Ferrum Aeternum - A brief return - with Paint!

Thanks Markus_

I was toying with chainmail last night actually. I've got a tabard spare still but they're kinda puny on something this size. I don't trust my GS skills enough to do decent chainmail but I really think it'd work well. I'll have a play around with it all and see what I can do. There's still lots of work to do on this guy anyway.

Damn that Leviathan looks great already, what cool kits. I really like the banner and think either leaving it as is, or adding chainmail are both viable options.

Chainmail is a surprisingly easy to make with greenstuff, I was getting quite good results just using the tip of a fine-liner pen. Worth a practice, at any rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pearson.

I'm loving the Leviathan kit for the sheer size but I do think there is such a thing as too-posable. Its a real pai in the A to hold all the parts together and see what looks right and then hold them again for gluing. Also not having the instructions didn't help...

I'm waiting on some more bitz and a greenstuff cast a mate has made for me and I was gonna wait to work on the dread some more till they came but I think you can all guess by now that that was never going to happen. I've been tinkering and doing a little work with what I've got and here is where the dread stands thus far:

gallery_115548_14900_216102.jpg

Incase I haven't mentioned it yet or you've skipped over the text for most posts (admit it, we all do it just to see the new pics on blogs), this guy is going to be an Iron Clad. I went with the Leviathan body partly because its already got a lot of the armament for an Iron Clad in-built, partly because I needed a suitably big dread to go alongside the truescale army, but mainly becuase I've always wanted one.

The currently-truncated Storm Cannon is going to become a Hurricane Bolter. I made up the bolter section using the existing Iron Clad bolters but they looked comically tiny and so had to go. I'm waiting on a bunch of heavy bolters and will use them instead as a quad-linked heavy bolter. Should look better size wise ut still give the impression of LOTS of shots coming your way.

I've also gone back and made a new Techmarine Gunner to serve my Thunderfire Cannon:

gallery_115548_14900_266722.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_381151.jpg

I have to say, I'm actually starting to hate Servo-harnesses. They are sooooo big and bulky yet flimsy-as to model and are really just a pain. I had to do some major chopping and pinning to get this one together from various left-overs and some pretty (very) average recast bitz I got from a mate. Overall impression; I like the actual marine, still not sold on the harness but he's still way better than the original gunner (see early posts). More work to be done on him but I've lost the drive for now.

Hopefully next update will bring some significant additions to the dread and a resolution to the tabard conundrum.

Cheers,

PHM

A nice pose on the dread, the quad heavy bolter will look absolutely brutal. Are you considering adding larger patterns of dreadnought to your force at any point?

The techmarine gunner looks good, does seem a little busy with all the servo arms, but then I guess the harnesses are there to add many helping hands.

A nice pose on the dread, the quad heavy bolter will look absolutely brutal. Are you considering adding larger patterns of dreadnought to your force at any point?

The techmarine gunner looks good, does seem a little busy with all the servo arms, but then I guess the harnesses are there to add many helping hands.

Hadn't planned on larger-pattern dreads, like the Contemptor and up but I do have an idea to use a FW Mechanicum Thanatar as a stand-in dread so that could be a way to do it. The scale is roughly the same but visually they will be so different that there shouldn't be any confusion. It's just  a shame the 40k Contemptors have such a limited range of weapon options coz I recon another Conversion Beamer might be needed in the army...

As for the Techy, yeah, he's too busy but the gunners have a full harness so he needs to be modeled with it. I tried to arm the previous version as counts-as but really didn't like how he turned out in the end.

Hadn't planned on larger-pattern dreads, like the Contemptor and up but I do have an idea to use a FW Mechanicum Thanatar as a stand-in dread so that could be a way to do it. The scale is roughly the same but visually they will be so different that there shouldn't be any confusion. It's just  a shame the 40k Contemptors have such a limited range of weapon options coz I recon another Conversion Beamer might be needed in the army...

As for the Techy, yeah, he's too busy but the gunners have a full harness so he needs to be modeled with it. I tried to arm the previous version as counts-as but really didn't like how he turned out in the end.

Are you telling us you've gotten all these Forge World stuff, and haven't gotten the FW Index for Marines that lets you have a Contemptor with a Conversion Beamer? :lol:

The Thanatar could work, especially if you're using Ambots as Automata; Cryptix makes a good suggestion with the heavy Custodes dread too.

Are you telling us you've gotten all these Forge World stuff, and haven't gotten the FW Index for Marines that lets you have a Contemptor with a Conversion Beamer? :laugh.:

Apparently so. Heh. Where do I get it?

For a Contemptor you could use the Heavy one from custodes, though at that point you might be getting a little too truescale.

The Custodes Dread is truely immense. While it would tie in with my Aquilon Termis I think you're right, thats getting a bit too big. But, I'm crazy, so who knows... maybe could wangle it as a Redemptor :whistling:

The Thanatar could work, especially if you're using Ambots as Automata; Cryptix makes a good suggestion with the heavy Custodes dread too.

Still thinking that's the way to go. I do want to have a bunch of robots in the army as counts-as units. The Ambots/Centurions, Thallax/Servitors, probably a Thanatar/Some-kind-of-Dread and I was looking at maybe some combat bots from FW as an Assault Squad; probably the Scyllax.

All for the future right now. Still have a lot of stuff I've already bought to make up

Are you telling us you've gotten all these Forge World stuff, and haven't gotten the FW Index for Marines that lets you have a Contemptor with a Conversion Beamer? :laugh.:

Apparently so. Heh. Where do I get it?

It's right here. Though that's the US link, since that's where I am. :lol:

From FW, derp, yeah, of course. I'll look in to it. While I'm using heaps of FW models, most of them are being converted to counts-as stuff. But the Beamer-totting (Relic?) Contemptor does sound nice. That Thanatar is looking less like a pipe-dream and more like a must-have.

• 2 weeks later...

Back with a little update for you all. I've managed to get the Ironclad to that 90-95% pre-greenstuff-patching stage that everything seems to stall at so I thought I'd share pics of where he's at:

gallery_115548_14900_787524.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_765753.jpg

He now has his hurricane bolters installed and the detailing around the tabard is sorted. Ended up going with a crotch-shield and a techy censor to emphasise the machine-worship idea.

Hope you all like

Huge fan of the way you've tackled the hurricane bolters, just so chunky and brutal.

The tabard and shield work well, as do the other little details such as the trim and clan symbol.

Thanks Pearson

Looking great with four heavy bolters, though now he looks like his weapon has 8 shell ejection ports on it. Ah, good ol´ days of dakka!

Yeah, the HB ejection ports are part of the final 5-10% that needs to be fixed up. Also gotta blend the weapon sections together a bit more I think

Another update and this time with some new models!

I promised myself I wouldn't start a new unit until I'd 100% finished the rest of the stuff I've built but I find it really hard to get into the mmod to greenstuff so instead I made some Scouts:

gallery_115548_14900_425395.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_308041.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_499166.jpg

Nothing too flash on these guys. I got rid of the backpack mount (more greenstuffing needed to patch holes) to make them less 'marine' and more 'scout.' I also changed out the combat knives for Ad Mech swords off the Ruststalkers (I think?) to stay closer to the IH feel. I had big plans to use the heads from either the Ruststalkers or the Van Saar Necromunda gang but both options looked really small and bad on the Reiver bodies. A real shame becuase it would have made them really distinct then. Ah well.

EDIT: Just looked at the Power Fist on the pics and the arm is too long :wacko.: . I'll shorten that as well as drill out all the pistol barrels.

There's a second batch of 5 to do but now I need to order some more swords. I was going to do my second squad as snipers but then these guys popped up over the weekend:

gallery_115548_14899_3079.jpg

Yep. I KNOW I'm not gonna be the only one using these guys as Truescale Sniper Scouts but I don't care. There is so little needs doing on these guys that it'd be crazy not to use them. Backpacks will be removed of course and I have ideas for the heads. Now to wait for Shadowspear to come out...

Edited by PowerHungryMonkey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a little while. Took me ages to get up the will-power to finish cleaning the Aquilons but I finally managed it.

Now that I had a bunch of blank canvases I started work on the Terminator sqaud. Here's the first (near) finished member:

gallery_115548_14900_983664.jpg

Very happy with him. Was a bit of fiddling with head and arms to see what worked and looked good but Im happy with the resault and I have a way forward with the rest of the unit now. I plan to GS cast a Crux from a Sternguard/Vangaurd shoulder for his left pauldron. I have still not managed to reak out the GS for ANYTHING in this army yet so I really have to hop to it or I'll have too big a back-log of minis to finish off.

I also took a size-comaprison shot of the Termi next to a Marine and a Scout to see how they looked. I think the scale is perect:

gallery_115548_14900_590321.jpg

So now I'm a bit torn, do I finish off the squad or do I jump into my Centurions as soon as my pre-ordered Ambots turn up? Its a hard life, no?

Cheers,

PHM

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Hushrong, Pearson and MagicMan. I'm really enjoying making these guys. Something about the blank slate and the sheer size of them makes them immensly fun.

I've managed to stick with them too. Even with the arrivle of some very shiny new Ambots I'm still gonna get the unit of Terminators finished before starting on the Centurions. So, while work is very slow thanks to only an hour or so a week to hobby at the moment, I've got the Sergeant to that 90%-finished standard I seem to get stuck on:

gallery_115548_14900_42045.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_633254.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_454975.jpg

I've also gone back and re-fit the helmet on the heavy flamer guy as it looked too sunken before. There is a vital step left that I have to finish which is the Crux Terminatus on the left shoulder. I've finally broken out the greenstuff and made some casts of a few icons from the Vanguard/Sternguard kits that I'll use. The other 3 Termis are beggining to take shape too and hopefully, time allowing, they'll be presentable very soon.

I also had a bitz order turn up last week. Thanks to Marius Pedro and his awesome Iron Warriors Forgelord, I realised that my Iron Father's axe was a bit on the small side and that he really needed to be armed with something a bit more hefty and more fitting a Relic Blade. So I copied:

gallery_115548_14900_787219.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_560437.jpg

While I really liked the old axe and it more fitted the Techmarine feel I was going for, this one is BIG and I love it.

Hopefully some more Terminators for you all soon.

PHM