MaliGn's Underhive Adventure - shot through the heart

MaliGn

Thanks Bjorn

Ok back to the Underhive I've finished my most recent walls so I gathered the whole lot together and popped them on somemtiles for a quick phone photo shoot.

gallery_62155_16800_143747.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_458595.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_527959.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_439965.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_131929.jpg

Quick close up on the Orlock Graffiti I put on these.

My next project is to knock up a walkway for the Facebook terrain group's competition, watch this space for updates.

Edited by MaliGn

Again, impressive.

http://i64.tinypic.com/123qex3.jpg

Is the structure with the skull-filled arch an underhive church? If so, to whom- God-Emperor, Chaos, the Shadow in the Warp (Genestealers)? If not, what is it- miniature cemetary, "Trespassers beware!" sign on an underhive gang's headquarters, something else?

Is the structure with the skull-filled arch an underhive church? If so, to whom- God-Emperor, Chaos, the Shadow in the Warp (Genestealers)? If not, what is it- miniature cemetary, "Trespassers beware!" sign on an underhive gang's headquarters, something else?

Yes.

Serious point is that if a piece can raise these kinds of questions then at any given time it could be used as any of these things.

Since I am faced with a deadline for building and painting some kind of bridge by the 29/11 (British counting) I have been hard at work getting construction sorted asap as I am also in the process of buying a new house and getting ready to move so the bits boxes will be getting packed away before too long.

My basic idea is to construct a frame and build it up from there, so I grabbed some bits of sprue, some wire mesh and some plasticard and set to work:

all images removed
Underside stage 1

Top, - note the pipes are not glued in any of the pics as I plan to paint them separately to avoid not being able to paint them through the mesh.

I used some cut down hooks from one of the chaos vehicle sprused and pinned them to the framework to suspend the bridge from any scenery it needs to link. Also used plasticard checker plate panels for details on the walkway.

Underneath I have glued the pipes to each other, and created some boxes that they go into from razorback heavy bolter ammo boxes since the pipes were fractionally shorter than the walkway. Also added a lamp, cables and a piece to represent a broken lamp.

I took this photo after I had packed stuff away, hence some of the junk in the middle of the walkway that I need to hang onto, but this shows the broken railing on one side of the bridge. I'm musing on popping some skulls atop the verticals on the handrail, but maybe I should try something else, any suggestions?

Well, that's as far as I've got for now, let me know what you think.

Edited by MaliGn

These are awesome! I’m planning a similar project but can’t decide between trying to do an imperial complex/ship or an underhive type space. Youre definately swinging me towards the latter!

Thanks! Of the two ideas I reckon that the former would need more repeated elements and regular elements whereas the second has more scope for variety.

images removed

Progress report:

I know i'm technically taking a break from walls but I rather couldn't resist detailing up the two pieces I had been using as supports for the walkway.

I didn't over think the arches as much as I did last time, they aren't as detailed as the last one, but I think they are a little more even.

One of these is designed specifically for my homage to Hull (in the north east of England ) graffiti history.

Oh and I finished construction of the walkway:

I'm planning to add some tarpaulains hanging over the railing, but i'm not 100% on this. i was also thinking of adding more gubbins hanging down under the walkway like chains or something, but i'm conscious of storage issues.

Edited by MaliGn

Continuing to knock this project out the park mate, I think some overhanging tarp would look smashing.

I'm actually from Hull, so I'm keen to see how that aspect is developed. :wink:

Then you probably have an idea where I'm heading. I lived there from 2002-2010.

Cheers Bjorn, it's just sponged on with a make-up sponge, after a drybrush of leadbelcher over black. Colours are built up with layers of rhinox hide, mournfang brown then ryza rust. In this I have added some patches of a mixed Rhino hide/leadbelcher blend to add a bit more texture. I also have the support pegs a heavy wash with carroburg crimson to create a redder effect as a test for some future pieces.

Started adding colour, worked on the hazard stripes at the ends of the walkway - I've tried to make the middle look more worn away than the edges, and it is also less rusted in general because I figure people would be more likely to stick to the middle of the walkway when crossing.

Started getting some old paintwork onto the hand rails and then splashed a bit of typhus corrosion around.

images removed

Edited by MaliGn

• 3 weeks later...

Got my bridge finished for the competition:

gallery_62155_16800_462063.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_895209.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_858988.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_385432.jpg

All in all i'm pretty pleased with it, tried to create a simple bridge with enough narrative hints in it to be interesting - who was blasted through the broken barrier? Who risked their life to spray paint the 'Slaught tag and the damaged wanted posted strewn across the walkway.

I'm also happy with the wear patterns on the hazard stripes at the ends and along the main areas of wear on the walkway.

Edited by MaliGn

Fantastic terrain! You have great imagination :)

Thanks Majkhel!

Impressive.

Cheers

That rust is excellent, both it and the graffiti tag look most realistic.

Thanks nos, I kinda regret not making the tag a little bigger, but I have been trying to learn the principles of graffiti art, from simple tags to the bigger pieces, researching alphabets, wildstyle lettering and so on. Edited by MaliGn

So here's my tribute piece to legendary Hull graffiti "Dead Bod" the iconic piece of art adorned the side of a pier building for some 40 years before the building was demolished. Such was the mystreet story of the piece that it was rescued and now hangs in a local art gallery (literally the side of the the building) I have attempted to recreate this in the Underhive.

gallery_62155_16800_477564.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_133073.jpg

Spot the difference!

Edited by MaliGn

Is "Dead Bod" the signpost for a business? Maybe a bar, a mortuary, an arms dealership, or a combination of the above- a bar that recycles the hivers' proteins (cooks the dead bodies and serves them to starving hivers, a form of legalized cannibalism) while selling black market weapons to anyone with the cash to pay?

Ah yes, that's excellently done mate, a real iconic piece that.

Is "Dead Bod" the signpost for a business? Maybe a bar, a mortuary, an arms dealership, or a combination of the above- a bar that recycles the hivers' proteins (cooks the dead bodies and serves them to starving hivers, a form of legalized cannibalism) while selling black market weapons to anyone with the cash to pay?

Those are some great ideas and ones that certainly wouldn't go amiss in the setting.

• 2 years later...

Ok, I need a break from my word bearers after the six month journey of painting up a Heldrake so I've dusted off my Necromunda stuff that is still WIP. I will go back and tidy up this thread given that TinyPic followed the path of photobcucket in blocking the pictures. I don't think I have the original images anymore so bear with me as I create some replacements.

Anyway for some new content I picked up the free Witch Aelf from GW in November and have added some left over Escher bits to make her into a ganger.

gallery_62155_16800_46822.jpg

I have every hope that paint will help sell this effect.