way to ensure they're equidistant when the surface is so irregular?

Just checked the GW plastic mkiii and not even these seem to be perfectly equidistant!

I use microbeads, personally, but they are much bigger than the Mark 3 rivets. I didn't find out about the britta filter thing until a few months ago, actually. I was looking through the guy who sculpted the Reavers Instagram and it was in one of the comments. 

Youtube Video of disassembly 

As for ensuring they are equidistant, when I do make rivets I eyeball it :sweat: . Not the most exact science. I've got digital callipers but I rarely break them out.

So I took a small break after all the stress of the rivets. They're now with a crack sculptor in Sweden to finish riveting and then I'll cast molds when they're back.

On the meantime I'm 99% done with Arjac who with some magnetisation doubles up as Hvarl Red blade in 30k!

Only waiting for some belt feed bullets to put into the heavy bolter mag well.

vW2iEWK.jpg

Edited by Grieux

So I took a small break after all the stress of the rivets. They're now with a crack sculptor in Sweden to finish riveting and then I'll cast molds when they're back.

On the meantime I'm 99% done with Arjac who with some magnetisation doubles up as Hvarl Red blade in 30k!

Only waiting for some belt feed bullets to put into the heavy bolter mag well.

vW2iEWK.jpg

When you make your molds what do you use in lieu of super sculpey to avoid melting the plastic components?

Thank you so much guys!

Hey Dantay yes indeed he's in tartaros but I decided to just use Hvarl since I have him already built and since all my attempts at tartaros terminators don't marry the design identity of the Varagyr or Russ.

My last attempt wasted 45 pounds in deathsroud who look like dwarves by the Varagyr!!

Also since Hvarl has a 4++ due to iron halo noone should kick a fuss saying I confused them.

And Marshall I've never done molds I'm afraid! I'm going to ask a friend for the legs.

Edited by Grieux

Marshal Rohr

I have used this stuff pretty successfully for making moulds

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/reusable-blue-stuff/8-blue-stuff-mold-8-bars.html?search_query=Blue+Stuff+Mold+8+bars&results=2

Youtube videos further down show pretty well how the stuff works

I use Smooth On Mold Max series, personally. When you do a two part mold with that, you’re supposed to use a polymer clay base to hold the master which is fine for resin, but the plasticizers in the clay will ‘melt’ GW plastic parts. If he’s gonna cast up the legs I was just wondering if he had an alternative so they don’t get ruined (and also shameless so I could steal thenodea for my own molds).

Super impressive work on everything, but man that Njall is a really nice looking conversion! Just a random idea but instead of the demon face psyker flame, maybe a wolf instead? Definitely looking forward to seeing him painted up though!

Thanks man I actually pre-ordered the endless spells from beasts of chaos and will graft in there a flock of ravens to represent Huginn and Muninn!

Man ! All your wolves look awesome !! Great work all over the thread ! (the use of Sevatar and Khârn !!) I'm impressed ! Those are some real big bad wolves. I'm following :thumbsup: .

Keep on the good job !

Malchy